Thinking About Saying Goodbye

z28luvr01

to my Cobalt. For those of you that don't know (probably most of you), I was in a pretty bad accident with it in mid-July. To make a very long story really short, my left side and front bumper took most of the damage. My door and fender got shredded and the side airbag deployed. Everyone involved was unharmed.

After some minor quibbling with GEICO, I got it repaired with all GM parts, and the total for the damage came to almost $6700. The car looks, feels, and drives just like it did before the accident, but *I* feel differently when I drive it, even after a month and a half of having it back. I'm sure some of you think it's weird to get even the least bit emotional over a Cobalt, but 1) It was my first car purchase ever (both the Colt and the Blazer were given to me) and 2) It's been a damn good car, and I've gotten nothing but compliments on it in the six plus years I've had it. It carried the torch for Chevy better than the auto rags would have you believe. I've even had a guy tell me at a gas station tell me he wished he'd gotten the Cobalt instead of the Corolla he was filling up.

So that's where I sit. I'm leaning towards unloading it and putting the proceeds towards something else. Haven't decided what that will be yet, except that I'd like to avoid a monthly car payment if I can help it.

*sigh*

I hear it a lot in my business. There is a huge, real mental block that comes up after an accident regarding the repaired vehicle. I certainly don't blame you as I think it's normal. Good luck finding a suitable replacement.

• Agree 1

I still have mine. I still love it, but I long for a new car myself; particularly, a Camaro, though that's probably just a whim. Thing is, my Cobalt's a trusty little puddlejumper, and--call me a packrat--I don't want to get rid of it.

(...and as a plus, it can still whip those d-bags in riced-out Civics and 2G Eclipses.)

Edited by Turbojett

In honesty, I have more attachment to my Cavalier than my Cobalt, which is down to "beater" status now (granted, a well cared for one). Just could never get excited about it I guess..so I can't help you there.

It's been a good little "puddlejumper" as well......should stick around for a while.

Sounds like it's time for a new onre...

Want a new car then go get it ...... Balts are better cars then people would like you to believe. The CRUZE is a nice car maybe a nicer car then the balt. The CRUZE is on my wifes short list for a new ride, yet not on my list at all because of the lack of power to weight. I might find myself happy with the turbo Sonic to drive to and from work. Either way my ION and Solstice stay.

how much longer can you hold out?

I'm debating whether or not to unload the car now, or wait until spring, which would give me all of next summer to find something. I'm not too keen on using the truck as a DD in the winter.

how much longer can you hold out?

I'm debating whether or not to unload the car now, or wait until spring, which would give me all of next summer to find something. I'm not too keen on using the truck as a DD in the winter.

I'd wait then. Is it paid off?

I still have mine. I still love it, but I long for a new car myself; particularly, a Camaro, though that's probably just a whim. Thing is, my Cobalt's a trusty little puddlejumper, and--call me a packrat--I don't want to get rid of it.

(...and as a plus, it can still whip those d-bags in riced-out Civics and 2G Eclipses.)

I know your lying here...a 2g E-Clipse would have to run long enough to actually race your Cobalt to get bested by it...

I know...you took the E brakes off and let the cars coast down the driveway, and the chevy still won because a wheel bearing locked up on the E-Clipse....okay...if you want to call that racing...

But isn't the motor supposed to be ON if you are actually "motor" racing?

Camaro LT/RS.

Cruze manual.

And I like the way you think here...

Want a new car then go get it ...... Balts are better cars then people would like you to believe. The CRUZE is a nice car maybe a nicer car then the balt. The CRUZE is on my wifes short list for a new ride, yet not on my list at all because of the lack of power to weight. I might find myself happy with the turbo Sonic to drive to and from work. Either way my ION and Solstice stay.

Solstice stays...HELL YES!

And Cruze is on our short list for next car (MINI, Fiesta, VWW TDI are others on the list...)

Edited by 66Stang

I know your lying here...a 2g E-Clipse would have to run long enough to actually race your Cobalt to get bested by it...

I know...you took the E brakes off and let the cars coast down the driveway, and the chevy still won because a wheel bearing locked up on the E-Clipse....okay...if you want to call that racing...

But isn't the motor supposed to be ON if you are actually "motor" racing?

:lol: