Just a bad wire

One detail to add: I lean so strongly toward a blocked cat being the problem in part because the fouled plugs were all to the rear of the engine closest to the exhaust (cat).

#s 5,7, and 8 were fouled.

Anyway, I'll try the MAP sensor swap tomorrow, and buy new plugs if anyone is open.

Swapped-out the MAP: no change.

Noticed two burnt plug wires (they are new) on cyls. #6 & #8 : stole two from Mothertruck.

Sure looked like the cat, so I unbolted the intermediate pipe planning to ream-out the cat, but decided to take a look inside first.

It's completely empty - nothing at all inside.

Bolted it back together and unhooked the O2 sensor. : no change

swapped in different plugs: no change

tried a new ground location for the sensor ground wires: no change

Tried burping the baby in case I had an air pocket creating a hot spot: no change

The only thing left that I can think of is the pickup coil/magnet in the distributor.

Or a worn out gear at the bottom of the distributor.

There really isn't much else left to look at.

So I guess that I'll swap the one from Mothertruck in and check it out.

Not a course of action I'd prefer, but I don'r see any other options right now.

When running the spray pattern should look like a clear umbrella with no dripping or voids

That pretty much describes the way it looks, although seeing it isn't easy. I feel confident that the fuel system has been eliminated as a culprit.

I may get to swapping the distributor later today - but I'm going to do the "for sale" pics of the '38 Dodge first.

Here are some pics that actually look like an engine:

post-394-0-49247500-1320899102.jpg

post-394-0-34611700-1320899130.jpg

An observation... Did the rear-most ports on the heads stay sealed/covered by the intake plenum gaskets? Would that matter? In case the pictures in the quoted text don't show up, I'm referring to the 5th and 6th photos in this post.

Here are some pics that actually look like an engine: ... post-394-0-49247500-1320899102.jpg post-394-0-34611700-1320899130.jpg ...
An observation... Did the rear-most ports on the heads stay sealed/covered by the intake plenum gaskets? Would that matter? In case the pictures in the quoted text don't show up, I'm referring to the 5th and 6th photos in this post.

Those are coolant ports, and are designed to be that way. I did a double-take when I first saw them too, but they are correct.

Edited by Camino LS6

VICTORY!

The Tahoe is back!

Runs like a new truck now.

So, the funny part is that I had already fixed it and didn't know it. We found that there is a TON of resistance in the pickup coil in the original distributor, so swapping it with the one from Mothertruck should have solved the problem immediately.

It didn't only because after running the plug wires for the umpteenth time I transposed the #5 and #7 plug wires somehow when I put the other distributor in.

The resultant miss mimicked the earlier condition exactly.

I feel stupid and vindicated all at the same time.

Now all I have to do is some odds and ends under the hood of the Tahoe and replace the pickup coil so I can put a functional distributor back into Mothertruck.

Oh, and finally clean-up the garage!

Camino is a happy man tonight!

• Agree 2

How's that for irony, given the thread title?

Congratulations, Camino. I'm glad this story had a happy ending.

Thanks guys.

To say I'm relieved would be an understatement.

Tomorrow I'll swap the insurance back and give the wagon a rest.

I'm going to get another new set of plug wires and tidy things up underhood, tighten and re-check everything that might need it, and make an appointment for inspection.

I might even wash it on the next warm day. :)

Camino I'm so happy for you and many a Pro mechanic has made that mistake so your in good company(including me). Enjoy the truck and don't sell it's time to recoup your efforts!

Just catching up from hunting :AH-HA:

Edited by 67impss

Thanks guys.

And yeah, I felt like an ass getting those wires crossed - I guess the law of averages caught up with me, I must have had them on and off about 30 times.

Got new wires and some looms for them yesterday, the pickup coil for the other distributor should be in today.

It's good to be driving the Tahoe again.

Edited by Camino LS6
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Well, things are never easy.

Remember that hollowed-out cat?

The Tahoe failed emissions because of it. So I had to bite the bullet and buy a new Y pipe/converter and now have to lie on the cold concrete to replace the perfectly functional Y pipe on there now.

Expensive and annoying.

Damned emissions crap!

• Agree 1

You thought you were going to pass emissions with a hollowed out cat? ..... in PA?...

Sorry, Camino, I'm having a good laugh at your expense on this logic, as well. ;-)

Good to hear that you're pretty much all fixed up again and the Taho is running great.

Edited by SAmadei

You thought you were going to pass emissions with a hollowed out cat? ..... in PA?...

Sorry, Camino, I'm having a good laugh at your expense on this logic, as well. ;-)

Good to hear that you're pretty much all fixed up again and the Taho is running great.

Meh, I had nothing to lose by making the attempt - still irritates me that I had to replace a perfectly good Y pipe and O2 sensor.

My only concern now is a recurring Check engine light that didn't clear when I disconnected the battery. Hopefully it is an old code set earlier in this process that just needs to be cleared.

I dug into the Tahoe's distributor today ( I'm running the one from Mothertruck), and I'm surprised this thing worked at all. As suspected, the pickup coil is toast. Unfortunately, the reluctor is bad too - it is rusted and cracked. Also, it was all I could do to get the thing apart as it was severely gummed-up. The pickup coil had an obvious meltdown and the insulation on both leads is cracked. I'll be ordering a new reluctor and giving the whole thing a good cleaning so that I can get Mothertruck up and running again.

I may post a few pics later.