2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

A BPG dealer I've had contact with over the past 5-6 months regarding some of their used/GM Certified inventory has had the following 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi sedan available for the past two months now:

FS_1G2HZ5419Y4261175_1.jpg

FS_1G2HZ5419Y4261175_3.jpg

FS_1G2HZ5419Y4261175_4.jpg

It has a tad less than 71k original miles on it, is a fully loaded SSEi model, and from the pictures and e-mails I've received from the sales lady, the car is in excellent condition for its age. The price they're asking is a little high IMO, but as with all used cars I'm sure it could be negotiated to something better.

What I'd like to know is if it would be a smart decision to purchase a 9 year-old car like this, especially since a 24-36 month loan would be needed to buy the car. I'm not saying I will buy this or not regardless of the advice/info, but I would like to get as many PROs and CONs from the knowledgable base here at C&G on this particular year & model Pontiac.

It has a tad less than 71k original miles on it, is a fully loaded SSEi model, and from the pictures and e-mails I've received from the sales lady, the car is in excellent condition for its age. The price they're asking is a little high IMO, but as with all used cars I'm sure it could be negotiated to something better.

What I'd like to know is if it would be a smart decision to purchase a 9 year-old car like this, especially since a 24-36 month loan would be needed to buy the car. I'm not saying I will buy this or not regardless of the advice/info, but I would like to get as many PROs and CONs from the knowledgable base here at C&G on this particular year & model Pontiac.

Looks like a sweet car. I think Lamar has a slightly newer one... a 2001, IIRC.

As for smart decision, even though it is 9 years old, it only has 71K, so that's like having a 5~6 year old car. I think the big question here is how much the car will cost.

The best place to poke around for opinions and troubles would be the BonnevilleForum.com. One specific complaint I am aware of is that some of these were prone to water leakage in the front... similar to the 2004 GP's. Otherwise, I have a 1999 Bonne, and its held up well to 196K so far. The next gen Bonne was much improved over the pre-2000 cars. I've been quite happy with the Series III supercharged 3.8 (in the '04 GP Comp-G). At 71K, I would suggest changing the supercharger oil if you get it, as it can be overlooked.

Being that you are a South Jersey guy, IIRC, there is a 2001 in the local pick-a-part, if you needed any hard to get parts. PM me for the place.

Edited by SAmadei

If I had to amortize the debt on a used vehicle, it would not be 9 years old. By the time you get done paying it off, it will be 12-13 years old. Besides, banks are not going to see this as something they want to lend money out for.

This.

I wouldn't finance any car that was over five years old.

GMTG

I think it is a gorgeous vehicle and the mileage is incredibly low for the age.

However, for the age of the car financially it will not make sense to me to invest, especially if you are going to get a loan that will take 2-3 years to pay. Consider this, if you wait another three months or so, since you have already waited for about 4 months since you were looking for the Suburban, you can get off Aura's lease and then hunt down vehicles. That will give you better peace of mind. I know it is difficult, but hang in there, get over the Aura lease and then go for a better vehicle.

If I had to amortize the debt on a used vehicle, it would not be 9 years old. By the time you get done paying it off, it will be 12-13 years old. Besides, banks are not going to see this as something they want to lend money out for.

Any more than 24 months-then no.

And have money on the side, just in case.

I'd need to take a 36 month loan in order to be able to afford it. Financing a car that is 9 years old and being 12 when it's paid off doesn't sit right.

Downside is the price at this point (the reason I haven't pursued it any further) - they're asking $9,500 for it :mind-blowing: Some online pricing research shows that it should be retailing for $7500, on average. I'm wondering if they put some additional reconditioning money into and are trying to recoup it through teh selling price. I haven't found any comparable SSEi models, but I did find a 2002 SLE model that is well equipped and has 80K and it was selling for $7,500.

Of course the SLE lacks the supercharged engine, some SSEi-specific options (like HUD), has 10k more miles, but is 2 years newer. I like the SLE model, but prefer the SSEi more and would rather have that. Of course if I wanted to spend more money per month, I have found a couple of 2005 Bonneville GXP models (man I'd love a V8-powered Bonneville!! :yes::wub: ).

GMTG

I think it is a gorgeous vehicle and the mileage is incredibly low for the age.

However, for the age of the car financially it will not make sense to me to invest, especially if you are going to get a loan that will take 2-3 years to pay. Consider this, if you wait another three months or so, since you have already waited for about 4 months since you were looking for the Suburban, you can get off Aura's lease and then hunt down vehicles. That will give you better peace of mind. I know it is difficult, but hang in there, get over the Aura lease and then go for a better vehicle.

Yeah, I am naturally a patient person but when it comes to cars I sometimes lack enough patience to continue to hold out until the right time :lol: You make total sense and I have been looking at this car for two months without going crazy. And while I love Bonneville SSEi's of this generation, buying a nine-year old car and financing it for 3 more years doesn't make the best financial sense (especially since I'd be low on emergency cash in case repairs pop up too).

What usually helps when I find a vehicle I like but can't get is by going and seeing it in person (on Sundays) and taking some pictures. But with the Internet and searching outside of a short-distance drive, like with this Bonneville, it makes it hard to satisfy that curiousity. I guess posting about it here and having people tell me to pass has been the best medicine.

However, if the price was much lower and I had the cash to buy it outright, I think I'd be driving an SSEi about now :AH-HA_wink:

Thanks for the advice Z-06 :thumbsup:

If you like it buy it. For me if it wasn't SC I would jump on it, but the idea of having a supercharger on it just makes it that much more to worry about, and more green when it needs fixed. Ive never had a problem buying a used car made by GM as long as I checked it over good enough they have been a solid car except for things like breaks, rotors, and tires.

Edited by Daryl Z71

I bought my car with the realization that it's mileage (and to a lesser extent its age) would be a factor. However for three years that car has been great to me with well under $1,000 in repairs that weren't routine up until I decided to change the motor.

The Bonneville looks like its in great shape, but I'm not too keen on having to make payments on a 9 year old car either. I paid cash for mine so it was actually my car the day I drove it off the lot.

There is nothing wrong with used, and this car looks at least like it was well cared for. However I research and see if these cars have common problems, how numerous, and how expensive. 71k is pretty good mileage, but you'll want to know if all of the belts and stuff have been taken care of and so on.

PASS.

We're about 1-2 years away from SUPER cheap used G8 GTs hitting the market!

Or just buy a 2004-6 GTO (Monaro) or 4th gen. F-body.

PASS.

We're about 1-2 years away from SUPER cheap used G8 GTs hitting the market!

Or just buy a 2004-6 GTO (Monaro) or 4th gen. F-body.

Yes, but at the same time, you can get anything 2-3 years old that you want and get a loan. 9 years old is too much.

Mixed bag.

I really like the body style of that car. I like the 87-91 and the 2000-onward you're considering (don't like the rounded one in between these years). I love the dashboard. Give Pontiac the cabin width of at least a Grand Prix, and they knew how to put together a fascinating dashboard. The mileage is low for the year.

I don't like the SSEi nor the GXP, but them I'm "less is more" when it comes to styling. I liked the base LE. Also, with the supercharger, that engine is more of a headache than in base form which, aside from the years with intake manifold issues, is incredibly reliable.

My automotive tastes are blander and more conservative than most people's on C&G, so maybe my input is an outlier than can be discarded. Let us know what you decide.

Edited by trinacriabob

Well I own one and have for four years. Needs to go into the body shop to be fixed again. (Small issue driving me nuts, yes I baby it!) I say if you can talk them down on price and I mean under $8,000 it would be a BUY. I love the styling but I prefer the 04-05 GXP and 05 SLE styling. They drive well amazing, if you want it go for it. That car is IN GREAT condition. The 2002 SLE would be an interesting option as well though. I know you would love one, I LOVE MINE. It is not going anywhere and when I am done with it my son will keep for a classic no doubt. And who couldn't honestly love this... I have had it four years and have had 29,000 miles of good luck with it.

IMGP3592.jpg

IMGP3606.jpg

Edited by gm4life

The other thing to consider is the SSEi's run on premium gas and I have been told putting regular in them works but is not good for the L67 motor. That has stopped me from considering various GM supercharged cars over the years. You could "give in" and look for an SLE but a few years newer with less miles on it, and for under 9,500 you should be able to find a newer one with about the same amount of miles on it. The SLE's don't offer HUD but offer nearly every other option and also have the FE2 suspension as well so they will handle just as well. Personally my SLE to me has plenty of kick when you nail it, and I have driven it way faster than I ever should have (aka to the point the computer says no more) and couldn't have been more impressed. If you like the L67 and want the supercharged one call on it and make an offer or see what they are willing to do. I know this much dealers like to "rotate" stock aka get new and different used cars out on the lot often. If the car has been sitting two months and has had no "hits" you are in a STRONG position. If you wait to long it might sell, I have run into this. After 90 days I have heard some dealers just take their cars to auctions and such or try eBay that have not sold. If that is "the car" go for it but personally anything over $8,000 is too much. I still if I were you would try to find a newer SLE with the same kind of miles for less money. Then again it all depends upon what people are selling in your area. I know you have been kicking around lots of different Pontiac's. Just buy what you want and also if you need a loan on this SSEi, fine but I would say no more than 24 months on the loan. I wish you the best of luck, and also have you considered the final generation of GP?

Edited by gm4life

Thanks for the info and advice gm4life. I've decided to hold off on this Bonneville, even though it does seem like a great find. I would need atleast a 36 month loan to get it, and then when that's paid off I'll have a 12 year old car. Since I don't know where I'll be finding employment after July 1st (right now I have a 14-mile roundtrip commute), I don't want to buy something older that may see an increase in my daily driving mileage and then put me in a position where repairs will *pop* up. I just have to find a little more patience to wait until GMAC offers me a pull-ahead program and see what 'new' vehicles I can afford, or wait until November when the lease is officially up, and hopefully with new employment, see what I can afford then. As for the last generation GPs, the only ones I like to an extent would be the GXP model, and even then I still have some issues with this gen's design/styling. The local CarSense dealership does have a blue 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP listed for sale, and I may go see it today (Sunday shopping) just for $hit$ and giggles.

Thanks for the info and advice gm4life. I've decided to hold off on this Bonneville, even though it does seem like a great find. I would need atleast a 36 month loan to get it, and then when that's paid off I'll have a 12 year old car. Since I don't know where I'll be finding employment after July 1st (right now I have a 14-mile roundtrip commute), I don't want to buy something older that may see an increase in my daily driving mileage and then put me in a position where repairs will *pop* up. I just have to find a little more patience to wait until GMAC offers me a pull-ahead program and see what 'new' vehicles I can afford, or wait until November when the lease is officially up, and hopefully with new employment, see what I can afford then. As for the last generation GPs, the only ones I like to an extent would be the GXP model, and even then I still have some issues with this gen's design/styling. The local CarSense dealership does have a blue 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP listed for sale, and I may go see it today (Sunday shopping) just for $hit$ and giggles.

Okay good to hear it, yes 05-08 GXP's can be found for a great price if you look. Do what is right for you. You might shoot me for this but what about a new Malibu?

You might shoot me for this but what about a new Malibu?

LOL. If I was looking at GXPs and someone suggested a new Malibu, I'd punch them in the mouth. ;-)

So tired of hearing about the Malibu... was poking at one while the rental place was trying to locate the DTS. I just don't see what people like about it, but its on my list of cars I will never own.

LOL. If I was looking at GXPs and someone suggested a new Malibu, I'd punch them in the mouth. ;-)

So tired of hearing about the Malibu... was poking at one while the rental place was trying to locate the DTS. I just don't see what people like about it, but its on my list of cars I will never own.

Well I have driven an LTZ V6 and ridden in a few other ones and was SUPER impressed with the car. It would be a sedan and GM car things that would work for him. Just an idea...

I would take the Malibu over the G6 anything.

I would take an Avenger over a G6. At least everyone can admit the Avenger sucks, it seems a lot of people are unwilling to admit the G6 is in the same category of suckiness. On the bright side, the G6 wont be around too much longer.

... anyway...

gm4life, I would consider the Malibu, but the ones I like are very close in price to the G8 V6 Sedan, and I'd much rather have the Pontiac, even if I had to cough up an extra grand or forgoe the leather-trimmed interior to get it. Not that the Malibu isn't nice, but having seen the new 2010 Buick LaCrosse twice now, and the fact that my wife really loves it, if I had to get another Epsilon-based car I'd want to try for the Buick instead of the Chevy. Though a neighbor of mine has a really nice looking Malibu 2LT with the V6 Performance Package that I look at every day :scratchchin:

I'm at the point now that I will be patient and see what happens in June with GMAC and if they include November leases in the pull-ahead program. Right now the program allows only TWO payments to be waived, and with five remaining (just made #6 last week), that's not enough to make me do anything (at the end of April for one week, they waived 5 payments). I have a feeling that if no changes are made for June, then something has to happen for the July 4th sales weekend. GM has way too many 2009 models sitting around, so they're going to have to do something to make cars/trucks start selling. I decided I will check into a G8 V6 and see what deals will be made. If that falls through though, I don't know what else I will consider.

... anyway...

gm4life, I would consider the Malibu, but the ones I like are very close in price to the G8 V6 Sedan, and I'd much rather have the Pontiac, even if I had to cough up an extra grand or forgoe the leather-trimmed interior to get it. Not that the Malibu isn't nice, but having seen the new 2010 Buick LaCrosse twice now, and the fact that my wife really loves it, if I had to get another Epsilon-based car I'd want to try for the Buick instead of the Chevy. Though a neighbor of mine has a really nice looking Malibu 2LT with the V6 Performance Package that I look at every day :scratchchin:

I'm at the point now that I will be patient and see what happens in June with GMAC and if they include November leases in the pull-ahead program. Right now the program allows only TWO payments to be waived, and with five remaining (just made #6 last week), that's not enough to make me do anything (at the end of April for one week, they waived 5 payments). I have a feeling that if no changes are made for June, then something has to happen for the July 4th sales weekend. GM has way too many 2009 models sitting around, so they're going to have to do something to make cars/trucks start selling. I decided I will check into a G8 V6 and see what deals will be made. If that falls through though, I don't know what else I will consider.

Ahhh that new LaX is really nice. I still would go Pontiac, I was just thinking...