Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Chrysler News: Gilles: Next 200 To Redefine Chrysler Design Language

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

January 18, 2013

When the next Chrysler 200 is introduced in 2014, its design will signal a change for the brand.

“The current Chryslers on the road today certainly don’t reflect where we’re headed. What I can safely say is we are deviating from where we are today, completely. It’s a very different feeling (and) look," said Chrysler chief designer, Ralph Gilles.

Gilles didn't go into detail about the direction the styling will go for the 200 and ultimately the Chrysler brand.

“Saad (Chehab, Chrysler brand president and CEO) and Sergio (Marchionne, Chrysler CEO) both were very instrumental in finding the new mission of the car – new branding. I think it’s going to be a beautiful and relevant vehicle,” Gilles said.

Other things the next 200 will have is a new nine-speed automatic and use Fiat's CUSW platform that currently underpins the Dodge Dart.

Source: WardsAuto

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

Interesting but this seems to tell me they are shooting themselves in the foot by clearly stating just how different the car will be. Guess they wanted to kill off any residual value in the current 200's.

Yeah, I can pick up a used 2012 200 with a few ticks over 30,000 miles for $12k. There wasn't much "residual value" in the current Sebring/200 to begin with, so no worries there.

Agreed my amphibious friend.

>>“The current Chryslers on the road today certainly don’t reflect where we’re headed. What I can safely say is we are deviating from where we are today, completely."<<

This sort of corporate commentary always amazes me. All I ever read out of the above is 'Our current stuff is a mistake, trust me that we'll get it right the next time'.

You just don't DO this sort of thing intentionally in commerce.

The 300 has become an icon through the last two generations. Dude HAS to know that, therefore, I choose to believe he is merely preparing the public for a vastly different styling future, not "exactly" dissing the current theme.

^ You don't have to "prepare" the public, you just unleash it withOUT addressing the strongly implied inadequacies of the current product.

Auto executives spend FAR too much time preparing press releases over things no one would think about otherwise.

Whatever the new 200 is, I hope they continue to offer a drop-top as when it comes to wanting a comfortable 4-place convertible that has good cargo room and isn't a muscle car this is the only American game in town. Always (secretly) liked the top-trim Limited hardtop convertibles, and with the refinements made from Sebring to 200 and the rock bottom prices on the used market I see it as a great value for a second car or a road trip cruiser.

>>“The current Chryslers on the road today certainly don’t reflect where we’re headed. What I can safely say is we are deviating from where we are today, completely."<<

This sort of corporate commentary always amazes me. All I ever read out of the above is 'Our current stuff is a mistake, trust me that we'll get it right the next time'.

In this situation that phrase can be given with a straight face. They are trying to erase the Daimler/Cerberus era. Any other time, and your assessment is spot on.

I really like the current 300, I don't know that they can go in another direction with it and not alienate the current customer base.

I really like the current 300, I don't know that they can go in another direction with it and not alienate the current customer base.

I agree Drew, I think if they deviate from the current 300 DNA too much, they will loose the folks who are buying the auto's.

It will be interesting to see where they go next....I really like the 300 as it is now, like the Charger and Challenger quite a bit also...hefty, sizeable, RWD, V8 available...everything i like in a car...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

>>"I agree Drew, I think if they deviate from the current 300 DNA too much, they will loose the folks who are buying the auto's."<<

Correct- the implication is that the 200 'is in need of' a major revision.... but clearly the 300 is not. Conflicted message there.

Again IMO; you can address the future, well & good, but the current need not be so addressed (from a PR standpoint).

thedriver : I don't know that the 'Daimler/Cerebus' ownership period is on many people's 'front radar' today.

I don't think the next-gen 200 will deviate too much from the current Chrysler formula. They'll exchange a few creases for a few more organic lines, and clean some of the small details up a bit.

Look at the 200C concept as a starting point and go from there.

Edited by black-knight

But the implementation is that they are going to radically change their auto DNA to go in the direction they feel they need to go. This could hurt more than help Chrysler if they are not careful.

That kinda burns me.... interior aside, how hard would it have been for Chrysler to build the 200c concept as is? THAT car would have sold and would have been a premium vehicle to wear the Chrysler name. It would have allowed Chrysler to drop the lower end 300C and push transaction prices higher though volume would be lower.

Maybe the new 200 will be on a smaller RWD platform to be shared with an unnamed Dodge and the new 'Cuda. That would kick ass.

I sure hope they don't style it so blandly like the Dart. Also a V6 should still be offered according to Chrysler from a smaller displacement version of the current 3.6 with 4 cylinder gas mileage.

I sure hope they don't style it so blandly like the Dart. Also a V6 should still be offered according to Chrysler from a smaller displacement version of the current 3.6 with 4 cylinder gas mileage.

I disagree with you on your comment about the dart, it is anything but bland. I find it to be one of the more stylish compacts out there, far better than anything Honda, Toyota, Nissan has and competes well with GM and better than Ford products.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. jry
      jry
    2. Chevy Ryan
      Chevy Ryan
    3. Aura XR
      Aura XR
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      FCA US Reports November 2017 Sales
      FCA US retail sales up 2 percent, compared with same month a year ago A 25 percent year-over-year decline in fleet sales is in line with the FCA US strategy to reduce sales to the daily rental segment Chrysler brand sales up 14 percent; Chrysler Pacifica minivan posts best sales month ever Sales of all-new Jeep® Compass up 34 percent; best ever November sales December 1, 2017 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported sales of 154,919 units, a 4 percent decrease compared with sales in November 2016 (160,827 units).

In November, retail sales of 129,539 units were up 2 percent compared with the same month in 2016 and represented 84 percent of total sales. In line with FCA’s strategy to reduce sales to the daily rental segment, fleet sales of 25,380 units were down, as expected, 25 percent year over year. The largest planned volume reduction in November fleet sales came from the Jeep® brand, which reduced its fleet sales number by 75 percent year over year. Fleet sales represented 16 percent of total FCA US November sales.

The Chrysler Pacifica minivan and the all-new Jeep Compass each posted record sales in November. Pacifica sales were up 51 percent for its best sales month ever, while Compass sales increased 34 percent for its best November sales ever. The Jeep Grand Cherokee recorded its best November sales since 2003. Other FCA US vehicles posting year-over-year sales increases in the month of November were the Chrysler 300, Fiat 500L, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Grand Caravan, Dodge Durango and Ram ProMaster City.
      Chrysler Brand
      Chrysler brand sales were up 14 percent in November, compared with the same month a year ago. Both the Chrysler Pacifica minivan and the Chrysler 300 full-size sedan posted sales increases in November. Pacifica sales were up 51 percent, the minivan’s best sales month ever. Green Car Reports named the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid as the 2018 Best Car to Buy. Its sister publication, The Car Connection, named the Pacifica as the 2018 Best Minivan to Buy. Sales of the 300 were up 15 percent in November, its best November sales since 2015. The 300 won the Large Car segment in Edmunds’ Most Wanted awards last month. This recognition honors the most in-demand vehicles based on sales, days-to-turn and shopper interest data on the Edmunds website.

Jeep Brand
      Sales of the all-new Jeep Compass increased 34 percent for its best November sales ever. The Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee each posted year-over-year sales increases. The Grand Cherokee turned in its best November sales since 2003. In addition, Jeep brand retail sales were up 13 percent in November, compared with the same month a year ago. The Jeep brand earlier this week introduced the next-generation 2018 Jeep Wrangler at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The all-new Wrangler – the most capable and recognized vehicle in the world – builds on its legendary history with an unmatched combination of off-road capability, open-air freedom, advanced fuel-efficient powertrains, authentic Jeep design, superior on- and off-road dynamics, and a host of innovative safety and advanced technology features.

Dodge Brand
      Sales of the Dodge Grand Caravan and the Dodge Durango SUV were up year over year in November. Grand Caravan sales increased 28 percent last month, while the Durango posted a 9 percent increase, compared with the same month a year ago. The Dodge brand announced last month that it has begun shipping the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon – the most powerful muscle car in history – to its Dodge dealers in the U.S.

Ram Truck Brand
      Sales of the Ram ProMaster City van were up 21 percent in November, compared with the same month a year ago. In addition, Ram Truck brand retail sales were up 3 percent in November. The Ram Truck brand last month unveiled its new, special-edition 2018 Ram 1500 Hydro Blue Sport. The Hydro Blue Sport will be the final special-edition Sport the brand will offer in the 2017 calendar year. Previously, Ram launched Sublime (Green) and Copper Sport limited-edition trucks earlier this year and an Ignition Orange edition in late 2016.

FIAT Brand
      Sales of the Fiat 500L increased 32 percent last month for its best November sales since 2015.

Alfa Romeo Brand
      Alfa Romeo brand sales of 1,440 units were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago as the launch of the all-new 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio SUV continues in U.S. dealerships. Earlier this week, the editors of Motor Trend named the Alfa Romeo Giulia as its 2018 Car of the Year, best representing exceptional value, superiority in its class and impact on the automotive scene.
      FCA US LLC Sales Summary November 2017
                          Month Sales
      Vol %
      CYTD Sales
      Vol %
        Model
      Curr Yr
      Pr Yr
      Change
      Curr Yr
      Pr Yr
      Change
        Compass
      34%
      -13%
        Patriot
      -96%
      -65%
        Wrangler
      3%
      0%
        Cherokee
      44%
      -18%
        Grand Cherokee
      8%
      15%
        Renegade
      -23%
      1%
        JEEP BRAND
      -2%
      -10%
      -87%
      -67%
      15%
      -8%
        Town & Country
      -99%
      -99%
        Pacifica
      51%
      106%
        CHRYSLER BRAND
      14%
      -20%
        Dart
      -94%
      -76%
        Avenger
      -100%
      -73%
        Charger
      -34%
      -8%
        Challenger
      -1%
      1%
        Viper
      -89%
      1%
        Journey
      -32%
      -12%
        Caravan
      28%
      -2%
        Durango
      9%
      1%
        DODGE  BRAND
      -15%
      -11%
        Ram P/U
      0%
      3%
        Cargo Van
      0%
      -100%
        ProMaster Van
      -46%
      4%
        ProMaster City
      21%
      -4%
        RAM BRAND
      -5%
      3%
      -32%
      -14%
        500L
      32%
      -49%
        500X
      -32%
      -36%
        Spider
      -23%
      88%
        FIAT BRAND
      -28%
      -18%
        Giulia
      New
      New
        Alfa 4C 
      17%
      -17%
        Stelvio
      New
      New
        ALFA ROMEO
      6161%
      2055%
        FCA US LLC
      -4%
      -8%

• By William Maley
      Hyundai was caught off guard by the rise of crossovers with their car heavy lineup. This has caused their sales to fall down. But the Korean automaker is hoping to change that with the announcement of eight new or redesigned crossover models by 2020.
      The plan will begin with the launch of the Kona crossover in March and will include a wide range of models from a small A-segment model to 8-seat midsize model taking the place of the Santa Fe. There are also plans for an electric, hydrogen, and diesel powered models. The electric one is likely the Kona.
      “The Kona is only the beginning of our product revolution for Hyundai. These vehicles are aimed squarely at the sales leaders in each segment and will emphasize Hyundai’s continued focus on sustainability and efficiency without compromising performance,”  said Mike O’Brien, Hyundai Motor America vice president for Product Planning.
      Source: Hyundai
      Press Release is on Page 2

Hyundai Motor America to Release Eight New Crossover Utility Vehicles by the Year 2020
      Vehicles will be powered by Gasoline, Diesel, Hydrogen and Electricity  SUPERIOR TWP., Mich., Nov. 15, 2017 – Hyundai Motor America today announced its commitment to debut eight new or re-engineered crossover utility vehicles (CUVs) in the United States by the year 2020 during a press conference at the Hyundai America Technical Center. Beginning with the launch of the Kona small CUV in March, this new lineup will encompass models from the A-segment (entry level) size class all the way up to the eight-passenger midsize class. Hyundai also will showcase its latest gasoline engine, diesel engine, hydrogen fuel cell and battery electric technologies in these vehicles.
      “Very soon we are going to have the most diverse CUV powertrain lineup in the industry,” said Mike O’Brien, vice president, product, corporate and digital planning, Hyundai Motor America. “These vehicles will show the engineering prowess of the more than 13,000 engineers Hyundai Motor Company has working on current and future models every single day. Our customers are going to have a lot of great CUV choices in our dealerships.”  
      Debuting at major auto shows including those in Detroit, New York and Los Angeles, this new fleet of CUVs will maintain Hyundai’s promise to make customer’s lives and driving experiences better. Further, Hyundai will be the only manufacturer offering CUV customers four different fuel choices.
      “The Kona is only the beginning of our product revolution for Hyundai,” O’Brien, added. “These vehicles are aimed squarely at the sales leaders in each segment and will emphasize Hyundai’s continued focus on sustainability and efficiency without compromising performance.”

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai was caught off guard by the rise of crossovers with their car heavy lineup. This has caused their sales to fall down. But the Korean automaker is hoping to change that with the announcement of eight new or redesigned crossover models by 2020.
      The plan will begin with the launch of the Kona crossover in March and will include a wide range of models from a small A-segment model to 8-seat midsize model taking the place of the Santa Fe. There are also plans for an electric, hydrogen, and diesel powered models. The electric one is likely the Kona.
      “The Kona is only the beginning of our product revolution for Hyundai. These vehicles are aimed squarely at the sales leaders in each segment and will emphasize Hyundai’s continued focus on sustainability and efficiency without compromising performance,”  said Mike O’Brien, Hyundai Motor America vice president for Product Planning.
      Source: Hyundai

Hyundai Motor America to Release Eight New Crossover Utility Vehicles by the Year 2020
      Vehicles will be powered by Gasoline, Diesel, Hydrogen and Electricity  SUPERIOR TWP., Mich., Nov. 15, 2017 – Hyundai Motor America today announced its commitment to debut eight new or re-engineered crossover utility vehicles (CUVs) in the United States by the year 2020 during a press conference at the Hyundai America Technical Center. Beginning with the launch of the Kona small CUV in March, this new lineup will encompass models from the A-segment (entry level) size class all the way up to the eight-passenger midsize class. Hyundai also will showcase its latest gasoline engine, diesel engine, hydrogen fuel cell and battery electric technologies in these vehicles.
      “Very soon we are going to have the most diverse CUV powertrain lineup in the industry,” said Mike O’Brien, vice president, product, corporate and digital planning, Hyundai Motor America. “These vehicles will show the engineering prowess of the more than 13,000 engineers Hyundai Motor Company has working on current and future models every single day. Our customers are going to have a lot of great CUV choices in our dealerships.”  
      Debuting at major auto shows including those in Detroit, New York and Los Angeles, this new fleet of CUVs will maintain Hyundai’s promise to make customer’s lives and driving experiences better. Further, Hyundai will be the only manufacturer offering CUV customers four different fuel choices.
      “The Kona is only the beginning of our product revolution for Hyundai,” O’Brien, added. “These vehicles are aimed squarely at the sales leaders in each segment and will emphasize Hyundai’s continued focus on sustainability and efficiency without compromising performance.”
    • By William Maley
      Mitsubishi has unveiled a new three-year strategic plan called 'Drive for Growth'. The Japanese automaker wants to increase unit sales and revenue by 30 percent - about 1.3 million vehicles sold in the case of the former. It also plans on improving profit margins from 0.3 to 6 percent. To pull this off, Mitsubishi will be working on reducing costs in development and manufacturing, along with investing $5.3 billion for new products and revamping key markets.
      In terms of products, Mitsubishi is planning on launching 11 new and redesigned models over next three years. For the U.S., this means the Outlander PHEV and upcoming Eclipse Cross. The U.S. will also see Mitsubishi work on improving their dealer network.
      "We will re-energize our dealership network. We are reviewing our incentive plans, both to attract new dealers and to encourage existing ones to achieve better sales," said Trevor Mann, COO of Mitsubishi Motors.
      The goal is to see a 30 percent increase in sales to 130,000 vehicles by the 2019 fiscal year.
      For other markets, this is what Mitsubishi is planning,
      For Southeast Asia (Mitsubishi's largest and most profitable marketplace), a new assembly plant in Indonesia and the launch of Xpander multi-purpose vehicle The focus in Japan is revitalizing their mini-car business after the fuel economy manipulation scandal China will see an expansion in dealers with the goal to sell 220,000 vehicles by 2019 There will be one thing the U.S. will be missing out from Mitsubishi. It was expected that the tie-up with Nissan that begun last year would provide some help for the U.S. But according to Automotive News, Mitsubishi will be going on its own for this region. There are three reasons for this; antitrust concerns between the two companies, vehicles using common engines and platforms not being ready, and Mitsubishi wanting to build the brand back up on their own strengths.
      Source: Mitsubishi Motors, Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      MITSUBISHI MOTORS LAUNCHES ‘DRIVE FOR GROWTH’ PLAN TO INCREASE VOLUMES, REVENUES AND PROFITABILITY
      Three-year plan targets more than 30 percent increase in unit sales and revenues Operating profit margin to reach 6 percent or more Capital expenditure and R&D investment to increase to more than 600 billion yen over the three-year period Product renewal to accelerate with launch of six new models including Eclipse Cross SUV Market expansion planned in ASEAN, US and China TOKYO, Japan – Mitsubishi Motors today launched "Drive for Growth," a three-year strategic plan to deliver sustained and profitable growth, targeting an increase of more than 30% in both annual unit sales to 1.3 million vehicles and in revenues to 2.5 trillion yen.
      Under the plan, Mitsubishi Motors aims to achieve an operating profit margin of 6% or more by the end of fiscal 2019, up from 0.3% in fiscal 2016. The plan combines a product renewal program with targeted market expansion and operating efficiency improvements.
      Osamu Masuko, Mitsubishi Motors chief executive, said: "Drive for Growth is a new roadmap for Mitsubishi Motors. We will rebuild trust in our company as our highest priority, successfully launch new vehicles, and achieve a V-shaped financial recovery. These will be the foundations for our future sustainable growth, which will involve increased capital expenditure and product development spending."
      The Drive for Growth plan involves a 60% increase in annual capital expenditure to 137 billion yen in fiscal 2019 – lifting spending as a proportion of sales to 5.5% a year. R&D expenses will rise by 50% to 133 billion yen over the same period. In total, this will amount to more than 600 billion yen in investments. Even with these increases, Mitsubishi Motors will maintain financial discipline and generate positive free cash flow during the period. The company intends to establish a competitive dividend policy comparable to those of other Japanese automotive manufacturers. 
      As part of its investment drive, Mitsubishi Motors plans to strengthen its four-wheel drive SUVs and pick-ups, and to launch 11 models including the XPANDER and Eclipse Cross. The product renewal program will coincide with a market expansion drive in the ASEAN region, Oceania, United States, China and Japan.
      Mr. Masuko said: "This is an ambitious program to maximize our strengths in growing product segments, especially four-wheel drive, and to pursue growth in markets where our brand has strong potential, particularly the ASEAN region. This growth program will also involve an efficient and disciplined operating structure as we continue to manage costs."
      Under Drive for Growth, Mitsubishi Motors is targeting a market share of 10% in ASEAN. Sales activities will be reinforced in the US. The company's presence in China will be strengthened with the introduction of models such as the Outlander and Eclipse Cross. And the company will invest in its sales network and product portfolio to return to profitability in Japan by the end of the plan.
      The strategic plan is based on three strategic initiatives:
      Product renewal: During the period of the plan, Mitsubishi Motors will launch 11 new models, of which six will be entirely new model changes – averaging two each year – while the remainder will be important updates of existing vehicles. By the end of the plan, the company expects its five best-selling global models consisting of SUV, 4WD, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) to account for 70% of total sales volume. Reflecting the shift to lower emission models, the company also announced that it plans to provide electrified solutions across its core model range including an EV kei car from 2020. Focus on core markets to drive revenue growth: This year's opening of a new assembly plant in Indonesia, and the recent launch of the XPANDER multi-purpose vehicle, will drive the growth of the ASEAN business, the group's largest and most profitable operation. ASEAN volumes are expected to rise from 206,000 units a year to 310,000 units a year in 2019. Mitsubishi Motors will also launch new models to assist the turnaround of its important mini-car business in Japan. In the US, the company will improve its dealership networks, targeting a 30% increase in unit sales to 130,000 units in fiscal 2019. In China, Mitsubishi Motors will double the number of dealerships and more than double sales to 220,000 units in fiscal 2019.  Cost Optimization: Mitsubishi Motors will tightly manage production costs, with a target to reduce monozukuri costs by 1.3% per year, in spite of large investments in R&D. Alongside cost management, the company will benefit from growing synergies from its membership of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance. Mitsubishi Motors is seeking synergies totaling more than 100 billion yen over the course of the plan, with the bulk of these to come from efficiencies in procurement and costs avoided in R&D.  Mitsubishi Motors will contribute its expertise in PHEV technology, its capabilities in SUVs and pick-ups, and market strengths in the ASEAN region to the wider synergy program of the Alliance, which aims to double annualized synergies to more than 10 billion euros by the end of 2022.
      "We are refreshing our product line-up, investing in R&D and targeting core market growth," added Mr. Masuko. "Drive for Growth will enable us to continue the transformation of the company over the next three years."

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Mitsubishi has unveiled a new three-year strategic plan called 'Drive for Growth'. The Japanese automaker wants to increase unit sales and revenue by 30 percent - about 1.3 million vehicles sold in the case of the former. It also plans on improving profit margins from 0.3 to 6 percent. To pull this off, Mitsubishi will be working on reducing costs in development and manufacturing, along with investing $5.3 billion for new products and revamping key markets.
      In terms of products, Mitsubishi is planning on launching 11 new and redesigned models over next three years. For the U.S., this means the Outlander PHEV and upcoming Eclipse Cross. The U.S. will also see Mitsubishi work on improving their dealer network.
      "We will re-energize our dealership network. We are reviewing our incentive plans, both to attract new dealers and to encourage existing ones to achieve better sales," said Trevor Mann, COO of Mitsubishi Motors.
      The goal is to see a 30 percent increase in sales to 130,000 vehicles by the 2019 fiscal year.
      For other markets, this is what Mitsubishi is planning,
      For Southeast Asia (Mitsubishi's largest and most profitable marketplace), a new assembly plant in Indonesia and the launch of Xpander multi-purpose vehicle The focus in Japan is revitalizing their mini-car business after the fuel economy manipulation scandal China will see an expansion in dealers with the goal to sell 220,000 vehicles by 2019 There will be one thing the U.S. will be missing out from Mitsubishi. It was expected that the tie-up with Nissan that begun last year would provide some help for the U.S. But according to Automotive News, Mitsubishi will be going on its own for this region. There are three reasons for this; antitrust concerns between the two companies, vehicles using common engines and platforms not being ready, and Mitsubishi wanting to build the brand back up on their own strengths.
      Source: Mitsubishi Motors, Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      MITSUBISHI MOTORS LAUNCHES ‘DRIVE FOR GROWTH’ PLAN TO INCREASE VOLUMES, REVENUES AND PROFITABILITY
      Three-year plan targets more than 30 percent increase in unit sales and revenues Operating profit margin to reach 6 percent or more Capital expenditure and R&D investment to increase to more than 600 billion yen over the three-year period Product renewal to accelerate with launch of six new models including Eclipse Cross SUV Market expansion planned in ASEAN, US and China TOKYO, Japan – Mitsubishi Motors today launched "Drive for Growth," a three-year strategic plan to deliver sustained and profitable growth, targeting an increase of more than 30% in both annual unit sales to 1.3 million vehicles and in revenues to 2.5 trillion yen.
      Under the plan, Mitsubishi Motors aims to achieve an operating profit margin of 6% or more by the end of fiscal 2019, up from 0.3% in fiscal 2016. The plan combines a product renewal program with targeted market expansion and operating efficiency improvements.
      Osamu Masuko, Mitsubishi Motors chief executive, said: "Drive for Growth is a new roadmap for Mitsubishi Motors. We will rebuild trust in our company as our highest priority, successfully launch new vehicles, and achieve a V-shaped financial recovery. These will be the foundations for our future sustainable growth, which will involve increased capital expenditure and product development spending."
      The Drive for Growth plan involves a 60% increase in annual capital expenditure to 137 billion yen in fiscal 2019 – lifting spending as a proportion of sales to 5.5% a year. R&D expenses will rise by 50% to 133 billion yen over the same period. In total, this will amount to more than 600 billion yen in investments. Even with these increases, Mitsubishi Motors will maintain financial discipline and generate positive free cash flow during the period. The company intends to establish a competitive dividend policy comparable to those of other Japanese automotive manufacturers. 
      As part of its investment drive, Mitsubishi Motors plans to strengthen its four-wheel drive SUVs and pick-ups, and to launch 11 models including the XPANDER and Eclipse Cross. The product renewal program will coincide with a market expansion drive in the ASEAN region, Oceania, United States, China and Japan.
      Mr. Masuko said: "This is an ambitious program to maximize our strengths in growing product segments, especially four-wheel drive, and to pursue growth in markets where our brand has strong potential, particularly the ASEAN region. This growth program will also involve an efficient and disciplined operating structure as we continue to manage costs."
      Under Drive for Growth, Mitsubishi Motors is targeting a market share of 10% in ASEAN. Sales activities will be reinforced in the US. The company's presence in China will be strengthened with the introduction of models such as the Outlander and Eclipse Cross. And the company will invest in its sales network and product portfolio to return to profitability in Japan by the end of the plan.
      The strategic plan is based on three strategic initiatives:
      Product renewal: During the period of the plan, Mitsubishi Motors will launch 11 new models, of which six will be entirely new model changes – averaging two each year – while the remainder will be important updates of existing vehicles. By the end of the plan, the company expects its five best-selling global models consisting of SUV, 4WD, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) to account for 70% of total sales volume. Reflecting the shift to lower emission models, the company also announced that it plans to provide electrified solutions across its core model range including an EV kei car from 2020. Focus on core markets to drive revenue growth: This year's opening of a new assembly plant in Indonesia, and the recent launch of the XPANDER multi-purpose vehicle, will drive the growth of the ASEAN business, the group's largest and most profitable operation. ASEAN volumes are expected to rise from 206,000 units a year to 310,000 units a year in 2019. Mitsubishi Motors will also launch new models to assist the turnaround of its important mini-car business in Japan. In the US, the company will improve its dealership networks, targeting a 30% increase in unit sales to 130,000 units in fiscal 2019. In China, Mitsubishi Motors will double the number of dealerships and more than double sales to 220,000 units in fiscal 2019.  Cost Optimization: Mitsubishi Motors will tightly manage production costs, with a target to reduce monozukuri costs by 1.3% per year, in spite of large investments in R&D. Alongside cost management, the company will benefit from growing synergies from its membership of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance. Mitsubishi Motors is seeking synergies totaling more than 100 billion yen over the course of the plan, with the bulk of these to come from efficiencies in procurement and costs avoided in R&D.  Mitsubishi Motors will contribute its expertise in PHEV technology, its capabilities in SUVs and pick-ups, and market strengths in the ASEAN region to the wider synergy program of the Alliance, which aims to double annualized synergies to more than 10 billion euros by the end of 2022.
      "We are refreshing our product line-up, investing in R&D and targeting core market growth," added Mr. Masuko. "Drive for Growth will enable us to continue the transformation of the company over the next three years."
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook