Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buh-bye Seville

Okay, I'm going to be corny and unoriginal by posting the same kind of thread that Camino did a while back. Basically this is you opportunity to influence what I buy when I trade in 1997 Cadillac STS.

Before we start here's a few ground rules:

RWD is pretty much a must, that's the only thing that is not negotiable. Rear-biased AWD however is okay.

A FWD car would have to be extremely unique/original/rare to even be considered. You guys know I'm RWD obsessed, let's not get into semantics. Other than Lexus I will consider any RWD Car... and for the right price a GS might, I said MIGHT be tempting. A V8 is not a must but a pushrod V8 or inline-six would be prefered, esp. for low maintenace & ease of access.

Four doors strongly prefered.

Marcia has a very badly damaged disk in her back so the ease of getting the baby in/out of the car seat is a big part of this purchase decision. And of course in case of an accident it's much easier to get Sofia out of the car if it has four doors... I'm not paranoid, just realistic.

Sporty yet Elegant

This is her term not mine. Marcia is pretty picky and it's kind of hard to outdue a 1997 STS while not spending more than say $15000 on a used car. Granted I bought the STS for $7900 with 100K, but this time I'd like to go for less miles if possible.

So here's the breakdown so far:

Park Ave Ultra

I love these cars, it's one of only a few FWD cars I would even consider. The rear seat access is superb and the car gives a exceptionaly comfortable ride. Still very elegant and she can "impress" her clients with her luxurious, practical & economical Buick. Not a bad image for an accountant if you ask me.

The problem? She says it's way too Grandma-ish for her. This same exact argument applies to the Buick Roadmonster. <_<

Caprice Classic 9C1 or an Impala SS

This would be a win-win situation. I get a car I can work on and would be proud to own and the G/F still has all her needs met as well.

The problem? I'm having dificulty finding a clean one with relatively low mies I can finance :(

Last Gen. Fleetwood Brougham

Another future classic, a fantastic looking car and it's the best of both worlds, modern, luxuirios, safe but still old school & BOF with a great pushrod motor.

What says she? Styling is too conservative and it lacks any sporty-ness to it.

*sigh*

I'm trying to find a happy medium, a 1990s BMW 5-series... or perhaps a clean E-class Benz or if I can find a cheap Impala SS would fit the bill perfectly. You guys have any suggestions?

Edited by Sixty8panther

Should we assume some (but not complete) bias toward GM?  First thing that came to mind was a Merauder.

Or even a crown vic with a sport package, some aftermarket wheels and some duel flowmasters (or any other brand you perfer). Not to mention that when driving up behind people either they will pull over or drive very very slow..

Well the price limit of $15k rules out a Charger... What's your/her opinions on an older Audi A4? or a BMW 3/5 series?

Maybe something like this?

Recent 5 series are going to break the bank for one that's decent.

Look into 3 series sedans the used prices have been dropping lately and you could even get an Xi model (AWD).

The Impala SS is a fine choice. There is one in a local Trader rag around here with something like 87 original miles. I think they want 20k for it though.

Edit: I just checked and it has 83 miles and they want $27,900 for it. Guess that's out.

Edit: I just checked and it has 83 miles and they want $27,900 for it. Guess that's out.

See that's exactly what I'm talking about... and yet Chevy is still not making strides to repace this car... F*** that car probably cost less than $27 NEW!

We need a B-body rreplacement! Do we have to keep :deadhorse: ???

Anyway back on topic, a dealer up in Plaistow, NH had a nice clean 330xi but it was too much money and an automatic to boot. I'll settle for a autopmatic B-body because I don;t have a choice but both me and Marcia prefer sticks and so if we're buying a BMW it will not be an automatic. Call me a weirdo butbuying the Ultimate Driving Machine and lettig it decide when and how to shift is backwards. :P

Decka:

Althogh she thinks it's a bit small I think a 3-series would be a great car for Marcia. If that car was in the New England area instead of Texas I'd be seriously considerign it. (untill she'd start bitching about the ugly rims and green paint :rolleyes: )

PurdueGuy:

Absolutley... I'd love to find a GM car that would work! If the RWD STS had come out in like 2000 ther're be NO question of what to get.

Empowah's got the right idea with that 5-series I think. Mean time I'd be happy with a gently used Police Interceptor or even just a black Crown Vic but she will not go for it. Too much fo a bias against Ford. Damnit I trained her too well. ^_^

GM1:

The sedan would be perfect in the navy blue color of the wagon. She's into dark colors (thought it's not a must) and has some strange bias against any wagons except ofr the Magnum.

BTW: We're still trying to buy a house which is why a Charger is out of the equasion for now... besides the Camaro will be out soon enought and I'll be buying THAT new. :metal:

All of the suggestions I've made so far she shoots down because she has &#036;h&#33; taste in cars. Bring something home and tell her to deal with it; who wears the pants, anyways? Oh wait; I remember!

*whip crack*

:lol:

LOL @ XP

As I put on my chain-mail vest, I'll ask this: since you're thinking of a PA, would you consider one of it's G-body siblings...namely, the Aurora and the Bonneville?

At $15K there are tons of 5-series to choose from. The E34 models (89-95) are cheap used, while an E39 (97-03) would definitely "outdue" a '97 STS. Good luck with your searching.

Beat me to it. An e39 might be a little out of range...well, if it is a 540 that is. You could find a decent 528 for 15 atleast...I'd deffinitely look into an e34 5er. They are very good, solid cars. For 15 you could easily find a nice 540 in clean shape. Or then there are e36 3ers which you will be able to find very easily...hell, for 15 you could even find a 4-door M3 if that's what you want. You could possibly even find an e46 323 for 15 or less I think also. Or if you want something bigger you could look at the e38 7ers...they actually have depreciated quite a bit and you can find them real cheap. Unfortunately the main reasons why they are so cheap is because of reliability issues I believe...

I'll check around on auto trader for you...If you don't care for a bimmer, then I'd say go for a b-body SS deffinitely.

What's your zip-code 68? I'll do some checking around your area...

Edited by Nick

This seems pretty good... $14,790, 74K miles, sports pack, 5-speed manual, and 150 miles away from Boston, though it's a wagon and "only" a 2.5 liter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/525I-WAGON-...1QQcmdZViewItem

This one looks good, but it's an automatic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/528I-SPORT-...1QQcmdZViewItem

First year cars are generally less reliable, but if the price is right... '97 540i manual w/ 81K miles:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-BMW-54...1QQcmdZViewItem

Continuing with the Lincoln theme, how much does a used LS run?

Pretty cheap, which reminds me of the Catera or maybe a CTS.

Why are you selling the Seville anyway, '68?

Edit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-SPEED-200...1QQcmdZViewItem

Florida is kinda far away.... but at least we now know a CTS for $15K is possible.

Edited by empowah

These mid- & hi-line bmws and infinitis cannot be cheap to maintain/ repair!

I've heard the BMWs aren't cheap to fix. (Nick would know more about this, I'd think.)

As far as the Q goes, some first generation Qs (not the one I posted) had an electronically controlled air suspension that was costly to fix. I'm not sure if the second generation ones had them available.

That said, any used car can be reasonably reliable if treated well in the past.

There's always the gen-II Catera.  Those were very nice, especially in Catera Sport trim.  All the reliability gremlins were pretty much gone by 2000.

Agreed, final model year Cateras were actually fairly good in the reliability department. They're not speed demons, nor are they great on gas, but they are solid and handle very well.

Well, it depends on a lot of factors...How many miles does the car have, how well was it maintained, what engine is in it...the thing about BMW's is that you can almost pinpoint when something will need to be replaced. So as far as the cars being unreliable, it is more or less a situation of preventative maintenance...If you find the right places to look you can get parts for better prices than what the stealership will sell them to you. Generally the price of parts aren't that bad...what's killer is the labor rates to have stuff installed, and if you can prevent taking the car to shops and do stuff yourself then you should be pretty good. Luckily there is a wealth of information on these cars online with complete writeups and photos of procedures from guys who have been through the same things.

These cars deffinitely require a lot of attention. Some more than others. Like I said, it depends on the model, the year, the engine, and how many miles it has and how well it was maintained. Infact, sometimes it is better to go with a slightly higher mileage one (assuming all maintenance was taken care of) because then you can be sure a lot of the issues that occur in the first 70-100k will be taken care of.

I don't know the complexities of the STS, but BMW's are actually fairly straightforward to work on. Their engine bays are pretty accessible and aren't cluttered with wiring and whatnot. With the help of BimmerForums (the BMW forum i frequent) and the Bentley manual (the import/german equivalent to the chilton manuals I believe) I can pretty much tackle any task myself.

Now, I'd be lying if I said these cars were cheap...They can get pretty pricey and require significant attention depending on the situation. But they are very good cars that can, and usually do last a very long time. I just saw a 97 or so M3 with 213,000 miles on it going for 7 grand on auto trader...the thing looked immaculate and I'm sure it still runs great. I remember reading an article in a BMW mag of a guy who still had his e34 after 350,000 miles or so and that too was still in great shape. I believe he traded up for a 2001 M5 or something...

But yea, BMW's are enthusiasts cars for a good portion of owners. They tend to be well taken care of and proper atention has been given to them. In enthusiasts hands they will run for very long times. These aren't cars that just die on you or give up the ghost, they are solid cars. You've just got to do your homework before hand.

If you're interested in a BMW, I can point you in the right direction for information and people to talk to. If not, then that's cool too. BMW's are great cars, and for me, I feel the price to be paid for owning one is deffinitely outweighed by the total package and driving experience. They are deffinitely different cars..something about them, it is hard to explain...maybe it is that they have soul. BMW's are just one of your many choices out there though. I'm not trying to push you to get one...just throwin it out there for ya :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Nick

WMJ:

I've already got a red/white/red one of these in my driveway, sans light bar. XP is storing his '77 Cutty 4-dr here at my house. :P

http://i1.tinypic.com/o8dhl3.jpg

1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass:

Posted Image

Here's one more of the '77 Olds. It's 350 Rocket powered BTW.

http://i1.tinypic.com/o8dik4.jpg

And thanks for all the suggestions, after tonights conversation I think a Bonneville (low miles) would be a possibility though I dread the idea of making payments on a FWD car. That's just wrong. :P

A nicely maintained BMW would be a pleasure to work on and so it does not scare me too much thohg Balthazar does bring up a good point in terms of expense.

XP is going to kick my ass for this but that Q45 looks Scrumdelicious! I think if I find a black one for the right price it's a definate possibility. I thought for a split second today about a '02 M45 I saw on a dealer's lot.

Anyway I appreciate all the great sugestions, keep throwing out ideas.... the Town Car, Q45 and Catera are all great suggestions. :spin:

Edited by Sixty8panther

Yes, true... the T.C. is pretty old and conservative but perhaps in Black on black it might strike her fancy. Eh... whatever.

The LS is just too I wanna be a BMW when I grow up, that's me talking. She may like it but to me there's more appealing domestic sport sedans like the Catera & CTS.

Te Magnum is a serious possibility as well... I'd like to stay away fromthe 2.7 but I'd take a 2.7 liter Magnum over most FWD cars.

Jag S-type? A Lincoln LS, but prettier.

I think the S-type is super sexy but Marcia is convinced that Jag is still junk. She had some clinet who had the biggest XJ6 Lemon of all time.

Plus when I told her Ford improved the quality at Jaguar she gave me that look like Riiiight, Ford improved quality.

I know, I know, this broad is :censored: picky!

Damn you Variance... I was afraid this might happen... I'm having unpure thoughts again.

The image of that Q45 has been stuck in my head ever since you posted it. I don't want a Japanese car but I want THAT car. TO make matters worse I was hoping Marcia would shoot it down when I showed her the white one in thie thread (she's not a fan of white) and she's like "Oh, that's nice!"

Posted Image

EDIT:

Effin Tripod! <_< (thanks Variance)

Here's another one...

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Guest YellowJacket894

68, a '96 Impala SS will run about $10,000 to $12,000 with around 50k to 60k miles. (I thumbed through some local Auto Traders and that is most certainly the case.) I'd say that or the Catera would be your best bet.

68, a '96 Impala SS will run about $10,000 to $12,000 with around 50k to 60k miles. (I thumbed through some local Auto Traders and that is most certainly the case.) I'd say that or the Catera would be your best bet.

Where are you at again YJ? I'm thinking down south because here in New England the prices are much higher from what I've seen. G35 sedan & coupe is a possibility too, I love the copes styling and perhaps Marcia would deal wiht the lack of 4 doors. :ph34r:

Variance:

I've just pretty much found that out today while researching cars...

No Qs at all at the local Infiniti Dealer but look at this:

no it's not RWD, but look at the milage!!!!

Chevrolet of Lowell, the Dealer I worked at in 2002 & 2003. All of my old buddies in sales are managers now. I'm pretty much guaranted a decent deal and no bull$hit.

I can imagine this in my driveway... wish it was not refrigerator white though.

It's a base Impala but it's a 2005 for short change!

This is more like it... 3800 & black! Why no photo however!? <_<

Edited by Sixty8panther

Vehix.com Shows NOTHING for Infiniti Q45s. Not even one '97-'01.

I did however find this close by. :wub:

B-body for under $10K

Sixty8, have you tried Auto Trader.com?

Anyways, I can see you an ATV for $2800! It's super reliable and economical! :P

Or how about a Grand Am for only $500! Sure it's FWD, a coupe, and has a lemon of an engine... but atleast it has a clean interior and 5spd! Oh and it comes with lots of accessories including a key chain!!! :D

Seriously, though, I'd try for a BMW 325 sedan.

Not as cool as a GTO and a 5th-gen Camaro .

Sixty8, what's this I see you posting ads for FWD cars. Am I going to have to have your brain reprogrammed again?