Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buick planning up-level LaCrosse

wildcat

A few more details have come out about Buick's LaCrosse Super, in an article by Jamie Lareau in this week's issue of Automotive News.

"Buick will get a 'super' version of the LaCrosse. That's an 'up-level edition" . . . It will include new front-end treatments, such as a waterfall grille, and a V-8 engine . . . pricing has not been set."

"Buick starts production on the Enclave crossover this fall and likely will start production on the super LaCrosse at that time . . . "

" . . . Buick expects to sell 8,000 Lucerne sedans a month this year."

Here is a link to the full story, which also includes coverage of Pontiac's entry-level G5 coupe. Click on this.

Wait, any news if the non-Super trims will get the newer grille as well? I mean, I'm just hoping the ovoid grille is gone after this year. I would imagine they would as it doesn't fit the newer style grilles.

Wait, any news if the non-Super trims will get the newer grille as well?  I mean, I'm just hoping the ovoid grille is gone after this year.  I would imagine they would as it doesn't fit the newer style grilles.

They're probly doing it like the Bonneville GXP and Grand Prix GXP did/are doing. Though, I'm not sure if the grill treatment with the Grand Prix will filter down to the lower models like the Bonneville did.

I could've sworn the current grille classifies under "waterfall" but I could be wrong.

A true waterfall grille extends up into the hood. I would consider the late '70's Cutlasses the quintessential example.

Posted Image

I've felt that the ovoid grille is like pursed lips, a big pucker. The Velite-style will bring more character.

A true waterfall grille extends up into the hood.  I would consider the late '70's Cutlasses the quintessential example.

Posted Image

I've felt that the ovoid grille is like pursed lips, a big pucker.  The Velite-style will bring more character.

Another good example would be the new Enclave grille... as shown in my signature.

A true waterfall grille extends up into the hood.  I would consider the late '70's Cutlasses the quintessential example.

Posted Image

I've felt that the ovoid grille is like pursed lips, a big pucker.  The Velite-style will bring more character.

Is that your Cutlass? Nice car. I told the Dingbat working at the Buick display at the NY auto show that car should get a V8, maybe she listened she told me she worked for Buick in MI , I would rather have that Cutlass.

Clearly this has an interior made from many existing GM parts - notice the US Lacrosse steering wheel? Yes, the interior is high class and much better than the US Lacrosse.

The exterior could use some work (like remove the hood ornament) but it is clean and the nose is better than the oval look of the current US Lacrosse.

^ What the hell. Does everyone get better looking interiors than us? I gotta say, I really, really like the interior from this Chinese Lacrosse. The exterior isn't half bad either. And the steering in that car is SICK!!! The wood wheel that goes all the way around (similar to the Escalade) is AWESOME.!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

exterior...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think the profile is nice looking. The interior's really, really nice. I think with this interior, with a revised front end on our Lacrosse (waterfall grill), and the Enclave's 3.6L 270HP HFV6 as standard equipment, and the ES really be in trouble. The only other thing it'd need is navi.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by titan

Wow... Nice! With China getting the 'LaCrosse', I'll take that as a hint to China & NA line-ups eventually consolidating into a single global product line.

I'd love for them to bring this vehicle over here as the replacement for the current LaCrosse. The front, rear, interior, side mirror turn signals, etc... all need to be here for 2007.

Thegriffon, can you get us more specs on this?

No.  This is acutally called Lacrosse, sold in China.  W-body.

I know that it's not actually Zeta based and not called Lausanne, but TCC called it that and reported it was RWD when a spy took photos of it. Here is the link:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiast...S178.A8183.html

And it definetly is this vehicle we are seeing now.

I know that it's not actually Zeta based and not called Lausanne, but TCC called it that and reported it was RWD when a spy took photos of it. Here is the link:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiast...S178.A8183.html

And it definetly is this vehicle we are seeing now.

True...they must just have been mistaken back then.

Other than the new engines, it's similar to the American LaCrosse under the skin. Limited specs available, but the new V6 produces more power than the old 3100, overall length is just under 5m, a little less than the US model. Width and height are a few mm different. Seems to have a better presence than some of the photos show. Despite the aluminum 2.4, the base model is heavier than the 3.8 L Lacrosse CX, probably due to very high equipment levels.

"There's going to be plenty of difference between the G5 and G6," said Bowsher. "There might be more people wanting to step up to a G6."

"It looks like a Cobalt," said Scott Brasher, general manager of Brasher Motor Co. in Weimar, Texas. "It's at a good price point, and it's sporty-looking."

The difference should be between the chevy and the pontiac, not the two pontiacs. Those two quotes in particular scare the $h! out of me.

Why does Buick in China get to defy little traditions like blue-lit gauges and real wood interiors, when Buick in the US gets stuck with slightly less?

Buick has a high reputation to uphold in China. They are a highly-regarded luxury brand there, are they not?

Still doesn't mean we should get the short end of the stick, though. <_<

Inside and out, that Buick is ten times better resolved than our Lacrosse. Though the W-body front hang is there, the nice wheel arches and side skirts do thier best to minimize that. The exterior more elegant than ours, even though it looks like something Holden, Toyota, and MB got together to design, it still looks like it belongs in a higher class than ours. Nothing to say about that interior other than great. This would have been a Lacrosse that would not have disappointed.

So this cant be a new LeSabre or something for US then, if it is the US LaCrosse underneath?

If the Lacrosse were sticking around, I'm sure it be pretty easy to make this version on our shores. I don't know how well it would fit with the current and future Buicks, it sure does fit with Enclave though. This as a conservative alternative to the Accord and Maxima works well for Buick. W-body production will be ending sometime within the next five years though, I guess not enough time for such an extensive redo. insiders would know more on this though

Correction, the Chinese Lacrosse would fit in beautifully with the Enclave. The Enclave interior is so wonderful, thanks for the link blackhhr.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Though I would want to take the higher end Buick sedans bolder than this, this is a definite step in the right direction for Buick design, Buick really needs this sedan here as the Lacrosse, yesterday. Hopefully the Zeta sedan or whatever is being planned for Buick are not too far off...

Edited by turbo200

Buick has a high reputation to uphold in China. They are a highly-regarded luxury brand there, are they not?

Still doesn't mean we should get the short end of the stick, though. <_<

Of course they are, but here we're trying to have the same impact. It's attention to little details like these that may make a car look a little better. I am a huge fan of the Lucerne, but I can definitely think of a few little things to change that would make a HUGE difference.

I think the Chinese LaCrosse would not be the step-forward Buick would be looking for. If Buick were to come out with that now as the new LaCrosse everybody on here would be furious. It isn't a bad looking car but it is very imitative of other brands and I think below Buick's standards for being uniquely styled.

I like parts of the interior though. I think some of that would look good in the next LaCrosse. But I want the next LaCrosse to kill this car. It's nothing very unique at all.

I think the Chinese LaCrosse would not be the step-forward Buick would be looking for. If Buick were to come out with that now as the new LaCrosse everybody on here would be furious. It isn't a bad looking car but it is very imitative of other brands and I think below Buick's standards for being uniquely styled.

I like parts of the interior though. I think some of that would look good in the next LaCrosse. But I want the next LaCrosse to kill this car. It's nothing very unique at all.

It would be a step forward from the current Lacrosse....but by 2009 timeframe if it were just being released it wouldn't be considered anything special anymore. I consider this car on the level of Aura in terms of design and execution.

WOW!

Too bad Buick seems to have a brighter future in China than in the U.S.

THAT car should've been HERE.

I just don't understand why GM and Ford (especially) produce all of these GORGEOUS, IMAGE CHANGING cars for China and Europe yet can't seem to bring that same pizazz here to SAVE those very divisions.

Sad.... The answer is, as usual, right in front of our CORPORATE noses.

I just don't understand why GM and Ford (especially) produce all of these GORGEOUS, IMAGE CHANGING cars for China and Europe yet can't seem to bring that same pizazz here to SAVE those very divisions.

Don't forget about Saturn :AH-HA_wink:

Buick is rated near the top (if the not the top) luxury brand in the country. Buick is the umm...Cadillac of China.

That car is hot, you think none of those changes make it here....lets make a bet.

WOW!

Too bad Buick seems to have a brighter future in China than in the U.S.

THAT car should've been HERE.

This is why:

Pricing at current exchange rates:

2.4 Luxury : $29,797

2.4 Elite: $33,525

3.0 Flagship: $40,980

that's crazy expensive.