ALL-NEW CADILLAC ESCALADE EXT SPORT UTILITY TRUCK DEBUTS AT NAIAS

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DETROIT – Debuting at the North American International Auto Show, th e all-new 2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT sport utility truck expands the Escalade family of vehicles with a new look that’s still instantly recognizable as a Cadillac. With elements of a luxury SUV and pickup truck, the Escalade EXT has attracted new generations of buyers to Cadillac and helps introduce the next step in the brand’s ongoing renaissance.

Based on General Motors’ all-new full-size SUV platform, the ’07 Escalade EXT features new powertrain, chassis, safety and interior systems. These integrated systems deliver the most powerful, efficient luxury SUV in the segment, led by a new 6.2L all-aluminum V-8 engine with variable valve timing technology delivering 403 horsepower (301 kw)* and 417 lb.-ft. of torque (565 Nm).*

Cadillac Escalade EXT will be available in the summer of 2006. It also will be sold outside North America , thus strengthening Cadillac's global portfolio.

Escalade EXT has a sleeker, cleaner and more athletic form with improved aerodynamics while appearing smaller in stature. It is instantly identifiable and incorporates styling cues from the landmark Sixteen concept vehicle, including a more detailed signature grille, front fender vent ports and layers of chrome accents.

Details in elements such as wraparound fascias, styled mirrors and integrated running boards enhance Escalade EXT’s flowing design and bolster the refined feeling. All major sheetmetal and body components are new and feature crisp, taut lines. The sleek, toned look includes a faster windshield angle of 57 degrees, which flows gracefully into the roofline. This also improves aerodynamic performance to a segment-best 0.36 coefficient of drag, which helps improve fuel economy and reduce wind noise.

All-new interior styling is a cornerstone of the new Escalade EXT. The warm and inviting interior is complemented with premium materials and a distinct layout. The cabin also is more spacious, with an instrument panel that is lower and moved forward in the vehicle. This interior comes in two colors: Ebony and Cashmere . The vehicle features a unique instrument panel, instrumentation gauges with white needles and blue light inlays with continuously lit, white-LED backlighting, Nuance leather-covered seats, leather-covered door trim and center console, fabric-covered interior pillars and available heated and cooled front seats and heated steering wheel.

Escalade EXT also includes an available 8-inch touch-screen navigation system, as well as a DVD system with large 8-inch flip-down screen. A segment-first Bose 5.1 Digital Surround Sound system is integrated into the new family of radios that play DVD audio/video, CD audio/video, MP3s and XM Satellite Radio.

A new 6.2L V-8 rated at 403 horsepower (301 kw)* and 417 lb.-ft. of torque (565 Nm)* is exclusive to the Escalade family. This all-aluminum engine uses v ariable valve timing (VVT) to optimize camshaft timing to improve low-rpm torque and high-rpm horsepower. The introduction of variable valve timing through the unique, dual-equal cam phaser is the industry’s first application of VVT on a mass-produced V-8 overhead-valve engine.

A new Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission is matched with the 6.2L engine. One of the industry’s most advanced automatics, the 6L80 features clutch-to-clutch shifting and has a wide, 6.04:1 overall ratio – including two overdrive gears – that helps deliver an excellent balance of performance and fuel economy.

A stronger frame and chassis support the more powerful powertrain and enable exceptional responsiveness and ride and handling smoothness. A new, fully boxed frame offers 49 percent increased torsional stiffness and a 35-percent improvement in beaming frequency, compared to previous models.

Larger, four-wheel disc brakes and an all-new Bosch ABS system help ensure braking performance. ABS works with the StabiliTrak stability control system’s new rollover mitigation technology. This software algorithm technology uses sensors to proactively predict vehicle “tip-up” and apply appropriate brake force to help prevent such events.

Escalade EXT is designed to be among the industry’s safest and most secure vehicles, with numerous safety systems and crash-avoidance technologies. New occupant protection features include head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for all seating rows and an industry-first 360-degree front safety belt pretensioner activation system.

Escalade EXT comes with the Generation 6 OnStar system (with a one-year Directions and Connections service plan). It includes the General Motors Advanced Automatic Crash Notification (AACN) system, making crash data available to emergency services to potentially dispatch the appropriate life-saving personnel and equipment to crash scenes faster. If the vehicle is in a crash that activates an air bag, the OnStar system automatically notifies an OnStar Advisor, who will check on the occupants and summon emergency help if necessary. OnStar also can assist authorities in locating a vehicle if it is reported stolen (ability to locate stolen vehicles varies with conditions).

They should do two-tone combos with trim and the flying buttress.  In two years the buttress plastic will NOT color-match the paint job.

[post="68608"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I always thought the EXT's buttress whould be solid and not have the triangular hole to differntiate it between the Ave. Plus it would give it a more A&S look. Edited by evok

Looks very nice and refined... however you still have to do a double take to see that it is a new truck and not the old one. Saw a silver escalade on the highway 2 days ago heading on the opposite direction. It caught my eye but had to look twice to make sure it wasn't a current model... I'd love to have one of these over my current avalanche!!! When will the new Avalanche debut? Obviously it will look like the tahoe for the most part but am anxious to see it.

This thing is ammaaazzziiiiinnng!!!! It looks great, but i think the front end should be a little more diffrent from the suv's, but biig thumbs upp!!! ^_^

There was a problem with the finish on the current flying buttress/side compartment material, Cadillac sent out a TSB. Hopefully the new materials are more durable.

The flying buttress, for me, ties this new truck to the old one too tightly.

One thing I just realized... the EXT still has a "trucky" rear bumper. While all the other GMT-900s we've seen have intergrated rear bumpers, the EXT (and I'm assuming the Avalanche and 900 trucks) have a regular separate truck bumper. Nothing wrong with it, just pointing it out.

There was a problem with the finish on the current flying buttress/side compartment material, Cadillac sent out a TSB.  Hopefully the new materials are more durable.

The flying buttress, for me, ties this new truck to the old one too tightly.

[post="69092"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My guess is that GM held costs down by using the EXACT same Avalanche bed and used that body crease below the tool boxes to conceal the differences in width of the vehicle. Probably later in this products life we will se an updated bed.

Just look at lock placement and the shape and size of the triangle in the buttress.

Yeah, I really wish they would have done more to the back end on the EXT. I agree with Ocnblu, Walt and Single...the carry-over buttress and rear in general (lock placement, etc.) remind me too much of the 800's. They needed to do more to differentiate between the two generations. But it looks great from the C-pillar forward.

To be honest, somewhat disappointed in the exterior styling.

As a (cladded) Avalance owner, I always have wanted to paint my cladding to match the body color, as the old Escalade with its variation on painted cladding looked great.

With the removal of the cladding and as a result, the subtle side body lines on the EXT....well.., not impressed. Other then the slightly improved front end, it doesn't change the look that much, or do it for me.

I bet when the new Avalanche comes out, it will look much too much like this EXT.

Of course the 400HP and 6spd, and interior make this a nicer vehicle then the current EXT.

But in comparo....
Old EXT (basically stock, Aftermarket wheels):HERE Edited by mr.nice

Looks very nice and refined... however you still have to do a double take to see that it is a new truck and not the old one. Saw a silver escalade on the highway 2 days ago heading on the opposite direction. It caught my eye but had to look twice to make sure it wasn't a current model... I'd love to have one of these over my current avalanche!!! When will the new Avalanche debut? Obviously it will look like the tahoe for the most part but am anxious to see it.

[post="68632"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's not really a bad thing though..... As popular as the current 'slade is..

If I were buying a new Escalade, this would be it! The EXT rocks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There aren't too many rear shots of the ext so its hard to tell. I noticed what looked like could be two lenses in a few of the press photos, but this one on the cadillac website clearly shows two lenses and the two bulbs illuminating them. :( It's on the middle of the page on the right.

escalade ext

Edited by mark_s_686