Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Fisker Karma first drive reviews

pow

None of the interiors posted above, apart from the one in the STS, are particularly bad. They're just different. An S-Class will never have a swoopy, stylized interior because its target audience and function is business. An Aston designer, on the other hand, can take more risks. Rolls and Bentley are confined by tradition, though the Roller does have a more contemporary interpretation of tradition. Porsche, like Mercedes, is business-like, but with lots of sport thrown in. The Fisker doesn't look "manufactured" because it's a simple, low-volume coachbuilt car without the Porsche's standardized cutlines and complex injection molded panels. All of them are fantastic; it's just a matter of preference.

• Agree 2

None of the interiors posted above, apart from the one in the STS, are particularly bad. They're just different. An S-Class will never have a swoopy, stylized interior because its target audience and function is business. An Aston designer, on the other hand, can take more risks. Rolls and Bentley are confined by tradition, though the Roller does have a more contemporary interpretation of tradition. Porsche, like Mercedes, is business-like, but with lots of sport thrown in. The Fisker doesn't look "manufactured" because it's a simple, low-volume coachbuilt car without the Porsche's standardized cutlines and complex injection molded panels. All of them are fantastic; it's just a matter of preference.

Exactly. I find it pretty hard to swallow when an individual takes great pains to distinguish between interior quality among the $100k class, yet absolutely gushes about Chrysler's finally-adequate interiors in another thread.

All of these cars are quite competitive with each other, interior-wise.

The difference between the real cars and the Fisker is... the Fisker interior looks like upholstered plywood boxes. Like a kit car, or an old Starcraft cabin cruiser. You can certainly tell from a good distance that it is made of parts from somewhere else. For example, look at the glaringly gray push-in retainers on the A-pillar trim. Those are GM... and Fisker didn't even take the time to make them match. THIS is on par with other $100k vehicles? :neenerneener:

Edited by ocnblu

Exactly. I find it pretty hard to swallow when an individual takes great pains to distinguish between interior quality among the $100k class, yet absolutely gushes about Chrysler's finally-adequate interiors in another thread.

All of these cars are quite competitive with each other, interior-wise.

Adequete? In most of their refreshed models they at least exceed many of the market leaders. The Avenger may not be there yet, but in upper trims the 200 certainly is. What SUV has a vastly better interior than the Jeep Grand Cherokee or the Dodge Durango?

I'll gush over the 300c again. It could very well end up in my driveway... and you know how I felt about the last one.

• Agree 1

For example, look at the glaringly gray push-in retainers on the A-pillar trim. Those are GM... and Fisker didn't even take the time to make them match. THIS is on par with other $100k vehicles? :neenerneener:

Those are significantly larger than any retainer I've ever seen, more like a speaker.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I don't see anything bad at all with this interior. I find it quite attractive, and I bet that if Olds had not pointed out those steering wheel buttons were GM, nobody would have been the wiser. Plus, you guys have to remember that a good chunk of this 100K price is for the powertrain. I'm sure Fisker could have splurged a lot more on the interior if they used a conventional engine.

What would you rather have? A slightly jazzier door panel? Or one of the most high-tech powertrains ever?

• Agree 2

Adequete? In most of their refreshed models they at least exceed many of the market leaders. The Avenger may not be there yet, but in upper trims the 200 certainly is. What SUV has a vastly better interior than the Jeep Grand Cherokee or the Dodge Durango?

I'll gush over the 300c again. It could very well end up in my driveway... and you know how I felt about the last one.

Yes, adequate. I am not a fan at all of the matte, metallic-look plastic, and all of the Chrysler interiors have a lot of it.

The 200 is a huge improvement over the Sebring, but it is still an "adequate" interior for its class. I do like the artful center stack, but I find the plastic metallic-look trim on the steering wheel, around the instrument cluster, and around the console shifter to be a bit much, especially since I think it clashes with the much more tasteful chrome interior accents. I also find it completely unacceptable that the dash and forward door panels are only available in charcoal--that's just cheap. Now, Chrysler improved the hell out of the interior compared to the nasty Sebring...but I don't think it's class-leading, and it certainly doesn't blow every interior in its class out of the water.

Truth is, there aren't too many SUVs left these days, and I agree that there isn't anything I can think of that is vastly better, however I can think of several that are on par--and that means "adequate" because none of them IMO are above-and-beyond the rest of the competition.

I don't see anything bad at all with this interior. I find it quite attractive, and I bet that if Olds had not pointed out those steering wheel buttons were GM, nobody would have been the wiser.

No, I quite like it, except potentially that one design element I referenced earlier. I'm just not creaming myself over it either--because it doesn't warrant that. And I don't have any problem with GM switchgear on principle--GM's ergonomics are generally above-average, and I don't find recent switchgear to be sub-par in tactile feel.

Even crossovers. Jeep can play in the Lexus class now with the GC.

We can all find nit picks over a lot of vehicles, even in the cars we really like there are things to annoy us. To be fair to Chrysler, a LOT of manufacturers do the dash in just one color with some other color insert. That includes Honda.. includes Lexus...

but that's another thread.

No, I quite like it, except potentially that one design element I referenced earlier. I'm just not creaming myself over it either--because it doesn't warrant that. And I don't have any problem with GM switchgear on principle--GM's ergonomics are generally above-average, and I don't find recent switchgear to be sub-par in tactile feel.

Those cruise control switches are the best I've used in years.

One can pick at every one of the above interiors, and audis continue to be way overrated.

I just want to throw this comment in... The A8 interior is not overrated in the least. I've sat in it and it easily bests its competitors in design, content, quality, and materials.

With that said, I love the Fisker's unique, highly detailed cabin. It's terrific without being overwrought.

• Agree 1

blackviper8891 ~ >>"I just want to throw this comment in... The A8 interior is not overrated in the least. I've sat in it and it easily bests its competitors in design, content, quality, and materials."<<

Being as objective as possible, I simply do not see anything from a design aspect that would justify superlatives. So 'easily' doesn't wash, IMO. But to each, his own.

The difference between the real cars and the Fisker is... the Fisker interior looks like upholstered plywood boxes. Like a kit car, or an old Starcraft cabin cruiser. You can certainly tell from a good distance that it is made of parts from somewhere else. For example, look at the glaringly gray push-in retainers on the A-pillar trim. Those are GM... and Fisker didn't even take the time to make them match. THIS is on par with other $100k vehicles? :neenerneener:

right, they just wrapped generic stuff in nice materials. cheap bar stools have plywood bottoms with padded suede wrapped cushions too.

they didn't design a theme, they just filled space.

Pictures doesn't do it any justice. There are so many fine detail touches abound that put it into a league above.

they have crappy pics just like GM always had. it's a disease.

Even crossovers. Jeep can play in the Lexus class now with the GC.

We can all find nit picks over a lot of vehicles, even in the cars we really like there are things to annoy us. To be fair to Chrysler, a LOT of manufacturers do the dash in just one color with some other color insert. That includes Honda.. includes Lexus...

but that's another thread.

Those cruise control switches are the best I've used in years.

even when those CC switches are turned 90 degrees? I suppose if you have the steering wheel turned 90 degrees then they come into a natural position.

Edited by regfootball
  • Disagree 2

blackviper8891 ~ >>"I just want to throw this comment in... The A8 interior is not overrated in the least. I've sat in it and it easily bests its competitors in design, content, quality, and materials."<<

Being as objective as possible, I simply do not see anything from a design aspect that would justify superlatives. So 'easily' doesn't wash, IMO. But to each, his own.

Agreed. The A8 is nicely-executed, but it isn't mind-blowingly amazing. It's like they filled in all of the bubbles, but did so perfectly and without any stray marks. It's just a rather sterile, straightforward design.

even when those CC switches are turned 90 degrees? I suppose if you have the steering wheel turned 90 degrees then they come into a natural position.

It looks like it's just a flick of the thumb to nudge the speed up or down 1 mph

Looking at these interiors, only the Fisker, the Jaguar, and the Porsche look compelling enough to get me to consider spending $50,000 more than a n STS.

From a visual design perspective, none of them are much more imaginative than the first RWD STS.

cadillac_sts_interior_ebestcars.jpg

yeah, your second sentence is correct. But they camouflage it to the non-discriminating by using nicer materials and hosing the attention of your eye with the two tone seat weirdness.

• Disagree 1

Agreed. The A8 is nicely-executed, but it isn't mind-blowingly amazing. It's like they filled in all of the bubbles, but did so perfectly and without any stray marks. It's just a rather sterile, straightforward design.

the A8 has had a strange interior the last couple generations. Hard to see who would want one. A strange, dull mishmash.

• Disagree 2

The Fister (nasty name, ugh) website is not helpful in its description of the sound system. I still don't see a grille on that gray toomuh, but I have seen many cars with big A-pillar retainers just like that, especially with head curtain airbags. Please link me to something that explains the gray toomuh and I will shut up, as always when I am wrong. Even if it is a twitter speakuh, it still looks out of place. It should match.

• Disagree 1

Ehh... are you sure? It's still too far away for my eyes. I do notice in that picture the nice big gap at the top of the left side A-pillar trim where it meets the headliner, and the different gaps side-to-side in the rear-facing black interior photo in that post at the sail panel trim, at the bottom. Boutique, kit-car workmanship.

Edited by ocnblu

So the brown interior shot facing the dash head-on is a rendering? Why in the world is it not a perfect representation then? Those gray toomuhs do nothing to elevate the Fister beyond boutique car status. It is a sign of cobbling together. And maybe the car with brown interior has the base sound system and the black interior depicts the optional system. The splattered gray matter in the brown shot looks different than the same area in the black shot.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Disagree 2

:palm:

It is a speaker...

But saying it isn't somehow diminishes the overall product.

So the brown interior shot facing the dash head-on is a rendering? Why in the world is it not a perfect representation then? Those gray toomuhs do nothing to elevate the Fister beyond boutique car status. It is a sign of cobbling together. And maybe the car with brown interior has the base sound system and the black interior depicts the optional system. The splattered gray matter in the brown shot looks different than the same area in the black shot.

We get it, you don't like the car. Now that you've been proven wrong on the speaker, now the problem is the renderings. Or is it the name "Fisker" now? Because your typing "Fister" is about as immature and puerile as razoredge always typing "Saturine" for "Saturn." And maybe the brown rendering has a base system instead of an upgrade--nobody knows, and nobody cares because either way, it isn't the, gasp, A-pillar retainer clips that had you feeling faint and clutching your smelling salts to your nose.

You don't have to like the car. You can hate it for no reason whatsoever. But at this point you've made your distaste of it extremely clear, and now you're just arguing for the sake of it, and it gets old.

Edited by Croc
  • Agree 4

One thing I've realized is in profile and from the front, it has a very '4dr Corvette' quality to it, in the proportions and fender curves...pretty sweet. One I haven't got a feel for is the size--length, width, height...haven't seen any dimensions posted yet.

One thing I've realized is in profile and from the front, it has a very '4dr Corvette' quality to it, in the proportions and fender curves...pretty sweet. One I haven't got a feel for is the size--length, width, height...haven't seen any dimensions posted yet.

Length 195.67 in (4,970 mm)

Width 78.11 in (1,984 mm)

Height 51.57 in (1,310 mm)

Long, low & wide, baby.

Length 195.67 in

Width 78.11 in

Height 51.57 in

Height is nice & low, width is great, length isn't quite what I call 'long', but it's getting there. Good dimensions. :metal:

This is a big reason why I like it. Wide, low and relatively long. Probably as long as one can expect in this era.

I'm a little disappointed by the VAST console... that is eating up a lot of space... I hope the seats are not as narrow as they look. Guess I'll have to check it out at the NY auto show.

I hope they don't shorten the convertible/coupe too much...

chicago-fiskers-large.jpg