Which American manufacturer has the best mid-size line-up?

Which American manufacturer has the best mid-size line-up?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which American manufacturer has the best mid-size line-up?

• General Motors (Chev, Buick, Cad)
    • Ford (Ford, Lincoln, Mercury)
    • Chrysler
    • Other - explain

Ok, I was thinking a lot about this over this Labor Day weekend.

While driving out of town, I stopped at a Ford dealership along I-5 to get a brochure. Interestingly enough, a salesman who had been a mechanic in dealership service departments since 1995 approached me. I explained I was NOT from the area and I was curious to see a new Taurus up close and get a brochure on both the Taurus and the Fusion. He was very courteous and understood I was on vacation, so he did not push at all. In fact, we talked for quite a while about car mechanics - the transition from cast iron to aluminum, the 3800, the Ford Duratech, electronic throttle control, variable valve timing and the intake issues on the Series II 3800 GM V6.

Ford has it all over GM in the mid-size segment right now. I would own a Taurus or a Fusion/Milan over a LaCrosse/Allure or Malibu at this point in time, if I was in the market. The Taurus is so damn distinctive...it doesn't copy ANYONE. (I will say, however, that I do not like the seating position in it since I don't like a console that is raised so high, especially since I'm about 5'10"...the car made me feel small once I got inside). The Fusion/Milan look great from every angle and make sense for so many people. I once rented a Milan and liked virtually everything about it.

While coming back to town on Tuesday AM, a new slate metallic blue Taurus pulled up in front of baggage claim/passenger pick-up. Quite a few people were looking at it with interest. That's a good sign...the "new" Cutlass Supreme got the same "hmmmm" when they reskinned it and picked up the rectangular lamps and waterfall grille in 1976.

Kudos to Ford. Gotta give credit where credit is due!

Edited by trinacriabob

As for me, I love the Ford lineup but to me the Malibu edges out the Fords.

But it would be very close were I to be in the market for a midsized car. I would probably let my wife and children decide, as they are so close in quality and design.

Chris

I had a first hand opportunity to put about 500km on a brand new 2010 Fusion Sport AWD (Sangria Red exterior with Red and Black leather interior) with the 3.5 Duratec just last week.

I think it was a taut, good handling car and it had much better materials than the Malibu especially the center stack. It's got a better trunk layout than the Malibu as well (even if it's not quite as deep it's got an opening you can do stuff with). That being said the Malibu is roomier, has better interior design and delivers better low end Torque (3.6L vs Duratec), and the Radio is more user friendly. I`d still have the Malibu.

If you're including Cadillac, GM easily wins, if not, it's pretty close.

The Milan doesn't really count because its just a different take on the Fusion style-wise. I'd say the Fusion has a slight edge over the Malibu based solely on the Hybrid offering. The LaCrosse is better than the MKZ, however. Hard to pick a clear winner because which price point do you put more emphasis on. I voted GM because Cadillac was included and the CTS trounces anything Ford has to offer. 2/3 for GM = win.

In a Fusion v. Malibu, I'd take the Malibu every time. I just think it's an incredibly handsome car. I do like the Milan, but the Mercury dealer would have to throw me a super awesome deal to talk me out of the 'bu. I'd also consider a high end Aura for the right amount of money. Chrysler products aren't even in the running.

The Taurus over the Impala or 300 is a no brainer for me.

I'd probably pick the Lacrosse over the MKZ. The Lincoln shows it's Ford roots more than the Buick shows Chevy roots.

Hard to pick a clear winner because which price point do you put more emphasis on.

True. The poll was too global in that regard. I put out the question because I am amazed at how far Ford has come along. Five or more years ago, the words Ford and Chrysler drew a blank stare from me...and that was about it.

But then, you're right, when you get into a GM car, it still feels like the GM cars we've come to be loyal to over the years. I did a 600 mile road trip with my (2008) LaCrosse over Labor Day and felt fortunate to be driving a GM car.

I'd put the Fusion over the Malibu for the availability of a manual (it's still available, isn't it?).

Probably rank the LaCrosse above the Milan, haven't seen one yet.

I'd rank the CTS over the MKZ.

As far as the full-size models go, I'd take the Taurus over the Impala and the MKS over the DTS. I really like what I've read about the SHO, looking forward to seeing it in person.

As far as Chrysler goes, don't care for their mid sizers, but I like their full sizers for their RWD and V8, but not so much their styling.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I'd put the Fusion over the Malibu for the availability of a manual (it's still available, isn't it?).

As far as the full-size models go, I'd take the Taurus over the Impala and the MKS over the DTS. I really like what I've read about the SHO, looking forward to seeing it in person.

As far as Chrysler goes, don't care for their mid sizers, but I like their full sizers for their RWD and V8, but not so much their styling.

Fusion over Malibu...agreed

Taurus over current Impala...without a doubt

DTS over MKS...disagree there...the full-size Cadillac's styling is so clean, especially in the quarter views and, in a lighter metallic color like silver or ice blue, is a beautiful car

Here's how I see it:

• Fusion (and Milan) vs. Malibu: Fusion comes in 1st, but just barely. The winning hybrid powertrain is what gives the Fusion the edge over the Malibu. If the Malibu had a comparable hybrid model, it would easily be a tie, if not the final call being the Malibu slightly edging out the Fusion (in terms of design mostly).
  • Taurus vs. ???: Ford wins here because there is nothing in Chevy's stable that competes with the Taurus. No, the Impala doesn't count. The Impala is on a crustly old platform with crusty old engines and a crusty old interior (while it does look nice, c'mon, if you think it is better than the Taurus in anyway, you need a one-month stay at a designated Charter resort).
  • MKS vs. LaCrosse: I give the nod to the Buick here. The Buick has a design that actually looks like a Buick. The Lincoln could be mistaken for a neo-futuristic Cutlass or Intrigue if you ripped the Lincoln badges off of it. The Buick has an interior not shared with any other GM car, so you don't feel like you bought a completely gussied-up mainstream sedan. It is obvious the MKS shares its interior with the Taurus. However, the EcoBoost V6 in the MKS demands some respect versus the Buick's engine options, although they are decent in their own respect.
Edited by whiteknight

Fusion over Malibu...agreed

Taurus over current Impala...without a doubt

DTS over MKS...disagree there...the full-size Cadillac's styling is so clean, especially in the quarter views and, in a lighter metallic color like silver or ice blue, is a beautiful car

The DTS is a good looking car, but the MKS has the advantage in cabin tech, interior design, and powertrain (AWD, 6spd tranny, EcoBoost V6).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Well now that G8's are pretty much gone around here, I guess I'd go for a Charger v8 even though technically I think its a fullsize.

I've been driving my other half's TSX most of the time these days since she walks to work, and although it handles great for a FWD sedan, I would rather have RWD.

Malibu doesn't really do it for me, I would choose the Fusion.