Cool Regal

ocnblu

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x8qjN-o5kzs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh look, it's a Buick Regal with only TWO doors! And check that hood bulge, snazzy paint job, t-tops and plush interior. Buick was on the money in those days. How izzat possible? I hope that's not cheese they're "cutting loose".

• 5 months later...

Now that is a classy looking car! Those days are fondly remembered by me as that was my childhood growing up. Cars were so cool back then even though they really didn't have much in the way of performance at the time. Still for what these cars lacked in outright acceleration they more than made up in style, interior comfort, color and ambiance and the sheer interesting factor of not knowing which engine or options a car had until one closely inspected it. These cars could be ordered most any way one wanted with most options free standing unlike today.

The Regal was one of the better looking cars back then. But what I remember is before the water cooled housings the turbo would be gone by 35,000 miles. The tranny more than not would fail. The engine was rough as it had no balance shafts. The doors on this car would start to sag and the windows would rattle etc.

Times were always better and the grass was always greener when you look back. So I remember the good but when it comes to cars I also temper it with the whole story and try to keep it in perspective. Even today we have some of the best and worst things that will be looked back on in great memeory and somwe distain by many.

@ Hyper...Yeah...I keep thinking a Grand National would be cool to own...and then I remember a few of the things you just mentioned.

Chris

The Grand Nationals for the most were where they started to get it right. Adding an intercooler and water cooled housing solved many of the issues with burned up turbo bearings. Now the early T Types are the ones to avoid if you can still find one with a turbo in place.

Also the GN's tended to be better cared for vs a normal Regal. People for the most took better care do they had many of the small issues delt with vs running it into the ground.

I think of the early cars like the Monte Carlo Turbo and Lesabre T Type. When was the last time you saw one of these let alone with the original intake set up?

I would LOVE to own a clean, rust free 1984 - 1987 Buick Regal Coupe.

I don't need a G.N., not even asking for a T-type or T-tops, just a nice

solid decent used car that happens to be a G-body Regal Coupe with

either the V8 or not too shabby "231" V6.

The problem is, in our "post cash for clunkers" world cars like that are

very few & far in between.

This is a local, semi-decent example of a local Regal for sale, it's not

exactly "solid" either, plenty of crust & rust and the price is $2000 FIRM.

5767181398_cc90bf4890_o.jpg

5766632887_56a0c06520_o.jpg