Hmm... To Bid or Not To Bid

That is the question. Clicky.

Depending on his reserve, I could potentially get a set for somewhat cheap (atleast compared to the cost of a single wheel). I mainly just need to consider if I would rather find an aftermarket set I like better and a pay a few hundred more. That, and MK3's happen to have the same bolt pattern and offset. With my desires to return to a VW, an aftermarket set could easily with switched to another vehicle. I'm not sure if a Jetta could rock Chevy wheels. :P

Decisions, decisions...

no, a jetta could not. and save your money for a more attractive set of aftermarket rims, or a better set of chevy rims. the new ss turbo wheels are great, and i find the old ss supercharged wheels with the gunmetal finish pretty attractive. there's also the ss wheels used for the standard ss back in 07, not the ss supercharger. or you could look for something not supplied by GM. unless you like these.

Edited by turbo200

SS wheels are 5 lug. Cory's Cobalt has 4 lug wheels.

Assuming they're all in good shape, it's a great investment that will have the side benefit of getting rid of the lousy Continentals that come with Cobalts that have 15" wheels.

I believe I've said this before, but also be on the lookout for 5 spoke 4 lug Ion wheels. They're basically the same thing, but the spoke design is a little more interesting.

they won't distinguish your ride, but are an upgrade over wheelcovers. the question is how much tires would be?

i have been shopping cobalt as my next car possibly. so i was looking at some of the more typical wheel websites for cobalt wheels. the tire rack doesn't really have much for the size i would get, 17". I think 17's on a typical cobalt would look nice. putting 18's like that are on SS may look a bit out of place without the body work. wheelmax had some good wheels for the cobalt. discount tire had some ok ones too. i am not in the know to know where the really nice wheel shops on the net are, i just know that tire rack and wheel max are budget friendly.

my neighbor has a red 08 cobalt with the 16" alloys that are not exactly the same as this, but pretty close. the same ones that are on the 09. Its not a bad looking wheel but it doesn't draw stares.

Do the HHR and cobalt use the same wheels? I can't recall the HHR having any decent wheels really that would look good on the cobalt anyways.

Edited by regfootball

I wouldn't.

Me either. BV, you seem like you aren't planning on keeping the car for the long run; therefore, you should think about upgrades that would net you higher resale value...these don't fall into that category. If you were intending on keeping it for several years, then it would be worth it to you to make it as nice and pleasing to you as possible...but unless things have changed, you seem to post threads on potential new cars as often as the seasons change.

lets say for example if one needed tires on the car soon. an extra hundred and change to upgrade the wheels would actually be a very god investment.

sometimes aftermarket wheels can devalue the vehicle as it gives the impression the vehicle may have been driven hard. i have heard this about tinted windows, wheels, aftermarket audio. its a stereotype, but i guess it depends who the future buyer is.

it probably ultimately depends on how cheap the wheels end up being. more expensive and larger wheels later also mean much more expensive tires. at least with stock size you're keeping the tire price reasonable too.

My wheels and tires cost me $950, and I'm glad I did it. They add a lot to the car, not only in looks, but in ride and driving feel. I am sure I would not recover all of that money in a trade-in, however. Viper's car will not be sold outside the family, according to him, so "resale" concerns are moot. I say if the extra visual appeal and improved ride help him like the car more, he should go for it. Edited by ocnblu

My wheels and tires cost me $950, and I'm glad I did it. They add a lot to the car, not only in looks, but in ride and driving feel. I am sure I would not recover all of that money in a trade-in, however. Viper's car will not be sold outside the family, according to him, so "resale" concerns are moot. I say if the extra visual appeal and improved ride help him like the car more, he should go for it.

Well, in that case, go for it. With my Aurora, when I got it two years ago, I bought OEM floormats. My wheels already looked good IMO, but if an upgrade would improve the ride/handling, then definitely go for it--that's worth it.

they're only rims, so personally I wouldn't find this to be such a good deal. you can find a set of tires for ~$200, but there's a lot more hassle involved, considering you can find online sets of wheels/tires for $700 that are new and very eye-catching and sporty. the tires will make the most difference in ride quality/handling, so we really cannot infer how much a difference he wil actually see. on the appearance side, I see them on cobalt's a lot, they seem pretty dull and don't do much to bring out the good character line and stance balt has. i would go for a mutli-spoke bbs-style wheel, but really the style is limitless and balt's fit in with a lot of different style. think about what you want to do, the wheels you choose could really make the balt a lot more likeable. some small mods could make this car a lot more suitable to your taste. intake, new paint job, wheels/tires.....together will run you no more than $1300 if done right/researched.

My wheels and tires cost me $950, and I'm glad I did it. They add a lot to the car, not only in looks, but in ride and driving feel. I am sure I would not recover all of that money in a trade-in, however. Viper's car will not be sold outside the family, according to him, so "resale" concerns are moot. I say if the extra visual appeal and improved ride help him like the car more, he should go for it.

what size wheel and what tire? are they high performance? I was wondering in the event i buy a cobalt with wheelcovers and want to put my own wheels and tires on it. the only cobalt I drove recently was with the cheap stock tires on it and really was interested in seeing how the simple tire and wheel change would sharpen up the handling.

Well I posted pictures down in Member's Rides a while back in my "by the end of next week" thread, but I went with a plus 1 upgrade, as I wanted to stay sensible. The wheels are 16x7 MBs, and the tires are Goodyear Assurance Triple Treds, P205/55R16. The same tire I upgraded my Sierra with from the crappy OE Generals. I love the unique tread pattern, and they ride quiet, enhance the ride and improve the handling over the OE Continental P195/60R15s. And I've noticed no loss in fuel mileage since the changeover.