Is Blue Devil Alive? Chevy Performance Might Be

Variance

Is Blue Devil Alive? Chevy Performance Might Be Heating Up

By WES RAYNAL

AutoWeek | Published 02/08/06, 12:20 pm et

Chevy officials at the Chicago auto show aren't comfirming that a higher-performance version of the Corvette Z06, called Blue Devil, is under development. But they certainly are not downplaying the possibilities.

"We'd love to have it," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager.

Sources say the Blue Devil might go with a supercharged version of the Z06's 7.0-liter V8, producing upward of 600 hp. Look for lightweight carbon fiber body parts to reduce weight to about 2900 pounds.

Pricing will likely start somewhere around $100,000 if and when the car makes production in 2007.

"My guess is we're going to find a way to do something beyond the Z06, that would be at a much higher price point, and which would compete with some of the leading high-performance cars of the world,'' GM vice chairman Bob Lutz told us last July.

One other hot rumor swirling around Detroit: Camaro produciton has been moved forward, from 2009 to 2008.

Link: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/60208005/1063

Yeah GM has been hinting that they could move the Camaro's production time up. I think its wise for them to do so. They have a lot of buzz with the concept so, they need to take advantage of it. I think the Blue Devil is a cool idea, but I hope they have some exterior changes in mind further differentiate if from the Z06.

If the new mainstream products are as good as has been reported, then halo cars such as the Blue Devil may make it easier for people to take a look at GM cars.

And (hopefully) with the Camaro moved forward any other RWD programs can be moved forward also.

Is Blue Devil Alive? Chevy Performance Might Be Heating Up 

Sources say the Blue Devil might go with a supercharged version of the Z06's 7.0-liter V8, producing upward of 600 hp. Look for lightweight carbon fiber body parts to reduce weight to about 2900 pounds.

Link: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/60208005/1063

The guys on DigitalCorvettes.com have been saying a supercharged 6.2L V8.

they should call the blue devil a ZR1.. more than likely it will probably have an SS badge on it.. the Camaro would probably start rolling down an assembly line in the fall of 2007.. if it is to be a 2008 model they would have to bring it to market in about 18 months.. could be possible if some of the parts are shared with other GM models.. it would share some suspension parts with the cadillac CTS.. now could the Camaro be built in Lansing alongside the CTS and STS?? my guess is that they couldnt keep up with the CTS, STS, SRX and camaro all at the same time..

they should call the blue devil a ZR1.. more than likely it will probably have an SS badge on it.. the Camaro would probably start rolling down an assembly line in the fall of 2007.. if it is to be a 2008 model they would have to bring it to market in about 18 months.. could be possible if some of the parts are shared with other GM models.. it would share some suspension parts with the cadillac CTS.. now could the Camaro be built in Lansing alongside the CTS and STS?? my guess is that they couldnt keep up with the CTS, STS, SRX and camaro all at the same time..

Really yeah, they should call the Blue Devil the ZR-1, simply because the last ZR-1 was a very high performance Vette. And moving up the productuion schedule on the Camaro would be a great thing, and we know that it'll share some parts with existing platforms/vehicles, that's just the easiest way to bring the car to production without a lot of strings and hiccups attached. I really do hope that they do bring both cars out of the woodworks and surpise us all, it'd really give me something to look forward too along with give me another reason to pester my wife and hope and pray that she'll let me buy one.

Really, it could be ZL1, SS, Sting Ray.. but the best of 'em all would be Gran Sport! (kidding, of course!)

I'd say ZL1 is the best name (see screen name) :P

EDIT: it should be called SS, to fit the Chevy performance line.

Edited by ZL-1

I think they should call it si. Then they could put in a 1.8 litre I-4 that makes 625 HP at 13,000 RPM and 125 lb-ft of torque at 12.500 RPM. And it needs a fat wing on the back, preferably a double-decker.

Or they could call it SS to be consistent with the current performance lineup.

-RBB

They should seriously do it, make it just under 100k so it can be the best performing sub-100k sports car in the country! Like I said before, 0-60 in close to 3 seconds flat and a top speed of about 210 would be my best guess on this Blue Devil. I think that they should open up the glory of the original Corvette SS and put it all into the new 600 hp MEGA ULTRA VETTE. Call it the SS to go with the other fine line of SS models. I'd seriously like to see it make it to production. This could beat the Bugatti Veyron in the fastest 0-60 time for a production car!

The only reason they are really making it is to let the XLR-V have the LS7, they want Chevy to have the most powerful sports car made by GM. Because Chevy has more of a history of high performance cars relating back to the muscle car era. Not to say Caddy doesn't, but they didn't the "V" option back then.

They should seriously do it, make it just under 100k so it can be the best performing sub-100k sports car in the country! Like I said before, 0-60 in close to 3 seconds flat and a top speed of about 210 would be my best guess on this Blue Devil. I think that they should open up the glory of the original Corvette SS and put it all into the new 600 hp MEGA ULTRA VETTE. Call it the SS to go with the other fine line of SS models. I'd seriously like to see it make it to production. This could beat the Bugatti Veyron in the fastest 0-60 time for a production car!

Well the Z06 is already the best performing sub 100k car in the country. No one cept for the Viper is even close. Interesting that the XLR-V should be caught up in all of this. Make this new Vette a super vette, have 3 levels of Corvettes (C6, Z06, ZL-1) and have the XLR-V on even keel with the Z06? Never really suspected them of doing that. Could happen. The XLR-V is already a high priced and high caliber number, doing respectable 0-60 times. What's the next powerplant going to be in the next CTS-V? It'd be neat if they put the 7.0 L in that thing.

is this really needed right now?

not to be a puss, but...

Absolutely...

Any POSITIVE news is needed right now... The Camaro will generate good PR and excitement and the Blue Devil will be a shining example of Gm's commitment to PUSH TO BE THE VERY BEST.

The guys on DigitalCorvettes.com have been saying a supercharged 6.2L V8.

If you take the Supercharged N* scenario into account, this would make A LOT of sense... Both of those cars lost displacement due to durability issues.

The should call it ZR-1 and not SS.. You can get an SS on the Cobalt and Malibu but ZR-1 is Corvette only!

I think everybody read the link wrong that I posted. It says on the top right that this CAD/CAE work request is for 6.0 V8 DOHC!! I repeat thats a dual overhead cam engine LS9!! The S/C engine is still in play.

Edited by RJB

A DOHC engine for the Corvette sounds very unlikely considering all the efficiency and power they've gotten out of the OHV design. It could have been just something GM Powertrain were testing or considering, and that would be why it's labeled on that document. Internal testing has shown a 7.0L V12 also in testing, but that never came to fruition. A DOHC engine would mean more weight and more complexity, BUT it is something that GM should be looking into and could be looking into if they figure they have run out of ways to evolve the smallblock. Though I doubt that.

everything ive heard about the blue devil shows the LS7 getting either supercharged or turbocharged... recently its been looking alot like turbocharged because i read somewhere about intercoolers and that sort of thing... horsepower numbers seem to waver between 600 and 700 but the weight always stays the same at 2900... which is ridiculous... this vette would destroy almost any supercar on the market right now... as far as the name is concerned... im partial to ZL1 because im a huge C3 fan... and the name ZL1 just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside...

everything ive heard about the blue devil shows the LS7 getting either supercharged or turbocharged... recently its been looking alot like turbocharged because i read somewhere about intercoolers and that sort of thing... horsepower numbers seem to waver between 600 and 700 but the weight always stays the same at 2900... which is ridiculous... this vette would destroy almost any supercar on the market right now... as far as the name is concerned... im partial to ZL1 because im a huge C3 fan... and the name ZL1 just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside...

The Cobalt SS Supercharged is intercooled. An intercooler isn't just for turbo'd applications.