Camaro or 300zx

alright guys im on a very limited budget i have 5500 to spend on a car and cant really afford to put much in it after that. Ive been looking for a really long time and have it narrowed down to 2 cars. One is a 1991 z28 camaro with 98,000, red, red cloth interior, 5.7 litre engine and automatic tranny. Number two is a red 1990 300zx with 110,00 miles on the body and less then 10k on the new dealer installed engine with a 5spd manua,l new (tastefully done) sound system, and new exhuast headers and all. Both cars are immaculate for the age inside and out. I am a die hard manual guy and have sworn that i wouldnt buy anything but a manual but this camaro is tempting me. but on the other hand i know how advanced the 300zx's were for there time. ive always been a big chevy/camaro guy but for some reason ive always been drawn to nissans z cars. The asking price on both cars is exactly 5500. I want to get the best car for the money. Which car do you think that is?

the 300ZX sounds like the pick to me! for comparison... 300ZX GS Coupe 3219lbs 3.0L V6 222hp @ 6400rpm 198 ft/lb @ 4800rpm 18/24mpg 1991 Camaro Z28 3298lbs 5.7L V8 245hp @ ?? 345? ft/lb @ ?? 16/24mpg now if you happened to come cross one of them turbo Zs... well.. 1990 300ZX TURBO 3414lbs 3.0L Turbo V6 300hp @ 6400rpm 280 ft/lb @ 6400rpm 18/24mpg i imagine the turbo 300ZX would probably outrun a camaro of the same year Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

Why not get a 4th gen. They were a whole lot nicer, quieter, faster, and more stylish in my opinion. If you're lucky, you can even land a V8 with 285-305HP around your price. Otherwise you can still get a 200HP 3.8V6 in up to a 1998 in your price range. I picked up a 99 Firebird Convt with the 3.8, a 5 speed, fully loaded with only 75000 miles for 6700 a year ago. Dig a little deeper and you'll find alot more for your money than a 15 year old car with leftover 80s handling and build quality, and rather weak engine outputs. A stock everyday 3.8V6 from the mid 90s put out equal to a high output V6 or a V8 from the late 80s to 1990 era. They got better mileage to boot! The 4th gens also came standard with 16"-17" wheels, dual airbags, and even 4 wheel discs as of 1998. I ha a brand new 2000 V6 firebird with the chrome 17" wheel option, posi, and the higher rear end gear and I could do doughnuts all day on DRY pavement. That was with 55 series 17" tires. These cars are awesome, you should truly consider them.

Here's a good example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fast-Fast-F...1QQcmdZViewItem

yea i have thought about going the 4th gen v6 route but i really think if im gonna go v6 im gonna go the way of the 300zx the camaros are just all over the place. and my reason for thinking 3rd gen is my love for the 91 z28 and the huge jump in insurance prices from 3rd gen to 4th gen, injurance goes up about 50 dollars a month going from a 92 z28 to a 93 z28

If the pick were mine, I would go with 300ZX on (STOCK) looks alone (though the 5speed manul would be another + factor, even though I still have to learn stick). Now if the Camaro were any 4th gen F-body V8 I'd have to think on that and probly would choose the camaro (auto/manual) unless the 300ZX was a TT Slightly off topic, this is something I've been wondering, are there RWD models with a TT engine or are the only AWD?

The camaro with the 5.7 will be much cheaper to fix since its engine that has been put in cars for years. like all GM cop cars in the 80's had that same exact low cost engine the 5.7.(example caprice) The handling is great and the looks are awesome. the ZX on the other hand is expensive to repair. Mostly in electronics. To me it looks plane and flat and just has no spirt. Handling would be better than the camaro. Accelertion is about the same but the v8 has more torque which means it will spin tires. However the ZX will be lighter on the fuel bill. I would go wiht the PROVEN realiebilty of the Camaro. But I have an Bias. Plus I love those 3rd gens. Its vs. V8 thoaty rumple or a V6 more High pitched sound. And if you like aftermarket stuff like performance. Enless cheap stuff for the Camaro. The ZX has lots of stuff too. but the price will be higher since the engine is pretty well modded out from the factory to get high power. so stuff and electronic upgrades will cost more. I'd really look at some other cars too. to compare. Autos arent bad at all if you live in the city its so much easy with auto. but going from a stick some times you find your left foot bored and creep up on the brake. If you live in the country Manuals are good. My pick would be the Camaro. hope i was a little helpful.

Those ZX's are some nice looking little cars but I smell a money pit. Already had the engine changed at 100,000 miles ? Probably drove hard or weak to begin with ? Id be worried about that, so Id do some research on the drivetrain. Tuff call, both look good and perform well. Thing is you said you dont want to spend later. Thats the key right there, Id spend some time looking and not jump to soon. Whats the typical durability of the 5.7 ? Thats at 98,000. Of course that wont break the budget if it acts up. Isnt 5500 kinda high for these cars or is that because they are performance models ? offer 2500 to each of them and get both.

I would go with the Camaro. Nissan is ok with me, but the Chevrolet has advantages that are hard to ignore. It will be less expensive to repair. Parts are more readily available. It's a less complicated design.

Sports cars seem to be victims of their drivers, no matter what brand they are, they all get abused, or worse, wrecked and put back together in a questionable manner. No matter which one (Camaro) you choose, have a mechanic and an experienced bodyman look it (Camaro) over.

Best of luck in your decision!

If you haven't driven them you should try them and that should give you the insight into which one is in better condition. the 3.0 engine that was in the 300 was also readily available in Nissan Maximas, and a few Infinitis, so parts won't be an issue, although the expense to repair and labor for it is another thing. All things considered I would just go for the 300 since it's the nicer looking car and is pretty fun too.

thanks for all the help guys. in the end i chose the camaro. i think it has something to do with the concept coming out or something but i just couldnt bring myself to go for the 300zx. I have talked the guy with the camaro down to 5000 and will probably be driving out next weekend to seal the deal