Interiors

turbo200

Interiors are one of the bigger determinants of perception. Someone gets in an interior that impresses them and they think they are in a car made to higher standards, or a more expensive car. In GM's case, the interiors are REALLY far behind the competition. It's a glaring ommission that really adds to the perception that there cars are inferior.

That being said, the purpose of this thread is not to harp, but to introduce ideas for GM. What are the interior designs you really like from around the world? What interior themes do you feel are appropriate for each of GM's brands. In a perfect world, GM will have interiors that represent what each brand stands for, and the themes should be different, as they always have been. So what themes fit Pontiac, Buick, Chevy, Cadillac, Saturn, and Saab?

Post some of your favorite interior pictures here.

I'll start with an interior I think would be perfect for Pontiac's sport image:

Posted Image

Pontiac's of the future should come with materials, colors, and quality no less than this Alfa presented above. It's beautiful, perfect for Pontiac.

More to come later....

Alfa interior is close (it almost has enough HVA/C vents! :P), but details need to be improved: I assume the gigantic gap on the left edge of the pic is only the fuse panel door ajar, the center stack face panel appears dented along the right edge, the dead pedal is horrendously obtrusive and the stark assymetry of the center stack looks really bad w/ it being silver vs. the instrument hood's black. Radio controls are ridiculously low, too. It's not bad but nothing special and it wouldn't pull me into a Pontiac if I was on the fence. I only seen pics of the es330 and they've always looked pretty nice. I would like to see one in person; the LS 430 I sat in had a nicely-built interior but it somehow turned me off anyway. 'Gathered' leather always looks so... 1970s to me. ES looks much nicer than the LS and I could see that in a Buick...

completely agree bobo.

and balthy, the vents were the first thing i thought of. I think the alfa interior in the g6 gtp would make that car a whole lot more desirable and fashionable.

the next interior is not ergonomically perfect, the details are there, the materials and colors and form are more what I would like GM to pay attention to. It's just beautifully sculpted, and a car as great as the corvette deserves it

Posted Image

Edited by turbo200

I'll start with an interior I think would be perfect for Pontiac's sport image:

Posted Image

Pontiac's of the future should come with materials, colors, and quality no less than this Alfa presented above. It's beautiful, perfect for Pontiac.
More to come later....

[post="57868"][/post]

You know I love this interior... When I first saw it, it instantly said Pontiac to me. I mean, look at it and then look at one of my favorite cars, 5th gen GAs. The gauge cluster, the vents, the shape... so similar, just better with beautiful brightwork. I agree that it would make a great interior for a Pontiac. I would love to see it in a sporty RWD compact, coupe and sedan. :wub: :D

Lexus ES330.  There's no reason why the LaCrosse couldn't be like this, and this car is just about to be replaced.

Posted Image

[post="57869"][/post]

Other than the fact that the LaCrosse starts at $22,900 and the Lexus ES330 starts at $32,300...

Let's see what a $22,900 ES330 interior looks like:

Posted Image

There's even a significant difference when you compare a $32k Toyota to a $22k Toyota on the same platform and shared mechanics.

And in this case, I'd take the $22,900 Buick interior over the $22,900 Toyota interior... and you guys think the LaCrosse wood looks horribly fake.

I actually prefer the Audi A8 interior... not necessarily in design, but the materials used. Everything implies "expensive" in the A8:

Posted Image

English/British interiors & exteriors always make me think of Buick. GM needs to continue channeling Bentley and Jaguar when designing future Buicks (same interior but different angle as turbo's)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lexus ES330.  There's no reason why the LaCrosse couldn't be like this, and this car is just about to be replaced.

They are very nice...a friend of mine bought one a few months ago..the interior is very well put together as far as materials and the look... Buick definitely needs interiors of this caliber, IMHO...

My favorite interiors overall today are those from Audi... I like Italian interiors also...great use of materials and color.

They are very nice...a friend of mine bought one a few months ago..the interior is very well put together as far as materials and the look...  Buick definitely needs interiors of this caliber, IMHO...

[post="58023"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have a cousin who has an ES330. The interior is very nice. To clarify, YES I agree with you and bobo with wanting Buick to have interiors with similar quality and refinement as the ES330.

Personally, I thought the idea behind the SS Concept interior was pretty good:

Posted Image

I also think that the Nomad concept interior would make for a good Camaro interior:

Posted Image

One problem I have with some of GM's interiors is that they aren't really too interesting to look at, like the STS or XLR. I'm not a huge fan of the RL's interior, and Acura may have gone too far with it, but I do like that Acura was willing to take a chance (unlike the exterior). Something more creative in the STS would have done wonders for its interior:

Posted Image

I am a big fan of all the interiors you posted Northie. The Chevy concepts were the perfect Chevy interiors. Don't need to do much more than that, emphasis on quality materials, little touches of brightwork, as the car gets more expensive so can the interior, and an emphasis on getting the design right like in the SS concept.

The Acura RL interior is fantastic. I love Acura interiors, and that center stack is very artful, Cadillac needs to be doing big bodacious things that jump out at the eye, just like that center stack. Another favorite of mine is the TL interior. Cadillac could use something like it with an even greater expression.

Acura TL

Posted Image

Edited by turbo200

That was going to be the next interior I posted, socal. I think the volvo's creative quality in the center stack is something GM desperately needs. GM just needs to see that every part of the interior is crucial, and probably one of the most crucial areas for design is the center stack since it's so visible to all occupants, it's in the center of the design, and it gets touched and used the most. This center stack would go incredibly well even in a Cadillac. A Saturn with it would be a game changer.

When I think of Chevy, something like this comes to mind. Nice, interesting colors, great quality all around, some nice elements of brightwork and luxury stitching, and overall an everyday man's design that is still sporty, has some heritage touches, but is overall not CHEAP. Everything that Malibu above is not.

Posted Image

Those Chevy concepts Northie posted would work perfectly too...

You know I love this interior... When I first saw it, it instantly said Pontiac to me. I mean, look at it and then look at one of my favorite cars, 5th gen GAs. The gauge cluster, the vents, the shape... so similar, just better with beautiful brightwork. I agree that it would make a great interior for a Pontiac. I would love to see it in a sporty RWD compact, coupe and sedan. :wub: :D

[post="57940"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you know BV, they could slap this exact interior in every Pontiac and I would not complain. Just keep the quality and colors.....colors....colors GM!

When I think of Chevy, something like this comes to mind. Nice, interesting colors, great quality all around, some nice elements of brightwork and luxury stitching, and overall an everyday man's design that is still sporty, has some heritage touches, but is overall not CHEAP. Everything that Malibu above is not.

I like the new Miata interior..the design and materials make the Solstice interior look pretty sad, unfortunately.

Other manufacturers' interiors aren't going to help GM stand out. GM produced some of the finest interiors of all time, with a style that was all their own. Let each brand draw from the great styles of its past, and just update it to the best possible fit and finish standards.

Other manufacturers' interiors aren't going to help GM stand out. GM produced some of the finest interiors of all time, with a style that was all their own. Let each brand draw from the great styles of its past, and just update it to the best possible fit and finish standards.

[post="58287"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You can't live in the present if you're always looking backward to the past.

GM needs more than just good panel gaps...

[post="58287"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

if you think there are GM interiors from the past worth updating then post them. When I look at older interiors though I see a lot of missing links to the present; if you can explain how to modernize them, then go for it. I just thought these interiors I've posted share cues with GMs of yore [like the sweet Alfa interior] and work extremely well with the brand's respective image. Edited by turbo200

Good point.... my dad always said the best thing about the past is it's gone... I try and live in the present and keep moving forward into the future...

The present ain't all it's cracked up to be.

present interior design is.....especially the ones posted here so far......everything is subjective, but these interiors are startingly beautiful, and would capture the hearts and imagination of the even extreme taste-afficionados

EDIT: I didn't mean to preclude wealthiest people as being the only who would have the highest in tastes, so I've changed the post to reflect that Edited by turbo200

It's difficult for me to pick one current interior and say it'll work fine in a particular GM car. A successful interior, IMO, apart from looking professional and being well-made, has to reflect the character of the entire car. And that's what most GM cars still need: more character. Fitting a chic Range Rover interior into a generic appliance like the Malibu doesn't work from a design perspective. Likewise, the Jaguar door panels (and seats) and the uninspired dash design of the Lucerne is fitting with what the Lucerne is: a highly derivative, but competitive-enough, unoriginal car.

One of my favorite interiors...

Posted Image

I love how the matte cherry wood bisects the dash, how it feels like a modern but cozy, British-owned, German-engineered resort in the frosty Swiss Alps. The gauges and switchgear are a bit too fiddly and unergonomic, but they are nice and intricate, sort of pre-German and pre-industrial.

Posted Image

[post="58290"][/post]

Your first sentence shows that you missed my point entirely, but your second sentence is absolutely correct. GM does need more than just great panel gaps. They need designs that can't possibly come from anywhere else but GM. You could easily take any modern interior design from one manufacturer, plop it into car made by another manufacturer, and the majority of people wouldn't know.

Honestly tell me you don't think a modernized version of any of these would look great in a GM car today.

I'll start with the quintesential Corvette interior.
Posted Image

A 1955 Bel Air. OH MY GOD!!!! An interior with color in it..get outta town
Posted Image
The stainless trim across the center of the dash is embossed with little bowties. GM needs that kind of attention to detail.

Let's try a 1965 GTO:
Posted Image
No red backlighting here, but see how chrome and wood are combined rather tastefully.

a 1960 Electra 225:
Posted Image

a Riviera of early 60s vintage
Posted Image

1960 Eldorado
Posted Image
[matthew perry]Can there be any more chrome?[/matthew perry]

The only thing I don't like the last gen Aurora is the Steering wheel. (and the radio, but I think the current GM radio would fit very well with the dash design here)
Posted Image

Alero Apha
Posted Image

G6 Concept
Posted Image

I've always liked the last gen Riviera Interior except I think it needs some wood trim somewhere around the gauges not complete around the top dash, I think that woudl be too much, just subtle details. And a different color than what's there.
Posted Image

Good job and great post Z. I got you the first time, knew exactly what you were talkin bout.

Balthazars first post was great, excellent points, as always !

Funny how this was going great until a few people disagreed. Then we all had to hear the lecture.

Not many of the interiors posted that I would flip over. If they dont have wood I dont like them so the rest are.... uninteresting to me.The Bentley is my favorite, and I like the varity of Aston Martin interiors. Must be the Brit in me. I noticed right away, that while the Bentley still had a four spoke wheel, they put the damn spokes out of the way. I hate the 10:00/2:00 hand positions. I also dont like a spoke around 7:00 either. Thats my left elbow on armrest, hand at 7:00 position, get them damn spokes the hell out of my way. I want the center spokes flat where they meet the wheel also. None of these special finger catching gargoles, its a tool not and art exhibit. Two spokes are enough and if ya wanna be creative figure out how to make a one spoke wheel :lol:.....and GM would probably put that at 9:00 :rolleyes:

The one Lexus interior is nice, Ive seen that before. I think I followed one of those ES 3 what ever the hell they are today, that was some pathatic piece of sheetmetal, let me tell ya.

I love our old H/C body interiors. The newer 97 LSS had an excellent modern interior, crappy wheel (spoke positions) quality of the leather is great (great controls). Same goes for its Aurora and Regency brothern. then we come to the G2 Aurora. What can be said about that? Except it didnt help Olds one bit, so go figure ?

So, being how some had to lecture about some kind of misinterpretation of looking within. I wont bother lectureing about how GM does not need the interiors from other vehicals in their vehicals. They must look from within and put more effort into it. Because we know they have built some nice creative interiors.

.....these interiors are startingly beautiful, and would capture the hearts and imagination of the even extreme taste-afficionados

Oh come on; "startlingly beautiful"??? No, not even remotely 'startlingly'. 'Fine' but nothing special' is much more like it.

Neither is the past.  It is a proven fact that when people remember the past and get nostalgic, they tend to remember the good and forget the bad.

It's also a 'proven fact' that people tend to overlook the bad in what they heavily favor about the present (or anything), esp when they reject the past as an alternative and the future never gets here.
As far as the past goes, I'm not remembering it, I live it now... in that I buy, own, work on and am around BOTH modern and vintage cars (and their interiors) all the time. At least I have a balanced, experienced opinion to be able to compare the past & the present, not just via pics. And the present, in the area of interiors, ain't no great shakes.

Let's go back to judging the interiors by modern standards, shall we? By the same token, I'm unimpressed by metal dashboards, enormous steering wheels, and vinyl trim. It's like the interior of a school bus, nothing special.

[post="58574"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

We express our views of interiors on our experience, which is a natural thing to do... BTW. And you base your view on your experience....which is after all quite recent. DO we need to go back and reread the posts that have led to the sudden bashing of older cars or referenceing to them, to see that it was in responce to comments about - GM would be just fine if they had the rice interior, which was even more preposterous. Then we will also find the reference was from a creative aspect, nothing more. At this point in time, what does not impress you has little relevence.

* is that print, inbetween some of those pictures, your very own commentary ?

It's difficult for me to pick one current interior and say it'll work fine in a particular GM car. A successful interior, IMO, apart from looking professional and being well-made, has to reflect the character of the entire car. And that's what most GM cars still need: more character. Fitting a chic Range Rover interior into a generic appliance like the Malibu doesn't work from a design perspective. Likewise, the Jaguar door panels (and seats) and the uninspired dash design of the Lucerne is fitting with what the Lucerne is: a highly derivative, but competitive-enough, unoriginal car.

[post="58320"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This is a great point, but I'm figuring that GM is undergoing design revolution. The way you described Lucerne is perfect, but let's say it was patterned after the Velite, would that design not be wonderful for the interior. As much art as is present in these interiors, GM needs to infuse thier cars with equal amounts of innovation inside and outside.

Also, the Range Rover is my favorite interior of any truck, bar none. That stiching on the seats and the shape of the seats is so old-world and classy while the dash is completely modern and elegant. NICE.

Let's go back to judging the interiors by modern standards, shall we? By the same token, I'm unimpressed by metal dashboards, enormous steering wheels, and vinyl trim. It's like the interior of a school bus, nothing special.

Standards of quality, fit & finish, durability, ergonomics, etc. are timeless. Only style is modern or not.
In contrast to your opinion, I am unimpressed with plastic dashboards, tiny thick-rimmed steering wheels and plastic trim. It's like the interior of a Fisher Price bus.

If they dont have wood I dont like them so the rest are....

If an interior has wood... count on me not liking it. :D Wood belongs in trees, nothing else. :P

I noticed right away, that while the Bentley still had a four spoke wheel, they put the damn spokes out of the way. I hate the 10:00/2:00 hand positions. I also dont like a spoke around 7:00 either. Thats my left elbow on armrest, hand at 7:00 position, get them damn spokes the hell out of my way. I want the center spokes flat where they meet the wheel also. None of these special finger catching gargoles, its a tool not and art exhibit. Two spokes are enough and if ya wanna be creative figure out how to make a one spoke wheel  :lol:.....and GM would probably put that at 9:00  :rolleyes:

[post="58504"][/post]

Three spokes are perfect for me. Four isn't sporty enough and two is too homely.

Anyways, there is one classic GM interior that I absolutely love to death. The C2 Vette... :wub:

Posted Image

Your first sentence shows that you missed my point entirely, but your second sentence is absolutely correct. GM does need more than just great panel gaps. They need designs that can't possibly come from anywhere else but GM. You could easily take any modern interior design from one manufacturer, plop it into car made by another manufacturer, and the majority of people wouldn't know.

Honestly tell me you don't think a modernized version of any of these would look great in a GM car today.

I'll start with the quintesential Corvette interior.
Posted Image

A 1955 Bel Air. OH MY GOD!!!! An interior with color in it..get outta town
Posted Image
The stainless trim across the center of the dash is embossed with little bowties. GM needs that kind of attention to detail.

Let's try a 1965 GTO:
Posted Image
No red backlighting here, but see how chrome and wood are combined rather tastefully.

a 1960 Electra 225:
Posted Image

a Riviera of early 60s vintage
Posted Image

1960 Eldorado
Posted Image
[matthew perry]Can there be any more chrome?[/matthew perry]

[post="58437"][/post]

From a modern stylistic standpoint, only 1 and 5 seem like they can be updated, imho. There are lots of cues and ideas that can be used from these interiors, I especially like the embossed Chevy bowties on the chrome accent, that and other ideas look fantastic. I think these and bodacious touches, like the bus-sized steering wheel, are fun to look at, but their characatures to me, their cartoon-like, not easily driveable. And that's the reason things have progressed the way they have, because we have figured out this is the right way for a driving environment to be. That's progress.

sciguy's sig reminded me of an interior I thought was pretty good for Cadillac:

Posted Image

Now, there are some things I don't like, for instance it's a little overly simplified and could be a bit more creative, but it flows very well and you get a sense of luxury from it. If you added a NAV screen and production radio and HVAC units I think it'd look a lot more interesting; as is it's just some knobs and a big silver plate of buttons.

Just as a side note, I think everyone will be very happy where Cadillac interiors are going judging from what I've seen of the next CTS interior.

From a modern stylistic standpoint, only 1 and 5 seem like they can be updated, imho. There are lots of cues and ideas that can be used from these interiors, I especially like the embossed Chevy bowties on the chrome accent, that and other ideas look fantastic. I think these and bodacious touches, like the bus-sized steering wheel, are fun to look at, but their characatures to me, their cartoon-like, not easily driveable. And that's the reason things have progressed the way they have, because we have figured out this is the right way for a driving environment to be. That's progress.

[post="58790"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I should probably add that those large steering wheels are there for function as well as for form. Many cars in those days didn't have power steering, or at least it was optional. The big wheel gave the driver more leverage to be able to generate the rotational force required to steer the car left or right, especially at very low speeds. Imagine trying to pilot one of these cars through a parking lot with a Cobalt-sized steering wheel. Anyone who tries that should probably have good insurance.

From a modern stylistic standpoint, only 1 and 5 seem like they can be updated, imho. There are lots of cues and ideas that can be used from these interiors, I especially like the embossed Chevy bowties on the chrome accent, that and other ideas look fantastic.

Please see that the point is from an artistic view, or creative thought, why must you read into it that someone wants to copy it ? Why ? Just look at the creativity, dont twist it and dismiss it. Some of those arent even from the best period for interiors, they declined steadily during the 60's. BUT ONCES AGAIN, no one said copy, except you, you wanna copy the Japs. We are saying look within, look back, look around and get some ORIGIONAL  ideas.

Hell that Bentley shows a modernized yet fimiliar British approach

I think these and bodacious touches, like the bus-sized steering wheel, are fun to look at, but their characatures to me, their cartoon-like, not easily driveable. And that's the reason things have progressed the way they have, because we have figured out this is the right way for a driving environment to be. That's progress.

Sadest part here is all you can see is the steering wheel, then you focus on that and decide how to spin this interior into some form of ..... I just dont know, because I cant see or feel your point.  The steering wheel is not the size of a truck wheel, for starters, but notice the wheel, not the friggin size....the wheel !

Back to the truck wheel......wonder why trucks still have large wheels and dont have grips the size of an ax handle ? Not that I care, I do prefer the thinner wheels but I wont make cause of it. The spoke placement is a more important cause, to me. I also wonder why race cars dont have those big fat wheels ? Perhaps because they dont want drivers too in touch with the driving environment experience ?

Then the part about progess and "how we have figured out... right way.... driving environment".......come on, thats so..... once again I fail to find the words. Somewhere back there, there is a modern interior that reminded me of the 63 Riviera's.

We're not talking layout like the older cars, great console and your so called "stack" are great but GM cant copy your favorite cars, that certainly is not moving forward or showing any form of creativity. Thats why I wond post a pic here, I just cant get a feel of wishing some other cars interior was in "my Buick" There has been some creative interior drafts in a few of the design competitions.

As a rule I like dashboards that curve around into the door panels and the console comes forward and flows out into the bottom of the board. Like our LSS and the Riviera. 63 Riv was a earlier more edgy version. Theres many ways to do gauges and Id have to say the recent gauge layouts are not stylin to me. I really like the 3 tone w/wood. Seriously, I pass right past grey/black interiors, that is a definante "will not buy" "will not drive" "will not look any longer" I probably would  have liked them when I was young but not today. Brushed pl-ainless is cool, my old Dakota has that.

Maybe GM just needs to put the show car interior in the production models.

[post="58790"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't know where people are getting the idea that I'd like to copy and paste these interiors into GM's cars. This thread is for ideas, my idea was to show the kind of quality, colors, and materials that GM should be using. Go back and reread my posts, nowhere did I suggest GM should straight copy every interior from others. Most importantly, I wanted these interiors to show an element of design, creativity, that is lacking from all of GM's interiors. Can we agree on that?

When I said I didn't think any of the older interiors couldn't be updated, aside fromm the choices I listed, I meant I don't see very many design elements that can be used in future cars, the way the world of interior design is today. If you don't like today's interior design, then go make a thread for past interior design. This is to discuss where GM is going in the future, and fortunately, they're just not going to revert to those interiors shown. They can certainly incorporate elements and cues from those interiors, and I'm not at all against that. Z28luver said the Corvette interior was the quintissential Vette interior, after seeing it, I totally agree, and I don't think it could get any better than that. So if they did something that incorpoated that interior's themes, that would be great.

Go back to my original post, the idea was to introduce interior themes we believed could go into future cars. When Pontiac's exterior designs reach a higher quality level, meaning there a little less derivative then they are now, and a lot more aggressive, the total theme of that interior would be perfect. It fits with Pontiac's initerior design history, but puts them on a whole different plane quality-wise. The kind of quality that changes minds. ah....but I digress.... Edited by turbo200

[post="57940"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Also very similar to GPs. Yet, everybody hates their interior. Ironic, eh?