Replacement For Dodge Caliber To Debut At Detroit Auto Show

Replacement For Dodge Caliber To Debut At Detroit Auto Show

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

June 16, 2011

post-10485-0-23022500-1308267624.png

If there is one vehicle that Chrysler would like people to forget that doesn't start with the letter S would be the Dodge Caliber. The replacement for Neon was unloved by the public due to its poor quality and cheap materials.

Back in 2009, Chrysler held a 10-Hour press conference talking about what will happen within the next few years. One of the slides showed Dodge's lineup for the next few years and in that slide was a note about a new compact car due out in 2012.

According to Wards Auto this week, the new compact Dodge has been confirmed to be shown at the Detroit Auto Show next year. Expect the car to be based on Fiat's C-Evo platform with larger dimensions for the US.

Source: Autoblog

The C-evo is the platform of the Giulietta...a restyled Giulietta in hatch and sedan form could do well for a compact Dodge, I think...I really like the overall design of the Giulietta, it's well proportioned for a FWD compact, doesn't have the trendy ugly A-pillar windows that are so rampant these days on small FWD models..

The C-evo is the platform of the Giulietta...a restyled Giulietta in hatch and sedan form could do well for a compact Dodge, I think...I really like the overall design of the Giulietta, it's well proportioned for a FWD compact, doesn't have the trendy ugly A-pillar windows that are so rampant these days on small FWD models..

Good start.....

• 2 months later...

My wife wanted a brand new Caliber when they came out, so we went and looked and took one for a test drive.

The tranny is one thing- constant velocity or something, it doesn't shift but constantly changes rpms.... like a snowmobile...

Works ok if you give the car more gas than you think you should, but it felt very odd to me.

I didn't like the car because I don't like a "cheap feeling economy car" type car. We got in, and upon closing the doors I was already starting to make up my mind. Felt like a pizza delivery car! No weight to the doors, no solid interior cabin type feel, it felt like an (*gasps*) import compact car!!

Not being a lover of small economy cars, and figuring we were going to keep what we bought for a few years, I insisted my wife test drive Magnums.

We LOVE our Magnum R/T, had it for 4+ years.

:AH-HA:

No regrets whatsoever!!!

Edited by CMG

I'm anxious to see the replacement for the Caliber. The Caliber was a poorly executed hatchback on steroids segment buster that unfortunately resonated with hardly anyone. Dodge really needed a well executed and competitive compact car to replace the Neon; it didn't get that at all in the Caliber. I'm hoping that Fiat makes sure that Dodge gets what it needs in this segment, Daimler AG singlehandedly failed to deliver with this product.

• 2 weeks later...

There must be some good incentives on Calibers right now. I swear I must've seen 20 of them in the last couple days... at one point I followed not 1, nor 2, but 3 in quick succession on the way home. It was bizarre.

:D