GM Truck News: Chevy could ditch Colorado name in U.S.

Blake Noble

GM Truck News: Chevy could ditch Colorado name in U.S.

by black-knight, C&G Editor/Reporter

20th November, 2011

post-8523-0-16656700-1321775588.jpg

If you're a fan of small pickup trucks, then you may already know that GM has confirmed the current Colorado pickup will be replaced with a brand new, world-wide model for 2013. However, it seems that, although the truck will be known as the Colorado in the global market at large, the truck may assume a new identity in the United States.

At least, that's what Wards Auto is reporting.

In an article Wards published on the 17th, here's what they had to say: "The new pickup is known as the Colorado overseas, but the name may not carry over to the U.S., even though the truck it replaces here shares the same moniker."

Such news is interesting to say the least and somewhat understandable. While the current Colorado may be a fairly handsome, if not aging, pickup truck on the outside, it's been plagued by a chintzy interior and, after you pile on some creature comforts and a V8 engine, an ill-proportioned price tag. If the current Colorado's flaws could equal negative baggage it could also hinder sales of the new model when it gets here.

Additionally, Wards managed to have some one-on-one time with GM North American Vice President Mark Reuss at the Los Angeles Auto Show. During the course of their conversation, Reuss said that low-frills and inexpensive operating costs over a 10 year period would be key focus points for the new truck in America instead of offering a lifestyle vehicle as Toyota has with the Tacoma. Reuss said, "[Toyota] did well with a very light-duty truck that was more sport, accessory, and lifestyle oriented, which is fine. There’s still a great market for that, but I don’t think that’s the end-all as we look at the operating costs, fuel and regulatory environment."

To read more of what Reuss had to say about the upcoming Colorado to Wards Auto (including the possibility of a GMC version) click here.

Edited by black-knight

Perhaps it is time for the Cheyenne name to come back, as I don't see a letter-number combination returning, with Silverado being such a strong nameplate, it would not make sense for the smaller truck to be an S-10 or any such.

I like what I'm hearing so far. A regular cab 4X4 with diesel and 6 speed manual, power windows/locks/mirrors/keyless entry, CD player, G80 rear end, aluminum wheels and meaty all-terrain tires is what I aspire to.

Don't want or need any electrification in the powertrain, no sir. And it must be priced affordably.

• Agree 1

The photos of the production interior look fine to me, and it is no Cadillac. It's not swoopy, it's trucky looking *gasp*. And plastic cladding costs money, I don't see any on the Thai truck in the photo.

Edited by ocnblu

Scottsdale & Cheyenne could be used as Tahoe & Durango are out of the picture but maybe Tahoe will be used on the Trail Blazer SUV truck if the GMT 900 Tahoe is put to pasture :2cents:

I know that some here follow the naming rights and patent filings maybe they have info :AH-HA:

Reuss doesn’t discount a GMC version, but it would have to be quite different from the Chevy.

“It would go after a different market segment (and have) way-different skin, a different duty-cycle, different price points, different variants,” he says.

The GMC version could be a more direct competitor to the lifestyle-oriented Tacoma, he adds.

So, those that "know" Reuss, is he basically telling us what the GMC Canyon-replacement will be like??? :smilewide:

Just leave the damn name alone. If the new Colorado is actually that much better than the current one, the name will gain a positive connotation on its own.

They could at least be consistent with their own previous decisions. If they're willing to give this truck a different name here than everywhere else....then change the Cruze back to Cobalt.

• Agree 1

You know, I agree with you. Renaming a product brings with it a whole set of uncertainties. Marketing has to start from ground zero to introduce the new product to consumers. Building on a name that's already known and improving on it can only serve to bolster goodwill from customers.

Sadly, news reports are stating that the Cruze is losing market share as the Asian brands ramp back up to full production, hence the plant shutdown. I hate the idea that GM can only sell a compact car when there is no alternative.

Reuss doesn’t discount a GMC version, but it would have to be quite different from the Chevy.

“It would go after a different market segment (and have) way-different skin, a different duty-cycle, different price points, different variants,” he says.

The GMC version could be a more direct competitor to the lifestyle-oriented Tacoma, he adds.

So, those that "know" Reuss, is he basically telling us what the GMC Canyon-replacement will be like??? :smilewide:

Let me take a stab at this. I think he is telling us it is going to be different. LOL! I was expecting it to be more upscale and offer things that the Chevy won't. I expect changes along the lines of the Cruze vs Verano.

As for name Colorado has as much equity as Aveo. I think S10 would be fine asstill know more S10 fans vs Colorado. If the truck is good it really does not matter what you call it but with the old name that makes many think cheap it is just one more issue to deal with.

• Disagree 2

• 4 weeks later...

Chevrolet Teton

GMC Boulder

Chevrolet Bozeman

GMC Marble

Chevrolet Montana

Ehhh... I still like Cheyenne or Colorado. Canyon is not a bad name, either, imo.

I really like "Sonoma", I think it fits in better with Yukon, Savana, Sierra, Terrain and Acadia. Much better than "Canyon" does. It would be an upscale name for a truck that is hopefully more upscale than the current model.

I agree with you on Cheyenne for the new truck. It fits in well with Silverado, Tahoe, and Suburban, and it is heritage-based in the Chevy Truck history line (even though it was a trim name and not a model name).

I agree with you on Cheyenne for the new truck. It fits in well with Silverado, Tahoe, and Suburban, and it is heritage-based in the Chevy Truck history line (even though it was a trim name and not a model name).

The same is true for the Silverado nameplate. It actually wasn't the official name of the full-sized Chevy trucks until the either the 2003 MCE or the GMT-900 trucks came out (I can't remember which, but I know 1999 - 2002 models were still officially C/K1500s).

Chevrolet Teton

GMC Boulder

Chevrolet Bozeman

GMC Marble

Chevrolet Montana

Ehhh... I still like Cheyenne or Colorado. Canyon is not a bad name, either, imo.

I really like "Sonoma", I think it fits in better with Yukon, Savana, Sierra, Terrain and Acadia. Much better than "Canyon" does. It would be an upscale name for a truck that is hopefully more upscale than the current model.

I thought the loss of the Sonoma name was a big mistake. To name sister trucks you are trying to convince peopre they are different and then you give them both name that start with a C. These are the kind of white collar people GM could eliminate.

I always thought GMC should do a 1ton with a Chuck Norris edition. "You should own a GMC because Chuck Norris said you should."