OK, briefly, do you like...

trinacriabob

Do you like the LaCrosse(Allure) grille/fascia?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the LaCrosse(Allure) grille/fascia?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • Eh
    • Not much
    • No

I think that this competent car (easy to live with, day in and day out...as Bobo quoted) looks good from the side profile and sports a nice looking rear tail lamp / rear deck lid combination, whether straight on or from a quarter view. I think that the front is a MISS...just look at the Lucerne. LaCrosse's looks part Taurus and part Jag entry-level model. It needs to be something that can't be equated with something else. I gave it an "EH." Edited by trinacriabob

Sorry... I like the car for one reason and one reason ONLY: cause it's got a Buick emblem on it. AS a GM fan I'd buy one, but if it was a Ford or Dodge or whatever I'd dismiss it as another Taurus or Intrepid fwd whatever. Just being honest.

For whatever reason, the front seems to photograph quite nicely but in person it looks "off". The main problem is that it has the W-body rediculously long hood, which also slopes down and makes the front looks pinched.

My styling concerns with the LaCrosse are not the front-end OR the rear-end....it's the profile with the three-window greenhouse that makes it look too Taurus-like....and I don't like the overly-large front-and-rear overhangs. In fact....and I'm SO not making this up.....as I was walking around the LaCrosses on the floor at the SD Auto Show, I overheard a couple say how much it looks like a Taurus. Seems other people (in the real world) are sharing that opinion as well......

I chose "somewhat" because it is fairly nice but I feel Buick is so concerned with incorporating things like "waterfall grilles" and looking luxurious that they are compensating for lack of innovation. I'm not saying the LaCrosse grille is bad in any sense but it's pretty much universally agreed the innovation in the styling is lacking. I just mention it because it was the Regal replacement (rightfully... the Century was hardly a vehicle to brag about its styling) and the Regal was the sole Buick that proved you didn't need a waterfall grille to call it a Buick. I wanted to see another Buick that did the same thing.

and the Regal was the sole Buick that proved you didn't need a waterfall grille to call it a Buick.

[post="66171"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And that's what I've been saying for months. A sportier tapered front fascia/grille, like the last gen Regal LS and GS (and NOT like the last Century for God's sake) ought to be modified a bit, updated and grafted onto the LaCrosse/Allure.

I gave it the eh too. I must confess the results so far are interesting, I expected all NO! Not sure what some meant about the waterfall grill, doesnt Lucerne have one or am I pictureing the Velite ? Im tired of the oval, have been for a long time. I like the double lights....idea.....but Jag and its clone Hyundia pulled it off better. Lets face it nearly everyone has some form of rectangle ish headlights now so I give them credit for trying something else, I dont have the answer but I do like the idea. Overhang ruins the chance for a lower sportier front dam. If anyone has looked the distance from the front to the radiator seems awfully unecessary, maybe its a crash test crumple zone necessity ? I believe they should put a new face on it by 07 "you can do it!"

Not sure what some meant about the waterfall grill, doesnt Lucerne have one or am I pictureing the Velite ?

[post="66198"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Velite, Lucerne, LaCrosse, Rendezvous, Rainier, Terraza, Century, LeSabre, and Park Avenue all had waterfall grilles just to name a few. It's the idea that Buick needs vertical bars on the front of their vehicles to be considered a Buick... the Riviera and the Regal each had uniquely styled grilles without the vertical bars in the ovalesque shape.

That's what we want to see- Buick creating new things, not just sticking with the old. (However I believe that there should always be at least a couple Buicks with a waterfall grille, it's not that it's ugly, I just want to see what else they can do) Edited by Cananopie

I love the side and rear look of the exterior, no matter what view you use to look at it.  The only exterior feature I don't like is the front fascia.

[post="66373"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree with Titan. I like the LaCrosse a lot, wouldn't mind owning one. While the frontend has grown on me a little more since the car's introduction, I'd still prefer a better, eye-catching design.

Not a fan of the ovoid grille... have wanted them gone, since, well, they came out. Liked the Century grille, love the Lucerne grille... not a fan of the LeSabre's, Rendezvous', Rainier's grilles.

I'm ok with the styling and detailing with the front of the LaCrosse, especially since it has a little bit of the last Riviera in it. The problem is that the amount of front overhang makes the car look ill-proportioned. Overall, the styling of the car has grown on me. I saw it first as being too Taurus-like, but I think it stands on its own.

Love or hate the design.. this is a standout
Posted Image

[post="66370"][/post]

Decka, why'd you have to bring that up?

The LaCrosse concept was by far my favorite Buick concept, even more than the Velite, and they never even really considered building it. And the current LaCrosse is a shame to share the same name as THAT LaCrosse.

As far as I'm concerned, even if that LaCrosse was built today, nobody would ever talk crap about Buick again because they'd be afraid the REAL LaCrosse would jump out of woods and eat them. Because thats what cars like that do. They eat people.

And who doesn't want to own one of those?

The LaCrosse concept was by far my favorite Buick concept, even more than the Velite, and they never even really considered building it. And the current LaCrosse is a shame to share the same name as THAT LaCrosse.

[post="66523"][/post]

Thank You & good night.

HOT

Posted Image

NOT

Posted Image

For whatever reason, the front seems to photograph quite nicely but in person it looks "off". The main problem is that it has the W-body rediculously long hood, which also slopes down and makes the front looks pinched.

[post="66104"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Perfectly described. I too like this car in photographs, but when I see on the street, it doesn't translate well.

I just gave the posti 2 above this one a better look. I think that the front lamps also look goofy with that pulled-back teardrop shape. If the grille was sloped inward (a la Lucerne), the overhang so many complain about would not be as pronounced. (I do think it that the overhang has something to do with crumple zone and the like).

Too generic and squishy looking. Interior is ok, but centre stack needs attention. Rear/Greenhouse is like a Ford Taurus, and the front is just rather ugly. Of all the W-body makeovers, I think that the LaCrosse(Allure) is one the worst (others being the Grand Prix & Monte Carlo) and the best is the Chevrolet Impala. The other great W-body was the Olds Intrigue.

The grille on the LaCrosse concept made me toss my cookies all over the place.  Never saw that before.  Now I got to clean up, thanks a lot.

[post="66807"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

LOL. I never really liked the concept's exterior. The interior is awesome. I always that that with just a little tweeking, a beautiful concept like the Velite could have been brought to life.

• 4 weeks later...
A more aggressive looking front end with something other than the boring lexus like headlights would go a long way to cleaning up the front. I much preffered the former Regals front end to this. Also I hope they put some more convincing woodgrain inside, the 3900 engine with less agressive 3.05:1 gears and mileage of around 20/29 specs, spice up the 3.6 DOHC with around 260 hp and torque around 245-250. The Super model will more than likely have the 5.3 V8 and will be the powerhouse of the bunch so there is not much need to drop in the 300 hp version of the 3.6 yet. I would also like to see the base suspension and steering more like the old Intrigue. Even better yet how about base and CXL models adopt the 240 hp 3.6 as std and make 270-280 hp version of the 3.6 the CXS engine. It would take but a few simple things like this to put it on peoples radar.

Maybe it's my age, but it seems to me that that the last really good looking Buick grill was on the 1987 Regal. As the looks have gotten more dowdy the sales have fallen. Part of the problem may lie in that all the platforms developed since don't allow for the classic long hood/short deck???

The '84s were similar to the '87s. Here's a pristine example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-Buick-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Eh... Don't like it or the rest of the car. Or any other current Buick for that matter... Lucerne, Lacrosse... both terribly styled car, in my eyes. You'd have to pay me to own either. Sadly, the last buick I liked... was the Riviera. It was about as true a Buick as one could be in the '90s.

Though I think it's too "doofy" and derivative of a Taurus/Jag, it's at least a little more detailed than the big flat blob of a face the Lucerne got...which also happens to be, strangely, shared with the new Yukon...