Buick Regal interior impression

Was bumming with the kids today. They had a new silver Regal outside the BPG dealer by the Sonic today so I stopped in.

First off, let me state that someone must of lit a fire under the GM dealers' asses because the last couple times I have dropped by the Buick dealer I have been treated real well and the salespeople have been absolutely knowledgible (SP) about every aspect of the car. I had an exceptional experience when i bought my Cobalt by the way too. In any case, the salesperson was more than happy to open the car outside since the one that they put on the show floor that morning had already sold and had left the building.

I had previously been inside a Regal for a brief moment at another dealer a few weeks ago, but the SP started the car for me this time, fired up the A/C and the stereo and went out of his way to point out the features to me.

There is no doubt the Regal is developing a buzz for Buick unlike any other recently except perhaps the new LaCrosse. I can say first hand in terms of interiors for the money I think the Regal meets the price tag and I think meets the demographic as well.

I am sort of value conscious or tight when i buy cars so I am more harsh regarding value than a casual shopper. But I also understand that sometimes a car with a crappy interior may have other features or assets that still make it a good buy.

Since I did not drive the car, I can evaluate the car in terms of ride and drive vs. the price, but if you were merely sizing up the car and its features and the quality of its interior alone vs the price, I would say in that regard the Regal is an exceptional value as well.

When i inquired regarding a lease, the salesperson said the Regal is out of the gate with a 55% residual, which is very good. Also, the units are moving at full sticker price. Even so, the car I looked at (while only having 182 hp) had a great level of interior appeal and features that i think a buyer can feel comfortable with a purchase. The unit I looked at was silver with black interior and about a 28,400 sticker. It had a sunroof. Leather of course. I can't recall if it had the Bose, I think he said it was a Bose but I thought the upgrade for the Regal was Harmon Kardon.

It's an incredibly appealing package. This car for the moment sits at the top of my want list. More in the next post.

I agree... Oldsmoboi texted me an ad he saw for a Regal lease, and I have to say if I get the job I'm waiting for, in some time, that'll be my Century replacement. ONLY thing I'm very upset about--no remote start--not even as an option.

Let me get rid of some sidebars first.

Trunk. HUGE. usable. It does not have the struts, but the trunk opening is more like a hood / clamshell. THe opening is HUGE and the access to all parts of the trunk are great. It could stand to be taller just a bit....but for its droopy rear its a very commodious trunk. It's probably finishes the best of any GM trunk. Clearly this is NOT a north american GM car because usually with the north american products you get a crappy finish in the trunk in comparison. It really intrigues me how the wagon or hatch is finished in the back.

Smells. As a big fan of the previous gen Astra which i really made a hard effort to buy, I came to love that 'Opel smell'. The Opel cars have a different smell than the NA GM cars. The Regal has that German Opel smell, too. It should be interesting to see if the smell changes when they start making them in Canada. My fear is the interior plastic and leather will get worse when they start making them on NA soil. If you want that Opel smell, get it now.

Regarding then the leather and plastic....more on the plastic in a bit. The Leather IMO met or exceeding the criteria for the vehicle IMO. At this price point the Regal leather is much nicer than the comparatively decent fake leather in the Volkswagen CC (which i consider the primary competition). It has the dry feel and pebble grain you are used to seeing in German cars, not the shiny cheaper stuff of north american cars. Again it will be interesting to see if the leather gets cheapened once they make it on NA soil.

One thing that struck me about the quality of the car. Everything felt tight. The new LaCrosse is one of my favorite cars and assembly quality inside the LaCrosse is not bad mostly (hugely improved over a lot of GM stuff). But the Regal's interior really is built well. Nothing felt sloppy, looked misaligned, or felt loose. Particularly the center stack maze of buttons all looked like they were laser cut of one piece; the alignment of all the buttons and the feel of the knobs was amazing...and particularly for a GM car. I would take this interior over any other GM car's interior. I just want to see it in tan.

The material quality in almost all cases was more than appropriate for a car like this in this price class. The CC's interior which I liked now feels austere and cold in comparison. The Regal's interior has a very warm quality to it. The Chrome accents have a nice soft glow and depth. The polished metal on the door pulls look very nice. The piano black which is not piano glossy really did not look at all cheap and was absolutely aligned in all spots.

Is this a GM car?

REALLY?

The seats were completely comfortable and adjustable. I would want to sit in them all day!

Here is my one material beef. Whereas the upper part of the dash has a nice gloss and grain and texture....the lower dash part and some of the door plastics are just a little cheap and really could be better. My guess is Opel didn't think you would notice. Its just enough of a hint that this is a 30k car...not a 40k car.

Nice gauge faces. Radio display (I don't think it was NAV) was a bit grainy and not high rezzzz but the LaCrosse is the same way. I do like the font GM uses on the new radio displays. Scrolling through XM options with the knob was awesome, since the knob has amazing tactile feedback and detents.

Shifter and trim even look nice and feel nice.

Armrest falls to arm level nicely. I sort of don't like the one sidedness of it but I do admit its kind of sporty and fits the character of the car. Not much padding. The material feels ok though.

Not a lot of console storage and its chopped up. USB port is way back and not much room to store a hard drive. But hard drives are getting smaller.

I actually didn't examine the cupholders much.

Door hinges and opening and closing doors felt GERMAN. Need to know this isn't a North American GM car? Just look at the door seals. I'm not gonna explain it until someone else looks at them and makes a comment. Another item we'll see if the bean counters decontent it here on this side of the pond.

Driving position, visibility IMO for just sitting in it were very ideal. Cabin is intimate but not confining.

Spacewise though I could see it being the same as my old Diamante. You wish it had just a little more room in the back, especially leg room. Front cabin width feels ok and appropriate. But overall this car is not quite as big inside the cabin as a lot of the popular and lesser priced 'midsize' cars. You should decide if this is an issue. If it is, the cavernous LaCrosse will take car of your needs. No one will confuse the interiors of these two cars. They are very different and the LaCrosse is much bigger. What I hate is, I like them both! even though the LaCrosse has acres of cheap plastic. The Regal only has a small amount of marginally cheap plastic, and its located more in places that are less touchable and noticeable.

If this is a single person's car, no worries, space and comfort in the front seat are fine. The car feels intimate and sporty. Maybe the best way to compare size is to say the interior is approximately the size of the current Passat. I hope the next gen Malibu is a bigger interior than this, its troubling that the next gen BU shares its wheelbase with the Regal.

If you have rear seat passengers who want room then you can still get the LaCrosse with all its space, and it feels sporty in a different way. The LaCrosse has less visibility but the cabin feels expansive in comparison.

The glovebox in the Regal is HUGE and makes up for the small console. It almost looks like maybe there is a chill zone in there but I did not study it at length.

The interior on this car really makes the current 9-3 and old Saab 9-5 look like crap. If this is why GM dumped Saab, then I say 'bravo'. You'd really be an idiot to buy a current 9-3 after seeing the Regal. You'd probably be an idiot buying a new 9-5 too (even though it is larger, just get a LaCrosse). You'd be an idiot to be a Saab fan I think with the Opel product this handsome.

The Regal really is a classy car and its what Buick should be about. It looks lean and graceful. Not fat and sloppy like the current gen CTS. (inside and out).

The interior is indeed better in quality overall than pretty much any non premium midsizer. The Sonata of course has the swoopy design.....and a better price, but the Regal indeed does have a better impression despite the smaller size and conservative design. I want to see the Regal's interior with tan leather.

I still think the CC is the rockstar as far as looks go. But the Regal IMO looks just as good and is not as showy. The Regal's interior is easier to warm up to and is on par there. Pricing is better on the Regal. Regal turbo is coming up. TSX only other noticeable competition and really the TSX is not bad but the TSX interior is too Honda.

But a Regal. It makes a great impression. Your guests will think you spent more. I can't wait to drive one. Who NEEDS a LaCrosse? (only if you need the space).

The Enclave and LaCrosse need immediate interior upgrades to match what you get on the Regal. I hope they consider fixing the few cheap plastic spots and I hope the beancounters don't ruin it when they build it here. I can't wait to see the Astra.

Fits like a glove, if it drives nice, you can stop looking for your next car with the Regal.

• Agree 1

I agree... Oldsmoboi texted me an ad he saw for a Regal lease, and I have to say if I get the job I'm waiting for, in some time, that'll be my Century replacement. ONLY thing I'm very upset about--no remote start--not even as an option.

I have a feeling they will fix that, just might take a bit. I am not sure, does the Regal have pushbutton start? That's handy too.

Really, the LaCrosse is nice. So is the Regal. A good problem to have.

A lot of the people I have seen driving LaCrosses are older, if you want to be lumped in with that group.

What is nice about the Regal. You can park it in the company of the CC, TSX, i.e. cars like that and the car is entirely on equal footing. The LaCrosse in base trim does have a little bit of a cheap aura to it. When we get Canadian Regals with cloth seats it will be interesting to see the translation.

The two Buicks, the CC, Sonata, and the Taurus are my favorite sedans right now (not necessarily the ones I would buy)....still want to see the new Optima. But the Regal probably kicks the CC off my list. Taurus probably comes off because its huge and is a bit of a floater (although for me its got value as a family car), can't afford a SHO. The Mazda6 and Legacy and Malibu I really like too, but the Regal for just a bit more equally trimmed seems like a better investment. Still awaiting base Chrysler 300 redo but I think that will be too pricey.

If I am left to ponder the LaCrosse and Regal.....the LaCrosse gets attention, but may look like its run its course by 2015. I think the Regal will still look good several years from now. That + interior quality may be what tips the scale towards Regal for me.

I have a feeling they will fix that, just might take a bit. I am not sure, does the Regal have pushbutton start? That's handy too.

It doesn't have pushbutton start either. I'm very bummed about the remote start. That would help me out in the morning so much to be able to start the car on a cold morning so by time I get out, I can just wipe and go.

I don't know. I'm not sure how leases work (I would probably lease the Regal), but I know my trusted mechanic of 35 years (that's how long my family has been using them), throws them in for $150. I wouldn't mind adding it, but I don't know if you can modify a car without getting in trouble.

My main gripes about the Regal interior are that the steering wheel feels really awkward to hold and the interior in black doesn't have enough contrasting materials to really pop in my mind... That being said the Quality is AWESOME... I can't argue with that.

My main gripes about the Regal interior are that the steering wheel feels really awkward to hold and the interior in black doesn't have enough contrasting materials to really pop in my mind... That being said the Quality is AWESOME... I can't argue with that.

It's interesting you bring that up--if/when I get mine, it'd be majestic blue metallic and have a cashmere/cocoa interior. But Buick.com only shows the ebony interior which in my opinion (and apparently yours too), just doesn't do it. It's hard to tell the beautiful lines in the car when it's so monochromatic.

For the LaCrosse, I was annoyed that Buick.com only shows the gray interior, which is my least-liked interior color. I wish the site would offer some more interior photos of various colors (and while on that note, I wish they'd offer a unique interior color for the LaCrosse. Hell, Hyundai offers a "wine leather" interior for the Sonata.)

I don't know. I'm not sure how leases work (I would probably lease the Regal), but I know my trusted mechanic of 35 years (that's how long my family has been using them), throws them in for $150. I wouldn't mind adding it, but I don't know if you can modify a car without getting in trouble.

your GM dealer would be happy to do it, I don't see the advanced 2 way start in the brochure. I am willing to bet by the time you are shopping you will be able to get a factory add on put in as part of the lease. In that case, it would be covered and warrantied.

I kind of wish the Regal's SW was not the boiler plate new GM SW, that it was more of a true sport 3 spoke. The 'spokes' on the Regal wheel are fat and huge, almost like the old two spoke wheels from the 70's with an even fatter third spoke on the bottom.

It's interesting you bring that up--if/when I get mine, it'd be majestic blue metallic and have a cashmere/cocoa interior. But Buick.com only shows the ebony interior which in my opinion (and apparently yours too), just doesn't do it. It's hard to tell the beautiful lines in the car when it's so monochromatic.

For the LaCrosse, I was annoyed that Buick.com only shows the gray interior, which is my least-liked interior color. I wish the site would offer some more interior photos of various colors (and while on that note, I wish they'd offer a unique interior color for the LaCrosse. Hell, Hyundai offers a "wine leather" interior for the Sonata.)

I love the Regal's exterior color palette. I hope that is another thing the North American beancounters do not screw with when they start making the car here.

I want to see how soon they offer the wagon or hatch. I really could justify one even more if they did that.

Sometimes you want like 10 cars in your garage. I would have a Regal and LaCrosse for sure. A Camaro would be in there too. And like 7 other cars. 2 Buicks though, that's huge.

I love the Regal's exterior color palette. I hope that is another thing the North American beancounters do not screw with when they start making the car here.

I want to see how soon they offer the wagon or hatch. I really could justify one even more if they did that.

Sometimes you want like 10 cars in your garage. I would have a Regal and LaCrosse for sure. A Camaro would be in there too. And like 7 other cars. 2 Buicks though, that's huge.

I really hope they get rid of Midnight Blue Metallic on the LaCrosse and add the Majestic Blue Metallic. Midnight blue in person is nothing what I thought it'd look like--it's not dark at all. I was hoping it'd be very close to black, but in reality, it's lighter than navy blue.

I saw on in black in the wild two days ago and it is the first Buick since the GN that has caught my attention.

Buick should do real fine with this car. I has the looks to draw people in and at least take a look and drive it. That should be enough to help them sell plenty.

More options will hit once production moves to Canada. The remote start I would expect will be added there. Is there anything in Europe that would prevent remote start there?

Is there anything in Europe that would prevent remote start there?

Buick got back to me a week ago and said it wasn't an option at all.

I can't imagine what would prevent it in Europe. Never know what crazy laws they have. I mean, in Italy, they don't allow anything but public transportation every other Wednesday (at least they did last time I was there) so maybe they feel remote start has the car idling while not being used.

Most cars in Europe are manual transmission.

Can't do remote start with manual transmission. (starting the car requires the clutch to be depressed)

Such a low take rate in Europe, they wouldn't bother offering remote start for just the automatic transmission Insignias

Buick got back to me a week ago and said it wasn't an option at all.

I can't imagine what would prevent it in Europe. Never know what crazy laws they have. I mean, in Italy, they don't allow anything but public transportation every other Wednesday (at least they did last time I was there) so maybe they feel remote start has the car idling while not being used.

The first thing that crossed my mind was iding. The green movment is very stong in most of Europe vs here. The car companies live in fear of it over there. This is why Porsche and Ferrari are looking at Hybrids. A little for PR and a lot for survial.

I suspect in time we will see the same things here. They have already mentioned killing drive throughts so I see Remote start under attack in states like California soon.

The Goverment will be the first to attack it with their Cap and Trade related regulations.

The first thing that crossed my mind was iding. The green movment is very stong in most of Europe vs here. The car companies live in fear of it over there. This is why Porsche and Ferrari are looking at Hybrids. A little for PR and a lot for survial.

I suspect in time we will see the same things here. They have already mentioned killing drive throughts so I see Remote start under attack in states like California soon.

See, I don't understand the problem with that as you have to have your car warm up anyway... I know on the icy mornings of Long Island I can't drive until the windows are scraped and the fog has been defrosted sufficiently or I'm blinded by the sun. That has to happen with the car idling.

And as Oldsmoboi mentioned, most cars are manuals in Europe... it's very true. A lot of Italians think automatics are for "pigri" (the lazy) and they feel disconnected from the car when not shifting.

See, I don't understand the problem with that as you have to have your car warm up anyway... I know on the icy mornings of Long Island I can't drive until the windows are scraped and the fog has been defrosted sufficiently or I'm blinded by the sun. That has to happen with the car idling.

And as Oldsmoboi mentioned, most cars are manuals in Europe... it's very true. A lot of Italians think automatics are for "pigri" (the lazy) and they feel disconnected from the car when not shifting.

Our green friends don't see it that way. They do not like you sitting in line for Wendys or the bank with the engine in idle. So with that you can be sure they do not want you to warm up your car in the AM either.

They look at it like this, most new cars can get up to temp very fast and they see no reason for warm up. But then they often have a very distorted veiw of the world and real life anyway.

I am for clean air but I also am for a little common sense too. Often the tree huggers lack this gene. Our tree huggers here are very conservitive compared to over there. The are to the point they have their own politcal candidates.

They build these cars in Germany for the American market and could have added this option for the US bound cars just as easy as adding the Buick Grill. I suspect it is just due to the short time they will build them there and we will get it once they are built in Canada. Either way I expect it about the time we get the GS.

Did a quick check and in most places in Germany it is not legal to leave a car running with no one in it. Other countries have time linits on how long it can idle.

Also in parts of Germany they are now trying to get people to shut off engines at stop lights.

Yes in some areas it is that extreem.

The auto laws over there are very harsh with emissions and safety. We have safe cars here in America but look just at the pedestrian crash laws in Europe alone. They are now talking about air bags for the hood to keep from killing the guy who walks out in front of you.

Edited by hyperv6

They look at it like this, most new cars can get up to temp very fast and they see no reason for warm up. But then they often have a very distorted veiw of the world and real life anyway.

True, cars can get up to temp fast, but I will say, you had to see my dad's reaction (the most conservative man on the face of this earth--doesn't want power windows because it's another thing to break, doesn't use the auto climate control because he wants the control over it, doesn't use heated seats, who needs it, etc., etc., etc.)...

... but when we had one of our million heavy blizzards this winter and I started his car from the living room, it turned on the front and rear defrost and heated the mirrors, his jaw dropped.  He just couldn't imagine that he could get in the car and drive off.

That is something that is essential to me... I have to leave the house at 6AM to get to work... it helps bigtime if my front/rear windows and side mirrors don't need scraping... I can just scrape the sides which are loosened because the interior is now warm, and go.

I, too, have very green friends.  Ironically, the one feature he doesn't have on his Prius that he had on his Lexus that he greatly misses, is the remote start.

Also in parts of Germany they are now trying to get people to shut off engines at stop lights.

This is asinine. The biggest emissions occur at startup. It is far better to idle at a light than shut off the engine, turn it back on, and drive off. These Germans must be really, really dumb.

This is asinine. The biggest emissions occur at startup. It is far better to idle at a light than shut off the engine, turn it back on, and drive off. These Germans must be really, really dumb.

Either that or they're trying to drum up business for the companies that make starters.

Actually, if one is stopping for over ten seconds, it's better to turn off the vehicle because it will use less fuel, and emit fewer emissions.

However, it's not encouraged by our governments because it's not very practical, not everyone's car starts up immediately, and it can be pretty dangerous if someone's vehicle is immobile on the road.

Only if the Catalytic converter is cold.....

.... but it's probably just a ploy by BMW operatives in the local German city governments to sell more BMWs with automatic Start/Stop technology.

Most cars in Europe are manual transmission.

Can't do remote start with manual transmission. (starting the car requires the clutch to be depressed)

Such a low take rate in Europe, they wouldn't bother offering remote start for just the automatic transmission Insignias

one of my buddies had a remote start aftermarket on his Honda Civic with manual trans. It can be done.

GM will add remote start to the Regal next year. GM's customer base demands it and they will require it be engineered into the product. THis is ONE GM and its a world product. I would assume its a requirement. Our 'One GM' will be crap if they can't figure out something as simple and necessary as a remote start in one of their new defining products.

Of course, they decided NAV wasn't worth it for half their stuff recently so......

The Goverment will be the first to attack it with their Cap and Trade related regulations.

the folks in cold weather states will tell the jerks in CA to go f themselves and that they can pry their remote starters from their cold dead hands. Fine if CA wants to overlegislate that, but they will have to provide the dealer with the means to inactivate the system.

Edited by regfootball

Our green friends don't see it that way. They do not like you sitting in line for Wendys or the bank with the engine in idle. So with that you can be sure they do not want you to warm up your car in the AM either.

I am for clean air but I also am for a little common sense too. Often the tree huggers lack this gene. Our tree huggers here are very conservitive compared to over there. The are to the point they have their own politcal candidates.

They build these cars in Germany for the American market and could have added this option for the US bound cars just as easy as adding the Buick Grill. I suspect it is just due to the short time they will build them there and we will get it once they are built in Canada. Either way I expect it about the time we get the GS.

if they are so green in Germany then how come the regal only gets 19mpg on 182hp?......just sayin. Sonata does 15% better mpg here and get more hp......yes the diesel gets better mpg but diesels emit more........

pretty hypocritical for the Germans to pretend to be green when most of their cars are far heavier than they should be, especially for their size. and why they have pigs like the Q7, touaregs, etc.....

Edited by regfootball

starting and stopping engines probably creates more engine wear than just letting it run and idle........

Paulie, the tan interior on the Regal is beautiful.  You will not be disappointed.

I have a few pictures of it on my computer... it looks so rich and classy.  I know it's plood, but it's good plood.  And there are so many textures and colors going on--cashmere, cocoa, a satin-nickel finish for the door handles, the wood trim, etc.  It's very warm and inviting to me.  I actually care more about the interior of a car than I do the exterior.  It's why until recently I couldn't entertain ever owning a Ford/Mercury.  Lincoln barely made it on the list.  Right now my biggest beef with Ford/Mercury/Lincoln is the startup chime.  I guess it's cool to have a retro-sounding Gameboy Advance dinging when you start your $50,000 Lincoln or your $16,000 Focus.

if they are so green in Germany then how come the regal only gets 19mpg on 182hp?

If I'm not mistaking, the Regal is heavier than the Insignia because of QuietTuning and some other minor changes.  It may receive a higher city rating in Europe.

one of my buddies had a remote start aftermarket on his Honda Civic with manual trans. It can be done.

GM will add remote start to the Regal next year. GM's customer base demands it and they will require it be engineered into the product. THis is ONE GM and its a world product. I would assume its a requirement. Our 'One GM' will be crap if they can't figure out something as simple and necessary as a remote start in one of their new defining products.

Of course, they decided NAV wasn't worth it for half their stuff recently so......

the folks in cold weather states will tell the jerks in CA to go f themselves and that they can pry their remote starters from their cold dead hands. Fine if CA wants to overlegislate that, but they will have to provide the dealer with the means to inactivate the system.

Relax as GM will get it to you soon enough. THey are only importing the first year and only one model. We will get more options and more models next year. GM I think was just getting the jump on this car since Buick needed more than one car and they did what they had to do to make it come a little sooner.

The people you should aim the venom at are the progressive green people. Some are resonable but many are extreemist and will do what they can to bring changes evern some crazy ones.

Either way the Buick will get the remote soon.

Relax as GM will get it to you soon enough. THey are only importing the first year and only one model. We will get more options and more models next year. GM I think was just getting the jump on this car since Buick needed more than one car and they did what they had to do to make it come a little sooner.

My problem is, I don't want to see certain things disappear when they switch to the NA plant.  I don't want the colors to go, they're very upscale looking and complement the car well.  I don't want the quality of the materials to decrease.  I'm fairly certain I'll be getting a 2011... if for some odd reason I have to put off for a 2012 lease, I don't suddenly want to know what "could have been".

Although truth be told, I'm not too worried.  GM has been moving in the right direction and it seems each new car just gets better.

I follow CA governance pretty closely, and I believe hyper was just speculating that CA would ban remote start, they haven't initiated legislation.

Considering I have a high school diploma, and know that 12% of the U.S. population lives in California, on behalf of 1 out of every 10 Americans, I am offended by your comments.

My problem is, I don't want to see certain things disappear when they switch to the NA plant.  I don't want the colors to go, they're very upscale looking and complement the car well.  I don't want the quality of the materials to decrease.  I'm fairly certain I'll be getting a 2011... if for some odd reason I have to put off for a 2012 lease, I don't suddenly want to know what "could have been".

Although truth be told, I'm not too worried.  GM has been moving in the right direction and it seems each new car just gets better.

There is no reason to change those things here. There just was no reseason to tool up for a small amount of cars being built over a limited time when they were moving production anyway. GM has kept the cars coming in simple and will att content once they get here. Colors and material will not change.

I follow CA governance pretty closely, and I believe hyper was just speculating that CA would ban remote start, they haven't initiated legislation.

Considering I have a high school diploma, and know that 12% of the U.S. population lives in California, on behalf of 1 out of every 10 Americans, I am offended by your comments.

Yes just speculation based on the way of thinking in California and Carb.

I do know several states have looked at banning drive throughs too but no one has passed the law yet. It is just examples of the kind of thinking we are facing.

Getting a 2011 for the Opel / German smell alone is worth it. By the time they build it here that smell will change to the plasticky offgassing which is pleasant but not expensive smelling like the premium cars.....

The gist of my comment is the other 9 of 10 Americans don't want their choices driven or legislated by your state. I am more offended by CA attempting to manhandle automotive legislation at every corner with their attitude.

You have over 10% of the population, CA should build their cars there. NUMMI was the only plant i knew of in CA. If your state contributed more to the industry in terms of manufacturing as opposed to just design studios and foreign automaker offices and a couple of electric startups (which will fail) then I could see allowing more clout to drive the specs of what the rest of us 90% drive.

The gist of my comment is the other 9 of 10 Americans don't want their choices driven or legislated by your state. I am more offended by CA attempting to manhandle automotive legislation at every corner with their attitude.

You have over 10% of the population, CA should build their cars there. NUMMI was the only plant i knew of in CA. If your state contributed more to the industry in terms of manufacturing as opposed to just design studios and foreign automaker offices and a couple of electric startups (which will fail) then I could see allowing more clout to drive the specs of what the rest of us 90% drive.

Here are a few things for you to consider:

1. Legislation drives the design and safety and emissions of automobiles as much if not more than anything you stated above.

2. There are 17 states including: New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Maryland, and Florida among others who follow the legislation created by CARB in California (33% of States and likely over half of U.S. Population.

3. Californians purchase more vehicles per year than the whole country of Canada. California buys 13% of all cars sold in the United States. Automakers are forced to comply with any laws and regulations CARB may pass because we are talking about MILLIONS of vehicles a year which must comply.

4. Get ready, by the looks of things, it appears your state will soon be adopting CARB regulations if it already hasn't.

I'd say California contributes the most important aspect to the industry- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The other two percent are illegals?

I only said high school diploma, I was rounding the number. :smilewide:

I agree with the above. California is in a place where the car companies could not just tell them to take a hike like they could with a Idaho.

The industry needs the money California supplies and they know it.

I feel for the Companies right now as they have the EPA driven by the present admin on one side and CARB on the other. Too often both will not work with the indystry for answeres and just deals out goals that are not realistic with present technology.

California had the mandate for zero emissions cars a few years back and found they had to flinch at their own mandate when no one could meet them.

It would be nice it they all could work together to resolve these issues and still keep customers happy. I am affreaid what things may look like in 20 years.

I see the issues on the after market side first hand. My company has had issues with everything from fuel jugs to Gas blenders. Yes Gas Blenders.

but that's exactly what shows an even bigger hypocrisy about California as a bankrupt consumer driven state. The state can barely function, you sell all those cars and don't make any of them there. You've got a couple design studios, and the transplants have some offices, otherwise, you have a huge imbalance in terms of the auto industry. Water, cars, energy, at some point your state should consider being more self sufficient as a priority, as opposed to forcing your legislation on everyone else. At the rate CA is going, it will implode at some point and you won't have a ton of sympathy from the other 90% that you seem to discredit as not worth your time presently.

but that's exactly what shows an even bigger hypocrisy about California as a bankrupt consumer driven state. The state can barely function, you sell all those cars and don't make any of them there. You've got a couple design studios, and the transplants have some offices, otherwise, you have a huge imbalance in terms of the auto industry. Water, cars, energy, at some point your state should consider being more self sufficient as a priority, as opposed to forcing your legislation on everyone else. At the rate CA is going, it will implode at some point and you won't have a ton of sympathy from the other 90% that you seem to discredit as not worth your time presently.

California spent so much time ignoring the negative side of business that now environmental protections are non-negotiable. As a result, California is now an "anti-business" state because it won't give away the health of the environment so a chemical company can, say, set itself up in unincorporated LA County and cheaply remove its toxic DDT via the sewer system. Or a factory set itself up in Los Angeles or the San Joaquin Valley with smokestacks filling the sky with smog 24/7. Or a defense contractor setting up a nuclear test facility in Santa Susana, blowing radiated dust all over the San Fernando Valley.

Imagine that, the cost of business goes up when you have to properly dispose of your waste. It isn't California's fault that the rest of the majority of US States have alarmingly weak environmental laws.

• Agree 1

California spent so much time ignoring the negative side of business that now environmental protections are non-negotiable. As a result, California is now an "anti-business" state because it won't give away the health of the environment so a chemical company can, say, set itself up in unincorporated LA County and cheaply remove its toxic DDT via the sewer system. Or a factory set itself up in Los Angeles or the San Joaquin Valley with smokestacks filling the sky with smog 24/7. Or a defense contractor setting up a nuclear test facility in Santa Susana, blowing radiated dust all over the San Fernando Valley.

Imagine that, the cost of business goes up when you have to properly dispose of your waste. It isn't California's fault that the rest of the majority of US States have alarmingly weak environmental laws.

True many are weak but California is to the other extreme.

There is a fine balance out there and few find it. In California's case they have never tried to hear both sides and work out a good balance that would set a standard for the entire country. Until buisness and Gov learn to work together there will be a lot more brown fields and crazy laws to go around.

Either way we will in time get the remote start and I have seen the second Regal in the wild. I did not like the grill to start with but I now like it and it makes the car stand out in a good way compared to the look alike asian cars out there. God knows it is better than the Acura Metal Jack o Lantern face.

The styling is good and not Benz cartoonish like the Sonata. It is a car German car fans and Saab buyers should be attracted too.

Edited by hyperv6

the two regals i saw on the local lot the other day were comingled with LaCrosses, you had to have a keen eye to notice them as different, even from up close, while just doing a low speed driveby.

the Sonata is not cartoonish, if anything what i have noticed is its side flowing curve line is accentuated in motion, and it really sets the car apart. the only aspect of the car one can question is the front grille and i have even come to like it as its more dynamic in motion than sitting still.

that said, the sonata is not for everyone, while still having a lot of appeal to a wide group of people at the same time.

The Regal being different from the LaCrosse and not having a sweepspear in my mind is perfect and totally ok.

I just saw Edmunds first drive of the Sonata turbo. I sure hope only having 220hp on the spec sheet isn't the Regal's achilles heel......

well, sometimes if you want the revenue and jobs, a little pollution is the price. If you didn't jam your state full of residents, you'd have more open space to spread that pollution out.

you can shun those jobs if you want, but at some point all the high roller jobs go offshore too.....or to other, cheaper states, with less regs and cheaper labor....and then those housing values go even lower......and so do wages and tax collections.......

• Disagree 3

I just saw Edmunds first drive of the Sonata turbo.  I sure hope only having 220hp on the spec sheet isn't the Regal's achilles heel......

When the GS comes out, it'll remedy that.  As for the 2.0L turbo, every review of it I've read stated it's a gem.

When the GS comes out, it'll remedy that.  As for the 2.0L turbo, every review of it I've read stated it's a gem.

again its a spec sheet thing. the customer who only wants to spend 30 minutes boning up on specs before they decide which two dealerships / pihrana tanks they want to unwillingly set foot in....will quickly uncover 'Hyundai Sonata SE turbo 25,495, 274hp" and "gotta go to the GS Regal as 35k to get within 10 hp......"

both you and I know the Regal turbo non GS will be pretty nice in the engine department but the numbers it puts out vs. the price.

that's all I worry about. I know the Regal will feel more polished and on a higher level.

disappointed.jpg

um, not even sure who this individual is.

True many are weak but California is to the other extreme.

Explain. IMO California is the strongest of the weak.

There is a fine balance out there and few find it. In California's case they have never tried to hear both sides and work out a good balance that would set a standard for the entire country.

False. I have explained this numerous times in previous threads; Californians do not give a $h! about the rest of the country. Californians only care about California. Consider this for a second:

California economy and world economies

Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in $ trillion

1. United States (14.16) since California is in this list, this figure should be (12.31)

2. Japan (4.91)

3. China (4.33)

4. Germany (3.65)

5. France (2.86)

6. United Kingdom (2.68)

7. Italy (2.3)

8. California (1.85)

9. Russia (1.68)

10. Spain (1.6)

...aaaaaaaaaand this:

California economy in world terms

According to U.S. Department of Commerce estimates, California’s GDP (gross domestic product) was nearly $1.85 trillion. And that puts California as the world’s eighth largest economy in 2008.

Since the 1970s, California has ranked 7th biggest world economy, although for a couple of years in 1984 and 1985, California was the 5th largest economy in the world.

Source: EconPost

So, if the above facts don't help you understand why Californians are indifferent of the rest of the country, you'll just have to trust me on this. If California were to secede and become its own sovereign nation, not only would a lot of people think "it's about time!" but the US would go into civil war...again...because a whole hell of a lot of tax dollars come from the Golden State.

Bottom Line: California is crafting legislation to deal with its own issues as it sees fit. That's the motivation. We don't care about any other states, or really the country as a whole.

Until buisness and Gov learn to work together there will be a lot more brown fields and crazy laws to go around.

What is this "learn to work together" bull$h!? Businesses exist for the sole purpose of making money, as beholden to shareholders/Board of Directors--that's the definition of a business. The government is supposed to represent the will of the people as representative officials are elected. Since businesses are trying to MAKE MONEY and PERPETUALLY INCREASE STOCK VALUATION, that is what their priority will be. The mind-numbingly obvious relationship between the two entities will always be one of business trying to maximize profits by spending the least amount of money possible with the government creating a legal framework and needing to provide oversight to ensure the laws aren't being ignored.

Now, if you want an entity that cooperatively works with the government sometimes to provide a service, product, etc., those are generally called Not-For-Profits because...BECAUSE THEY AREN'T TRYING TO MAKE MONEY, AND AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE.