Satty

Just got an offer

28 posts in this topic

A gentleman with a '76 Continental Mark IV needs something more family friendly and was wondering if I'd be interested in a Continental for LeSabre swap. I'm interested. What do you guys think?

'89 LeSabre Estate

--151,000 miles on body

--12,000 miles on rebuilt 350

--Fuel leak (source unknown)

--Random electrical glitches

--AC doesn't work in spite of having been charged

'76 Continental

--85,000 miles

--Needs new vinyl top (no rust as far as I can tell)

--Needs radiator

--Clean white leather interior

--Power accessories all work

--Needs AC charged

I had a co-worker with a Mark IV and I loved that car, even tried to buy it off him a few times. I love these Continentals, but I love the Buick, so I'm torn.

contifront.jpg

contiint.jpg

contirear.jpg

That car screams you, Satty.

Somebody's pimp hat, I wonder?

Speaking of which..... :neenerneener:

It'd be quite a sight to see that thing parked next to the Prius. 8)

If your bicycle can fit in the trunk, then I say go for it.

If your bicycle can fit in the trunk, then I say go for it.

That, and a few bodies.....

It'd be quite a sight to see that thing parked next to the Prius. 8)

+1

Hell, I'm pretty sure the small kayak will fit in the trunk.

Hell, I'm pretty sure the small kayak will fit in the trunk.

Yep.

It's cool, yessir, but shoot, you have an older car now with familiar quirks, and you can haul all your stuff without a weird European roof rack. This would be a style-cramping move until you can get a Patriot (if you're still thinking that way.)

Everyone says its a bad idea, but the Lincoln is so freaking cool, plus it'll probably have more monetary value later on than the Buick.

Or you could CFC trade the Buick on a new Yaris or Corolla--those would go nicely w/ your Prius.

I'd go for the Lincoln.

More interesting.

More likely to go up in value if you take care of it's issues.

Interior looks spotless

Less overall miles than the Buick

C4C guidelines kill most cars I'd be interested in, like the Mustang. If Patriots existed, I'd strongly consider one, the only other car to really grab my interest that I could get through C4C is the Clubman.

The Lincoln definitely has it's charms...the interior looks great, needs a few trim items on the outside. It would make a neat weekend or once in a while driver, probably gets 10-12 mpg. I've always liked the more angular Mark V over the Mark VI (pretty much the same inside, though).

The Buick only gets about 10mpg, so that would be a wash. It would probably get a little better if I could figure out where the hell the fuel leak is.

The only thing that would be a sticking point for me is the 350.

How much did you invest in rebuilding the motor? If that amount of money equates roughly to the mileage difference (less mileage on the car over all) on the Lincoln, then go for it. If not, then your current car is probably worth more.

(Just MHO)

Here's a sweet '79 Mark V in Mississippi w/ only 30k miles, white w/ white & red interior also..

ebay 79 Lincoln

Totally impractical and huge, but I've always liked these since childhood...rode in a few when my folks were test driving Lincolns (my Dad was a serial Continental/Town Car buyer for his last 20 years).

I love the Mark IV's. I'd say go for it too, since finding one of those cars unmolested or rot-free is getting harder by the day. Some day I want a Givenchy edition Mark in my garage.

76mk_give_1.jpg

Edited by mustang84

The only thing that would be a sticking point for me is the 350.

How much did you invest in rebuilding the motor? If that amount of money equates roughly to the mileage difference (less mileage on the car over all) on the Lincoln, then go for it. If not, then your current car is probably worth more.

(Just MHO)

I spent about $300 on the 350, I bought it off a guy who had it rebuilt, put it in a car then wrecked the car, pulled the motor and stored it for just about forever. I gave it new seals, gaskets, plugs, wires and filters and dropped it in. A variety of issues prevented me from doing everything I wanted, like an Edelbrock intake and carb and dual exhaust.

So yeah, not that much in the motor.

I think it would pretty much be up to impulse then. If you like the car, go for it.

Wow, that's cool. I can't recall the last time I saw one. You're handy, so working on the Lincoln shouldn't be an issue. I say go for it.

So far opinions are split. One camp says keep the Buick because I love it and have put quite a bit into it, plus I bought it for a reason and the Conti wouldn't be nearly as good a kayak hauler.. The other camp says move on to the Lincoln because I'll love it just as much, and it'll give me a new challenge that I can tackle, unlike the problems with the Buick that are beyond my ability.

All Jill said was that its my car and I can do whatever the hell I want. After I emailed her the pics, she asked if I'd like a purple velvet suit. I do like the idea of a pimp stick.

When is she going to give you your money so you can buy it? Edited by ocnblu

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor