Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Chevrolet News:Rumorpile: GM Announces Next-Generation Cruze To Built At Lordstown, New Platform In Store

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

August 24, 2012

Yesterday, General Motors announced a $220 million investment into two plants in Ohio; Lordstown and Parma. Lordstown has been building the Cruze since 2010, while Parma handles parts for GM vehicles.

The investment will be for tooling and equipment to build the next-generation Chevrolet Cruze.

"Thanks to northeast Ohio's supportive business climate, we're able to build on a great foundation and steer the Chevrolet Cruze into the next generation. A special thanks goes to Governor John Kasich and his team at Jobs Ohio for their strong leadership and advocacy for GM and our employees," said GM Manufacturing Manager Arvin Jones.

Which brings us onto what to expect from the next-generation Cruze. In the press release, Arvin "Jones said the new model will offer new exterior and interior styling, improved fuel economy and an improved interior compartment and more storage space."

Automotive News says the next Cruze will wear the same front end treatment as new Impala; a wider, flared-back grille that connects to the headlamps. Automotive News also says that GM is considering whether to add a hatchback or coupe for the next-generation Cruze lineup.

The big rumor comes from Reuters which says that the next-generation Cruze will be the first GM vehicle to utilize a new compact platform known internally as D2XX. D2XX will combine two current GM platforms, Delta II (Cruze and Volt) and Theta (Equinox and Terrain), into one. The platform could underpin close to 2.5 million compact sedans and crossovers by 2018.

When asked for comment, a GM spokesman declined.

The next-generation Cruze is due out in Fall 2014 as a 2015 model.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required),

Reuters

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

GM Commits Next-Gen Chevrolet Cruze to Ohio Plants

Lordstown and Parma get $220 million investment and retain more than 5,000 jobs

DETROIT – General Motors will invest $220 million for tooling and equipment to build the next-generation Chevrolet Cruze in two northeast Ohio plants retaining more than 5,000 jobs at facilities in Lordstown and Parma.

The Lordstown Complex, with support from the metal center in the Cleveland suburb of Parma, has built more than 500,000 of Chevrolet’s top-selling compact passenger sedan since production began in September 2010. More than 1.6 million Cruzes have been built globally since 2009.

"Thanks to northeast Ohio's supportive business climate, we're able to build on a great foundation and steer the Chevrolet Cruze into the next generation." GM Manufacturing Manager Arvin Jones said. "A special thanks goes to Governor John Kasich and his team at Jobs Ohio for their strong leadership and advocacy for GM and our employees."

GM has invested more than $7.3 billion in its U.S. facilities since 2009.

Production timing of the next-generation Cruze will be announced later. But Jones said the new model will offer new exterior and interior styling, improved fuel economy and an improved interior compartment and more storage space. Preliminary work to clear space in the body shop at Lordstown has begun.

The 2012 Cruze is among the best-selling compacts in the United States and was named “America’s Best Compact Car for the Money” by U.S. News and World Report.

In a joint statement, UAW Local 1112 Shop Chairman Ben Strickland and UAW Local 1714 Shop Chairman Will Adams credited the Lordstown Team. “The men and women of Lordstown are working hard to keep the Cruze a top-quality small car choice. The next-generation of the Cruze is well earned and we are thrilled to be assigned work that will keep good-paying next generation UAW jobs in the state of Ohio for years to come.”

The Lordstown complex has built more than 14.6 million cars in the 46 years since it opened in April 1966.

In 2011, the Parma Metal Center shipped about 60 million parts and processed more than 1,000 tons of steel a day to serve the majority of GM vehicle lines produced in North America. Parma has more than 1,400 dies and can produce up to 100 million parts a year.

View full article

I think I heard about this already.

No they are not changing the name since the car is selling well and has no negitive vibe with import owners.

Everyone I talked to seems to love them...again, Kudo's to GM....

Good news all around about the Cruze. Now if only they could straighten out the Malibu. . . . .

I think GM is stuck with the Malibu until around 2018. There is a rumor that GM will replace the Lambda and Epsilon platforms with one platform just as it may replace the Delta and Theta platforms with one new platform.

This is solid, good news about a solid, good car. A hatch AND a coupe would round out the line nicely... come on GM, give your compact all the firepower you can muster, because, ya know, the competition is NOT lying down.

I really do like the look of the front of the Impala. If it kinda looks like a mini-impy, I might just wait for the new one then......

There is a rumor that GM will replace the Lambda and Epsilon platforms with one platform just as it may replace the Delta and Theta platforms with one new platform.

I think a better term would be "merging platforms" as components of each will carry forward into the new. The Lambda and Epsilon merger is interesting because of Chi. As GM got closer and closer to running out of money ahead of the BK, the Chi platform was canceled. What was Chi? It was the sedan version of Lambda originally intended to sit under the Lucerne and DTS. Instead, GM took Epsilon and stretched it out as much as they could to fill as many roles as possible.

Hence the reason why the XTS echoes the K-car Imperial? :AH-HA:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By regfootball
      DRIVEN: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer LT AWD 3.6 (MSRP around 40k)
      HIGHS:
      -Blazer name is back!
      -Unique, sporty CUV style, drawing inspiration from the Camaro.  Be seen.  Looks good in person, even in a bad color.
      -Nice new interior design, including ball blower vents down low.  That will be a godsend in summer.  I liked the gauges, displays, controls, and touchscreen.
      -Cargo area seemed more useful in size than I imagined.  If I recall, the rear seats can slide forward and back to help out with that.
      -If you are averse to 4 cylinder engines, Chevy has you covered here.  Most of the Blazers will be had with 3.6 v6.  And with enough throttle foot, and after you let it wind up, and if the tranny actually kicks down, it scoots pretty well.
      -Fans of CUV's that are heavy and sit high will be like pigs in slop in the Blazer.
      LOWS:
      -There are probably a lot of people that won't be into the styling.
      -Drivetrain doesn't seem refined.  Sorry, another one of these GM drivetrains with the common 3.6 that underwhelms.  Slow transmission kickdown.  Feels like driveline has a lot of slop.  Lack of useful torque.  Grainy sounding, revs slow, throttle response is a dud.  
      -Interior space is not exactly a middle spot between the Equinox and Traverse.  To some it will feel not much larger than an Equinox inside, which is either a compliment for the Equinox (wasn't intended to be) or a rip on the Blazer (maybe that's where I was going).   Perhaps how high you sit on the queen perch exacerbates the truckiness of this thing, but it feels narrow in relation to it's size, and it's easier to knock elbows with your neighbor than it should be in this thing.
      -There is nothing about the ride and handling that stuck in my mind as impressive.  In fact, it was quite the opposite.  Now, maybe the RS is better, I don't know.
      -Irregardless of whether a vehicle being heavy is a good or bad thing, it's that the Blazer actually feels porky or even porkier than it is / isn't.
      -The elephant in the room on this thing is price.  This lightly equipped LT was near 40 grand.  In the same showroom is an almost equally equipped Traverse for an almost equal price.  The versions that are in the high 40's and 50's, it's a real SMH to me.
      -An all around feel about the vehicle that it was just a cobbled together parts bin ride (which historically has been GM's PENCHANT).  The Blazer is a vehicle that feels old by several years on the market, right when it's introduced.
      SUMMARY
      No compelling reason to pick this vehicle on the market other than if you are a GM fanboi/girl or you've gone sick on the styling of it.  If it's the former, its another case of GM missing an opportunity to provide class competitive or better vehicle refinement and dynamics and missing the mark.  If it's the latter, then the styling ends up being the sole purpose for the vehicle to exist in the market.  If it doesn't have more than that, than it's hopes for being a long term success are pretty thin.  I don't need to dive much more into this one.  Reviving the Blazer name and throwing it on something that evokes the Camaro in styling is about all there is behind this effort.  Nissan came out with the Murano in 2003? 2004? And Chevrolet finally has something to compete with it in 2019.  The list of vehicles that are better options to this for your money, whether 2 or 3 row, are in the dozens.  As far as Chevy, if you really want size, immediately bypass the Blazer and just go straight for the Traverse.  For performance and refinement, it's entirely possibly that a well loaded Equinox with the 2.0 engine is a much more enjoyable vehicle for a majority of people.  And don't forget the GMC options too.  Other makes and models, Santa Fe, Atlas, Edge, Passport, all better.  I might be here all day if I list all the better options.
      It doesn't make it bad to like the Blazer and I wouldn't criticize anyone for buying one.  I just think GM mailed it in here, which they seem to be doing with increasing frequency here.  All you get here is a name and some style.  Bless ya if that's what you want.  I may try the 2.5 FWD for contrast, but i think I can 99% safely say one of these will never be in my driveway.  Continuing to lose more and more faith in GM and Chevy all the time.

• By William Maley
      It hasn't been an easy go for Holden for almost the last decade. Sales have been declining for the past eight years and buyers haven't been wowed by either the new Commodore or their growing lineup of crossovers. This has reportedly brought the vultures out.
      The Australian Financial Review reported yesterday that Inchcape, one of the largest independent vehicle importers has started discussions with General Motors about possibly taking over the importation of Holden vehicles. According to sources, the talks are going very slowly and there are "extreme sensitivities on both sides of the negotiating table." The talks will not include the transfer of Holden's engineering and design offices, along with the Lang Lang Proving Grounds. Inchcape has also hired one of the largest accounting firms to perform due diligence and looking into various scenarios. 
      The likely reason Inchcape is looking into this possibility is due to GM's restructuring plans. Already, the company has pulled out certain markets and is planning to possibly shut down various plants in the U.S.
      Inchcape handles the import and retail duties for a number of automakers such as Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen, and more in 32 countries. In Australia, Inchcape handles Citroen, Peugeot, and Subaru.
      "Under the leadership of [GM Holden CEO] Dave Buttner, who was appointed in August last year, we are turning around the Holden business, growing sales, re-engaging and re-energizing our distribution network and launching exciting vehicles like the all-new Acadia. We are fully focused on supporting Dave in building a strong Holden for the future, as it remains an important part of GM's business," a spokesman for GM told the outlet.
      When reached by CarsGuide for a comment, a spokesperson for Inchcape said, "We are always assessing a range of opportunities and initiatives in support of our Ignite strategy and we do not comment on speculation."
      Source: Australian Financial Review (Subscription Required), CarAdvice, CarsGuide

View full article
    • By William Maley
      It hasn't been an easy go for Holden for almost the last decade. Sales have been declining for the past eight years and buyers haven't been wowed by either the new Commodore or their growing lineup of crossovers. This has reportedly brought the vultures out.
      The Australian Financial Review reported yesterday that Inchcape, one of the largest independent vehicle importers has started discussions with General Motors about possibly taking over the importation of Holden vehicles. According to sources, the talks are going very slowly and there are "extreme sensitivities on both sides of the negotiating table." The talks will not include the transfer of Holden's engineering and design offices, along with the Lang Lang Proving Grounds. Inchcape has also hired one of the largest accounting firms to perform due diligence and looking into various scenarios. 
      The likely reason Inchcape is looking into this possibility is due to GM's restructuring plans. Already, the company has pulled out certain markets and is planning to possibly shut down various plants in the U.S.
      Inchcape handles the import and retail duties for a number of automakers such as Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen, and more in 32 countries. In Australia, Inchcape handles Citroen, Peugeot, and Subaru.
      "Under the leadership of [GM Holden CEO] Dave Buttner, who was appointed in August last year, we are turning around the Holden business, growing sales, re-engaging and re-energizing our distribution network and launching exciting vehicles like the all-new Acadia. We are fully focused on supporting Dave in building a strong Holden for the future, as it remains an important part of GM's business," a spokesman for GM told the outlet.
      When reached by CarsGuide for a comment, a spokesperson for Inchcape said, "We are always assessing a range of opportunities and initiatives in support of our Ignite strategy and we do not comment on speculation."
      Source: Australian Financial Review (Subscription Required), CarAdvice, CarsGuide
  • My Clubs