Photography Thread

The second image is actually the much stronger image. There's more peak action and the first photo has a very distracting guy in the foreground.

The crop on #2 is too loose though.

At the minimum, you want something more like this:

crop1.jpg

In reality, you would probably get a lot of photo editors telling you your image is right here:

crop2.jpg

• Agree 1

Back to photography, would you care to apply your critical eye to this, CD?

http://www.cheersand...826#entry692826

I think I would've wanted to see what the scene looked like 4-5 mins later. It looks "early" in the sunset and the colors tend to get more intense as the sun goes down. Then again, if the sun is just peeking through one tiny opening in a cloud layer as it sets, you might only get one brief look.

Crop-wise, I think you want to be about here. Maybe even a little more off the top.

sunset_crop.jpg

One of the reasons why I love photography is everyday situations and objects that you wouldn't give a second thought about in day to day life become frozen in time and remarkable. The ball frozen in the air, the expression of the players, a droplet of water on a leaf, rust on metal.

It was actually quite late in the sunset that day, the light was sooo strange!

Thanks for the cropping advice!

Yea, sometimes mother nature just throws some weird light at ya.

Thanks for the input Chris!

My initial favourite was neither of the two. But my editor likes the first, whereas my instinct was a cropped version of number 2. I'll probably be butting heads with her all day today over this. :P

Hmm, she sounds like a copy editor... :P

One of the reasons why I love photography is everyday situations and objects that you wouldn't give a second thought about in day to day life become frozen in time and remarkable. The ball frozen in the air, the expression of the players, a droplet of water on a leaf, rust on metal.

Yea still photography just does a better job of catching the moment.

I think this is still the best sunset I've ever seen.

I'd hiked up a mountain and was sitting on a peak at about 12,600ft when this unfolded before me. I don't know if calling it a religious experience is the right way to put it, but, it was certainly a "wow" moment.

11 minutes passed between the first shot and the last shot. I have a 20x30 print of the last frame.

(Edit: Hmm, the files don't look as good now that they are hosted than they did a minute ago on my computer. :P )

cdoane_sunset_01.jpg

cdoane_sunset_02.jpg

cdoane_sunset_03.jpg

cdoane_sunset_04.jpg

For the longest time, I was having problems with overexposure on my digital camera, resulting in shots like these:

SteamTractor.jpg

1960PlymouthFury.jpg

1973PlymouthFuryIII.jpg

1965MercuryCommuterWagon.jpg

1970ChevroletChevelle.jpg

Since my taste in cameras in like my taste in everything else (appalling cheap meets comically outdated), there aren't any polarizing filters for my camera. I decided to see what happened when I held my sunglasses in front of the camera and the results are much improved. Not even close to professional level, but better than before:

1977FordLTDII.jpg

1967DodgeD100.jpg

1963ChevroletC20.jpg

1956GMC-1.jpg

1948Mercury.jpg

1949PlymouthDeluxe.jpg

Not sure what I could have done with this day glow orange Ford, however:

OrangeCustom.jpg

well it's good to see that some people still have their eyes intact after seeing that orange Ford.

I wonder if anyone's tried to land a plane on it.

have to say i never thought of holding sunglasses in front of the camera lense though. were they just polarized? I can't imagine the lenses were super dark.

Edited by Turbojett

I have been out many times and realized I had forgotten to take my polarized filter for my lens and have resorted to using my polarized sun glasses to caputure images. Over all not perfect, but for most people's eye, it is darn good looking.

Any tips on taking night shots? I know it's typically better to take a shot around dusk, but what if circumstances prove otherwise? I don't want to wind up with a shot like this again.

midnight-express-1.jpg

Anyway, here are some shots I had on my old iPhone 3GS. I thought they came out well considering the 3GS had a VGA camera.

Richland Balsam Mountain, Milepost 431, Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina:

3a30c2cd.jpg

A badly edited version:

7f4a9959.jpg

Just a morning sky shot at home:

a1d40544.jpg

And another badly edited version:

9a7f821f.jpg

No, seriously play around a little more with the F-stop/aperture setting and find a good balance of clarity, brightness and contrast. It takes a little experimentation. also at night the shutter speed can slow down a wee bit.

if it's a cellphone camera though, i dunno.

Edited by Turbojett

For cell phone camera's and your basic idiot proof pocket camera it is very hard but in some of the higher end pocket camera's and with all DSLR's you would want to use a tripod to stablize the camera and with DSLR use a remote switch, but this is the place to use a F8 to F15 stop and go for much longer exposure times so that you fill in the dark areas to gather the details. If you have the ability to use external light source or more than one flash you can do fill in to highlight the rest of the vehicle.

One thing to keep in mind is at night, use reflective surfaces to bounce light onto the auto so that you get better detail. Your flash will always be the hotspot so you need additional light sources to fill in the rest of the overall image.

Time Exposures are a great way to get details in the dark, but they require a tripod to help out with the time exposure.

Have fun,

• Agree 1

Photoshop. /trollololololol

Wanna know a secret? That's the result I got after screwing around with the original image in Photoshop. :P

It was taken with a Canon PowerShot A470 7.1 megapixel point-n-shoot. It's sad I managed to get better results in the other pics I posted with a $h!ty VGA camera mounted in the back of an iPhone.

Edited by black-knight

+1

Agree!

• 2 weeks later...

+1

Agree!

I totally agree with this, the best thing about photography is the time line you have. It is amazing to come back to the same spot year after year and take a picture and see the changes when you compare year after year photo. You can do this with sound, but does not seem to me to convey the same big impression as a photo.

I have often thought it would be cool to capture a picture every 3 months so you can see a even better detailed change of the area.

Edited by dfelt

The second image is actually the much stronger image. There's more peak action and the first photo has a very distracting guy in the foreground.

In reality, you would probably get a lot of photo editors telling you your image is right here:

crop2.jpg

Thanks for the advice. It's what got published, and your advice got me 95% on the related assignment! :P

• 5 months later...

So I'm aiming to get a review of the bike up in a week or so. I've taken a few photos, and I'm aiming for an urban/light-industrial motif.

IMGP8261+-+Copy.JPG

IMGP8251+-+Copy.png

IMGP8240+-+Copy.JPG

IMGP8243+-+Copy.png

I've fooled with the curves, and whatnot. But I'm not familiar with photographing vehicles/motorcycles, as I am of people. I intend to do a pretty professional job so it can be added as a PDF for my portfolio.

So... Critiques and comments on these would be very much appreciated!

Edited by Pervez Musharrfap

• 4 weeks later...

Me too!

Look at you, with your fancy borders and up-close detail shots :P

Mine were taken at the Philadelphia Zoo on Saturday. We came out of the Lion's area and I looked up and thought that with the sun shining through made the leaves look "on fire" or lit up. I wanted to capture that look versus the detail like yours (which are great, btw). The last one is a tree in my backyard that I've been meaning to photograph - looked better about a week or so ago. I'm going to try it again, this time in the morning sunlight (different angle).

Thanks dfelt! Fall is by far my favorite season (if we got more snow maybe winter would be my fav). I love the cold, crisp mornings, the warm afternoons, and the cooler evenings. Thsi year we're being treated to a nice fall season in NJ, the too-cold and the too-hot (aka Indian summer) have not been as prevailant as in the past.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice Tree, Winter has finally set in for Seattle. We are in our normal mid 40's temp with drizzle/rain here and snow on the passes. Not long before ski season starts.

post-12-0-13270300-1352919136_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-63576900-1352919252_thumb.jpg

Ah, snow! It's beauty shows in how everything is covered in a blanket of white. Then comes the Northeastern drivers to ruin the beauty! :P

Thanks for the "winter" pictures. Every year I wish for a white Christmas, makes that holiday extra special (and not to mention my birthday, which is two days beforehand).

Ah, snow! It's beauty shows in how everything is covered in a blanket of white. Then comes the Northeastern drivers to ruin the beauty! :P

Thanks for the "winter" pictures. Every year I wish for a white Christmas, makes that holiday extra special (and not to mention my birthday, which is two days beforehand).

Gotta love double days of Presents! :P

Me too!

Look at you, with your fancy borders and up-close detail shots :P

Mine were taken at the Philadelphia Zoo on Saturday. We came out of the Lion's area and I looked up and thought that with the sun shining through made the leaves look "on fire" or lit up. I wanted to capture that look versus the detail like yours (which are great, btw). The last one is a tree in my backyard that I've been meaning to photograph - looked better about a week or so ago. I'm going to try it again, this time in the morning sunlight (different angle).

Thanks dfelt! Fall is by far my favorite season (if we got more snow maybe winter would be my fav). I love the cold, crisp mornings, the warm afternoons, and the cooler evenings. Thsi year we're being treated to a nice fall season in NJ, the too-cold and the too-hot (aka Indian summer) have not been as prevailant as in the past.

Yeah not bad for an SX10 IS, that 20x zoom really comes in handy sometimes. :P