Consumer panel review of the Lucerne

sooner1

Detroit news has a very interesting article, and a couple pics, of a consumer panel's reaction to the Lucerne. Some comments reflect change of attitude, while some reflect the same tired attitudes about Buicks people have always had and have posted here. Hopefully the link will work.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...313/1149/AUTO01

Randy
Proud owner of a silver 2001 Regal LS with monsoon stereo and gran touring package.

Interesting reactions. My thoughts: I don't understand why GM couldn't have the NAV system ready for Lucerne's launch, rather than next spring. People are writing about the car now, when the model debuts, not a couple of months from now. I don't really like the name either. It is kind of prissy. Invicta would have been better, or Roadmaster. Electra also suggests power. I think the front end, while attractive, could have been more "Buick." I love the portholes. They are Buick, and all Buicks should have them.

The Electra name should be saved for a trim level to designate Hybrid. Person 1: "I have a Toyota Camry Hybrid" Person 2: "I have a Buick LaCross Electra" Person 1: "Ooooh Aaaah" The Lucerne would have made a good Invicta. My question about the Nav system would be... the DTS has it now, why couldn't the Lucerne with virtually identical interior also have it now?

WOW! Universal recommendation!

[quote]Michigan sophomore Paul Tassi, 18, said he would recommend it "only to my 85-year-old grandmother."[/quote]

Not the target audience obviously.... Either that or Paulie boy is a one of those classless import drivers :)

I'm 23 and I was floored by the Lucerne. I loved it, AND if you folks will remember correctly I had shown MUCH disdain for the car with it's initial pictures and specs.

[quote]Despite the fact that only two panelists, Leneschmidt and Detroit resident William O. Lee, 47, said they would buy the Lucerne, the reaction from the panel was striking in how many of the younger members of the group raved about the vehicle.[/quote]

Interesting and a little disheartening... But, it shows that Buick has made progress none the less!!!

[quote]Rob Blakeley, 30, a special-education teacher from Ferndale, predicted that Buick is poised to make a Cadillac-style comeback because of the Lucerne, though he wished the sedan came in all-wheel-drive .[/quote]

AWD would be great!! And I think Buick will make a comeback too AND a 30 year old saying that is comforting.

[quote]Dr. Hamish Carpenter, a 36-year-old West Bloomfield dentist, put 1,526 miles on his Lucerne CXS and praised its stylish design and supple ride. But despite his compliments, he said he remained concerned that the Buick could not hold its own against competitors like the Lexus ES 330 or Toyota Avalon. Carpenter owns a 2003 Lexus GS 300.[/quote]

Looks like someone has bought into the "Japanese superiority just because" myth.

[quote]Rovik, who is expecting a baby in January and drives a 2006 Toyota Sienna minivan, used her Lucerne CXS to ferry guests to and from her baby shower Nov. 19 and said that while she recommends the car, she would not buy it because "the gas mileage was horrible -- worse than my minivan."[/quote]

No sh*t Sherlock?!?!?! It has 2 more cylinders and A LOT more performance! (Private investigator pun intended)

[quote]Rovik's husband, Chris, complained that nothing on the Lucerne's exterior said it had a V-8.

"You know men," Rovik said. "They have to have everybody know what's under the hood, like the Hemi."[/quote]

I tend to agree here.... GM for far too long hasn't created enough cache around it's powertrains (Like Dodge has for Hemi or Honda has for VTEC)

Those of us "in the know" obviously know when a Lucerne has a V8 by the number of portholes on the fender, which I think these people should've noted. But I guess a detail like that could be easily over looked. At least, until Buick better re-establishes it as a hallmark.

[quote]Usually I just bump the car behind me.[/quote]

:blink: Yet another reason why I insist on parking 200 yards out in the parking lot or deck FAR away from everyone else.

[quote]The men on the panel said they didn't like the car's name.

"The French-sounding names have got to go," Tassi said. "They sound really prissy."[/quote]

I don't think Lucerne was the best choice either BUT women DO make the majority of large or durable goods, purchase decisions in this market.

[quote]"A man at a gas station asked if this was the new Buick," Alexander said. "I told him, 'Yes,' and asked him what he thought of it. He said, 'It's good. They (Buick) finally got it right.'"

Alexander said he agreed with the stranger's comment.[/quote]

It'd be interesting to see if this reaction would be the same in other parts of the country...

I think it would be; to an extent.

WOW! Universal recommendation!
Interesting and a little disheartening... But, it shows that Buick has made progress none the less!!!

[post="50683"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It shouldn't be disheartening at all. That 2 people want to buy it is terrific! That all praised the car is even better, but that 2 want to buy it is exactly what Buick and GM wants. Try and BUY! All of these people will recommend the car, and that is the best thing. The thing that would be best is to hold panels like these across the country, give people the car to test, and have them go out and recommend the car. Though that would be a pretty massive marketing effort, I guess.

Looks like someone has bought into the "Japanese superiority just because" myth.

Read on. He explains that he doesn't think Buick has the cachet to demand those prices and compete on equal grounds with Lexus. This is the truth. There's no lie. This is an entry level luxury sedan and will be pitted up against cars like the Avalon, ES300, etc. Lexus has a lineup full of luxury cachet, they actually are a sought after brand. Buick sells the Lacrosse, enough said. If Buick sold the Enclave and Velite along with the Lucerne, you can bet he wouldn't be saying the same thing.

Lastly, this car is a solid entry. I don't like that in some areas it is still very average, but overall the style and substance, and the fact that it's a solid car from Buick is a good thing, and should help Buick see a spike in sales. This article was great and helps promote that fact.

About the name, I definitely agree with the panel on this one. Lucerne is too feminine, not that femininas are a bad thing, but my car should exude power and masculinity, numerics would be better than Lucerne even. Electra and Roadmaster, or how about KingBadass, those would all be great too. Edited by turbo200

No complaints about the 4-speed?

[post="50712"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why fix what ain't broke? Nonetheless, I'm betting one is on the way.

I really wish Buick would show this car equipped with the wood steering wheel...it conveys class.

Perhaps...the regular steering wheel is a bit plain.

I also think they should put a "V-8" emblem on the trunk lid.

This seems like a good idea as long as it's subtle. People see the V8 badge and go "Hey, a V8. You can't get that in any Acura."

"This car needs a front and rear facelift," Tassi wrote in his test-drive log. "And by facelift, I mean just cut the face off and start over. They really need to bring it into the future if they want to save the species."

Hmm...someone just a year younger than me shares the exact same sentiment. While I think the rear is actually quite nice, I'm all for taking a Sawz-all to that humdrum bubble front end and replacing it with something that really catches your eye, even from a distance.

Basically, it needs the same kind of frontal "character" the 300 has, just in a more appropriate to Buick theme.

Other than that, seems good, all except for the fuel mileage...ugh...

It still should of had the 6-speed auto right off the bat. That way none of these critics would have something to compalin about. The awd would make a nice addition, as well as sat-nav, another thing that should have been incorporated. Its the little details like these that still bite GM in the butt. DOD should be a standard on the V8, the pricing I have to admit may steer a lot of people clear from buying this car. As for the styling the car looks great! The only color I don't like is that burgundy color. For some reason I always associate that color with an old person, the exact type of buyer Buick is trying to get away from.

Perhaps new engines and transmissions are coming later to address the economy issues.

[post="51078"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, I'm confident for 2007 we'll see the 6A in this car. I'd love to see the new numbers. Honestly, with the 6A put in this car, I'd like to see people complain... the car is just aces all around really.

People will complain that it's FWD only even though, the Toyota Avalon which is it's competition is strictly FWD.  It's okay for them though.  Toyota's not evil like GM is.

[post="51119"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, are AWD sedans on the horizon for Buick? I know that Cadillac is going that route... it'd be a shame to not have FWD/AWD on the flagship Buick sedan.

It was interesting that the 3800 wasn't even mentioned once. Just the V8 versions which for sure are going to impress far more than the underpowered base cars. The mileage does seem low considering both Cadillac Devilles I rented a couple of years back with the same 275 hp engine and 3.11 gears were rated at 27 highway not 25. The little teeny bopper's reactions were typical. Most of these silly kids think that little ricer rockets are the only way to go. Boy how times have changed since I was a kid in the 80's when you just weren't cool unless you drove a Mustang/Camaro/Firebird/Daytona or Grand Am etc. Anybody driving a ricer car was dismissed as a sissy.

I'm loving this car more and more, especially after seeing it all over the TV last night with Martha and the gang.... :) As a 19 year old male who currently drives a '93 Caddy Fleetwood Brougham, I'm definately a semi-large to very large luxury sedan lover, and the Lucerne fits that bill--just in a fresher, high tech iteration. I'll take a White Gold Flash w/Cashmere leather CXS with EVERY option please :AH-HA_wink: It is too bad that this couldn't be a GM car where EVERYTHING was ready and available at intro though--6 spd, DOD, newer V6, NAV system, etc. In truth, fairly "minor" issues given the overall character of the car as is, but each could have pushed it just that much farther up. Really want to see one in person, especially since I've seen at LEAST 4 brand new '06 Avalon's with temp. tags in the past couple of days, just on the campus alone...

It shouldn't be disheartening at all. That 2 people want to buy it is terrific! That all praised the car is even better, but that 2 want to buy it is exactly what Buick and GM wants. Try and BUY! All of these people will recommend the car, and that is the best thing. The thing that would be best is to hold panels like these across the country, give people the car to test, and have them go out and recommend the car. Though that would be a pretty massive marketing effort, I guess.

EXCELLENT IDEA!

Read on. He explains that he doesn't think Buick has the cachet to demand those prices and compete on equal grounds with Lexus. This is the truth. There's no lie. This is an entry level luxury sedan and will be pitted up against cars like the Avalon, ES300, etc. Lexus has a lineup full of luxury cachet, they actually are a sought after brand. Buick sells the Lacrosse, enough said. If Buick sold the Enclave and Velite along with the Lucerne, you can bet he wouldn't be saying the same thing.

Yeah, you caught me. It was just a cheap shot.