Scion xB, xD models getting the axe

SAmadei

2011scionxb000opt-1268855579.jpg

Scion has long been labeled as a "youth brand," so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised to read word of parent Toyota turning over the marque's aging nameplates so quickly. According to Ward's Auto, Scion is set to kill off its xB and models – the first a onetime icon for the brand, the latter an econobox that never truly caught on with buyers (not unlike it's predecessor, the xA).

A model like the xB was always going to be a love-hate proposition, and indeed, the subcompact sharply divided opinion because of its its t-square styling and funky stance back when it was introduced in 2004. But enough buyers fell enough with its good qualities – remarkable space efficiency, solid fuel economy, ease-of-driving and low pricing that the xB sold surprisingly well, in the process becoming something of a totem for the brand. The second-generation model, which bowed for 2007, seemed to alter all the things that made the original so endearing: the xB grew substantially, had the uniquely sharp corners of its design chamfered off, and it gained more power without adding much in the way of performance because the vehicle had been so radically upsized. Fuel economy dipped, too, as did the xB's popularity with shoppers. Last year, Scion only moved about 17,000 examples – in its heyday, the xB sold over 60,000 units.

More at http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/23/scion-xb-XD-models-getting-the-axe/

I've only liked the xB out of the entire Scion lineup over the years (not a fan of the mini-Astro inspired xA though). Can't say much for the rest of te Scion lineup (the tC was too much of a girly car to me, though I know plenty young guys bought that car). The FRS is a better entry, but I find the iQ to be a joke. My step-son is a fan of the brand, but surprisingly my wife isn't.

They won't be missed. Scion could be Toyota's Saturn. Loads of money invested for very little return and eventually just closing up shop.

Not quite true: Scions are sold as Toyotas in Japan. Example: the xB is sold as the bB in Japan's domestic market. Saturn started as a far more radical proposition than Scion ever was, even though at the end that was no longer true. Scion is more like Mercury in the last decade or so.

The xB became a mini MiniVan for the Mini Soccer moms. The youth market were totally missed by Toyota on this.

Best thing they could do is kill the brand, move the FR-S under the Toyota name plate and move on.

Scion has always seemed somewhat redundant, what with similar compacts and subcompacts available as Toyotas (Corolla, Yaris, Matrix).

Let's not forget all their mini subcompacts overseas. I think some day we will see some of those little cars here so I do agree, Scion is redundant.