Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

4-Cylinder Equinox Rated Best In Class 32 mpg

[source: MotorAuthority and GM Tweeter]

2010 Chevy Equinox to get 32mpg highway rating, beats Honda and Toyota

Best In Class Numbers by Far

2010-chevrolet-equinox.jpg

Chevrolet revealed pricing for its all-new Equinox crossover earlier this month, and now it has released the expected fuel efficiency rating for its four-cylinder model. Wet to go on sale across the U.S. this June at prices starting from $23,185 (including a $745 destination charge) for the entry-level FWD LS model, the new vehicle offers a $1,800 saving over the outgoing 2009 model.

Dealers are expecting nearly two-thirds of customers will choose the base four-cylinder 182hp (135kW) 2.4L engine over the 264hp (190kW) 3.0L model, not only because it's cheaper but also because the 2.4L model deliver best-in-segment highway fuel economy of 32mpg when equipped with standard FWD – a 25% improvement over the previous model. Efficiency around town is pretty good too, checking in at 22mpg.

Those figures easily match or outperform both the Honda CR-V (20mpg city/27mpg highway) and the Toyota RAV-4 (22mpg city/28mpg highway), GM's primary targets for the Equinox. With its 32mpg highway rating, the Equinox can cover up to 600mi (960km) on a single tank of fuel.

The 3.0L V6 is expected to be EPA rated at 25mpg on the highway and 18mpg in the city, also when equipped with FWD, but official figures for that engine haven't been released.

The Equinox is available in LS, LT and LTZ trim, with standard FWD or optional AWD. Two new engines are offered, each with fuel-saving direct injection and variable valve timing technology.

Standard features include six airbags, four-wheel disc brakes with StabiliTrak electronic stability control and traction control, OnStar connectivity, XM Satellite Radio and 17in alloy wheels.

if the 4 can get better than expected, maybe the 6 will hit 26 highway... nothing big but when it's a numbers game, every bit helps.

edit

they wouldn't have to detune the 3L for the 2 mode would they?... that would great just to see what would be possible with that.

Edited by loki

Important selling point indeed, I assume the GMC will be rated the same? It will be huge step foward from the first Theta which was an even bigger step foward from the Tracker. They need to market the $h! out of these, hopefully GM can win some customers back in this important segment. Still happy with my selection of a Pontiac tho. :AH-HA_wink:

Now GM.... SHOW US WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW THAT YOU'VE SUPPOSEDLY GOTTEN YOURSELF DOWN TO A NUMBER OF BRANDS YOU CAN ACTUALLY MARKET!

Oh wait... I forgot... It's not that you don't have the resources to market, it's just that, as a corporation, you're too stupid to sell cars.

Chalk this accomplishment up to another milestone that NO ONE will hear about or know about. You know, like the Malibu being COTY and GM not using that in advertising until a month before the new COTY was announced.

:rolleyes:

Now GM.... SHOW US WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW THAT YOU'VE SUPPOSEDLY GOTTEN YOURSELF DOWN TO A NUMBER OF BRANDS YOU CAN ACTUALLY MARKET!

Oh wait... I forgot... It's not that you don't have the resources to market, it's just that, as a corporation, you're too stupid to sell cars.

Chalk this accomplishment up to another milestone that NO ONE will hear about or know about. You know, like the Malibu being COTY and GM not using that in advertising until a month before the new COTY was announced.

Yea they never advertise these things like they should.

Thats GM for you FOG. We know how they opperate.

Now for a hybrid version that gets 40/40 and is affordable. THAT would sell like hotcakes... look at the Fusion Hybrid.

Since Vue is now defunct, and they already had the full fledged hybrid in it, I can see no reason why it cannot be applied in Equinox. But of course it is GM.

This is great news indeed, however knowing the losers over at GM, there will be no mention of fuel economy worth a damn to lure in buyers. I think it'll sell well, but I'm going to go on a limb here and think people are still going to be afraid to buy it due to all the troubles at GM right now. If they file Chapter 11, the buying public would probably still buy that $h!ty looking Rav4 or CRV with lower fuel efficiency rather than the obviously better product, simply because GM makes it.

It does look pretty good though, and those numbers are great. Let's hope for GM's sake that it sells. No matter to me though, I wouldn't buy a new GM again in my lifetime.

Since Vue is now defunct, and they already had the full fledged hybrid in it, I can see no reason why it cannot be applied in Equinox. But of course it is GM.

The two-mode hybrid is going to the SRX. Both the SRX are VUE are built in the same plant in Mexico.

Oh noes. GM builds another potentially segment leading vehicle.

Still costs a dime more than the CR-V (CR-V at $21,915 after destination). Is this larger than the CR-V (interior volume)?

The CR-V averages combined 24.5 mpg in real world driving, which exceeds its EPA rating by 1.5. This isn't based on a lot of results, but they are consistent. I wonder if this will match or exceed its rating as well.

Oh noes. GM builds another potentially segment leading vehicle.

Still costs a dime more than the CR-V (CR-V at $21,915 after destination). Is this larger than the CR-V (interior volume)?

The CR-V averages combined 24.5 mpg in real world driving, which exceeds its EPA rating by 1.5. This isn't based on a lot of results, but they are consistent. I wonder if this will match or exceed its rating as well.

too bad the crv is slow. you think honda would come into this century with transmissions one of these days.

ok, i checked... the 'bu should be about 300 lbs less than this... GM needs to put this engine in all midsize vehicles. it will push the highway mileage bar up, and prolly have no peers in city or highway ratings (for the 'Bu)