Next GMC Acadia to debut at Chicago Auto Show (UPDATE)

It was reported a couple of days ago over at autoblog that the next GMC Acadia is to debut at the upcoming Chicago Auto Show; however, they have now posted an update to the article that states the Acadia is to receive a mid-cycle enhancement (MCE) only:

The Chicago Auto Show has always sort of been known as a truck show, and because of that, many new pickups, SUVs and crossovers tend to debut in the Windy City. That in mind, it comes as no surprise to learn that General Motors plans to debut an all-new version of the GMC Acadia in Chicago next month. The Acadia, which launched in 2006 as a 2007 model, is indeed due for an overhaul, with its only major update being the addition of a Denali model (pictured) in 2011.

If you recall, the Acadia was the first of the Lambda crossovers to go on sale, alongside the now-departed Saturn Outlook. When asked about the possibility of a new Chevrolet Traverse or Buick Enclave making an appearance in Chicago, GMC Communications Manager Joe LaMuraglia stated that it "will be a GMC show," leading us to believe that we'll have to wait until New York or even Los Angeles to see the rest of the Lambda portfolio.

No specific details about the new Acadia were revealed at this time, nor was there any hint as to whether we'll see just the standard CUV or whether it will be joined by a Denali version. Stay tuned for the full details next month.

UPDATE: A source confirmed to Autoblog that GMC will debut a mid-cycle update of the Acadia at the Chicago Auto Show next month, not an all-new design. Expect an updated interior design and exterior tweaks.

I kind of think it's a little late for a MCE at this point... the Acadia has been available for 6 years now (on sale in 2006 as a 2007 model), and if a new version is coming for 2013, is it really a good idea to spend that kind of money for a one year deal? Of course the bad news could be that the current Acadia (and Enclave) stick around with this MCE for another couple of years.

Your thoughts?

Source: autoblog

Edited by GMTruckGuy74
Add source

http://blogs.cars.co...-auto-show.html

We don't know much about it, but expect a new GMC Acadia to arrive at the 2012 Chicago Auto Show in early February, according to GMC spokesman Joe LaMuraglia. When we pressed LaMuraglia to divulge more, all he said was that it "is more than a new trim level." Two years back, GMC unveiled a luxurious

Denali trim

of the Acadia at the Detroit auto show.

I don't see why there needs to be any radical design changes to this vehicle. I think with a refresh, it should be good for another 5 years.

I'm guessing some Terrain/Granite cues might find their way onto the Acadia. While it's disappointing that it won't be all-new, the Acadia has aged very well and it's still my favorite Lambda. I've been casually trying to put my sister into one to replace her Avalanche - it's killing her in gas.

The interior needs a full gutting.

When I test drove the Terrain, I took an Acadia out too. While I liked the 3.6 and the size (plus with the extra deals it was in the price range) the interior was a deal breaker. It still has what I call GM 1.5 interior - better than GM 1.0 early 2000s, but no where close to GM 2.0 like the Terrain/LaCrosse has.

Even if the outside isn't all that much different, if the interior gets the GM 2.0 upgrade, it will be well worth it.

I would like to see them keep the size but do a ATS like weight reduction to the vehicle. This thing is just flat heavy and could gain a lot with the loss of a little weight.

I would like to see a more modern Granite like nose and headlights on this. The Terrains grill to me looks cheap and when you open the hood it feel like the cheap plastic it is.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Disagree 1

The Acadia is the eldest of the Lambdas. It needs a radical MCE, if not a totally new model. GM needs to look at the NEW Ford Explorer and crib their best ideas off that vehicle, including a much improved interior and less weight.

Really? The Explorer is ugly. I hope they take nothing from it.

• Agree 3

I expect at some point they will make it look more like a SUV/truck again. Right now it has a strong SUV /Minivan look to it. It is one of the few that really pulls it off well but I suspect they may move more a truck or rugged look to it. They have done this with the Terrain.

I think it was mentioned a year ago or so that the MCE of the Acadia would bring about some Terrain styling cues. I'm wondering if the Acadia loses it's body in the process? Since it shared the body structure with the Outlook, it was the most expensive Lambda offered (whereas the Buick and Chevrolet share the body structure). Of course if this is a 2-3 year life extender, GM may allow it to continue on with its current shell (which would be a better base for a boxier/truckier restyling).

I will admit that while I like the Acadia, the Saturn Outlook was my favorite. It had a truckier-looking front end styling, whereas I thought the Acadia's was too soft (feminine). I've also never liked the Pep Boys bling-bling tail lamps too. If these two areas are addressed, along with a new/updated interior, it may catch my interests after all.

• Agree 1

I think it was mentioned a year ago or so that the MCE of the Acadia would bring about some Terrain styling cues. I'm wondering if the Acadia loses it's body in the process? Since it shared the body structure with the Outlook, it was the most expensive Lambda offered (whereas the Buick and Chevrolet share the body structure). Of course if this is a 2-3 year life extender, GM may allow it to continue on with its current shell (which would be a better base for a boxier/truckier restyling).

I will admit that while I like the Acadia, the Saturn Outlook was my favorite. It had a truckier-looking front end styling, whereas I thought the Acadia's was too soft (feminine). I've also never liked the Pep Boys bling-bling tail lamps too. If these two areas are addressed, along with a new/updated interior, it may catch my interests after all.

I think you have nailed it's fate with this one. I even expect the changes to the body of the Buick to be more than mild. These things are old in todays market terms. While they may not replace the platform I am sure the bodies will see major changes. The loss of the Saturn will bring the GMC close to the others.

Edited by hyperv6

The Acadia is the eldest of the Lambdas. It needs a radical MCE, if not a totally new model. GM needs to look at the NEW Ford Explorer and crib their best ideas off that vehicle, including a much improved interior and less weight.

Really? The Explorer is ugly. I hope they take nothing from it.

I said BEST Ideas. Certainly NOT the Explorer's looks: its interior would be an upgrade over the current Acadia's. Less weight and an improved interior is what this CUV needs now. No need to reject ideas just because they come from elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

If you have not seen this vehicle yet wait till you do to pass judgment. This was one great looking upgrade in looks. I loved the old one and they did imporve this one even it is some Saturn parts.

The new nose works much better than the old Arcadia and even the Terrain.

To me this was the shocker of the GM line up.

I'm glad to read your comments, hyperV6. Of the originla Lambda releases, the Outlook was my favorite of the three (eventually four, then three again). I really, really wanted to like the GMC Acadia the most, but the rounded features (feminine) of the front end styling just prevented me. Many times while looking at '07-'11 Acadias I tried to make myself like the whole package, but the front end and taillights just turned me off. The 2013 MCE has had me do a 180 though... I can't wait to see it next month at the NYIAS. I've even contemplated buying the media kit off of eBay lately :P

I never had an issue with the old one and the Relay looked great but I hated the grille.

The new face of GMC really works well here and looks even better than the Terrain. It has a more modern look without looking odd. It is like they took the best of the Arcadia and Relay and put them together with the improved face.

We will be looking at a Nox and Terrain soon. I really wish the Terrain face was more like the Arcadia. I expect will show up on it at a later date but we would like to buy a new car now. I already have a buyer for the GTP. It is nice to keep a car in good condition as I often have people wanting them before I even get the new car.

We still could bail on a Regal but the wife wants something that hauls larger items. It is her car so we will get what she wants. I have warmed to the Terrain. My wife also agrees the 19 inch wheels look better so it will be an easy sell to her for me. LOL!

We are looking at a fully loaded one less only the Video screens and AWD. We really have no need for the AWD as the wife has good skills in the snow and we would rather have the extra MPG.

Edited by hyperv6

I never had an issue with the old one and the Relay looked great but I hated the grille.

The new face of GMC really works well here and looks even better than the Terrain. It has a more modern look without looking odd. It is like they took the best of the Arcadia andRelay and put them together with the improved face.

I'm sure you mean Acadia and Outlook, right ?

The new face of GMC really works well here and looks even better than the Terrain. It has a more modern look without looking odd. It is like they took the best of the Arcadia andRelay and put them together with the improved face.

I'm sure you mean Acadia and Outlook, right ?

Sorry for the slip. I was never a big Saturn fan till near the end.