Starting with the wheels..

daves87rs

Okay, I'm borrowing the topic from the Bu....

"The Fusion was a sales dog for a couple years till they rounded the nose a little and upgraded the interior. The wheels have made the greatest impact"

Hyperv6 brought up a very good point there. Even the Fusion base model lacks wheel covers. This even makes the basic buyer feel good about how their car looks.

Hence, my worrysome issue. I've peeked at other chevy sites where the Cruze is available, an saw something that saddens me: real dorky wheel covers on the base model. My gut tells me that it will be the same way here. Not good.

I'm the kinda guy who likes their cars simple. A nice set of wheels and a sunroof is pretty much all I need. Problem is, why should I have to upgrade a few trim levels to make my car look nice?

I was hoping for a set up like the current Malibu. Even the LS model has a nice set of 17s" wheels. Why they cannot spend a few extra bucks on wheels is beyond me. Now, the Aveo I can understand (though it should get a nicer set as well), as it is built at a lower price point. But, the Cruze? Come on......

At least with the Cavalier (going back to 03-05), you could order a nice "sport package" on the base models for a few bucks more...even for a few bucks, I'd be game with a nicer set of wheels and a spoiler....

On top of that, the Focus has no steel wheels throughout the line. That continues with the next Foci too........

What's up GM?

There are many wheels from GM anymore I am not a fan of.

A good set of wheels can make a car and a bad set can kill a cars looks.

I mean if they can spring for a good set of Forged split 5 spoke polished wheels on my HHR SS why can't they do something as an option on the Bu and Cruze. Even the SPO wheels suck.

I also think they can so something better than the cheap base wheels too. The little more it would cost would translate into enoguh sales to pay for it.

Here is the what I mean on the Bu.

bucheap.jpg

bultz.jpg

The LTZ wheels just enhances the image of the car more. It makes it look more expensice VS the wheels on the LS.

Edited by hyperv6

I believe the base wheels on the Fusion and the Malibu are the same type: steel with permanently attached plastic covers. Chevy also had them on the Cobalt, and Pontiac on the G5 and G6. I have to say the Fusion's base wheel is more interesting looking, however.

I believe the base wheels on the Fusion and the Malibu are the same type: steel with permanently attached plastic covers. Chevy also had them on the Cobalt, and Pontiac on the G5 and G6. I have to say the Fusion's base wheel is more interesting looking, however.

I have seen some that have been well done and will fool you till you are up close. None were on Chevys.

Fusion's look real good then....

• 1 month later...

Base Malibu rims, up close, are very well done as far as NOT looking like a cheesy hubcap. The chrome-clad steels are also very well done. Styling is of course, objective. The Malibu LS rims remind me of the Z28 rims of the 3rd gen Camaro- strong Chevy vibe.

If you put the LTZ rims on the LS, what do you put on the LTZ and the 2LT & 1LT ??

Toyoyo is still pressing extremely cheap plastic hubcaps over visible, 20-hole stamped steel rims.

The 2010 1/2 Impala has lost it's 16" plastic hubcaps in favor of 17" fascia covers like the Malibu. They look similar to the now defunct G6 17 fascias and make the base Impala LS look a lot better IMO.

Unfortunately they also discontinued the 16 inch alloys like on mine, which means you can't get alloys on the LS anymore. I don't care how they look, a bland ass alloy is better than some plastic cover anyday. You can count me in the group that will refuse to purchase another vehicle that has the Fascia Spoke wheel.

The Wheels in Question

Out:

06ccimpalaqb5.jpg

06ccimpalapy0.jpg

In:

10Imp_RS8Whl.jpg

I will admit- getting real alloys helped push us into a 2LT Malibu.

I just don't know how the 'clad's would hold up over time.

That said, it's her car and she really doesn't care either way.

The "clads" don't hold up at all.

Our 06 Maxx has them and they stick out further beyond what a normal bolt-on wheelcover does, making it real easy to get scraped up against curbs and whatnot. They also fade a bit.

All I can say is... My wheels on my SLE still look like nearly 6 years later. The ones that are just 3 years on my Torrent look just "okay", and I always detail my wheels when I wax... (Which is at least 4 or 5 times a year!) I am not a fan of the chrome clad wheels after having them on the SUV. Anyways I am liking the new Impala LS fasica-spoke wheels it really gives the car a whole new look! I actually really like it, enough for me to actually consider one if I were in the market.

Here is a photograph from the Chevrolet site...

2010_Impala_001.jpg

Edited by gm4life

fusion S has alum wheels. Fusion SE has larger wheels but they are steel wheels with hubcaps. Malibu forces you into hubcaps pretty much across the board. the LS malibu hubcaps are better to look at than the fake chrome ones on the LT, but neither are really desirable. GM should give you an option for alum, like they do on the Lacrosse CX. and they wonder why people develop opinions of their products as cheap.

fusion S has alum wheels. Fusion SE has larger wheels but they are steel wheels with hubcaps. Malibu forces you into hubcaps pretty much across the board. the LS malibu hubcaps are better to look at than the fake chrome ones on the LT, but neither are really desirable. GM should give you an option for alum, like they do on the Lacrosse CX. and they wonder why people develop opinions of their products as cheap.

For 2010, they replaced the polished alloy wheels on the 2LT four-cylinder with "Chrome-Tech" covers. The cheapest Malibu without ungodly plastic draping its wheels is the $27,675 LTZ I4.