So my dad's buying a 2010 Chevy Malibu...

BigPontiac

My dad's getting rid of his 2008 Infiniti M35x in favor of a 2010 Chevy Malibu 2LT. The reason for the change is really it had gotten difficult for him to drive a car all the time and he's taking over his wife's SUV (2008 Mercury Mariner)...and his wife found the Infiniti to be "too fancy" and wouldn't drive it. So *really* this will be his wife's car (and she used to have an Aveo), but I'm still happy I was able to talk him into a Malibu as I really hated the Subaru Legacy GT which was their other choice. One of my friends is buying the Inifiniti for his wife.

And yes, I did use guilt and "as a taxpayer, you own part of GM" to squash the Subaru deal...finding a buyer for the Infiniti sealed it, since the Subaru dealer offered more on a trade-in.

Details:

* Ext. Color: Imperial Blue met

* Int. Color: Titanium Sheer Suede

*** MECHANICAL ***

* 5 YEAR / 100,000 MILE POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY SEE DEALER FOR DETAILS

* 2.4L ECOTEC DOHC VVT 4CYL ENG

* TRANSMISSION, 6 SPD AUTOMATIC

* 4-WHL INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION

* TAPSHIFT MANUAL SHIFT CONTROL

*** SAFETY & SECURITY ***

* AIR BAGS, DUAL FRONTAL, PASSENGER SENSING SYSTEM, HEAD CURTAIN SIDE AIR BAGS, FRONT/OUTBOARD REAR; SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS, DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER

* ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM, 4-WHEEL DISC

* STABILITRAK STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM W/ TRACTION CONTROL

* REAR CHILD SEAT LATCH SYSTEM

* 1YR ONSTAR DIRECTIONS W/ AUTOMATIC CRASH RESPONSE AND TURN-BY TURN NAVIGATION (ASK DEALER ABOUT GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE)

*** EXTERIOR ***

* 17" WHEELS CHROMETECH ALUM

* TOURING TIRES

* POWER OUTSIDE MIRRORS, FOLDING, BODY COLOR

* CHROME EXHAUST TIP

*** INTERIOR ***

* AIR CONDITIONING

* READING LAMPS, REAR

* POWER DOOR LOCKS

* POWER WINDOWS, DRIVER EXPRESS DOWN AND UP

* POWER TRUNK RELEASE

* AM/FM STEREO W/ CD PLAYER

* XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE SUBSCRIPTION SOLD SEPARATELY BY SIRIUS/XM AFTER 90 DAYS

* BLUETOOTH FOR PHONE

* PWR SEAT ADJUST-DRIVER, 6-WAY

* POWER LUMBAR, DRIVER SEAT

* ULTRALUX HEATED FRONT SEATS

* FLOOR MATS

* REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER

* SEAT, REAR SPLIT FOLDING

* DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER

* TILT AND TELESCOPIC LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL WITH CRUISE CONTROL

* STEERING WHEEL AUDIO CONTROLS

* REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY

* REMOTE VEHICLE START

* UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE

* INSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR, AUTO DIMMING WITH COMPASS

* TIRE SEALANT & INFLATOR KIT IN PLACE OF SPARE TIRE

* TIRE SEALANT & INFLATOR KIT IN PLACE OF SPARE TIRE

MSRP

STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE1: $25,175.00

o DISCOUNT OPTION PACKAGE

o 2LT Option Package

o Imperial Blue met

o Titanium Sheer Suede

o 6-way Power Driver Seat Adjuster

o Remote Vehicle Start System - Key Fob

o Trunk Mat

o Floor Mats - Premium, Carpet Frt, Rr & Trunk

o Sunroof: Sliding, electric

o PROCESSING DIRECTIONS & CONNECTIONS SERVICE PACKAGE

o COUNTRY UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (USA)

o 4 cyl Ecotec 2.4L DOHC engine

o Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic

o Wheels, 17" Chrome-Tech

o NE1:CT/MA/ME/NJ/NY/OR/PA/RI/VT/WA Emissions

o Premium Mat Package

o Premium Trim Pricing Code

o SALES PROCESSING STOCK ORDERS

o Conversion Code for 2LT

o Radio, Digital Audio 'S' Band (XM Radio)

o OnStar

o Bluetooth for phone

o Frt. License Plate Mounting Bracket

o Compact Spare Tire and Jack Assembly

o TOTAL OPTIONS: $1,135.00

o TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS: $26,310.00

o DESTINATION CHARGE: $720.00

o TOTAL VEHICLE PRICE: $27,030.00

That's cool, but still a shame that you had to guilt trip him into buying it rather than him buying it because he liked it better than the rest of the competition.

He tends to get all caught up in "the deal". I was lobbying for a Buick LaCrosse, but it was shot down again as "too fancy" so the Malibu got the nod. He started with the Malibu, then the Subaru dealer started sweetening the deal, so he got caught up in the Subaru. Once my friend confirmed last night he'll buy the Infiniti, he went out today and bought the Malibu once it was a car vs. car comparison. Though he did then lecture me on the 65% NA content in the Subie vs. 75% NA content in the Chevy -- which I then had to explain parts content vs. where do the profits go, etc.

The next challenge will be if the Mariner's days are numbered -- he likes the GMC Terrain (and I hate them) -- much rather have an Equinox, though the baby Enclave could be a contender if it comes to market soon enough.

I was most surprised he didn't like the Ford Fusion -- quote being "I've had enough of cheap plastic" after he looked at it.

Glad he got a GM car even if you played the guilt card. He will like it and be glad he got and listened to you. They are a GREAT car. And can we please have some photos of this beauty I want to see the new 17 inch chrome wheels!

Edited by gm4life

Congrats on getting another Malibu sold!! I was trying to talk a co-worker out of buying yet another Toyota product (that's all she's owned outside of an older used Ford F150 pickup purchase 2-3 years ago). She's in her mid-to-late 40's and will only consider Toyota because they've 'never let her down' (the ancient Corolla she drives, a '90 or '92, has reached it's limit and she wants to order a new 2010 Corolla or Camry). I wish I could convince her to consider GM or Ford, but it's notgonnahappen.

I'd consider a Malibu for myself if I wasn't tired of owning a bunch of Epsilon cars the last 5 years ('04 Malibu LT; '07 AURA XE; '08 G6 V6 - all with the 3.5L V6). At this point I want something a little bigger (longer, wider) and still prefer a truck (or SUV/CUV) over a car. The wife is in love with the new Buick LaCrosse and would kill for the opportunity to buy one now.

Post pics as soon as you can!!

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Fully aware of the platform differences. Intent was to get a smaller and simpler car than the M35x that his wife would drive.

Odd the wife didn't go for the Infiniti..women seem to usually like the prestige brands (esp. if they aren't paying for it).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Nice. Congrats to your dad I suppose. Though, if I had to choose between the Legacy GT and the Malibu, the Leggy would win hands down. Has he driven any of the options? I'm not so sure I understand the "too fancy" thing.

You know the LaCrosse is Epsilon (II) right? Plus you own a car that's bigger.

Yeah, I know it's Epsilon II, but it doesn't feel much bigger than my AURA :lol: And you're right, my soon-to-be daily driver is bigger than any of the Epsilons out there!!

Sorry we :hijacked: your thread for a moment there BigPontiac!

Odd the wife didn't go for the Infiniti..women seem to usually like the prestige brands (esp. if they aren't paying for it).

His wife is 64, so she wasn't thrilled by some of the "technology" features on the Infiniti -- the main ones being the keyless ignition/push button start, the electric tilt/telescope steering column and the "Infiniti Controller" to adjust climate control, stereo, etc. I logged some over 200mi in the car this past week bring it to my friend's house and back and none of those feature endeared themselves to me either :P It's also a reasonably large car and she wasn't comfortable driving something so large.

malibu and legacy are both good cars. i would take either of them, but the malibu has more charisma.

there is no shame with the malibu as a choice. congrats!

Nice. Congrats to your dad I suppose. Though, if I had to choose between the Legacy GT and the Malibu, the Leggy would win hands down. Has he driven any of the options? I'm not so sure I understand the "too fancy" thing.

I find the new Legacy's to be a little strange looking -- mostly the front. He's already had both a previous generation Legacy wagon and a Forrester, so it was time to mix it up a little. I'm happy he's buying the Chevy -- but if this car has even a single problem I'll never hear the end of it!

Chevy's offering a $1,500 cash incentive currently, plus they'll give you $500 if you don't opt for the 60 return option. Add to that my Dad's eligible for supplier pricing and deal became too compelling to refuse. Taking the trade-in factor out of the equation was the key factor in the end.

That '74 would be a very cool find today!

I don't really remember much about it...just the power back window that went into the roof and the tailgate that went into the floor. I'm not even sure there are any pictures of it kicking around. I may have an extra wheel cover from it kicking around in my basement.

My one main memory is that it blew a headlight on the way home from the dealer the day we picked it up :AH-HA_wink:

It's cooler sibling at the time in the garage was a 1976 Plymouth Volare coupe, silver with a maroon rear quarter top and maroon interior/bucket seats, dog dish hub caps. 318 V-8 with a 4sp manual. It had HUGE quality problems and the front fenders rusted out within the first year, but "when it ran, it was awesome" is his quote. He special ordered it and based his purchase on Consumer's Reports recommending it!

Our teenage neighbor across the street at the time "midnight auto'd" him some full wheel covers for it. I still have the 4 dog dish caps.

Congratulations to your father, BP. Blue and gray are one of my favorite color schemes on a car. Pics ASAP, please.

Delivery is either Fri or Sat next week, then I should have pics. First I have to get the Infiniti delivered to my friend so the plates can go on the 'Bu.

Big difference, going from a jolly green giant like the awesome '74 Bel Air wagon down to a (downsized that year) '78 Century wagon!

I am pretty sure the Buick had a 3.8L V-6 in it, but I'm not a 100% on that. I know it was special ordered, light green with matching vinyl interior. My memory of that one is that the back windows didn't roll down and all we had vents that opened. Oh, and it had a whip antenna mounted to the bumper for my dad's CB radio!

Edited by BigPontiac

Those clamshell tailgate wagons really were pretty cool. Add in the 454 and the "woodgrain delete", and the thing would be a great cruise night piece. I can picture the car completely.

I was probably about 4 when we got it, so my memory is a bit sketchy on it. Fairly certain it also had a whip antenna for the CB mounted on the back bumper.

Save for the 1985 Buick Skyhawk Wagon which was light blue (and I saw alive and kicking last year!) all other wagons in my family have been green for some odd reason -- hence why the Novamad was so appealing -- I'm upholding tradition!

1970 Pontiac Catalina Wagon

1974 Chevy Bel Air Wagon

1978 Buick Century Wagon

1985 Buick Skyhawk Wagon

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon

I find the new Legacy's to be a little strange looking -- mostly the front. He's already had both a previous generation Legacy wagon and a Forrester, so it was time to mix it up a little. I'm happy he's buying the Chevy -- but if this car has even a single problem I'll never hear the end of it!

Chevy's offering a $1,500 cash incentive currently, plus they'll give you $500 if you don't opt for the 60 return option. Add to that my Dad's eligible for supplier pricing and deal became too compelling to refuse. Taking the trade-in factor out of the equation was the key factor in the end.

i've test driven the malibu. with the 4 and 6 speed auto, as well as the similar 3.6 aura.

i've also test driven the 010 outback with CVT.

i can assure you the malibu has a more zingy persona. the subie has a bit nicer interior, mainly because of plastics.

these people that bitch about cars not having problems. a car is a complex mechanical device. GM is not the only car to have problems!

i took a weeklong course last week at a local U, and one day the prof comes in steamed because the CVT blew out on his murano. 2 weeks after the warranty ended.

I thought nissan was a golden child! LMAO.....then a fellow student chimed in with a story on her honda automatic 5 speed that blew up. in any case, i believe some day the word will have finally gotten around that other non US manuf cars are buckets of bolts too.

I will say this, i hear of CVT issues with so many cars that have the CVT. I ain't touching one. Not without a long ass warranty. I don't care if its subaru. i am trusting the traditional 6 speed in the mali before i fully trust a CVT.

that was why i got the 500 with the 6 speed instead of the CVT.