Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

about on line forums........

http://tech.msn.com/products/slideshow.asp...mentid=19445651

It Takes a Village Idiot: The Jerks of Online Forums

Illustrations by Mike Reed / © PC World

Who ARE these people?

Online comment forums create ample opportunity for behavior of such extreme jerkitude that it can drive even the most patient Netizens batty. You know what I'm talking about: the know-it-alls, fight-starters and doctrinaire zealots who seem to frequent every message board on the entire "Interwebs," using any and every topic as a springboard for their sociopathic gratification. We've sifted through pages of forum messages to find the most absolutely asinine tactics. So get ready to cringe: On the pages that follow you'll meet our nominees for the 12 biggest jerks of the Web's online forums.

OMG [insert $h!ty product] is the best [insert product] in the history of EVAR! Anyone who disagrees is a f@#ktard, and is in line with the media, the government, and the aliens to come and put down [insert $h!ty product] and are so bias! Also they are going to turn teh world's supply of hamburgers into tofu!

Michael Gross:

gross2-sized.jpg

A gross is equal to a dozen dozen, i.e. 12 × 12 = 144.

It can be used in duodecimal counting. The use of gross likely originated from the fact that 144 can be counted on the fingers using the fingertips and first two joints of each finger when marked by the thumb of one hand. The other hand is then used to count multiples of 12. Therefore, 12 countings of 12 equals 144. It is a simple counting system that can be practiced without paper or other marks.

The term is often used in commercial contexts implying a quantity of 144 items. A count of 1728 or a dozen gross equals a great gross. Though a gross is often said to mean simply "144", it is subject to the usage rules for a unit, as opposed to those for numbers:

1. it is always preceded by an article or a number;
  2. when the preceding word is a number, it often implies multiplication rather than combining that number of separate counts, e.g. "two gross" can refer equally to a single container into which 288 items were counted, or to a pair of containers into each of which 144 were counted
  3. normally (i.e., save for in situations justifying extreme brevity), specifying the kind of objects being counted may not be done by positioning the kind directly following "gross", but requires that the word "of" intervene, e.g. "288 apples", but "two gross of apples"

Its common abbreviations are either "gr" or "gro".

OMG [insert $h!ty product] is the best [insert product] in the history of EVAR! Anyone who disagrees is a f@#ktard, and is in line with the media, the government, and the aliens to come and put down [insert $h!ty product] and are so bias! Also they are going to turn teh world's supply of hamburgers into tofu!

OMFG WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?! CLEARLY YOU'RE AN IDIOT WITH A TIN FOIL SUIT FOR WEARING ON YOUR ASS.

You misspelled "didn't." This conclusively proves I am much smarter than you and have a much larger e-penis, therefore we should spend the rest this thread sucking me off about how awesome I am. Afterwords, we can watch my youtube channel where I have 400 videos of myself, all of them having been up for several years and with fewer than ten views, bitching into my webcam about how much smarter I am than everyone else and how no one listens to be and anyone who says I am anything less than a visionary is a gob$h!e tallywhacker. Good day, blokes.

OMYGOD IF U AD ME ON UR FRIENZD LIST ON UTUBE ILL ADD U!

My i$h! is the best obscure electronic device ever. It's not on because it's broken, it has a special power saver mode with encryption to prevent theft and said thieves from turning it on.

Oh yeah? Well my Microsuck ZOOM is far better than your i$h! despite being bigger and bulkier and prompting me for permission every 2.3 seconds.

Oh yeah? Well my Microsuck ZOOM is far better than your i$h! despite being igger and bulckier and prompting me for permission every 2.3 seconds.

Yeah? Well both of you suck because I use Linux, and it has a Kernal that never needs to be recompiled so it reboots as often as I get laid!

Amazing...I came here because of the level of maturity, and now C and G trails the Scion forums in the level of maturity of posts.

Glad ya'll are blowing off and having fun, but...

\

Chris

Can't anybody take a joke anymore?

You know, there are a lot of things people post about on here that I don't specifically like, yet I do not complain about (except politics when they invade a thread that was good)

This is as much a junk thread as "what car is the ugliest"

Amazing...I came here because of the level of maturity, and now C and G trails the Scion forums in the level of maturity of posts.

Glad ya'll are blowing off and having fun, but...

\

Chris

I don't know about you, but I don't got to The Lounge expecting philosophical debates about the meaning of life (although that's welcome too). It's a place to you know, have fun (what a concept!), let off steam, and allow the important forums to be kept mature.

I've been arguing with netizens on the Internets since first using Usenet newsgroups in 1988, so screw all you newbies.. :)

J/K, but the Internet is a massive time sink. I need to spend more time offline. Hard to do that with Internet access everywhere (my phone, my laptops, etc). And what with ecommerce, internet banking, Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Google reader, Google finance, etc...so much of my daily business is conducted online.

Back on topic--all in all, though, these forums are generally pretty mellow and tame compared to other communities I've spent typing time in. Not much in the way of flame wars, etc.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

actually, C&G is among the tamer internet sites in terms of negativity in posting, be it forums or comments. A lot of the comments posted even on autoblog and car and driver comments are quite nasty. or stupid. CNN's comment boards are among the nastiest (and most entertaining) on the net.

one thing the internet has done, through our anonymity, is allowing millions of us to get our real thoughts off our chests and into the public forum. It turns out this nastiness is what lots of people are thinking all along, the internet just means more people have access to what we are thinking.

it might not be the best thing, but mano, imagine our parents and grandparents and their opinions and no way to express them to validate them. at least even with internet debate, people's opinions are challenged by someone else, even if not in a civil manner it maybe keeps people in check more in terms of thinking they are right all the time.

I know at least on topics politically, some things i have opened to rethinking because of so much discussion about them on the net.

Its definitely a new communcation standard that IMO has changed our culture a bit.

I just thought the article's stereotyping of the typical posters was kind of funny. LOL.

actually, C&G is among the tamer internet sites in terms of negativity in posting, be it forums or comments. A lot of the comments posted even on autoblog and car and driver comments are quite nasty. or stupid. CNN's comment boards are among the nastiest (and most entertaining) on the net.

one thing the internet has done, through our anonymity, is allowing millions of us to get our real thoughts off our chests and into the public forum. It turns out this nastiness is what lots of people are thinking all along, the internet just means more people have access to what we are thinking.

it might not be the best thing, but mano, imagine our parents and grandparents and their opinions and no way to express them to validate them. at least even with internet debate, people's opinions are challenged by someone else, even if not in a civil manner it maybe keeps people in check more in terms of thinking they are right all the time.

I know at least on topics politically, some things i have opened to rethinking because of so much discussion about them on the net.

Its definitely a new communcation standard that IMO has changed our culture a bit.

I just thought the article's stereotyping of the typical posters was kind of funny. LOL.

Agreed...

Not that I look at YouTube comments or anything, and not that I can be bothered to get all huffy puffy about them, but damn... they get pretty brainless and vicious. Some people never took Reason 101.

Agreed...

Not that I look at YouTube comments or anything, and not that I can be bothered to get all huffy puffy about them, but damn... they get pretty brainless and vicious. Some people never took Reason 101.

Those sites are fun. One of the Indianapolis news stations added comments to the bottom of the stories online, and they are a riot. One example involved a morbidly obese woman, weighing 750+ pounds, who died and was transported from her apartment via a flatbed because of the logistical complications owing to her, um, rather large frame.

Article 1 (Exhibit A)

Article 2 (Exhibit B)

Think of it as payback for all the pissing and moaning during elections season.

I think it is quite funny, and I am laughing at it...but you've got to admit, in this thread we do sound like the Scion guys...

Chris