Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blake Noble

Be On-The-Go In A 1980 Pinto

49 posts in this topic

Those seats look awful fancy... I wonder if they're out of a Mustang II Ghia?

A black paint job, a screaming chicken on the hood...park it out in the tall grass in front of a trailer...perfect car for Berea!

Seriously, my teenage daughter took one look at this over my shoulder and yelled "hey Mom, come look at this, someone actually built an uglier car than the Nissan Cube!"

Chris

Such a warm and loving bunch you guys are.

I'll start ranting about B-pillars next so that, you know, you can keep up dishing out the shit.

Such a warm and loving bunch you guys are.

I'll start ranting about B-pillars next so that, you know, you can keep up dishing out the shit.

+1

Seriously though, why do people hate the Pintos? Were they just really $h!ty cars or what?

Seriously though, why do people hate the Pintos? Were they just really $h!ty cars or what?

+1

It's an American subcompact car from the '70s. Of course it's shitty.

Edited by whiteknight

Pintos were best known were exploding when rear-ended. Shades of Crown Victoria. They fixed it in later years. Pintos garnered about as much respect as Vegas.

Good find WK!

You should totally buy this. This car will allow you to haul around motors and trannys for your other broken cars.

Good find WK!

You should totally buy this. This car will allow you to haul around motors and trannys for your other broken cars.

Why thanks for asking. The $500 307 in the Buick is doing excellent.

Glad to hear the 307 is doing so well in the buick, knight.

And I really do hope you hold onto that Buick. Something about that car...

But I do also remember when the four college girls were killed in Indiana in a Pinto that got rear ended. IIRC that's what started the whole thing with the pinto. It happened between Goshen and Elkart Indiana. My mother grew up in Elkart and my father grew up in Goshen and we were visiting gradparents at the time...came upon the scene of the wreck just after they hauled the burned Pinto away. BIG black mark on the pavement...remember it being on the evening news that night.

The Pinto had a decent front suspension and a decent iron block 4 cyl. motor. It wasn't a complete crapbox like the unloved Vega.

But then again...I've always had a fetish for the Cosworth Vega. Not far from here on a farm next to a barn a Cosworth Vega and first gen RX-7 are both resting, been there for years along with the remains of a vintage Alfa Romeo. Would love to rescue all 3.

I am as hopeless as knight, actually methinks.

Chris

Glad to hear the 307 is doing so well in the buick, knight.

Thanks. :)

I will eventually have to buy a new intake manifold for it, though. Not that there is anything wrong with the stock one or that it absolutely has to be replaced, but it has a lot of unused, blocked-off mounting holes where all of the smog equipment used to be and an aluminum one will nudge the performance up slightly.

Other than that, it sounds as good as the old 350 that was in it, surprisingly has similar acceleration to the 350 before it almost threw a rod, and holds oil pressure at 50 psi while the 350 only held 20 in its last days.

And I really do hope you hold onto that Buick. Something about that car...

You sound like I did when I first had the car offered to me.

I don't know what that something is, but that something made me choose it over a T/A that was also offered up for trade.

But I do also remember when the four college girls were killed in Indiana in a Pinto that got rear ended. IIRC that's what started the whole thing with the pinto. It happened between Goshen and Elkart Indiana. My mother grew up in Elkart and my father grew up in Goshen and we were visiting gradparents at the time...came upon the scene of the wreck just after they hauled the burned Pinto away. BIG black mark on the pavement...remember it being on the evening news that night.

The Pinto had a decent front suspension and a decent iron block 4 cyl. motor. It wasn't a complete crapbox like the unloved Vega.

Saying the Pinto was a better car than a Vega is like saying amoebic dysentery is a better gastrointestinal disorder than Crohn's Disease.

But then again...I've always had a fetish for the Cosworth Vega. Not far from here on a farm next to a barn a Cosworth Vega and first gen RX-7 are both resting, been there for years along with the remains of a vintage Alfa Romeo. Would love to rescue all 3.

The Cosworth is sort of like the Cobalt SS Turbo's great-grandpa. I'd never buy one, but I can sort of understand the appeal. Why they made it almost as expensive as a Corvette at the time and four times as slow is ludicrous.

I am as hopeless as knight, actually methinks.

Chris

Welcome to the Dark Side. Enjoy the cookies and beer. :P

Edited by whiteknight

Call me crazy but I think it's kind of cool.

Well, you ARE crazy.

Of course, so am I. I like the 2-door wagons... even the unloved Pinto and Vegas. Especially the rarer ones towards the end of the production run.

There is more style in the Pinto wagon than all of modern Toyota can muster.

Its the whole rear end fireball thing. Just like the Vega was vilified by the awful 2300 engine. These things got fixed... eventually. Otherwise, they weren't so bad. I know of many that survived for decades and 200K+ miles on nothing but duct tape.

Most people here love looking down their nose at the Pinto, Vega, Gremlin, Pacer... but then again, thats only because they are spoiled by the modern crap. There was a time where this was BETTER than walking or taking the bus. Mostly.

These are the same types that brag about their Prius, because they have no idea that a 20 year old Metro they would never consider good enough for a third world family beats them in mileage.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0