Changes, changes, and more changes

For the longest time, pretty much the last 2 years straight, since graduating with my $$$ Mechanical Engineering degree from Villanova (worth every cent, honestly, even if technically...), I've been "trying to figure it out". Always wanted to be IN the car industry, but could never figure out how/where/with what, and even things like sales if brought up would get "no..." reactions.

Trying to figure it out meant graduating without the selection of job offers lined up, and so forth. For the last 2 years of school, I had been interning every break from school with a home builder at the beach in Delaware. It was always fun, I knew what I was doing and took charge, once full time taking on an entire department in everything from design to technical plans to marketing to finally even getting into a once in a while sales role I wished I could do more of. But it never fit, just was a placeholder. A placeholder that has kept me frantic 7 days a week and every night, and though I enjoyed the product and the customer side of things, it was never right, and I knew that, despite being the penultimate rock star in every way at my job. It just turned unhealthy and unhappy, in many ways, despite efforts. That happens.

Fast forward. This "trying to figure it out" also turned into "I have a job now...I'll buy a new car...yes." Well, we know how that went. Gave up my "just right" '95 Cadillac Fleetwood, totally clear & free, aside from maintenance and gas. Never should have gotten rid of it. Lemon G6 (I still love it, though, and would have another if normal), Malibu replacement that I enjoyed but also had issues, G8 GT that...if anything...also should have never gone anywhere but did, and then the Avalanche now. Who knows with this one. Lots of interesting decisions and changes, trying to figure it out...

Now starts June and July. A lot has changed. Came to finally decide, with what I love to do, the industry, and my experiences, I really DID want to do something with sales. The process of figuring out that "big, corporate, etc. career and moving to a new state & city..." just wasn't realistic given my current situation, and would be another move too fast & then regret it later. So, stayed closer to home, focused & made a lot of changes in the course of 1 week.

1) Focused on my sales, product, etc. experience and started applying for sales positions with dealers in the area; calls & emails came back, interviews immediately, 3 overall. Finally something felt RIGHT.

2) Interviews went well, one in particular for a dealer group in the area. A pair of their stores just gained a new GM and she was looking for upbeat, excited, and "car nut" people with proper background & experience to make some changes. Resulted in a 2 hour interview, and everything fell into place.

3) Resigned from my current role on Friday afternoon. Still sinking in. Didn't go well, but it's rarely a party.

4) Accepted my new position yesterday...drum roll...I will now be a new & used vehicle sales consultant & taking special charge of internet/online changes & policies as well, as we see how everything goes. Working for a dealer group in Hurlock/Preston, MD, based in the Nissan/Mazda stores but with the ability to sell anything down the line for the dealer group. Nissan, Mazda, Ford-Lincoln-Mercury, Hyundai, and also Suzuki at another location.

Fun, fun, fun times ahead, over the next month. 2 more weeks in my current position, trying to stage a transition as well as I can, then 4th of July weekend heading south to Corolla, NC with close friend & their family for a full week of vacation, and start my new Sales Consultant/etc. role the following Monday, July 12th. Everything just fell into place, resignation timing, the vacation I never expected but also perfectly timed with a friend leaving the same company at the same time, and then an all new exciting job when I get back :AH-HA:

After all of this, something personal vehicle related might be the next step. "Jethro" the Avalanche is not something I realistically can do a 100 mile per day commute in, part gas & also just part this isn't a vehicle I want to rack up 25k+ miles a year in. Never know if I may end up moving or otherwise, but driving from the Delaware beaches west & to Maryland, is just a new adventure. We'll see. I'm looking into what new I can now sell myself, in regards to a car...

Edited by caddycruiser

Thanks...

All the resignation, etc. aside, the one part that will be the biggest is not being connected to GM in any way. Basically seeing the other side of the "normal people" brands, and getting to learn it all and sell it all. A great change. Family wondered what it would take to get me out of my GM parade, who knew a new career would :AH-HA:

I remember back in the day when it was just Preston Ford. Now it's "Preston Everything"! Congrats on the new job! Maybe you'd like to move to Easton, MD? It's a nice town. Keep the Avalanche and buy something like your Dad's Subaru for the commute until you decide (1) that you like your new job and (2) that you'd like to move closer to said job.

I remember back in the day when it was just Preston Ford. Now it's "Preston Everything"! Congrats on the new job! Maybe you'd like to move to Easton, MD? It's a nice town. Keep the Avalanche and buy something like your Dad's Subaru for the commute until you decide (1) that you like your new job and (2) that you'd like to move closer to said job.

Always the voice of reason on so many counts :AH-HA:

Easton has been a thought a lot tonight. No moving yet, we'll see how things go, then look around.

The commute is one big issue. Can't drive the Avalanche that much everyday, but we'll see. 45 miles each way, seems to make for 55 minutes exactly, for time. A 2nd cheapie like dad's Subie was a 1st thought, but then again, another car...regardless, we'll cross that "what to drive" bridge when the time comes. Commute, commute, commute. This is going to be big decision part 2.

Preston. I shop everywhere for everything, dealers especially, and though I never shopped here before aside from internet, immediately felt "at home" with the offices and everyone I met & talked to. Great feeling. Need to train myself on the models, options, colors, prices, etc. of Nissan & Mazda as I'd otherwise already know for GM, Ford, etc. And, hmm, remember how to correctly drive a stick...it's been years.

Edited by caddycruiser

Tell us about the 370Z and the 4DSC. :P

Well, there's this thing... :AH-HA:

The 40th Anniversary 370Z is quite the looker:

JN1AZ4EH8AM501912-3.jpg

JN1AZ4EH8AM501912-7.jpg

JN1AZ4EH8AM501912-11.jpg

And the 4DSC Maxima is one powerful & SMOOOOOTH CVT sport sedan piece. I'm thinking of one for myself, with the great Nissan standard cloth seats + that VQ growl, but CVT butter & truly impressive build quality and finish. Quite a sedan, one I already am won over by.

• 2 weeks later...

3 work days left...wow, those 2 weeks go fast...and not even close to being done or having transitioned a portion of what would have been ideal. That happens.

Tick tock. Vacation in only a few too. 4th of July in the OBX, a whole new experience...wonder if or how they do fireworks near Corolla, NC...hmm...along with the books I might actually get to read while sand bathing, that's the best start to the week, too.

Need to keep studying up on everything Nissan, Mazda, and so on. So much new. So great :AH-HA:

Now, about that Avalanche...

Edited by caddycruiser

No worries about an avalanche at the OBX in July... no snow there what.so.ever.:smilewide:

Never a worry. Should be running rampant with Av's down there, as usual.

Fun, fun, fun. Unless I trade it for a new Ford by weekend...heh.

Vacation. 2 more days of work. Run, run, run.

And the 4DSC Maxima is one powerful & SMOOOOOTH CVT sport sedan piece. I'm thinking of one for myself, with the great Nissan standard cloth seats + that VQ growl, but CVT butter & truly impressive build quality and finish. Quite a sedan, one I already am won over by.

The thing that would concern me with the Maxima (other than I don't like it's looks) is the CVT. Nissan has been having trouble with the CVT in it's V6 applications to the point where there is the "secret" extended warranty on the transmission.

The thing that would concern me with the Maxima (other than I don't like it's looks) is the CVT. Nissan has been having trouble with the CVT in it's V6 applications to the point where there is the "secret" extended warranty on the transmission.

A few years ago, after significant miles, a few potential issues were seen but nothing too out of the norm. Hasn't been for a while, at least nothing unlike any automatic trans geared or not, after miles and different drivers & maintenance. If you've driven some of the latest VQ/CVT combos, they're terrific, the VQ really comes alive in a unique way with them. So much power + so much smoothness & lack of shift pause is a great combination. Add in the "manual shift" sport modes, especially with paddles, and they have another unique character. I'm anxious to get more seat time with a few in different models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMcXd0E62LQ

One day left...

...so much to do, but then good stuff ahead. Stopped by the Ford store of my new place yesterday afternoon after doing paperwork, etc. to look around, go for some drives & meet people, and so far just keeps getting better. Sales is tough, but can't wait to do it.

Really enjoying the Ford lineup, Nissan, Mazda, and Hyundai lines, and it shall be interesting to work with each back to back and see what's different in regards to customers and so forth. Loving my employee discount, at least what I've seen on the Ford line, so far as well.