Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2010 Mercedes E350 Coupe at the Georgian College Autoshow

!!!TED!!!

Here are pictures and a video of the 2010 Mercedes E350 Coupe at the Georgian College Autoshow in Barrie, Ontario, Canada.

One of the only true hardtops on the market. It looked incredible in the sunshine. I find that little rear quarter window a bit strange, but I guess they had to do it to get the sleek roofline.

VIDEO:

PICS:

IMG_5878.jpg

IMG_5880.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

IMG_5909.jpg

IMG_5910.jpg

IMG_5911.jpg

IMG_5912.jpg

IMG_5913.jpg

I think I would have preferred a thicker C-pillar rather than have the funky quarter window. Looking forward to seeing it in person, though, I think this is a car that will look better in person than in pics. I like the front end quite a bit, but I'd rather see the sedan grille w/ the standup hood ornament...just looks like it's missing something w/o the standup star, IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...
I think I would have preferred a thicker C-pillar rather than have the funky quarter window. Looking forward to seeing it in person, though, I think this is a car that will look better in person than in pics. I like the front end quite a bit, but I'd rather see the sedan grille w/ the standup hood ornament...just looks like it's missing something w/o the standup star, IMHO.

For me and some other people I've talked to, that idiot rear quarter panel totally ruins this car.....no matter how good-looking or not the rest of the car is.....

For me and some other people I've talked to, that idiot rear quarter panel totally ruins this car.....no matter how good-looking or not the rest of the car is.....

It's an odd detail that looks like it occurred because the styists and engineers didn't communicate.

Stylist: 'Lets have a big side window opening!'.

Engineer: 'The window won't go all the way down because of the wheel well'.

Stylist: 'Let's just stick a little window in the corner and make the side window smaller so it will go all the way down'. etc..

It's an odd detail that looks like it occurred because the styists and engineers didn't communicate.

Stylist: 'Lets have a big side window opening!'.

Engineer: 'The window won't go all the way down because of the wheel well'.

Stylist: 'Let's just stick a little window in the corner and make the side window smaller so it will go all the way down'. etc..

Exactly.

I thought the whole point of a "pillerless" coupe was that the entire side glass went down with no b-pillar showing.....

This is even dumber than when the GM C/H cars had that front a-pillar glass......

This is even dumber than when the GM C/H cars had that front a-pillar glass......

I remember when those first appeared, I thought they were a revival of vent windows...but they don't move. It's just there because for some reason the door shape would allow a full window to roll down in the door, apparently.

The mini-fixed quarter window is clearly an engineering compromise- no getting away from it. Too bad they couldn't spend the money to get a full pane to pivot down- there's enough physical room. Buick managed to figure it out in '59.... :wink:

The rest of the design... mercedes are getting more & more generic with each reshuffle. Big taillights say something else IMO - honda, or toyota perhaps, before they say 'M-B'. And the front grille emblem is simply gigantic! Any larger and the 'points' could be angled blades and generate electricity at speed.

I like it more than the pricier BMW 6 series, at least from the pics. Compared to the comparable A5/S5 or cheaper 3 series or G37 coupes, I'd have to study it in person before forming a strong opinion. I really like the A5/S5 and current 3 series coupe design.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

the car looks ok i guess but has a certain HYUNDAIness to it. like a 2 door azera. or the next sonata.

plus the side swooshes sort of like the last 2 gens of impala and the last gen malibu.

The swooshes are meant to evoke classic Mercedes cues, like this 220S Coupe...

mercedes-benz-220-s-ponton-coupe1.jpg

the-brand-new-mercedes-benz-e-klasse-cou

the-e-klasse-coupe-and-the-220-s-ponton-

Mercedes is currently on a heritage binge (witness the new SLS AMG!).