More rumours about the G6

Again, at the G6 Forum, I heard from someone that a G6 GXP is coming. It has a HFV6 3.6L churning 270hp. Also heard is that the LX9 will depart, replaced by LZ4 from the Impala.

If this is true, here's my guess:

Base 4-cyl -> ECOTEC 2.4L

Base 6-cyl -> 3.5L LZ4 (essentially former GT, base V6 gone completely)

GT -> 3.9L LZ9 (Former GTP. GT is an overlap with the base right now anyways)

GXP -> 3.6L LY7

Edited by ToniCipriani

Well, its a start: here's my ideal G6 trim and engine lineup.

SE (current Base)-2.8-liter DOHC High Feature 210hp V-6 engine or optional 3.2-liter DOHC HF 235hp V-6, 5-speed OD manual or 5-speed OD electronic automatic transmissions.

SJ (current GT)-3.6-liter DOHC HF 250hp V-6 , same transmissions.

GT (current GTP)-3.6-liter DOHC HF RAM AIR 270hp V-6, 6-speed OD manual or optional TAPShift II 6-speed OD electronic automatic.

GTP (proposed GXP)-3.6-liter DOHC HF supercharged 300hp V-6.

It's what the G6 needed in the 1st place to be truley competitive (short of an interior redo).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only thing it needs is an interior redo. That's straight from Lutz himself, not from me!!!

He's wanted a new one for more than a year. Why does it take GMNA so long to get things addressed?

The only thing it needs is an interior redo.  That's straight from Lutz himself, not from me!!!

He's wanted a new one for more than a year. Why does it take GMNA so long to get things addressed?

cost of new interior after a few years is how much? I don't think an interior update is going to drive sales enough to justify the spend.

Aura will (if done right) capture those potential lost sales plus take some from the Camcord crowd - something G6 has a harder time doing.

Aura will (if done right) capture those potential lost sales plus take some from the Camcord crowd - something G6 has a harder time doing.

The G6 is selling pretty well, I see more and more every day (still wouldn't buy one myself) and they dont seem to be getting the same high school girl/sororiwhore/Avis crowd the Grand Am got, so where are the sales coming from.

Well, that's certainly an improvement, though it's arguable whether or not three V-6s are necessary. The GT should get the HF 3.6.

I agree. Three V6s is one to many. I think having the 2.4L as the base, with a 3.9L 250HP for the GT and the 3.6L HFV6 @ 270-275HP for the GXP would suffice.