Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

How Much Do We Know...

NOS2006

How much do we know about the 2012 Cruze and Sonic, and when will we find out any information? I'd like to see specs on the Sonic (I'd actually like to drive one, but I don't know when the SOP is) as well as changes to the Cruze. I think I'm going to end up replacing my car at the end of this year and, as much as I'd like a new Mustang, I will most likely have to settle for a less expensive car that is better on gas. These are my options.

It sure would be nice if the Cruze LS got cruise control as at least an option, if not standard.

x1

The Spark, from all appearances, is a piece of garbage better left to the Third World. I hope we never slide that far.

Bruce Springsteen said you can't have a fire without a Spark, hence,.....the Chevy Spark.

I think the Spark will be a big hit in many areas throughout the country where bigger isn't always considered better. It won't be perfect for everyone, but I'm sure there is enough city dwellers that love to own cars that size. Once you add in the $10,000 to $13,000 price tag, which will attract the young and retired, I'm sure it will do just fine.

The Sonic, I believe, will continue to be the smallest car Americans will semi-embrace. Chevrolet has done a lot to ensure that, it is a decent puddle jumper with turbo. Look at Smrt sales... in the toilet with caca after the initial yahoos rushed to it.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The Sonic, I believe, will continue to be the smallest car Americans will semi-embrace. Chevrolet has done a lot to ensure that, it is a decent puddle jumper with turbo. Look at Smrt sales... in the toilet with caca after the initial yahoos rushed to it.

Personally, I'd wait to see how popular it becomes in West Hollywood before deeming it to be a hit or not.

Though I haven't seen a Spark in person, I'd say it looks to be significantly bigger than the Smrt. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Spark, but if they can bring it in at an MSRP near the Smrt and offer more space I think it may catch on. Consider the sheeple that, when gas prices go through the roof again (oil went over $100 a barrel today), immediately sell their paid-for car and pay over sticker for a small car that gets great MPGs. Last go-around GM had the Aveo and the G3. When it happens again they'll have Sonic, Spark, Cruze Eco/Diesel, Verano, Volt, and potentially the Granite.

I wouldn't expect GM to get car lovers, especially American car company lovers, to like such a vehicle. The Spark is for the non-car person who just looks for basic transportation and one who likes to give an image of being "green".

Smart sales are low because the product isn't that good, plus it only seats 2. Don't get me wrong, the Spark will not be a runaway success, but when gas hits $4 to $5 per gallon, it will sell well enough to justify Chevrolet offering it.

For the record; If I lived in an urban setting, I would consider a vehicle the size of the Spark for convenience and cost (it is perfect for a city like Portland).