Sign in to follow this  
BuddyP

GM down to #2 in sales in '06?

CNN this morning says Toyota up's sales goals to 9.06 million vehicles for '06. GM is set at 9.08 million. Will they stay ahead?

GM is set at 9.08 million this year. First quarter production increase will match Toyota worldwide, so no, Toyota won't be catching GM any time soon. Toyota's figures also include 110K of medium/large Hino truck sales globally, while GM's only includes medium trucks in NA. With their Isuzu affiliate GM's sales would be nearly 10 million next year.

Guest Josh

the more they try to grow, the more their cars fail to work properly...

[post="61909"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Which will continue to happen. I said nearly two years ago that with Toyotas growth comes growing pains. It's just a fact. The sheer amount of volume out there works against you.

Which will continue to happen. I said nearly two years ago that with Toyotas growth comes growing pains. It's just a fact. The sheer amount of volume out there works against you.

[post="61912"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

they wont sustain growth this year or they will have some more major recalls...

they wont sustain growth this year or they will have some more major recalls...

[post="61913"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think the world should get ready for some MAJOR Toyota recalls. I hope the press is ready.............

yes, i'm more concerned about camaro and lambda, enough of this number 1, we'll discuss when it happens? can we get a poll???

yes, i'm more concerned about camaro and lambda, enough of this number 1, we'll discuss when it happens?

can we get a poll???

[post="61969"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

USA must hold on to one of its last leading segments...

we cant abandon GM and say "what happens, happens..."

[post="61989"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It happened because of GM's past negligence, and they're paying for it. And as I recall, the U.S. seems to suck at every segment. Except for science and technological advancements, but considering that few (educated) Americans actually appreciate science (while others ignore it), it may not last.

And really, #1 isn't important to me. As long as they're profitable (Porsche, BMW) and make cars that people lust for, then that's all I need. Not say that I want them to become some niche automaker... Edited by johnnyb

[post="61989"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I just hope GM doesn't resort to remain No.1 at any cost by overproducing cars and then having to have EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT PLAN and/or RED TAG SALE to move bloated inventories. That would be a disaster.

GM is set at 9.08 million this year. First quarter production increase will match Toyota worldwide, so no, Toyota won't be catching GM any time soon. Toyota's figures also include 110K of medium/large Hino truck sales globally, while GM's only includes medium trucks in NA. With their Isuzu affiliate GM's sales would be nearly 10 million next year.

[post="61873"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So basiclly, as always, Toyota is using every bit of this to their PR advantage while glossing the numbers, or in other words playing on a hidden 'catch 22'

And why is GM not counting their sales this way????

Why is GM not defending itself in the press?????

I'm sure we'll hear a steadily increasing amount of stories proclaiming Toyota to be #1. Then just as everyone freaks out and believes it, Toyota will quietly concede the truth (Just like they did a couple of years ago with the Ford fiasco)

Of course, no one will hear it. The intolerable 'GM death march' howling will be too loud.

WHO CARES?

[post="61935"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

99% of Americans and Toyota, no doubt for bragging rights (Just as GM touts the title in all of it's press releases today)

Size does matter to Americans, especially since most of them still think GM is untouchable. Many will show concern, many will cheer and many will comment on it.

It will be a MONUMENTAL event to say that Americans are no longer the leading automotive producers and we'll hear about it too in a big way.

That has pretty much already happened.

And really, #1 isn't important to me. As long as they're profitable (Porsche, BMW) and make cars that people lust for, then that's all I need. Not say that I want them to become some niche automaker...

I agree... Number 1 is nice, but once you go up there's no where to go but down.

The thing I worry about is downsizing... Specifically the downsizing of more divisions and volume. GM doesn't have to be number 1, but i DO wish they would stabilize and stop losing share.

99% of Americans and Toyota, no doubt for bragging rights (Just as GM touts the title in all of it's press releases today)

Size does matter to Americans, especially since most of them still think GM is untouchable. Many will show concern, many will cheer and many will comment on it.

It will be a MONUMENTAL event to say that Americans are no longer the leading automotive producers and we'll hear about it too in a big way.
That has pretty much already happened.
I agree... Number 1 is nice, but once you go up there's no where to go but down.

The thing I worry about is downsizing... Specifically the downsizing of more divisions and volume. GM doesn't have to be number 1, but i DO wish they would stabilize and stop losing share.

[post="62063"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The sad thing it's American not foreigners who are helping to make toyota number one!

<_< Actually Short term, let it slip to Toyota, no big deal, if the right moves are done internally at GM, strong product with High Quality comes out, they can pull the IBM move done in the 90's and regain the world largest auto company crown and be profitable with cash reserves. :P

I just hope GM doesn't resort to remain No.1 at any cost by overproducing cars and then having to have EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT PLAN and/or RED TAG SALE to move bloated inventories. That would be a disaster.

[post="62037"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the sad thing is... its cheaper for GM to give the cars away then to produce less, due to the UAW...

So basiclly, as always, Toyota is using every bit of this to their PR advantage while glossing the numbers, or in other words playing on a hidden 'catch 22'

And why is GM not counting their sales this way????

Why is GM not defending itself in the press?????

I'm sure we'll hear a steadily increasing amount of stories proclaiming Toyota to be #1. Then just as everyone freaks out and believes it, Toyota will quietly concede the truth (Just like they did a couple of years ago with the Ford fiasco)

Of course, no one will hear it. The intolerable 'GM death march' howling will be too loud.

[post="62061"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's not even Toyota PR. It's media and analysts who don't realise or believe than GM can increase sales enough outside NA to stay ahead, but will believe Toyota's forecasts without question. Basically they assume that GM will not be around the whole year. If you watched the X-files late in the series you may know the sentiment: the best way to predict the future is to make it happen.

I tnink it would have happened a while back except GM bought an extra 1% of Daewoo, moving to 51% therefore can consolidate GMDAT's production figures. So that's a million units right there.

I tnink it would have happened a while back except GM bought an extra 1% of Daewoo, moving to 51% therefore can consolidate GMDAT's production figures.

So that's a million units right there.

[post="62306"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

IF GM is the majority owner of DAEWOO then DAEWOO sales figures would be counted as GM sales. The rule is that the parent company has to own a 50% stake of another company in order to be eligible for the two companies sales tallies to be counted as one. I believe GM only owns like 30% of ISUZU and SUZUKI and therefore their sales figure are not counted as GM sales figure.

IF GM is the majority owner of DAEWOO then DAEWOO sales figures would be counted as GM sales. The rule is that the parent company has to own a 50% stake of another company in order to be eligible for the two companies sales tallies to be counted as one. I believe GM only owns like 30% of ISUZU and SUZUKI and therefore their sales figure are not counted as GM sales figure.

[post="62308"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think the Daewoo stake was 49.5% a year ago now it's 50.5% so now they can consolidate

Maybe the structure was like that because GM didn't want to consolidate Daewoo's financial results when it was still losing money - now it's turned the corner they can afford to.

It's not even Toyota PR. It's media and analysts who don't realise or believe than GM can increase sales enough outside NA to stay ahead, but will believe Toyota's forecasts without question. Basically they assume that GM will not be around the whole year.

And that statement confirms the very bias that everyone criticizes me for pointing out.

Toyota is golden, GM is dead. End of story (literally in the media)

If you watched the X-files late in the series you may know the sentiment: the best way to predict the future is to make it happen.

Is that a rally for GM or a hint at the analyst and media induced bankruptcy that I've been predicting for 2 years? Or a media induced sales increase for Toyota?

It happened because of GM's past negligence, and they're paying for it. And as I recall, the U.S. seems to suck at every segment. Except for science and technological advancements, but considering that few (educated) Americans actually appreciate science (while others ignore it), it may not last.

The Germans actually lead in the science development. Much of the world's technological achievements were accomplished in Germany, as well as medical advancements.

The number 1 thing is for GM to make a profit, in which they have failed miserably. Right now, they have to concentrate on making that profit so that they can be more competitive in the auto world.

Who cares who #1 is?? It is time to just worry about getting GM's house in order and if you do that the rest will take care of it's self. GM has made mistakes but not all of their problems were brough on by them alone. Maybe if GM is #2 the press and Wall Street will be on to another topic. They both have hit them justly and very unjustly in various areas. One way or the other GM will live on survive but one has to wonder when they will quit kicking them while they are down. Someone has something to gain in piling on GM , Walmart and Microsoft, one has to wonder what money people are the ones behind it. Lets get GM back to being profitable in North America and keep them a viable player in the world market. Sometimed you have to take a step back to leap foward. If Toyota is #1 their day will come too when they will fail. No one is #1 for ever. Edited by hyperv6

Keep in mind that the only thing even remotely in jeopardy is global sales leadership. In the USA, GM brands (in total) still outsell Toyota brands (in total) by nearly a 2 to 1 margin. In fact, through November, Chevrolet is the top selling brand in the US, and sold more than 50% more than the Toyota brand. Profits are another story....

I think the world should get ready for some MAJOR Toyota recalls.  I hope the press is ready.............

[post="61922"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

problem is for every articel about a toyota recall there are still ten prius articles that put toyo on a pedestal.