A New Chevrolet

Describe a car (The Chevrolet) you think can be number one in term of sales, and that would be profitable of course (and maybe exciting as well). How big (dimensions), how roomy (trunk, volume,legroom) should it be? Which bodystyles? Which accessories , colors... And how many cars would you sell per year? How would you name it/ or what are the names you would use if there is a name for each trim level?

They should just drop names and sell all Chevrolets as Chevrolets. No more Impala, Malibu, Silverabo, Suburban or Corvette. Just Chevrolets. #1 selling vehicle in America? The Chevrolet! But seriously, the only thing keeping the Malibu or Impala from outselling the CamCord is GM's recent history. Chevy sold some real shitboxes, from the Cavalier to the Lumina to the '97 Malibu and so on, these cars really turned people off of Chevys. Horrible, cheap interiors that looked and felt low class drove people away, and some of the rough/weak engines they put in the lineup hurt as well. Keep working on interiors and NVH, no amount of imaginary media bias can kill positive word of mouth.

Describe a car (The Chevrolet) you think can be number one in term of sales, and that would be profitable of course (and maybe exciting as well).
How big (dimensions), how roomy (trunk, volume,legroom) should it be?
Which bodystyles?
Which accessories , colors...
And how many cars would you sell per year?
How would you name it/ or what are the names you would use if there is a name for each trim level?

[post="51223"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Word on the street is that the next Malibu just might be that car. Even if it's not, I'm sticking with it as Chevy's best Camcord fighter, as the next Impala is rumored to go full-sized (either on Chi or on one of the Zeta variants).

Bodystyles:
Obviously the breadwinner is going to be a sedan. Although the Maxx is going away, I still think there's a need for a volume wagon in this segment, especially since the Taurus/Sable wagon are gone and Japan Inc doesn't have one. Screw the idea of trying to make it look like a sedan. It's a wagon, so give it the most stylish rear end possible. See the last B-body wagons for some inspiration. As much as I want a Malibu coupe/conv, I'll leave that to the G6.

Trim levels:
This car marks the end of trim levels. GM has gotten way too complicated with the way they package cars. I'm hoping this will simplify things: i.e. I want people to be able to walk into a dealership and say "I want a Malibu with this engine, this transmission, these options in this color." Only the SS will have any sort of designation on it. I also think it helps build up the Malibu name, as both the stripper and the fully loaded model will just say "Malibu" on the trunk.

Size:
The current Malibu is sized all right, but it could stand to use some more width, as it sometimes looks disproportionate from the front and rear. There should be plenty of room for at least five adults <insert debate about bench seat here>

Exterior styling:
They got the idea right with this Malibu, but failed in the execution. Of course this thing should look every bit a Chevy. The side swooshes should be much more pronounced. The fenders should bulge out a bit underneath the swooshes...not as dramatic as the SSR, but moreso than the current car. Think 73-77 Monte Carlo. Not sure how I want the front, but I'd like quad taillights out back, like on the Cobalt coupe. It's about time Chevy took its most recognizable styling cues and applied them throughout their lineup. Chrome should of course be applied tastefull - the grille, greenhouse moldings, and maybe the license plate surround should be chrome. A chrome door handle/molding package would be nice, with body colored being standard.

Interior styling:
Use cues from the best Chevy interior designs of the recent past: SSR, Cobalt, and HHR, but use a true dual-cove design, a la the 63-67 Corvettes. A aluminum/wood strip should run along the center of the dash, as in the current car. This strip should wrap around onto the door panels, though I'm undecided if I want it to continue to the rear doors on the sedan. I like the idea of using the HHR's circular vents with chrome around them. Other chrome bits, such as the door handles, door lock knob, shifter, e-brake, and radio buttons would be nice. The piece de resistance would be a center stack that flows gracefully into the console, unlike the current car's, which looks like it had the center stack and console each designed in isolation. C'mon GM, plastic costs the same whether it's styled nicely or ugly.

Powertrains:
For the base, go with the 2.4L Ecotec, since that's apparently the first engine that gets the hybrid system. Besides, this car's obviously going to be heavier than the current car and might need the extra power. Leave the 2.2L to the Cobalt for now.
Now for the V6s, here is where things get interesting. With the HV engines, GM should get going and update them with 3v heads, VVT, DoD, and all the goodies they promised. A 30hp increase across all the HV engines should be minimum. If not, then dump them and concentrate on the HFV6s. In any case, I'd want 230-240 for the mid-level engine and about 270 for the engine used in the SS. Oh yeah, sticks should be available on the base and SS Malibus, but leave that little +/- button on the automatic cars. I actually had some fun with that when I rented a Malibu. AWD should be an option on the SS and wagon (and SS wagon ;)).

Colors:
The standard green/tan/maroon/black/white/grey will be offered. I also want bright red to make a comeback on a mainstream Chevy car. An arrival-blue color would be nice as well. Dipping into the Cobalt's pallet, I might steal Blue Granite and Sunburst Orange.

Pricing:
This car will probably cover the spread that the current Malibu and current Impala both cover right now (remember, the Impy is moving to a different segment). THe car will start probably around 17.5 for a base model, and go all the way to just over 30K for the AWD SS.

Sales:
Regardless of my feelings for them. the Mustang and LX cars prove that Americans will buy anything that makes a styling statement. If I accomplish what I set out to accomplish with this Malibu, this will be the most stylish sedan in the volume midsize segment, just oozing Americana. I don't think 300K is all that unreasonable.

Posted Image

Just build something like that and slap a Chevy badge on it... instant best seller. :D

I'm not serious, BTW. I pretty much agree with Z. Although, I feel that trims shouldn't come to an end. I can see the good that could come, but I prefer trims. My opinion is hard to change, though... I dislike change if you couldn't tell by now. :P

I agree with getting rid of trim levels. My instinct is also to say down with option packages, go with stand alone options, including the things that "enhance" the looks on upper level cars like body colored mirrors instead of black ones, alloy wheels, etc but logically, that would make huge hassles for the buying public. Maybe just toning it down by packaging options together, but still offering them as stand-alones in case someone wants an 8-disc cd changer but doesn't want the rear window shade and full size spare tire that come in the package with it.

Oh... I think getting rid of option packages is definitely a great thing that needs to happen... I just don't think trims should have to be removed with that. I mean... take a look at early 90s Pontiacs. My Grand Am specifically; you had almost endless (well, not really) possibilities. You could have a GT with a Quad4 or an SE with a V6, etc. SEs were able to be more than the higher trim, GT. You don't see that happening today. Mainly because trims for Pontiacs back then were for looks primarily and suspension, etc. See? I hate change. :P

Keep It Simple Stupid I kind of like the way Mini does it, two trims, Cooper and Cooper S, main difference is the supercharged engine. Options can be bought as part of a package or individually, even the sport suspension can be added to a base car without having to get the sport seats, stability control, etc. One or two (base and SS like Z suggested?) trims with a number of options seems like a good comprimise. None of this 1LT, 2LT, 1LS, LS, LT, LTZ bullshit, too much crap to go through to decide which equpiment level is right for you.

• 3 years later...
They should just drop names and sell all Chevrolets as Chevrolets. No more Impala, Malibu, Silverabo, Suburban or Corvette. Just Chevrolets. #1 selling vehicle in America? The Chevrolet!

I just thought about that for a minute

Chevy S Sedan

Chevy C Compact

Chevy SC Subcompact

Chevy CE Coupe

Chevy GT Gran Touring /Vette

Chevy T Truck

Chevy CT Commercial Truck

Chevy V Van

Chevy CV Commercial Truck

Chevy W Wagon