This Week Has Exceptionally Sucked and Hostess Isn't Here to Comfort Me

Blake Noble

Yeah, this week totally blows, and I don't give a rat's ass what side of the political or culinary fence you sit on. First, Ron Paul announces that he will retire from politics, another major war likely looms on the horizon, and now Hostess announces that it is going out of buisness.

Yep. That's right. Our collective fat American asses will no longer be able to scarf down the golden sweet goodness of the processed junk food we know and love as the Twinkie. Or slap together a peanut butter sandwich using the whitest of white bread, Wonder Bread. No longer can we swing by a Circle K or 7-11 and grab a handful of Ho Hos or Hostess Cupcakes, nor can we hazily gorge ourselves on Chocolate Zingers. Oh yeah, we can also say goodbye to Captian Eddy J. and his top officers Chocolate, Vanilla, and Strawberry as he goes down with the RMS Hostess.

In all seriousness, 18,500 people have lost their jobs as a result of nationwide strikes organized by the Bakery, Confectionary, Tobacco Workers, and Grain Millers International Union (also known as the BCTGM). Again, regardless of which side of the political or culinary fence you sit on, this is literally one of the last things we need to hear about right now in this country: more unemployment.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to reach for my favorite comfort food a Twi -- oh, goddammit. Well, I guess it's a good thing I didn't get rid of Debbie's number after all.

Source: Twinkies Maker Hostess to Liquidate Company After Strike (ABC News)

Edited by black-knight

Such a shame. Tastykake was in a similar shape a year ago, and I'm not really sure how solid of a company they are today. While I like Hostess products, especially the Hostess CupCakes and Twinkies along with Wonder Bread, I'm more of a Tastykake guy. From what I've heard from NBC10 Philadelphia news today, it's likely the recipes and brands will be sold off in the liquidation of the company. This could mean that the Hostess products we do love will be made by someone else, but you don't know if the quality and taste will be the same.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

So, let me get this straight...

1) Different Hostess employees (bakers, etc.) go on strike.

2) Hostess management warns that if they keep striking, the company will have to shut down.

3) Employees keep striking.

4) Company shuts down.

If this synopsis of events is correct (and someone correct me if I missed something), then absolutely everybody loses.

Is it bad I made a point last night to buy out the first gas station that still had some Twinkies still in stock after work? I bought the last three two packs on the shelf, and ate one pack when I left. It was quite possibly one of the saddest snack moments I've ever had.

Since the Taliban accidentally their email list, I'm sending this thread to them so they'll have a legitimate reason to hate America.

Mom never bought us that sort of stuff; I may have had a single twinkie in my life.

Dude you really missed out. I used to take the Twinkie and put my moms home made Freezer jam on them. They were AMAZING!!!! :P

Is it bad I made a point last night to buy out the first gas station that still had some Twinkies still in stock after work? I bought the last three two packs on the shelf, and ate one pack when I left. It was quite possibly one of the saddest snack moments I've ever had.

Since the Taliban accidentally their email list, I'm sending this thread to them so they'll have a legitimate reason to hate America.

Glad I could help.

Glad I could help.

Could we send in the Seals and every other Sniper to just eradicate the scum?

Such a shame. Tastykake was in a similar shape a year ago, and I'm not really sure how solid of a company they are today. While I like Hostess products, especially the Hostess CupCakes and Twinkies along with Wonder Bread, I'm more of a Tastykake guy. From what I've heard from NBC10 Philadelphia news today, it's likely the recipes and brands will be sold off in the liquidation of the company. This could mean that the Hostess products we do love will be made by someone else, but you don't know if the quality and taste will be the same.

Simply no contest, Tastykake exposes Hostess for the plastic that it is. :)

I understand Tastykake's parent company is a potential buyer for some Hostess brand names...

This would be a logical step for them. But now they have to wait as the Union asked the Judge to make the owners go to mediation. They told the judge they thought the family was bluffing and did not really know the company was in such dire financial straights.

Pretty freakin amazing if this is a poker bluff! :P