What is yours?

The 1951 Mercury is an all-time customizer's favorite. The Turnpike Cruiser exemplified the optimistic, space-age exuberance of the late 50's. The big bruiser Marauders of the early to mid-60's did well on the streets and the NASCAR tracks. The 1967 Cougar slunk into our consciousness as a cross between personal luxury and ponycar. When you think of cool Mercuries, what comes to your mind?

For me, just the opposite. LOVE the 49-50 Merc, esp. in original unmolested form...but love customs also.

But I am a huge fanboi of the 69-70 Cougar. LOVE the eliminator. THAT car is the cats ass if you ask me! Had a guy offer to trade me a Cougar Eliminator in Grabber Blue for my 66 Mustang Fastback. Cougar was in fabulous condition. Turned the guy down...regretted it to this day.

Other Mercury that was offered to me was the 1966 Mercury Cyclone GT Convertible, a red on white with a 4 speed, 390 car...just like the 1966 Indy pace car. Turned THAT guy down too. The 66-67 Cyclone design was really clean IMHO...love that car also.

And the 64 Comet had really good lines, with its neatly sculped sides...one of the neatest cars ever from Mercury.

The things a guy will do to hold onto an old Mustang.

Chris

'67-70 Cougar, definitely. Grew up with them, my Mom still has 3 ('67 and 2 '68s). I like the '69-70 Marauder, '69-72 Marquis and Monterey...pretty much any full size Merc from '61 into the '70s. I also like the '68-72 Montegos and Cyclones..there is a sharp orange '72 Cyclone around here that I see occasionally.

I've never cared for the '49-51 Mercs...the humpy styling does nothing for me, I guess they primarily appeal to an older generation that remembers when they were common...I just can't relate to '50s styling in general, I find the '70s lower-longer-wider much more appealing.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Everything mentioned above, along with the '39 Merc two-door convertible and the Marquis and Meteor Montcalm from the 60s and 70s.

1939Ad1.jpg

1975MeteorMontcalm2drGray.jpg

1978MercuryGrandMarquis2DrTuTone.jpg

mer61yel.jpg

1954SunValleyAd.jpg1949MercuryAD.jpg

I like most Mercuries from 1960 up through about 1978 and then the Cougar line and Grand Marquis after that. 1957-1959 Mercs have never really appealed to me very much...the styling seemed too busy.

Edited by mustang84

The '49-50 Mercs were never common when I was growing up (after their time, unfortunately) - in fact, I've never seen one as a daily driver... but via shows & such I've seen at least 1 hundred.

1949MercuryAD.jpg

IMO, this is one of the most near-perfect shapes ever penned. No bad angles or details, and only (slightly) improved by a tasteful mild chop. Most other manufacturers have struggled & failed to produce such cohesive timelessness. An icon.

...it is an Icon...and it is timless...but I'd still rather have a 69 Cougar ragtop.

Chris

+1. Or a '69-70 Marquis ragtop...I remember seeing one of those in Florida as a kid, and another one here in Phoenix a couple times over the last year. I think I've only seen two of them in my lifetime! I'm sure the '49-50 Merc is iconic, it just has zero appeal to me..I just can't get into cars of that era.

I love cars of the 50's era...I just love "ponycars" more.

And sports cars

And brass era cars

And 1930's era cars

And a few cars of the 1920's.

Chris

Chris- Are you saying you like all in that list above more than '50s cars ??... or just that you like stuff from every era ? :booyah:

As far as 'relating' to a particular car, I don't quite understand that. As a fan of automobiles (you heard it here first! ;) ), I have always investigated all eras back to the dawn, so whether I remember them from childhood or not, I like what I like. There are a bucketful of cars I absolutely love for various reasons, yet have never seen any more than pics/ drawings. Or maybe I'm merely more involved than other enthusiasts... because a LOT of what I grew up with bores me at this point.

Chris- Are you saying you like all in that list above more than '50s cars ??... or just that you like stuff from every era ? booyah.gif

As far as 'relating' to a particular car, I don't quite understand that. As a fan of automobiles (you heard it here first! wink.gif ), I have always investigated all eras back to the dawn, so whether I remember them from childhood or not, I like what I like. There are a bucketful of cars I absolutely love for various reasons, yet have never seen any more than pics/ drawings. Or maybe I'm merely more involved than other enthusiasts... because a LOT of what I grew up with bores me at this point.

Pretty much cars from every era. I am like you, in that I like a lot of everything. We both LOVE the 1960's Pontiacs. I also am tired of a lot of the stuff that I grew up with.

Interesting that we both chose such different ways to enjoy the automotive thing...me moving into a few more modern small sporty cars and you building a magnum opus with a B-59. We couldn't be any more different.

Starting to really like the 1950's mopar stuff. The 1950's cars I love are actually the 1950-1954 Chevrolet two door post coupes. Don't ask me why...I just do. Think because I've owned a 55 Chevy and a 1957 Chevy, and would want something different if I got another 1950's car.

Chris

There is a pretty thin list of 50's stuff that I really love - though I respect many of the cars from the decade.

Earlier stuff than that can wow me with detail and design, but I don't really want to own them.

Cars that form my main obsession come from the 60s and early 70s.

After that it is more of a case-by-case sort of thing with the selection diminishing over the years.

I think that is why I am so passionate about both the classic iron I love and any new car that fits my template.

I'll never be satisfied with an average car.

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes: youngin'

As a kid watching Hawaii Five-0, I was always a fan of Jack Lord's big, bad-ass black Mercury sedans. It was always a treat to watch the new fall TV shows, because the cars were all brand new for the model year, and it was sometimes the first place I got to see the new metal. Book 'em, Dan-O!

:rolleyes: youngin'

As a kid watching Hawaii Five-0, I was always a fan of Jack Lord's big, bad-ass black Mercury sedans. It was always a treat to watch the new fall TV shows, because the cars were all brand new for the model year, and it was sometimes the first place I got to see the new metal. Book 'em, Dan-O!

Oh yeah! Some of my favorite childhood TV memories involve watching Hawaii Five-0, Police Story, Starsky and Hutch, Rockford Files, Streets of San Francisco w/ my Dad...love those big late '60s and '70s Fords and Mercs...and those are the kind of cars my folks drove..Cougars, Marquis, Lincolns, etc.

There is a goregous Royal Maroon '69 Marquis convertible here in NoCenPho that I see occasionally..got to be a pretty rare car. Love the lower-longer-wider styling.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

A buddy of mine in high school had a puke yellow 1975 Mercury Marquis with some light surface rust. Every time I watch the Top Gear episode where they go to the southern US and the one guy walks around the Caddy and says it takes a "really long time to walk around it," I can't help but smile and remember that big old beast of a Mercury. I would love to see Ford someday do a modernized take on its executive style cars from the 60s and 70s...brawny, black sedans that looked like they meant business.

...I would love to see Ford someday do a modernized take on its executive style cars from the 60s and 70s...brawny, black sedans that looked like they meant business.

yes.gif esp '69 - '78 fullsize Mercs

tho I like the couple years before too, they didn't have that 'gravitas'

Edited by 2b2

• 3 weeks later...

When you think of cool Mercuries, what comes to your mind?

First, I guess I'd have to say a 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible. A co-worker of my Father's had an all-white one (white body, white top, whitewalls and wire wheels) at the time it was new. I thought it was sharp. I also personally like the big, stylish early '60s Mercs (though not as much as GM's stuff, of course LOL).

I recently got my Mother all 6 (so far) of the complete seasons of "Hawaii 5-0" on DVD. I watched a few episodes first and in one, the Mercury logo on the hood of Jack Lord's 1968 car was actually taped over with black tape. Then, in other episodes, it was clearly visible. I also watched one of the later episodes, where he was given a newer Mercury ('74?-'75?), and they showed a lack of continuity by using clips of McGarrett's old Mercury racing to some scene, even though he was now driving the newer one.

Lastly, as a kid, I had a green "Matchbox" of a '68 Mercury wagon LOL