Buick China's new 5-dr sedan is "Yinglang"

wildcat

The name of the new Buick 5-door sedan in China is... Yinglang. Global Times reports that "The Yinglang model is the Chinese version of the Opel Astra. According to autohome.com, the Yinglang may feature 1.6-liter and 1.8-liter engines, and the luxury model will be loaded with a 1.6T turbocharged engine." For a couple pictures, click here.

It's a local name for the local market, no doubt. A Chinese Buick shopper wouldn't know WTF a 'Skylark' was, but a Yinglang, on the other hand..

I assume the hatchback won't come to the US, but we will get only an automatic sedan which would be more fitting w/ the US brand image of Buick. Maybe for the US the compact can be called Skylark or another Wisconsin town name to fit w/ LaCrosse.

Oh no, don't give GM any ideas...

Buick Minneapolis

Buick Eau Claire

Buick St. Paul

Buick Sheboygan

Buick Milwaukee

Buick Racine

Buick Cedar Rapids

Buick Kenosha

Kenosha has AMC roots. I'm leaning towards Eau Claire as like w/ LaCrosse, it sounds French. And for Canada, to go with 'Allure' maybe call it the 'Desire'. :)

Imagine if they sold it in the US with that name (chances are they won't, yeah, but still).

Guy 1: "Whassat thur?"

Guy 2: "Lerks like-a Buerick."

Guy 1: "Whassa name on it? Ying ... ying ... what?"

Guy 2: "I thinkya says it 'Ying-yang.'"

Guy 1: "Did you say 'Johnny Lang?'"

Guy 2: "I says Ying-yang!"

Guy 1: "Fling-flang?"

Guy 2: "Clean thathur cotton outta yer ears. It's pronounced YING-AH, YANG-AH."

Guy 1: "Ah, yeah, yer right. Whert a dumb name."

Edited by whiteknight

Dumb name, still don't know if I like the looks of it. I would have to see it in better photos. This car should have been called Skylark.

Ands there is some gentleman named Wu Flung Dung in Shanghi saying "Skylark is such a Dumb Name thank God they used Yinglang" Names are only as good as where the car is sold.

The Datsun Fairlady was not a killer name here but loved in Japan.

Dumb name, still don't know if I like the looks of it. I would have to see it in better photos. This car should have been called Skylark.

Dumb thing to say. It's China not Americanland. Different culture, different language. It's a Chinese market vehicle so it has a Chinese market name.