wildcat

dealer wants to buy Pontiac from GM

123 posts in this topic

"Third best selling brand for GM in 2008"

Seems like an ambitious undertaking...little concerning the "Pontiacs" he quotes are G5, G6 and Vibe...

I hope so. And I feel that any group willing to spend a non-trivial amount of money on the brand should get it, if not by the bankruptcy court then by the investors. Money is money and Pontiac is an asset that only withers if left in a drawer, like Oldsmobile.

If this new Pontiac was to be built in the US and without union labor, I bet they could be quite competitive, pricewise.

It would also be nice to see the brand properly managed by intelligent people... like how Penske is handling Smart.

Edited by SAmadei

Can you remove the other thread. No point in having two, and it belongs under Pontiac anyway.

http://www.notgonnahappen.net

It makes no sense for GM. They sell the name to a group that doesn't have the money to design or build their own vehicles? Thats a recipe for disaster on both sides. In no time "Pontiac" would be bankrupt (how many independant, 1-line automakers survive in the U.S.?) and GM would be stuck with the cars they built for a brand they didn't want to keep and didn't but any work into updating or replacing.

They might as well offer it for sale. They're going to get no return on it by shutting it down. Considering that Opel, Saab, Saturn, and Hummer are on the block but not sold, you'd think GM's ears would perk up when someone offers to take an unwanted brand off their hands.

Prediction:

2019 A.D.

General Motors CEO "It would have been LESS costly

to keep making Pontiacs at a loss than it was to kill

the brand over the past few years."

Those who do not learn from their mistakes...

Oldsmobile comes to mind.

They might as well offer it for sale. They're going to get no return on it by shutting it down. Considering that Opel, Saab, Saturn, and Hummer are on the block but not sold, you'd think GM's ears would perk up when someone offers to take an unwanted brand off their hands.

So they could continue to build cars and pay outrageous union wages to workers for another company to compete with what GM is offering at BG dealers? GM wouldn't benefit from this at all.

Can you remove the other thread. No point in having two, and it belongs under Pontiac anyway.

Actually, it belongs in GM news.

So they could continue to build cars and pay outrageous union wages to workers for another company to compete with what GM is offering at BG dealers? GM wouldn't benefit from this at all.

What the hell makes you think BG will have anything comparable to Pontiac?

That just isn't going to happen.

If any GM brand attempts to cover some of Pontiac's ground, it will be Chevy.

Nothing Pontiac even remotely fits the Buick brand.

LoL yea a couple of dealers have the money to buy/operate Pontiac.

:rolleyes:

Correction: A group of investers that includes a couple of dealers.

Unless this "group of investors" is Ford Motor Company (or Honda, or Chery, etc), they wont have the resources to do any sort of development or production, so what exactly would they be able to do other than delay the inevitable for a few months?

Edited by Satty

Actually, it belongs in GM news.

Since it was about a specific division, Pontiac, I think it belongs under Pontiac. It's not general GM news.

If any GM brand attempts to cover some of Pontiac's ground, it will be Chevy.

Nothing Pontiac even remotely fits the Buick brand.

If Buick wants to survive, they'd better start making cars that don't "fit" the Buick brand.

Unless this "group of investors" is Ford Motor Company (or Honda, or Chery, etc), they wont have the resources to do any sort of development or production, so what exactly would they be able to do other than delay the inevitable for a few months?

Set it up as a contract build with GM. God knows good marketing hasn't been tried on Pontiac since the 70s. So, a marketing concern takes over that aspect and GM gets to keep some volume builds.

After that, it would get stickier.

But I sure would like to see someone shed the surrender mentality and give it a good shot.

Some jobs could be saved which would please the administration...

Anyway, I'd hope that the idea be explored thoroughly before being dismissed.

Someone needs to try and get something going in our domestic industry.

Do I think it has much chance?

No.

But it would be a nice surprise and I'm glad that someone is looking at it.

There is a giant hole opening in our automotive market, and I'd like to see some American players step up before the recovery cements a foreign victory.

If Buick wants to survive, they'd better start making cars that don't "fit" the Buick brand.

In the Pontiac template?

I think not.

Since it was about a specific division, Pontiac, I think it belongs under Pontiac. It's not general GM news.

Wrong.

It is a deal proposed to GM - by definition this is "GM news".

I would guess "includes" means "largely or totally composed of."

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor