Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

My 1984 Chevrolet Celebrity (Marie), a dream car I wasn't looking for

This car was bought to teach my daughters how to drive in however . . .

Marie (named after her first and original owner) was a rare find. In 1984 Grandma Marie's (not mine) 1968 Chevy was rusting out and was in need of many repairs. She drove to the local Chevrolet Dealer with Grandpa to get a new Chevrolet only to find ones that had more luxury features than she wanted to deal with, so she ordered Marie just the way she wanted her; 4-cyl. (Iron Duke), 4 speed manual, Air Conditioning and a rear defroster. Over the next 20 years Marie was driven 259k miles without a single major part replacement, including her clutch plate, engine, starter, steering rack, etc. Her first alternator replacement was at 255k miles. About a year ago Grandma Marie, God Bless her soul, passed away. The family decided to put Marie up for sale at the beginning of September 2010. I was the the first to respond and the first to see her. I fell in love the minute I saw her and was ready to offer money without even driving it. The interior looks like it has 60k miles on it, not 260k, with not a single rip or cracked dash to be seen.

This car was bought to teach my daughters how to drive, however I have fallen so much in love with her, I now drive her to work everyday and intend on doing such for a while. My wife recently left me for a guy old enough to be her Father, but it's not all bad as I got something that I could love more than her anyways; Marie, my 1984 Celebrity.

I will post pictures when the weather is good enough for me to take them (yes, I live in Oregon and the fall rain has already started).

I thought I remembered your name from WAY back :jump: Glad to see a few post & glad your back. As for the Celebrity sounds great to me I wish the new cars could be ordered as strippers with only the options you want, after all is GM et all gonna pony up the difference?

Holy cow ... talk about a blast from the past. GREAT to see you posting again, Dsuupr!

Great news about the car ... sounds awesome! I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Sorry about your wife, though :(.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Chicagoland Meets, 2011?

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I could never get enough" ... Eddy Raven ... 'I Could Use Another You'

Hey is your instrument cluster lens dulled out? Try polishing it with toothpaste, I hear it does a good job.

That is one cool find, sir. It reminds me perfectly of the basic wagons my paternal grandfather used to buy. He had a '69 Nomad (A-body) in light blue with inline six and three on the tree. He kept it from new until '81 (it finally rusted out too much to pass state inspection), when he bought a jade green Malibu wagon, 229 V6/3 speed manual on the floor. He then had a Celebrity wagon, but it was a V6/auto, I believe. He's still driving once in a while at 93, he has a '92 Lumina Euro sedan.

I offer you mad props for selecting that cool new retro License Plate.

Yeah, that extra plate and registration cost almost $300 for a car I paid $500 for, but it was worth it for the retro look.

Hey is your instrument cluster lens dulled out? Try polishing it with toothpaste, I hear it does a good job.

Only the paint has any dulling to it. Everything else looks likes it's three to four years old at most.

Never cared for the dash design. Looks too much like giant Viewmaster.

I do get a little confused with the speedo at times, since the numbers don't line up with the lines. I figure if I get pulled over, I'll just use that as the excuse for speeding.

wow! that IS a rare find! Something worth holding onto!

My youngest daughter wants to keep it forever, even stating that it will be the perfect second car when she becomes a doctor. She is 12now, so that means it must last at least 16 more years.

nice.

i just recently saw an olds version... it had Grrr from invader zim painted on it. lol

if the ass end gets f'd up ever, convert it into an elcamino-ish car. ...it's been done, i've seen one. sorry Camino. ;)