Volt Owners Love Their Cars Inappropriately

ocnblu

We can still choose gas powered cars for now with little consequences. As supplies start to dry up and China and India start driving more and more, the future supply is going to be a huge problem. There will always be -some- oil available for people with classic cars, but in my opinion it will probably not be a practical, affordable way to power a vehicle in 20 years, hell maybe even 10 years.

annual-world-discovery-production-oil.gif

I wonder how much of this discovery is manipulated by the Planet lovers that refuse to allow us to test and tap sources in off limit areas.

So much money is spent on fighting the oil users of the world and coal users and yet they also fight to keep from going to a cleaner source such as CNG. Both electrical production and auto's would run so much cleaner on CNG.

Oil discovery can happen in any nation on earth. If you believe there is some conspiracy, consider this - if some particular government, say for example the US government, was controlled by people who wanted to manipulate the findings, then discoveries in that country would drop. However, why would that stop, say, Saudi Arabia from failing to report their findings? I think the hard truth is that new oil is getting harder to find.

Oil discovery can happen in any nation on earth. If you believe there is some conspiracy, consider this - if some particular government, say for example the US government, was controlled by people who wanted to manipulate the findings, then discoveries in that country would drop. However, why would that stop, say, Saudi Arabia from failing to report their findings? I think the hard truth is that new oil is getting harder to find.

Considering the large finds off the coast of Brazil, we have hardly truly check the whole planet and I think there is far more than we know in the ground, but considering that Natural Gas is a much cleaner source, we might as well just move over to CNG auto's and CNG Power Plants.

Porsche and CTS V are not in the same group as the Tesla S. The Tesla S.

The Testla S is a luxury car that is an electric car first. All you hear about is how great it is and how wonderful everything is and nary a complaint about cost. While it may be a nice car it also is a damn expensive car once you get the better batteries and bigger electric motors. They will tell you how great the cars performance is but seldom do they toss out the top numbers.

When they speak on the CTS they make it clear if it is the V6 or V series and almost speak of them as if they were two different cars.

Now while the Volt is not cheap I do not see the price being near out of line as the Telsa S but the Volt gets beat into the ground for it. I just feel the Tesla gets a free pass and the Volt takes many more hits just because it is GM.

My long running thought has been the other companies have tried to nail the Volt as this technology is not cheap and if it proves to be the one of choice with the public as the price comes down it could cause the other companys the need to abandon the heavy investment they already have in their own electric progams. Companies like Toyota and Honda really want and need the Volt to fail or they will have to spend billions more to counter it.

Tesla is not as much of a threat as they are small and while they may compete in the market they just do not have the capaital to compete with the other nor will they have it for years to come if all goes right.

I feel Tesla will be sold off at some point the the investers will take the money and move on.

I am waiting to see how they people againts GM will attack the ELR too once it hits. 15 years ago pre Prius none of this would have happened but today I feel companies like Toyota and Honda often try to contol the media of the compitition more so than any other automakers.

If the Tesla was a GM car would it have been car of the year at Motor Trend at $106.000?

You're missing the point entirely. That's okay. I expected that.

Like wise!

Porsche and CTS V are not in the same group as the Tesla S. The Tesla S.

The Testla S is a luxury car that is an electric car first. All you hear about is how great it is and how wonderful everything is and nary a complaint about cost. While it may be a nice car it also is a damn expensive car once you get the better batteries and bigger electric motors. They will tell you how great the cars performance is but seldom do they toss out the top numbers.

When they speak on the CTS they make it clear if it is the V6 or V series and almost speak of them as if they were two different cars.

Now while the Volt is not cheap I do not see the price being near out of line as the Telsa S but the Volt gets beat into the ground for it. I just feel the Tesla gets a free pass and the Volt takes many more hits just because it is GM.

My long running thought has been the other companies have tried to nail the Volt as this technology is not cheap and if it proves to be the one of choice with the public as the price comes down it could cause the other companys the need to abandon the heavy investment they already have in their own electric progams. Companies like Toyota and Honda really want and need the Volt to fail or they will have to spend billions more to counter it.

Tesla is not as much of a threat as they are small and while they may compete in the market they just do not have the capaital to compete with the other nor will they have it for years to come if all goes right.

I feel Tesla will be sold off at some point the the investers will take the money and move on.

I am waiting to see how they people againts GM will attack the ELR too once it hits. 15 years ago pre Prius none of this would have happened but today I feel companies like Toyota and Honda often try to contol the media of the compitition more so than any other automakers.

If the Tesla was a GM car would it have been car of the year at Motor Trend at $106.000?

I can see Telsa becoming a division of GM, moved into the Caddy Family as a special sub division and then the technology used to move Volt everywhere with longer battery life and reducing the price greatly.

I would not hold my breath.

The odds are best on Toyota eithe buying or investing in Tesla to advance their own electric program. They have the money and they already are on strong speaking terms. That is when Musk thinks the value is enough to sell out.

We can still choose gas powered cars for now with little consequences. As supplies start to dry up and China and India start driving more and more, the future supply is going to be a huge problem. There will always be -some- oil available for people with classic cars, but in my opinion it will probably not be a practical, affordable way to power a vehicle in 20 years, hell maybe even 10 years.

annual-world-discovery-production-oil.gif

We have a lot of reserves here from testing but the question is will the EPA ever let us go for it? Also who ever is in office will go for it before we really need it.

I wish more people would put out to the public how screwed up and power hungry the EPA is anymore. I saw there were some on Capital Hill wanting to get more oversite for the EPA and hold them accountable as they have little accountability now.

Considering the large finds off the coast of Brazil, we have hardly truly check the whole planet and I think there is far more than we know in the ground, but considering that Natural Gas is a much cleaner source, we might as well just move over to CNG auto's and CNG Power Plants.

Define "large finds" when referencing the finds off the coast of Brazil.... the "find" there doesn't even land in the top 40 in terms of total oil field size.... and it is a mile deep in the ocean.

Define "large finds" when referencing the finds off the coast of Brazil.... the "find" there doesn't even land in the top 40 in terms of total oil field size.... and it is a mile deep in the ocean.

I am going by this Bloomberg story and others over the last 12 months that seem to feel Brazil now has bigger oil reserves than Venezuela.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-19/brazil-oil-fields-may-hold-more-than-twice-estimated-reserves.html

Nothing is for Certian till it is pumped.

There will always be -some- oil available for people with classic cars, but in my opinion it will probably not be a practical, affordable way to power a vehicle in 20 years, hell maybe even 10 years.

No big deal. It's very possible to bolt in the dual fuel setup out of a CNG Silverado into, at the very least, a classic GM car. For classic car enthusiasts, like myself, that actually like the resto-mod approach where you bolt in a newer powertrain into an older car, it isn't that big of a deal.

I also expect the classic car aftermarket to offer up some very interesting solutions with regards to converting classic cars over to a new fuel source.

Personally, I think if it's possible for us to make synthetic motor oil, it's possible to make a true synthetic replacement for gasoline that doesn't require any modification to an exsisting powertrain whatsoever.

Elon Musk, pshaw. Sounds like a bad 1970's cologne.

I was going to embed a video here as a response, but YouTube sucks because they had to just go and resh!tty up their website and get rid of the old embed codes in the process. Thanks, Google. I hope you all rot in hell.

P.S. Android SUCKS.

Edited by black-knight

• 2 months later...
Guest Happy Volt Owner

Good car with solid engineering efforts.

If it wasn't 40 grand, I would own one....

Good car with solid engineering efforts.

If it wasn't 40 grand, I would own one....

I've owned my Volt for almost 1 1/2 years. My cost is now under $30,000. It keeps going down every time my money stays in my pocket as I drive past the gas station.