Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

It's here...

I really wouldn't mind the Pontiac alphanumerics if the models also had a name. That way, if alphanumerics are your thing, you will think of G5. If you're more of a name type of person, you will think of Pursuit.

Mazda used to do this, and I really liked that too...

626 Chronos

929 Serenia

MX-6 Mystere

MX-3 Precidia

MX-5 Miata

etc...

But if you look at the trunk, the placement is really wierd. Especially on GT models. It'll look like:

PONTIAC G5                 o                   PURSUIT GT
Looks as if a ricer tried to put JDM badges on and forgot to shave the original ones. Edited by ToniCipriani

I really wouldn't mind the Pontiac alphanumerics if the models also had a name. That way, if alphanumerics are your thing, you will think of G5. If you're more of a name type of person, you will think of Pursuit.

Mazda used to do this, and I really liked that too...

626 Chronos

929 Serenia

MX-6 Mystere

MX-3 Precidia

MX-5 Miata

etc...

It's not new for Pontiac either. Remember when the J2000 became the 2000 which became the 2000 Sunbird?

He means the exposed trunk keyhole looks cheap...many cars and SUVs today don't have one...i.e. you open the trunk with the remote.

Pretty much all of the Pursuit's competitors have an exposed trunk keyhole... Corolla, Mazda3, and even the newly released Honda Civic.

Pretty much all of the Pursuit's competitors have an exposed trunk keyhole... Corolla, Mazda3, and even the newly released Honda Civic.

But it's not placed right in the middle. The Pursuit's is rather obvious, not to mention ugly.

Edited by empowah

I never thought I'd say this but this rebadge job is worse than the early to mid 1990s Cavalier/Sunbird. :blink:

Horrible, the grill looks like an iron-on patch and the plain jane tail lights are just... blah.

But it's not placed right in the middle. The Pursuit's is rather obvious, not to mention ugly.

I was commenting on Moltar's point. The "location" wasn't being debated. It was the fact that it even existed. Several mainstream/high volume vehicles still have one. And no, I'm not irritated by your comment or the_yellow_dart's. I have to agree. If they're going to have one, I wish they would go back concealing the keyhole under the emblem. :)

A solution could be what Volvo does. It has a electronic button concealed near the license plate frame (in this case it can be under the decklid), and an emergency keyhole hidden away with a cover. It locks along with the door locks.

Since the remote trunk release is already electronic, I don't see why this can't be done. An electronic button should be cheaper than a mechanical key cylinder anyways.

Edited by ToniCipriani

A solution could be what Volvo does. It has a electronic button concealed near the license plate frame (in this case it can be under the decklid), and an emergency keyhole hidden away with a cover. It locks along with the door locks.

Since the remote trunk release is already electronic, I don't see why this can't be done. An electronic button should be cheaper than a mechanical key cylinder anyways.

They can't win, I distinctly remember a whole group of people complaining another model did not have a keyed lock for the trunk.

Yes, it was the Monte, I believe. "How can GM be so cheap?" was the complaint.

Posted Image

For the record, I have the exact same keyhole in the exact same location, only it's underneath a bowtie instead of an arrowhead. I don't mind its presence one bit. In case my remote dies (and I'm dumb enough to ignore the DIC warning me to change the battery, which I am), it's nice to know I still can get into both the car and the trunk.

... but you still can get into the Cobalt trunk with a dead remote. Just open the door, open the little storage panel and press the yellow trunk release button.

p.s. GM hides their trunk releases in the wierdest places. It's inside a small storage hatch on the Cobalt, its near the bottom of the door on the CTS, and you hold the door switch to "unlock" for 2 seconds on the GP.

haha yellowart thats completely true... ion my monte its hidden on the bottom of the dash... i can only imagine how shady i look when i reach underneath the dash to open my trunk... haha

They can't win, I distinctly remember a whole group of people complaining another model did not have a keyed lock for the trunk.

Yeah, people find something to complain about with anything....my Jeep doesn't have a keyed lock for the hatch, simply unlock the doors with the remote and pull on the handle to open it....even easier with a trunk; the remote pops it open (I've noticed this on several rental cars, incl. GMs).

I think I've only used the key to open the driver's door twice in almost 6 years, both were times when the battery in the remote died.

Using a key to open the trunk or doors seems so old-fashioned...

Edited by moltar

Well you have to understand, those rags and people are just picking bones out of an egg. I confess that I sometimes do that, especially to my Cavalier. No matter what you do you will still get complaints.

That's life.

And back to the badges, I saw one up close yesterday at the dealership. To my horror, that thing's not even a chrome badge. It's some flat vinyl sticker that look exactly like a dealer badge.

They officially lost their mind... stupid marketers...

a keyhole...people are complaining about a keyhole... DO YOU GUYS EVER LISTEN TO YOURSELVES?! lol seriously. I think it's better that it's in the middle right below the badge than placed in some random location. Would you rather it not have a keyhole at all so if you need to unlock it while back there you can't? Didn't think so. :P