G6 Hatchback?

A while ago, wasn't it mentioned that the Maxx is departing?

Can Pontiac fetch it instead? Not an "extended sedan", but just a version of the G6 Sedan that has slightly longer roofline, and a trunk that opens with the rear windshield, and slightly adjustable rear seats?

It'll compete directly with the Mazda 6 Hatch.

And while we're at it, Chevy will get a Malibu Wagon instead.

Edited by ToniCipriani

with Torrent AND Vibe to choose from, what's the compelling reason for G6 hatch given that americans aren't big hatch fans.

Mazda has the 3 Sport, 6 Sport AND the CX-7.

From what I see here, the 3 Sport and 6 Sport all sell better than their sedan counterparts.

The coupe I think would translate very nicely into a hatch. It already has the fastback roof/trunkline going for it. It wouldn't look that much different, and you would gain some utility.

No way. I see at least 10 sedans for every one Mazda6 hatch and probably 8 hatches for every wagon.

You Canucks are weirdos.

the mazda6 hatch is clever. its sexy looking (looks like a sleek sedan, not a hatch), has 95% the utility of the wagon version and has loads of space and a fold down open cargo area.

too bad the motor and interior sucks.

• 1 month later...

I would love to see the 2 door coupe have a hatchback version.

A hatchback is not only more useful for many peopel than a trunk, but it gives a car a further 'sporty' appearance in many cases.

I do beleieve the 'fall of the hatchbacks" in the late 90's and through the early 2000's was due to the increase in popularity of SUV's (which are also hatchbacks). Now with the Sales of SUV's stagnating due to the gas price situation....I think modern, updated versions of cars like the Toyota Celica (with it's 36 mph highway), Acura RSX, Camaro/Firebird, and cars like that would have better sales now then before.

Offer me a G6 GTP in a 2 door hatchback and I would certainly consider it.

• 4 weeks later...

If anything, Pontiac should get some sort of genuine hot hatch over any wagon.

And what's with the silly, and sarcastic bickering regarding Canada/U.S.?

A while ago, wasn't it mentioned that the Maxx is departing?

Can Pontiac fetch it instead? Not an "extended sedan", but just a version of the G6 Sedan that has slightly longer roofline, and a trunk that opens with the rear windshield, and slightly adjustable rear seats?

It'll compete directly with the Mazda 6 Hatch.

And while we're at it, Chevy will get a Malibu Wagon instead.

All G6 models share the same extended floor and underbody structure as the Maxx

with a 112" wheelbase...The RR doors on the sedan don't have cutouts for the RR

wheels...The space is already there. Great idea anyway- just 5 years late.