Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I'm Ready

Blake Noble

... For that white Honda Accord.

Honda-Accord-1995-white.jpg

The Astra has started randomly quitting on me. I have absolutely no clue as to why, nor do I know what spurred it on.

It first happened four nights ago as I was rounding a turn at 20 mph. I actually didn't even realize the car had quit at first; I was hitting the throttle and realized the engine wasn't responding and the rev counter was at zero. I pulled off to the side of the road and it restarted as if nothing happened.

It did pretty much the exact same thing heading home tonight. No warning, nothing.

On another note, the gas guage and fuel range read outs no longer sync up. Again, no idea why.

Considering there's so few of these things in the States and dealers have to source parts from Opel, I don't expect fixing this to be cheap.

I intended to have the OBD II codes read today, but I didn't get around to it. So far, it hasn't quit again but I've been noticing random periods of light sputtering as well as some hesistation under acceleration.

Ditto the sensors. It could be a couple hundred to fix but then selling, (and buying) a vehicle while going to school will be a major pain in the ass.

I also have to go to work four days out of the week, too.

But if it comes down to me having to get rid of the car for whatever reason, I'll just have to figure out a way to manage. I'm not going to let it stress me out.

Edited by black-knight

I intended to have the OBD II codes read today, but I didn't get around to it. So far, it hasn't quit again but I've been noticing random periods of light sputtering as well as some hesistation under acceleration.

You got a Check Engine light? If you didn't get the light, there may be no pending codes.

I agree with DF, sounds like the crank or cam sensor... but you may not get a code until it fails completely. Most of these sensors can be replaced fairly quickly... but you have to do your research ahead of time, to figure out exactly WHAT needs to be moved out of the way.

Since even brand new cars fail, the only suggestion I have to always having a running car is to have n+1. (n being the number of drivers you are responsible for). I recently fell back to n, and spent a day without a car for the first time in over a decade. I'm working hard to get back to n+1, as I REALLY didn't like that.

You got a Check Engine light? If you didn't get the light, there may be no pending codes.

When the engine quit, yes. When it restarted, no. It's my understanding that even if the CEL didn't come back on after restarting the engine, the OBD II system still could have stored something related to as to why the engine quit, if it was a cam or crankshaft sensor or whatever.

I agree with DF, sounds like the crank or cam sensor... but you may not get a code until it fails completely. Most of these sensors can be replaced fairly quickly... but you have to do your research ahead of time, to figure out exactly WHAT needs to be moved out of the way.

Since even brand new cars fail, the only suggestion I have to always having a running car is to have n+1. (n being the number of drivers you are responsible for). I recently fell back to n, and spent a day without a car for the first time in over a decade. I'm working hard to get back to n+1, as I REALLY didn't like that.

Owning more than one vehicle is in the cards, but it probably won't happen until I'm out of college.

Edited by black-knight

When the engine quit, yes. When it restarted, no. It's my understanding that even if the CEL didn't come back on after restarting the engine, the OBD II system still could have stored something related to as to why the engine quit, if it was a cam or crankshaft sensor or whatever.

Well, you might have a stored code. When the engine stops spinning, but the key is still on run, you have a CEL condition in that it is not able to see the crank spinning... but since this also happens when you put the ignition on 'Run' without starting the car, it is not stored. Other crank codes might have been stored when it stalled, but I would think you would have gotten a CEL when you felt the engine stumble a number of times.

Checking for the code needs to be done, but be prepared to not get anything... that would still be in the realm of the expected. Hopefully, you have a code, or even a pending code, as it obviously makes diagnosis that much easier.

Owning more than one vehicle is in the cards, but it probably won't happen until I'm out of college.

This is where the ol' grandma-fresh $500 beater comes in. ;-)

No codes were stored. Now I'm not too sure what I should do. I would hate to wait for it to happen again and the car not restart and I can't exactly afford to start eliminating all of the possible causes. While it may be easy to do simple basic maintenance on this car yourself (spark plug and oil changes), it isn't as easy to do more complex work.

EDIT: I guess if it came down to it, I could sell my Gibson SG and my extension cabinet to buy that cheap-o beater and drive it until I manage to repair or unload the Astra. I just don't know what I hate the thought of more; getting rid of my only guitar or having the Astra shit the bed on me on the way to class or work. I would have enough money to buy something like this with the cash I get out of the Gibby ...

Edited by black-knight

EGR valves will usually throw one or more codes. Fuel pump is possible, but considering how expensive it is + labor, and considering it doesn't have any codes (camshaft sensors in my experience will throw codes while crankshaft sensors don't always), I would replace the crankshaft sensor and see what happens.

Again, I agree with DF, replace the crank sensor. While a lot of sensors look difficult to get to, its because you are looking at the problem wrong. Many times, I can get to them more easily from underneath or from the sides, once you remove a tire and some of the plastic water shields. If I can contort my giant arms and ham hocks into position, you can.

I would also locate the Schrader valve on the fuel system and test the fuel pressure. I couldn't locate a spec on Google, but I would imagine you want to see at least 50~55 psi.

Finally, you have got to stop the mentality of wanting to dump the car as soon as something acts up... otherwise, just start burning all your money now.

And now we begin the slow unloading process ...

Winter's coming and a cash fire could serve to keep me warm during the cold.

Etc., etc., etc.

Honestly, after these hiccups occurred, I really started to question if I'm honestly happy with the car. Y'know, I don't think I really am. I don't know if I trust the car; I don't know if it's worth investing in fixing a problem that the car may not have to begin with; and I don't know if I still feel the same way about the car now like I did when I first bought it. I'd rather be in something from ChryCo. (mainly a Jeep or an LX car) or maybe a truck. And I still miss the Challenger.

I also think it's completely unreasonable and inexcusable that a car only five years old car and with just 40,000 miles is experiencing reliability issues. That's another reason why I'm not sure if I want to invest in this car.

Or maybe I should just say f@#k it and start riding a Vespa around and grow some dreadlocks.

You live and learn, I guess. What can I say? The first chance I get to trade the car in or sell it and at least break even, it's going. It may not be tomorrow, next week, or even a few months from now, but it isn't a permanent fixture in my driveway. I just hope it holds up until then.

I'm currently looking at $500 beaters ... what little is out there, anyway. I almost snagged a running Cherokee with 150,000 miles for $500 the other day, but the guy hauled it off for scrap just before I could get to it. I thought too long about it.

Edited by black-knight

Sounds a lot like it a crankshaft or camshaft position sensor. Those a very similar symptoms to what one of those sensors failing would be.

Yes...when those sensors failed on my GC, those were the symptoms...esp. scary when going 70 on the freeway in traffic and it happened. It didn't trip the check engine light either. I had mixed results after it shut off---sometimes it would start immediately, other times it wouldn't start. Had to have it towed 25 miles twice before the shop fixed it correctly. (after it was fixed, I thought the name was 'crankcase position sensor' until the C&G experts corrected me).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

It may not be tomorrow, next week, or even a few months from now, but it isn't a permanent fixture in my driveway. I just hope it holds up until then.

You're jeopardizing your safety and those of other motorists by continuing to drive it, though. At the least, you could potentially end up missing an exam on your way to school if a problem occurs.

I think the best option is to change the sensors, as it appears that's the consensus. Do it before school gets even heavier, or you won't have the time to in a couple weeks.

Spend the 500 on the car you have. You can fix a lot for that price with the right guy. Look for dealer mechanics that do work " on the side"

This.

You've already gone the beater route before, and none of them ended too well for you. Plus, you'll probably lose more than $500 if you decide to sell the Astra. It's an Ecotec, so it's going to take a heck of a lot of abuse to kill it. Change the sensors, or have them changed.

Another piece of advice, get the codes scanned anyway. The PCM will hold on to them sometimes even though the light isn't currently on. On the better scanners you'll be able to get a trouble code history. Go to your nearest AutoZone, Advance, etc and borrow their scanner. It'll take all of ten seconds in the parking lot to get a code readout. Write down any codes that it finds, and when you get home use the google to help you find what they mean in plain English.

No codes were stored. Now I'm not too sure what I should do. I would hate to wait for it to happen again and the car not restart and I can't exactly afford to start eliminating all of the possible causes. While it may be easy to do simple basic maintenance on this car yourself (spark plug and oil changes), it isn't as easy to do more complex work.

EDIT: I guess if it came down to it, I could sell my Gibson SG and my extension cabinet to buy that cheap-o beater and drive it until I manage to repair or unload the Astra. I just don't know what I hate the thought of more; getting rid of my only guitar or having the Astra $h! the bed on me on the way to class or work. I would have enough money to buy something like this with the cash I get out of the Gibby ...

While I can understand not wanting to get rid of a cherished item like your guitar, Keep in mind, Your investing in your Future. Going without the Guitar while you educate yourself, fix your ride so it is dependable, will allow you to get even more or better guitars down the road.

Sacrifice now for a better future. Instant gratification does not secure a job, retirement or your future.

• Agree 3

IGNITION COILS, Yup Bing it or Google it, but I have found on nurmerous forums that people with Astra's having the same issues and everyone says to scan for codes as some do show up and there have been times nothing showed up. But always good troubleshooting to do. Then test the Ignition coils as multiple people have stated they failed or were flaky and once replaced the auto ran better than new. Seems to be an issue with the 2007-2008 astras.

I agree with others, much cheaper to repair this car and drive it than to dump it, take a loss and look for a beater that will have multiple hidden issues.

• Agree 1

I'm not worried about taking a loss on the car if I get rid of it. In fact, I know its worth a little bit more than what I paid for it, private party especially.

As for the ignition coil, well ... that I could possibly replace myself, but it'll cost me $600 big ones to buy a new one. However, labor costs to replace the coil pack seem to be about as much as the part itself. If it turns out its not the ignition coil and I have to replace the crankshaft senor and two camshaft sensors, then I've spent almost $2,000 dollars if I decide to try and replace the coil myself. While I may have enough money for a $500 beater, I don't have enough money to pay for a $2,000 dollar worst case sceneario, nor do I have any way possible to raise that much money. It's simply not going to happen and, knowing my luck, that could very well be the situation I wind up in.

Don't think I'm not considering fixing it, but I tend to think about the worst case scenearios first.

Edited by black-knight

I'm not worried about taking a loss on the car if I get rid of it. In fact, I know its worth a little bit more than what I paid for it, private party especially.

As for the ignition coil, well ... that I could possibly replace myself, but it'll cost me $600 big ones to buy a new one. However, labor costs to replace the coil pack seem to be about as much as the part itself. If it turns out its not the ignition coil and I have to replace the crankshaft senor and two camshaft sensors, then I've spent almost $2,000 dollars if I decide to try and replace the coil myself. While I may have enough money for a $500 beater, I don't have enough money to pay for a $2,000 dollar worst case sceneario, nor do I have any way possible to raise that much money. It's simply not going to happen and, knowing my luck, that could very well be the situation I wind up in.

Don't think I'm not considering fixing it, but I tend to think about the worst case scenearios first.

Just keep in mind, if you buy a $500 beater and it ends up needing 2000 of repairs to be a safe dependable car, you will wish you got the astra fixed.

In thinking about this, I would honestly take it to the dealer and ask them to do an assessment of the repair. At least the chevy dealers here have a $100 diagnostic service and then you know just what is wrong and what the cost will be. Now at least here in seattle, any gm dealership does a repair and it is repaired for life currently.

• 2 weeks later...

Look for a low mileage Camry or Avalon, even better than the white Accord..once you go beige you never go back.. A $500 beater might give you a couple trouble free drives, but it's opening a world of misery and despair.

Since it seems the Astra's woes are mostly electrical (and expensive), I'm thinking complexity is out for good and pure simplicity is in. Whiz-bang gizmos suck and expensive-to-repair luxuries such as power windows are standard on even a basic Camry. I need a vehicle with two or three moving parts and little computer involvement, a car that's essentially primitive as yesteryear but as recent as yesterday.

We'll see what I find on Saturday.

Edited by black-knight

Guest FAPFAPFAP

But what gave you problems wasn't really 'whiz-bang.' Camshaft sensors have been part of engine management, since like... ever?

If you strive to avoid electronic equipment, you'll just have an unsatisfactory vehicle that sucks to drive, sucks to be in, and sucks to take people in.

But what gave you problems wasn't really 'whiz-bang.' Camshaft sensors have been part of engine management, since like... ever?

If you strive to avoid electronic equipment, you'll just have an unsatisfactory vehicle that sucks to drive, sucks to be in, and sucks to take people in.

Yeah, he's going to have to find something very old and very basic...maybe a Model A or something from the 50s. Ugh. Or something really old-school like this:

flintstones-car.jpg

Yeah, he's going to have to find something very old and very basic...maybe a Model A or something from the 50s. Ugh. Or something really old-school like this:

flintstones-car.jpg

Can't get much better than the Flinston Mobil! :D

Here's the thinking behind that piece of criteria.

Perhaps this whole situation has sparked a bout of paranoia, but I think I finally see the huge drawback to this car. For what is essentially a Cobalt hatchback with refined styling and a better interior, it's crazy that you can easily find yourself paying almost the same for maintenance as you would if you had bought a used Audi; it's an economy car with premium car maintenance costs. I'll have to pay out of pocket for a few of my classes next semester since there won't be any chance of me getting any grants until my junior or senior year of college, and while I can spend some money on another car or repairing half of the Astra's issues, I'd rather come out that much more ahead come January, and the best way to do that may just be getting rid of the Astra altogether.

The Astra is pretty much a rolling heap of electronics. Of course, there are various computer management systems that control engine and other functions, but things like the stereo and its controls are linked to their own computer. It's all very expensive to replace on this car. The radio display also houses the board computer and that's also another costly repair bill. With a vehicle devoid of unnecessary luxuries, I can avoid the unnecessary out of pocket costs that go along with them. This is all something I should have considered a few months ago, but I was in such a hurry to finally have a vehicle that I didn't have to worry about and that I could keep that I made a large error in judgment and I rushed into things without considering the whole picture.

The Astra's issues are mostly electronic in some sort of capacity. If you're curious, here's the rundown according to the dealer without detailing specific costs.

• Camshaft sensors need to be replaced. This is a big reason why the car has random intervals of stalling.
  • Fuel filter and sending unit are weak and need to be replaced "in the near future." This explains why the board computer and fuel gauge never read accurately.
  • Spark plugs and wires need to be replaced. Replacing the coil pack is "advisable but not necessary at the moment." I don't really get that last bit, but whatever.

Edited by black-knight

The Astra's issues are mostly electronic in some sort of capacity. If you're curious, here's the rundown according to the dealer without detailing specific costs.

• Camshaft sensors need to be replaced. This is a big reason why the car has random intervals of stalling.
  • Fuel filter and sending unit are weak and need to be replaced "in the near future." This explains why the board computer and fuel gauge never read accurately.
  • Spark plugs and wires need to be replaced. Replacing the coil pack is "advisable but not necessary at the moment."

Those all sound like typical repairs any modern car would have as it ages....expenses an economy car or premium car would have... how many miles does the Astra have?

Some things that likely impact the cost of repairs for the Astra are that it was a low volume model in the US, that it was imported from Europe, and that it's out of production...

• Spark plugs and wires need to be replaced. Replacing the coil pack is "advisable but not necessary at the moment."

Some things that likely impact the cost of repairs for the Astra are that it was a low volume model in the US, that it was imported from Europe, and that it's out of production...

Though I have found people on the internets (maybe it was on the Astra forum) that state that the current 1.8 in the Cruze shares parts with the 1.8 in the Astra, and since the Cruze came out prices and availability of parts for the Astra 1.8 have improved.

The Astra is pretty much a rolling heap of electronics. Of course, there are various computer management systems that control engine and other functions, but things like the stereo and its controls are linked to their own computer. It's all very expensive to replace on this car.

Let me tell you.... even on my '81 most of the problems I've had are electrical. You'll never get away from electrical problems. Even my Dad's '29 Ford had an electrical issue the last time I was out in it with him.....

Here's the thinking behind that piece of criteria.

Perhaps this whole situation has sparked a bout of paranoia, but I think I finally see the huge drawback to this car. For what is essentially a Cobalt hatchback with refined styling and a better interior, it's crazy that you can easily find yourself paying almost the same for maintenance as you would if you had bought a used Audi; it's an economy car with premium car maintenance costs. I'll have to pay out of pocket for a few of my classes next semester since there won't be any chance of me getting any grants until my junior or senior year of college, and while I can spend some money on another car or repairing half of the Astra's issues, I'd rather come out that much more ahead come January, and the best way to do that may just be getting rid of the Astra altogether.

The Astra is pretty much a rolling heap of electronics. Of course, there are various computer management systems that control engine and other functions, but things like the stereo and its controls are linked to their own computer. It's all very expensive to replace on this car. The radio display also houses the board computer and that's also another costly repair bill. With a vehicle devoid of unnecessary luxuries, I can avoid the unnecessary out of pocket costs that go along with them. This is all something I should have considered a few months ago, but I was in such a hurry to finally have a vehicle that I didn't have to worry about and that I could keep that I made a large error in judgment and I rushed into things without considering the whole picture.

• Spark plugs and wires need to be replaced. Replacing the coil pack is "advisable but not necessary at the moment." I don't really get that last bit, but whatever.

But if the auto over all is in good shape compared to the unknown of a $500 beater, would it not be better to repair them, not have a car payment and know the over all state of the auto you are driving?

• Agree 1

Well, I tried trading the Astra in for a Wrangler today ... no dice. The Astra should be worth what I paid for it; the dealer wouldn't budge from $8,000.

It also seems that there is some confusion about what I said in my previous post. Guys, I understand that there's no escaping the various computerized engine controls that a reliable, modern car packs around these days. I get that. However, considering the complexity of the Astra and what it would cost to repair it, I'm starting to see the benefit of a car or truck that trades in unessential luxuries such as a board computer and a six-disc CD changer in for simplier, less costly things such as crank windows and so forth. That's all I'm saying.

On another note, disregard the dealer advising me to replace the plugs and wires. They were obviously trying to take a few extra dollars out of my wallet. Just for the record, the Astra doesn't have plug wires. I started to revise my earlier post to point that out but didn't finish. That also makes me doubt what they said about replacing the coil pack.

Those all sound like typical repairs any modern car would have as it ages....expenses an economy car or premium car would have... how many miles does the Astra have?

That's not the point. The point is that is just as costly to repair this particular economy car as it would be to repair an Audi or some other more aspirational car. You wouldn't buy a Chevrolet Cobalt if you knew it cost just as much as an Audi A3 to run and maintain, regardless if the Cobalt was cheaper initially. The Cobalt is an entry-level, economy car that should be easy and cheap to mend and the story should be the same for the Astra, regardless if it was built in Europe. It was billed as an economy car when it was new and it should be as cheap to maintain as one.

The Astra only has 42,600 miles.

Yep, yep, and yup.

Though I have found people on the internets (maybe it was on the Astra forum) that state that the current 1.8 in the Cruze shares parts with the 1.8 in the Astra, and since the Cruze came out prices and availability of parts for the Astra 1.8 have improved.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have affected the prices on the parts I currently need. Not only that, but not every part on the 1.8 in the Cruze and Sonic will interchange with the 1.8 in the Astra. From what I gather, for every part that's the same, there's one part that's totally different.

Let me tell you.... even on my '81 most of the problems I've had are electrical. You'll never get away from electrical problems. Even my Dad's '29 Ford had an electrical issue the last time I was out in it with him.....

Right, but most electrical systems as recent as a decade ago are nowhere near as involved as current electrical systems. Granted, they're still complex, but there's a little less going on.

Let's just be honest here: I'm of a very limited skill set when it comes to doing my own mechanic work. I'm a shadetree mechanic's shadetree mechanic. I have a basic understanding of how things work and what does what, but I'm not the best at breaking something down and not breaking something or getting it to function correctly when I put it back together unless it's a guitar or a firearm. If it were the other way around, perhaps I wouldn't have owned so many cars so far.

My ability to work on my own vehicle needs to change and grow, but I don't really see that happening when I own a vehicle that a.) honestly, intimidates me to work on and b.) is too much of a hassle to buy and locate parts for. Basic maintenance such as oil and spark plug changes aren't a terrible hassle on this car, but some of the stuff we're talking about in this thread is a different story.

But if the auto over all is in good shape compared to the unknown of a $500 beater, would it not be better to repair them, not have a car payment and know the over all state of the auto you are driving?

Who said anything about me having a car payment if I got rid of the Astra? It's a non-issue.

If I bought a beater, it would mainly serve as something to drive while I throw the Astra up on Craigslist and wait patiently for a buyer. It's difficult to sell something priced at $800 these days, let alone something priced at $10 to $11,000. It would also stick around after I replace the Astra to serve as a safety net for future situations like this. I'd also like something to tinker around with and really learn how to fix without worrying about screwing it up too much.

Edited by black-knight

You'd have to go older than the 80's to find a car that doesn't have some sort of computerized equipment. ECUs could be found in the 80s.

Also things like power windows aren't really complex, and you really aren't that much less likely to have an issue with manual VS power. For example, At one point 3 of the Grand Marquis wIndows didn't work, but in all 3 cases the cause was a broken regulator cable, not the motor. The Prizm, which has manual windows, had a regulator cable snap on the driver's side. The Intrepid has yet to have any problem with its windows. A CD player/changer could stop working, but so could a cassette player or the entire radio itself.

Plus, even without electronic do-dads a car is a very complicated machine. Newer cars are much more reliable and better built than old cars ever were. Today's cars can make it to 100,000 miles without nothing but routine maintenance, whereas in days of yore you were lucky if you got that far. You owned a few cars from the 80's remember, I'm sure you can attest to their stellar reliability.

Have you gotten quotes on replacing the crankshaft sensor? I would start there. It shouldn't be that expensive to replace if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

• Agree 1

Easy. Fix the damn car. I'm be willing to bet the owner before you did not take very good care of it, hence some of your issues. A few of the members are right on with what's wrong with it.

Look at it this way-you 're going to spend money, regardless. Whether it's the astra or a beater, it's going to be fixed. I personally know a few people with astras, and they have a few issues...one close to yours. But both are running fine now, and neither ended up a money pit.

I'd have more than a few people look at it....I've seen people have better luck outside the dealership anyways...