Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I'm bbbbaaaaccckkkk!!!

Hey there everyone... not sure if any of you noticed my disappearance the last 5/6 days or not, but life has been really crazy lately.

Let's start with the good news - I've been recalled back to work. Last Monday afternoon I received a letter from the boss of the HR dept stating one of my co-workers decided to retire effective September 1, 2009 and I was being offered the first right of refusal for her job (which I quickly called to accept). So it looks like my unemployment will be short (June 24-August 30) and I'll be going back for year #8 at the high school I've been teaching at (and hopefully with this new position be around for a lot longer).

Now for the bad news... I went to work Wednesday to give the principal a copy of my acceptance letter for the new position. Around 12:45 PM I got a call from my 62 y-o dad (retired since the end of February) that he needed me to come over to his house as soon as I could (thankfully I was less than 1 mile away and not the 8-9 miles that I live from my parents). He was watching my 3 y-o son so I could turn in all of my acceptance letters (HR director, supertintendent, principal, etc) and then I was going to pick him up. I quickly left and long story short, I rush my dad to the local ER due to a shortness of breath, tightness in his chest, and pain in his shoulders. Luckily it was not a heart attack, but on Friday we learn that he has two blocked arteries (a 95% and 80% in two of the right side arteries) and he would need to be taken to Penn Presbyterian Hospital in Philadelphia on Sunday for surgery on Monday (today). His stent surgery was successful and he will be coming home tomorrow (I will be picking him & my mom up around noon). Since Wednesday I've spent quite a bit of my time in two different hospitals - one very local and one not so local. Dad has some light recovery ahead and must change his diet and habits, but as long as he takes care of himself he will make it through.

Neighbor/friends of ours cooked dinner Friday night for us and had us over, which was a needed break. Saturday we spent the afternoon into early evening with dad & mom at the hospital, but went home to celebrate the holiday with our friends and some illegal fireworks (well, until the cops came and stopped the fun). Yesterday as a break away from the stress after we left the hospital in Philly we stopped by Pat's - the King of Steaks - for a much long desired visit (first time). I know that Philly cheesesteaks were not the healthiest choice, but "comfort food" over-ruled :lol: Home was like a hotel - eat, shower, out the door, and the poor dogs were always happy to have us home not matter the time. My wife and I took on the responsibility of caring for my mom - the poor woman was too traumatized by this event - and I didn't want her home by herself nor driving around alone. My sister (older by almost 5 years) was of no help, always having an excuse ready at hand.

I am looking forward to getting a call tomorrow or Wednesday to sign my contract for September... I'll feel more at ease once I know it's really "official". Let's hope the rest of the week - and the rest of summer - is uneventful.

Thanks for reading!!

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I'm glad your dad is fine, congrats on the job offer ...

+1. Now go get that G8, or Sierra you've been pining for :)

Thanks for the well wishes for my dad. Although he says he's feeling much better now after the stent surgery, I know the healing process is just beginning.

Also, thanks for the congrats on me getting the job back. I was slightly disappointed that because of my dad's situation this weekend, it prevented me from going to my BPG dealership to see what kind of deal they could offer me on a V6 G8 Sedan (I know the G8 GT will be out of my financial reach, just like a Sierra Crew Cab Z71 4WD). I'm hoping GM will be announcing an extension of the "0% for 72 hours" sale, as I will definitely find out if a 2009 G8 can happen for me. The downside is that my BPG dealership sold the Pacific Slate Metallic V6 G8 Sedan that I've been wanting and watching, but they do have a Maverick Silver Metallic one equipped the same way:

DSCN9948.jpg

What I'm also waiting for is the contract to sign, so I know exactly how much they're paying me. I need to know this so that I know I can afford new car payments!! :P

The downside is that my BPG dealership sold the Pacific Slate Metallic V6 G8 Sedan that I've been wanting and watching, but they do have a Maverick Silver Metallic one equipped the same way:

Nice. Burns regardless, there are still some others in PSM around the area (not many), so a dealer trade or even just a drive over a border could be that answer.

Well, you know, as long as the affording it part is realistic :AH-HA_wink: If not, on my next trip north, I'll have to head east a little and let you see what a PSM GT with a new suspension and such is like. Who knows 8)

Still, hope all is well in every regard and your latest blip was just that and no more.

I'm hoping GM will be announcing an extension of the "0% for 72 hours" sale, as I will definitely find out if a 2009 G8 can happen for me.

It's now the "Pontiac Closeout" and back down to 60, it looks like, for maximum 0% months.

Ahem.

Well, I need that 72-months part to make a near $30K loan work out financially for us. I'll just have to wait and see what happens during July and keep my eyes out for any "quick sale" events that GM/Pontiac may offer to help clear out Pontiac inventories.

I'm getting ready now to go pick up dad from the hospital.

Well, I need that 72-months part to make a near $30K loan work out financially for us. I'll just have to wait and see what happens during July and keep my eyes out for any "quick sale" events that GM/Pontiac may offer to help clear out Pontiac inventories.

I'm getting ready now to go pick up dad from the hospital.

Hope he's good to go! Now it's just diet & exercise time...easy stuff and feel better stuff, to boot.

Glad things are turning around for you...now I just hope they turn a bit for Paulino, our other teacher as well.

I really respect anyone that can teach. You and Paulino both seem to have a passion for it, which is rare.

Glad to know your dad is okay...

But the world is full of practical cars. You need another kappa.

Chris

Hey GMT!

Congrats on the job news!

And, sorry about your Dad ... thoughts/prayers coming to him and you, of course. Hope he is doing better now.....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Enough is enough, I can't take anymore" ... Alabama ... 'Can't Keep A Good Man Down'

Thanks for the well wishes for both my dad's recovery and for me getting my job back. While I turned in my acceptance letter back on July 1, I've yet to be contacted to sign a new contract. I've left a message last Thursday and sent an e-mail today for the HR director - hopefully I'll get an answer soon.

Dad's doing well... he's taking it easy and has modified his diet and routine. He's slowly returning to some of his normal activities (per doctor's orders) and is actually not doing things he's not supposed to do - my father is a stubborn person, but I guess he realizes how bad it could have been and how he can damage his goin area if he doesn't follow the doc's orders (until he completely heals after two catherization surgery procedures).

any clunker cars in your family? maybe a 4500 boost with the help of a clunker in the future would help you achieve the v8.

I wish. My sister has a leased Honda Pilot ('08) and their 2000-ish Nissan Pathfinder is going nowhere (as my bro-in-law has a company car to use, the Pathfinder is his backup if my sister is out and he needs to go somewhere). Plus they would never give me the Nissan, even at a steal, to help me out (my sis isn't that compassionate). My parent's cars are an '05 & '06 and are not going anywhere, and my aunt has a 2004 or 2005 Jeep Liberty and she loves it. Don't think I haven't thought about this option, and too bad you have to have owned the car for a year or longer or I'd pick up a clunker at the local Red Cross Motor Pool :lol: