Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HarleyEarl

New Hyundai Santa Fe

20 posts in this topic

Posted Image

Bigger is better for Santa FE

hristmas has come early at Auto Express - our spy photographers have caught Santa on film. This amazing picture reveals Hyundai's all-new SUV totally undisguised and ready for the road, months ahead of its official launch.

Left exposed in broad daylight, the new Santa Fe's sleek lines are a radical departure from the bulbous look of the existing version, and help take the model upmarket. Set to go on sale in the UK next autumn, the 4x4 will be available with a choice of petrol and diesel engines. And the VGT - Variable Geometry Turbo - badge on the side of this car reveals it's the 2.2-litre oil-burner, which is likely to be the top seller.

The new Santa Fe will be larger than the outgoing model in order to widen the gap between it and the smaller Tucson. The extra size has allowed engineers to fit a versatile seven-seat interior - making the off-roader a viable alternative to a full-size MPV.

Expect plenty of equipment as standard, too, while Hyundai's pioneering five-year warranty will also be a major selling point. Prices have yet to be finalised, but more details are likely to be announced closer to the car's official unveiling at the Geneva Motor Show in March next year. Following the launch of the Santa Fe, Hyundai will then turn its attention to its larger 4x4s.

While the Terracan will continue unchanged until at least 2008, a new big off-roader is already being developed in the US to offer a cut-price alternative to Land Rover's Discovery.
Chris Thorp

Ehh, I dunno. It looks a bit boring to me. And, I don't know why, but those tailights look very familiar...

Reminds me somewhat of a Mazda. It looks a bit wagony to me.

I'm not sure what the hell is going on with my PC... but it won't let me see this pic. Maybe it's the host... Can someone upload to a different one?

Still looks better than the current one, and the future Rav 4

Well, it doesn't have that already-been-in-an-accident look like the current Santa Fe, so it's quite an improvement. Still, there is something odd about it.

It's not quite as groundbreaking as it appeared in earlier spy shots. Still attractive, just nothing new. Something about the profile hints at the Mazda Tribute, and it's not without it's oddities. The thick B-pillar and puny C-pillar are a bit awkward.

It's way too mainstream....very vanilla. The current one is over the top, but at least it's not boring.

Honestly, those taillamps from the side remind me of the previous gen's Elantra.

I'm not sure what the hell is going on with my PC... but it won't let me see this pic. Maybe it's the host... Can someone upload to a different one?

[post="46336"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

*ahem*

The front reminds me of the 9-7x, the rear a Mazda and the side a Montero (or the other SUV that had the swept up window sill design). It screams "cheap" to me, too, especially the window areas and the rear, somewhat unfinished. Hyundai cannot design cars, I'm afraid.

There's nothing particularly interesting about this thing, but there's nothing that offends either. However, it's a huge improvement over the outgoing model. The front door seems to be a little short.

Rehosted:

Posted Image

It's kind of like a more squared Infiniti FX.

Honestly, the more I look at it, the less I like it. I hate the whole rear 3/4's of the vehicle. I honestly need to see more of it before I'll make my final judgements, however, I just don't care for it much right now.

The looks are okay. It's a safe design, and will probably sell well because of it in addition to the fact it'll be a great value. What's really interesting is the fact it's got a diesel coming to our shores, which is great news. Hopefully they'll become more common place in the U.S. What's also interesting is that they went that route instead of going the hybrid route for great fuel economy.

I really like the front and most of the side, not big on the back, especially the massive handle.

Definetely looks like a toned-down Infiniti FX.