Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Solstice still putting the hurt on Miata MX5

I was wondering how the Miata is doing compared to the Solstice. I know the Solstice was selling better but I wonder if it is still true. I have only seen 1 new Miata on the road while I have seen a lot more Solstice. The Mazda dealer in our area is advertising a discount of $2,996 on a new Miata. Ouch, that hurts for a new car...

Edited by prinzSD

A guy at work just got his triple-black Solstice. He's had a deposit for over a year. The Miata has nothing on it in the looks department. I'm gonna see if I can schmooze him into giving me a ride in it.

Well, I have seen only 1 new Miata in the city where I live and the Solstice has been selling (for us) like what I have seen elsewhere, we can't keep them in stock. Although, we have been able to buy them from other dealers as a dealer transaction. We still make money off of them when we sell them, but apperently the car is not as hot for the dealers that we get them from. I still think that this car is going to be the roadster in this class to lust over. The Miata looked good...........in the 90's! This goes to show how these Japanese companies are starting to get the mentality of owning the automobile world. They don't have to pay attention to design because their customers will just show up and buy their cars because of their nameplates.....................

Well, I have seen only 1 new Miata in the city where I live and the Solstice has been selling (for us) like what I have seen elsewhere, we can't keep them in stock. Although, we have been able to buy them from other dealers as a dealer transaction. We still make money off of them when we sell them, but apperently the car is not as hot for the dealers that we get them from. I still think that this car is going to be the roadster in this class to lust over. The Miata looked good...........in the 90's! This goes to show how these Japanese companies are starting to get the mentality of owning the automobile world. They don't have to pay attention to design because their customers will just show up and buy their cars because of their nameplates.....................

Both sold about 2,000 last month, IIRC. The Miata was up about 100% over last years sales. I'm pretty sure that both are selling just fine!

Both sold about 2,000 last month, IIRC. The Miata was up about 100% over last years sales. I'm pretty sure that both are selling just fine!

But isn't that because there weren't much to start with in the first place for the first months? Ramping up production??

My opinion is that it isn't fair to compare the sales of the cars until a bit later, when both starts to mature and sales numbers stabilize.

Comparing sales trends with one of them still ramping sounds a bit wierd.

Edited by ToniCipriani

Still no Solsi to be seen sitting in Northern NJ Dealerships. The biggest in my area gets 2 every 2 weeks. If they sit a week, they sell them at full retail and then they're gone instantly. Looks like I'll have to wait another year. : (

I live in the import econobox capital of the world and have only seen one Solstice on the road and that was this past week. I don't think I've seen a new Miata either but to be honest I'm not sure if I could tell the difference between an old one and the new one. A Pontiac dealer a pass going to work has had the same blue Solstice in the showwroom for about two months, I guess nobody wanted to buy a vert when the snow was falling.

But isn't that because there weren't much to start with in the first place for the first months? Ramping up production??

My opinion is that it isn't fair to compare the sales of the cars until a bit later, when both starts to mature and sales numbers stabilize.

Comparing sales trends with one of them still ramping sounds a bit wierd.

It's only going to be realistic to compare the sales after a year or two, I think.