Drew Dowdell

Guess My Mileage and win $10

We are currently on our way to Ann Arbor in the 2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI we are reviewing. My first four days with the Passat in swamped and gridlocked Pittsburgh driving netted me 26.9 mpg. While that is lower than the EPA city rating, all non-hybrids get 0 miles per gallon while idling in traffic. Over the next three days, we will be doing almost exclusively highway cruising across Northern Ohio and up into Michigan.

You have two chances to win one of two $25 fuel gift cards. Your first chance is by guessing my fuel economy on tonight's trip (Pittsburgh to Ann Arbor) without going over. You get a second guess for the fuel economy for my trip from Port Huron Michigan to Pittsburgh PA on Monday evening. Winners will be announced Tuesday, August 14th at 12pm Eastern time.

To enter, simply reply in the comments of this thread with your two guesses. For example "Friday= 48.9mpg, Monday = 43.2mpg".

Here are the rules:

• You must be a registered user of CheersandGears.com to enter, guest posts are disqualified. You can sign up easily by clicking this link and even use your Facebook or Twitter account to speed things along.
  • No purchase or paid subscription is necessary to win.
  • Entries are taken in the order the server time stamps them. If two people guess the same number, the number with the earliest date/time stamp wins.
  • Volkswagen of America is not in any way affiliated with this contest aside from providing the test vehicle.
  • Entries must be received by 9 am Eastern, August 14th, 2012

Good Luck!

Click here to view the article

Good idea, Drew, the contest.

Friday: 42.1 mpg

Saturday: 43 mpg

Anyone else? The way gas is nowadays, up to $20 of it free sounds good to me!

Edited by ocnblu

Friday: 44.0

Monday: 47.4

So no more entries after this point.

I have to announce the winners early as I have a meeting at 11:30 to 12:30.

For my trip up to Ann Arbor, Albert and I were running late. We used 7.0 gallons to cover 305.6 miles for a fuel economy of 44.3 miles per gallon.

Coming home, we took it easy, burning just 5.9 gallons of diesel to cover 317.8 miles, for a fuel economy of 53.9 miles per gallon.

The cost of filling up each time was $3.999 and $3.989 giving a cost roughly 8.3 cents per mile.

The winners are:

Friday guess: 43.7 - Cubi getting his get exactly right
Monday guess: 53.9 - GMTruckguy for getting the closest without going over.

Friday 47.9

Monday 46.4

Yes, I've watched The Price Is Right :neenerneener:

LOL, good one, you guys are a trip...!

I had a feeling you'd get at least 50 mpg on the highway during one of those runs...

I am really only good at guessing snowfall amounts before Washington DC snowstorms, but those are a thing of the past. I remember driving brand new Chevy Chevette's that had diesel engines...I though they were pretty cool (probably because they were different) I remember talking to customers and they got some high mpg's with those diesel Chevette's. They sure bogged down when you turned the AC on!

DID I WIN??? :)

...you're always a winner with C & G :thumbsup:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. gerardo
      gerardo
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA REPORTS OCTOBER 2017 SALES RESULTS
      Sales totaled 27,732 units, an increase of 11.9 percent over October 2016 Year-to-date sales totaled 280,188, an increase of 9.4 percent Sales of the Chattanooga-built 2018 Atlas totaled 3,664 units Sales of the all-new 2018 Tiguan totaled 3,848 units Herndon, VA — (November 1, 2017) Volkswagen of America, Inc. (VWoA) today reported sales of 27,732 units delivered in October 2017, an 11.9 percent increase over October 2016. With 280,188 units delivered year-to-date in 2017, the company is reporting an increase of 9.4 percent in year-over-year sales.
      As Volkswagen shifts its lineup to offer more family-friendly SUVs, the results are reflected in October’s sales as   
      SUVs accounted for more than 32 percent of total volume for the Volkswagen brand. The Chattanooga-built Atlas delivered 3,664 units, while the 2018 Tiguan delivered 3,848 units.
      Sales of the core Jetta model were impressive, with 9,217 units delivered, an increase of 14.2 percent. This marks the best October for the Jetta since 2014.
      October 2017 Sales
        October 17
      October 16
      Yr/Yr%
      change
      October 17 
      YTD
      October 16
      YTD
      Yr/Yr%
      change
      Golf
      -14.7%
      13.6%
      GTI
      14.4%
      -0.6%
      Golf R
      -92.2%
      -23.2%
      e-Golf
      -50.1%
      -9.0%
      Golf SportWagen
      1.5%
      136.5%
      Total Golf Family
      -8.6%
      30.1%
      Jetta Sedan
      14.2%
      2.5%
      Jetta SportWagen       
      (now Golf SportWagen)
                       N/A  
                      N/A  
                N/A
      N/A
      -120.0%
      Total Jetta
      14.2%
      2.4%
      Beetle Coupe
      -50.3%
      -5.9%
      Beetle Convertible
      -41.3%
      21.9%
      Total Beetle
      -47.2%
      4.7%
      Eos*
                       N/A  
                      N/A  
                N/A
      -99.7%
      Passat
      -36.8%
      -8.0%
      CC
      -75.8%
      -52.2%
      Tiguan
      -62.0%
      -34.6%
      2018 Tiguan
                      N/A
                N/A
      N/A
                N/A
      Touareg
      -7.0%
      -17.8%
      Atlas
      N/A
                N/A
      N/A
                N/A
      TOTAL
      11.9%
      9.43%
      *Eos production ended in July 2015
    • By William Maley
      Despite announcing and getting ready to launch their SkyActivX compression ignition engines, along with an electric vehicle, Mazda will still be working on diesel engines for the coming future.
      “There is a benefit to keep developing the diesel engine. Because when we put the engine on a big vehicle, the big vehicle needs big torque as well and if you look at the diesel engine it can produce the large torque, so we still believe the diesel engine has advantages,” said Ichiro Hirose, Mazda's managing executive officer of powertrain and vehicle development to CarAdvice.
      “There is actually huge room for further improvement in diesel engines. [Such as] refining of the combustion, of course, the efficiency will be better, also emission will be reduced as well. As far as the diesel engine is concerned there are still many things we can do in terms of evenly mix the air-fuel and burn. Many things we can do.”
      A recent patent filed by Mazda shows a twin-turbo diesel engine that also features a supercharger, most likely to help minimize turbo lag.
      Source: CarAdvice
    • By William Maley
      Despite announcing and getting ready to launch their SkyActivX compression ignition engines, along with an electric vehicle, Mazda will still be working on diesel engines for the coming future.
      “There is a benefit to keep developing the diesel engine. Because when we put the engine on a big vehicle, the big vehicle needs big torque as well and if you look at the diesel engine it can produce the large torque, so we still believe the diesel engine has advantages,” said Ichiro Hirose, Mazda's managing executive officer of powertrain and vehicle development to CarAdvice.
      “There is actually huge room for further improvement in diesel engines. [Such as] refining of the combustion, of course, the efficiency will be better, also emission will be reduced as well. As far as the diesel engine is concerned there are still many things we can do in terms of evenly mix the air-fuel and burn. Many things we can do.”
      A recent patent filed by Mazda shows a twin-turbo diesel engine that also features a supercharger, most likely to help minimize turbo lag.
      Source: CarAdvice

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Do you remember the Volkswagen Kübelwagen? You might know it better as the Thing sold in 1970s. Volkswagen could be bringing it back as an electric vehicle.
      Speaking with Car and Driver, Volkswagen brand boss Herbert Diess said the upcoming MEB (Modular Electrification Toolkit) architecture might be the perfect platform to bring back some of the company's iconic vehicles like the Thing.
      “MEB is flexible—rear-wheel drive, front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive—and we have so many emotional concepts. I don’t know if you remember the Kübelwagen. This Thing is a nice car. Then there are all the buggies, the kit cars. We have the bus. We have the various derivatives of the bus. We have so many exciting concepts in our history that we don’t have to do a Beetle,” said Diess.
      This possible idea isn't that all surprising as Volkswagen as the I.D. Buzz was inspired by the Microbus.
      Speaking of the Beetle, Car and Driver asked if there will be a replacement for this model. As we have reported previously, the Beetle could be canned due to poor sales.
      “No decision yet. The next decision on the electric cars will be, ‘What kind of emotional concepts do we need?’ [A decision] might happen next year. This Beetle won’t go electric; the next one might, if there is a next one. We have a good chance on the electric side to do derivatives and emotional derivatives. It’s probably more efficient to do so than in [internal combustion] cars,” said Diess.
      “We could [build an electric Beetle], because it is rear-wheel drive, no grille. If we wanted to do a Beetle electrically, it would be much better than the current car. Much closer to the history of the Beetle. [But] I think the Microbus is a much better emotional concept for the brand than the Beetle. If you go to California, everybody would say it’s the bus.”
      Source: Car and Driver

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Do you remember the Volkswagen Kübelwagen? You might know it better as the Thing sold in 1970s. Volkswagen could be bringing it back as an electric vehicle.
      Speaking with Car and Driver, Volkswagen brand boss Herbert Diess said the upcoming MEB (Modular Electrification Toolkit) architecture might be the perfect platform to bring back some of the company's iconic vehicles like the Thing.
      “MEB is flexible—rear-wheel drive, front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive—and we have so many emotional concepts. I don’t know if you remember the Kübelwagen. This Thing is a nice car. Then there are all the buggies, the kit cars. We have the bus. We have the various derivatives of the bus. We have so many exciting concepts in our history that we don’t have to do a Beetle,” said Diess.
      This possible idea isn't that all surprising as Volkswagen as the I.D. Buzz was inspired by the Microbus.
      Speaking of the Beetle, Car and Driver asked if there will be a replacement for this model. As we have reported previously, the Beetle could be canned due to poor sales.
      “No decision yet. The next decision on the electric cars will be, ‘What kind of emotional concepts do we need?’ [A decision] might happen next year. This Beetle won’t go electric; the next one might, if there is a next one. We have a good chance on the electric side to do derivatives and emotional derivatives. It’s probably more efficient to do so than in [internal combustion] cars,” said Diess.
      “We could [build an electric Beetle], because it is rear-wheel drive, no grille. If we wanted to do a Beetle electrically, it would be much better than the current car. Much closer to the history of the Beetle. [But] I think the Microbus is a much better emotional concept for the brand than the Beetle. If you go to California, everybody would say it’s the bus.”
      Source: Car and Driver
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook