Drew Dowdell

Guess My Mileage and win $10

We are currently on our way to Ann Arbor in the 2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI we are reviewing. My first four days with the Passat in swamped and gridlocked Pittsburgh driving netted me 26.9 mpg. While that is lower than the EPA city rating, all non-hybrids get 0 miles per gallon while idling in traffic. Over the next three days, we will be doing almost exclusively highway cruising across Northern Ohio and up into Michigan.

You have two chances to win one or two of two $10 fuel gift cards. Your first chance is by guessing my fuel economy on tonight's trip (Pittsburgh to Ann Arbor) without going over. You get a second guess for the fuel economy for my trip from Port Huron Michigan to Pittsburgh PA on Monday evening. Winners will be announced Tuesday, August 14th at 12pm Eastern time.

To enter, simply reply in the comments of this thread with your two guesses. For example "Friday= 48.9mpg, Monday = 43.2mpg".

Here are the rules:

1. You must be a registered user of CheersandGears.com to enter, guest posts are disqualified. You can sign up easily clicking this link and even use your Facebook or Twitter account to speed things along.
  2. No purchase or paid subscription is necessary to win.
  3. Entries are taken in the order the server time stamps them. If two people guess the same number, the number with the earliest date/time stamp wins.
  4. Volkswagen of America is not in any way affiliated with this contest aside from providing the test vehicle.
  5. Entries must be received by 9 am Eastern, August 14th, 2012

Good Luck!

View full article

Guest Paul

Friday 47.9

Monday 46.4

Yes, I've watched The Price Is Right :neenerneener:

Good idea, Drew, the contest.

Friday: 42.1 mpg

Saturday: 43 mpg

Anyone else? The way gas is nowadays, up to $20 of it free sounds good to me!

Edited by ocnblu

On my way back home across Northern Ohio, will I do better or worse than my trip to Ann Arbor? More users have guesses?

post-51-0-84888500-1344876346_thumb.png

Well I'm back and I have the two official numbers. You can keep getting guesses in until 9am eastern tomorrow morning.

Friday: 44.0

Monday: 47.4

So no more entries after this point.

I have to announce the winners early as I have a meeting at 11:30 to 12:30.

For my trip up to Ann Arbor, Albert and I were running late. We used 7.0 gallons to cover 305.6 miles for a fuel economy of 44.3 miles per gallon.

Coming home, we took it easy, burning just 5.9 gallons of diesel to cover 317.8 miles, for a fuel economy of 53.9 miles per gallon.

The cost of filling up each time was $3.999 and $3.989 giving a cost roughly 8.3 cents per mile.

The winners are:

Friday guess: 43.7 - Cubi getting his get exactly right
Monday guess: 53.9 - GMTruckguy for getting the closest without going over.

Friday 47.9

Monday 46.4

Yes, I've watched The Price Is Right :neenerneener:

LOL, good one, you guys are a trip...!

I had a feeling you'd get at least 50 mpg on the highway during one of those runs...

I am really only good at guessing snowfall amounts before Washington DC snowstorms, but those are a thing of the past. I remember driving brand new Chevy Chevette's that had diesel engines...I though they were pretty cool (probably because they were different) I remember talking to customers and they got some high mpg's with those diesel Chevette's. They sure bogged down when you turned the AC on!

DID I WIN??? :)

...you're always a winner with C & G :thumbsup:

I had a feeling there might be a 50 mpg number in there, but I went a bit low on my guesses. Diesel rocks.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Volkswagen of America December 2019 Sales
        Dec. 19
      Dec. 18
      Yr/Yr% 
      change
      Dec. 19 YTD
      Dec. 18 YTD
      Yr/Yr% 
      change
       Golf
      12% 
      -15%   GTI
      -27% 
      16,684  -30%   Golf R
      348% 
      3,468  22%   e-Golf
      19% 
      1,354  259%   Golf SportWagen
      17% 
      14,123  -22%   Total Golf Family
      10% 
      42,271  -12%   Jetta Sedan
      -20% 
      90,734  11%   Jetta SportWagen      
       (now Golf  SportWagen)

N/A 
      N/A 
       Total Jetta
      -20% 
      90,805  11%   Beetle Coupe
      -29% 
      8,636  -11%   Beetle  Convertible
      -16% 
      5,775  65% 
       Total Beetle
      -22% 
      14,411  19%   Passat
      -77% 
      14,123  41,401  -66%   CC

-82% 
      -87%   Arteon
      283  -  N/A  2,449  -  N/A   Tiguan Limited

-99% 
      13,546  -97%   Tiguan
      -5.1% 
      89,476  22%   Total Tiguan
      -7.2% 
      6.7% 
       Touareg

-88% 
      -92%   Atlas
      10% 
      37%   Total Car
      -25% 
      -9.3% 
       Total SUV
      0.1% 
      16% 
       TOTAL 
      -13%  
      2.6%  
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The EPA has officially released its assessment of the 2020 Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel. The EcoDiesel is only available as a 4-door with an 8-speed automatic and in that configuration, the EcoDiesel manages to get 29 mpg highway, 22 mpg city, and 25 combined. That is slightly better than a 4x4 Ram 1500 with the same powertrain. The next closest model in terms of fuel efficiency is the 2-door, 4-cylinder, manual transmission, rear-wheel drive Wrangler at 24 highway mpg, 22 city mpg, and 23 combined. 
      The diesel engine is a $4,000 option though so you may not ultimately save money. Instead, Jeep believes the EcoDiesel option is best suited for those who need the gobs of torque generated by the V6 diesel when going off-road. With 260 horsepower and 442 lb.-ft of torque, the Wrangler EcoDiesel has torque in spades. To the dismay of many, the Ecodiesel does come standard with electronic stop/start.
      If diesel isn't your thing, there is the 2.0T 4-cylinder which produces 270 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft of torque or the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 which produces 285 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft of torque.  Both engines also come with stop/start or can be upgraded to the eTorque system that smooths out the torque band and either engine is available with a manual transmission or 8-speed automatic.

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The EPA has officially released its assessment of the 2020 Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel. The EcoDiesel is only available as a 4-door with an 8-speed automatic and in that configuration, the EcoDiesel manages to get 29 mpg highway, 22 mpg city, and 25 combined. That is slightly better than a 4x4 Ram 1500 with the same powertrain. The next closest model in terms of fuel efficiency is the 2-door, 4-cylinder, manual transmission, rear-wheel drive Wrangler at 24 highway mpg, 22 city mpg, and 23 combined. 
      The diesel engine is a $4,000 option though so you may not ultimately save money. Instead, Jeep believes the EcoDiesel option is best suited for those who need the gobs of torque generated by the V6 diesel when going off-road. With 260 horsepower and 442 lb.-ft of torque, the Wrangler EcoDiesel has torque in spades. To the dismay of many, the Ecodiesel does come standard with electronic stop/start.
      If diesel isn't your thing, there is the 2.0T 4-cylinder which produces 270 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft of torque or the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 which produces 285 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft of torque.  Both engines also come with stop/start or can be upgraded to the eTorque system that smooths out the torque band and either engine is available with a manual transmission or 8-speed automatic.

• By Drew Dowdell
      The Volkswagen brand is on track to introduce 34 models globally in 2020.  While some, like the ID.3, will be new to the portfolio, others are variants of familiar faces with many of those being electrified. Much stricter emissions rules come into effect in Europe starting January 1st and will force every company that sells on the continent to rethink their lineups.
      For Volkswagen, that means that most of their internal combustion powered vehicles will gain an available hybrid powertrain. Volkswagen says they will be introducing hybrid versions from the Golf to the Tiguan, to the Touareg. There will also be a number of cars coming that aren't hybrids or EVs. The next generation Golf is coming to Europe in 2020 with GTI, GTD, R, and Wagon variants to follow, though not all will make it to the U.S.. The Atlas will receive a refresh and the Atlas Cross Sport goes into production soon. Over in Europe, VW will be launching the T-Roc Cabriolet, the Arteon Shooting Brake, and Tiguan R.  Plus there will be other announcements coming for the brand.  With that in mind, these 34 vehicles are just for the VW brand and don't count what Audi, SEAT, Skoda, are up to. So there is likely to be even more in the pipeline.
      This whole push is to help get the Volkswagen brand to a 4 percent to 5 percent operating profit for 2020. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The Volkswagen brand is on track to introduce 34 models globally in 2020.  While some, like the ID.3, will be new to the portfolio, others are variants of familiar faces with many of those being electrified. Much stricter emissions rules come into effect in Europe starting January 1st and will force every company that sells on the continent to rethink their lineups.
      For Volkswagen, that means that most of their internal combustion powered vehicles will gain an available hybrid powertrain. Volkswagen says they will be introducing hybrid versions from the Golf to the Tiguan, to the Touareg. There will also be a number of cars coming that aren't hybrids or EVs. The next generation Golf is coming to Europe in 2020 with GTI, GTD, R, and Wagon variants to follow, though not all will make it to the U.S.. The Atlas will receive a refresh and the Atlas Cross Sport goes into production soon. Over in Europe, VW will be launching the T-Roc Cabriolet, the Arteon Shooting Brake, and Tiguan R.  Plus there will be other announcements coming for the brand.  With that in mind, these 34 vehicles are just for the VW brand and don't count what Audi, SEAT, Skoda, are up to. So there is likely to be even more in the pipeline.
      This whole push is to help get the Volkswagen brand to a 4 percent to 5 percent operating profit for 2020. 
  • Recent Status Updates

• trinacriabob  »  balthazar

It's not possible to message you.  At least, it wasn't possible to do that last summer.  So I'll post it here.  I had a crazy layover back in June at PHL ... for about 8 hours ... and wondered how far into NJ you were from Philly.  What I did is get the PHLash day pass and did the self-guided tour of Center City before heading back to the airport.  I stayed too close to the center because of time. I actually wasted time by going into South Philly.  I wanted to venture out onto the Main Line and see Villanova.  That rail line was included on the pass I bought.  I had to manage my time because of the late afternoon flight to the Coast.  Cheers.
      · 1 reply
    • Drew Dowdell

Merry Christmas!
      · 1 reply
    • Robert Hall

Last work day of the year.  My client wants me back in January...which is good, really like working from home

· 1 reply
    • Drew Dowdell

Well today is the day. Last day at Direct Energy.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

Wheels for the week: 2020 Toyota Corolla XLE. We'll be taking this one on a trip to Virginia and testing out how close to the 37mpg highway rating we'll get. It's equipped with Toyota Safety Sense which means I'll have radar cruise control for the trip (Yay!). The shocking part is the price: $28,084 for a Corolla that doesn't even have the biggest engine. But it's got heated seats, so that will keep Albert Maisto happy.
      · 0 replies
  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook