2001 Chevy Impala
Posted Image

2001 Honda Accord
Posted Image

2005 Chevy Impala
Posted Image

2003-2005 Honda Accord
Posted Image

Is GM trying its best to build a Honda Accord? Or is it a coincedence that the Impala appears just about two years after the Accord with "similar" styling? You decide... Let's hear your opinions:

Edited by SingleStylish

This is really no competition. The Honda's interior is the benchmark of midsize sedans and the quality is top notch. The Accord is a vehicle were everything performs like it suppose to and smoothly. The Impala is nice but still a generation behind Accord in alot of aspects. The SS is the only Impala that is worth looking at.

Appearence wise, the Accord was only a little non-bland when it came out, its gotten more boring with age, especially with the new taillights. The new Impy was boring the second it was released. But, you know, give the people what they want.....

This is really no competition.
The Honda's interior is the benchmark of midsize sedans and the quality is top notch.
The Accord is a vehicle were everything performs like it suppose to and smoothly.
The Impala is nice but still a generation behind Accord in alot of aspects. The SS is the only Impala that is worth looking at.

[post="66994"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ABSOLUTELY ditto.........

If you gave me the choice of Impala SS or Accord EX V6 6-speed (just introduced in the sedan) then I'd take the Accord EX V6 6-speed.

Impala is too big on the exterior compared to its interior size......(thanks W-car architecture) and the interior material quality doesn't match up to Accord.....and from reports I've read (I've driven the Accord, but not the Impala) it sounds like Accord is going to remain a more-nimble handler.

NOW.....if given the choice of a loaded Ford 500 Limited....or an Impala SS....I'd take the Impala SS any day (even with the substandard rear-seat room.)

The Honda's interior is the benchmark of midsize sedans and the quality is top notch.
The Accord is a vehicle were everything performs like it suppose to and smoothly.
The Impala is nice but still a generation behind Accord in alot of aspects. The SS is the only Impala that is worth looking at.

I agree completely. I hate the cheap plood everywhere in the Impala, and the Accord design still looks much more modern despite debuting in a 2003 model.

If you gave me the choice of Impala SS or Accord EX V6 6-speed (just introduced in the sedan) then I'd take the Accord EX V6 6-speed.

Impala is too big on the exterior compared to its interior size......(thanks W-car architecture) and the interior material quality doesn't match up to Accord.....and from reports I've read (I've driven the Accord, but not the Impala) it sounds like Accord is going to remain a more-nimble handler.

NOW.....if given the choice of a loaded Ford 500 Limited....or an Impala SS....I'd take the Impala SS any day (even with the substandard rear-seat room.)

[post="67043"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

unless you have a car seat and long legged toddler.....LOL

Never cared for the 03-05 Accord. It looks smaller than the Impala and I don't care for it's pug like rear end treatment, taillights or bland grille. The 06 Impala looks more refined IMO than either the Accord or the older 00-05 Impalas. It's tail end treatment may be a little bland but overall it's pretty nice. Of course we all know the Accord has the better interior and has more refined engines and newer designed trannys. It will be interesting to see if Chevy puts in the new 6 speed automatic for 07. I have a feeling it will only show up on the higher end versions and the LS and LT models will continue statis quo.

What he said...

As for styling. I don't like either Impala... but I like the previous Accord sedan. I only like the current Accord coupe... well, before 06, I did.

I don't see now anybody can mistake either Impala with the Accord. The one thing GM does do better than Honda is make a car that LOOKS bigger than it is. Buick also does this well. To some people that is important. The Impala LOOKs bigger partly because it is bigger (200.4" length to Honda's 191.1" length) and because it has a heavier looking stance. That is important to some people. Asian car fanatics will automatically say the Honda is "benchmark," yadda, yadda, yadda, as well GM fanatics say the Impala is better, etc.; however, I really don't see how anyone can mistake the two. Some people just don't like BIG cars and will always slam American cars because in their minds Americans don't know how to make small cars (which at one time was probably true.) The Impala is an impressive car to anyone who has actually been in one for any length of time, plus it is thousands of dollars less than an comparably equipped Accord. I am actually less impresssed with the SS, which I find to be over powered for what it is. The car is kind of scary to drive because the 300 hp has nowhere to go in the FWD configuration. The LTZ, however, handles nicely, is quiet and has a nice equipment list. In this neck of the woods, the Impala is doing very well, without all the usual cash rebates, etc. that the last one needed to move it in its latter days.

Well, I really see extreme similarities in the designs of the two, and I absolutely know GM looks to competitors for inspiration when it comes to these midsize cars. Look at the current Camry and Malibu, or the G6 and Altima, and of course there's this. It seems GM looks to best sellers from others to capture the right image for thier own best sellers. The current Impala, I would describe it like sci guy did. It's nice in SS form, but it's horribly derivative no matter what trim it is. It's a lot more classy than the previous model, but it also fades into the dark too easily.

I'd take the new Impala for exterior appearance. Interior and powertrain (torque issues aside :P ) I would go with the Honda. I mean, come on, a "240" horsepower V6 with a six speed stick? Gimme!

Well being someone who owns a previous generation Impala '01 Impala LS 9C1 package, 3.8L V-6, 120,000 miles and absolutely no problems, just normal maintenance, I have to say that I love my car, its ergonomically sound and mechanically sound, still gets better mileage than the sticker said and I drive the holy hell out of it. Then again, I have a friend with an '05 Accordian...and well.....I dislike it. I'm a big guy and I like a big car, and the Accord just don't strike my fancy like my Impy does. Does Honda deserve a nod for keeping the Accord design around and keeping it relatively fresh for its run, yes, I'd have to say so. Does Chevy need to be slapped for not keeping the Impala based on a Caprice-type body, but moving it to the W-body architecture, Yes, I'd more than say so. But hands down, I like my '01 a whole heck of a lot more than an Accordian...oh yeah, by the way, last night I raced an '06 SS Impala down I85 here in Alabama, I whipped my tail, but I stayed with it initially. Then we slowed down and talked, then I drove it. Gotta say 300 horses in that car is outstanding, I used to think that my 200 in my Impala was great, but the '06 SS is a helluva car.

[post="67043"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed on the Accord...it's way more space-efficient, nice interior, and modern engine and transmission.

Agreed on the Accord...it's way more space-efficient, nice interior, and modern engine and transmission.

[post="70022"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree that the Accord is clearly a better car, but the Impala, in LTZ or SS form, has this strangely lovable charm to it. I wouldn't buy one with my own money, but if I were given one, I'd love it to bits. It has far more character than the Accord does, even if it is a bit vulgar.