The $22,000 Question

smk4565

I am about ready to buy a new car, and have narrowed the search down to a previous generation E-class, 2007-2009, or a used Hyundai Genesis 4.6. I am looking for rwd, and not really a fan of the 300C or the CTS, and don't want a BMW either. So that leaves me with these two, first up is a 43,000 mile Genesis 4.6 and it is under a 2 hour drive to the dealer.

http://www.ncautoauction.com/detail-2009-hyundai-genesis-4dr_sdn_4_6l_v8-used-10629235.html

The other option is a 2008, 69,000 mile E550 with AMG sport package and Designo interior package, so it is fully loaded, with a good carfax report, but I would be buying it without seeing it in person and have to spend $750 to ship the car from Tampa to Pittsburgh.

http://www.jaguaroftampa.com/used/Mercedes-Benz/2008-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-1ccf38020a0a0049010a9da79f36e9c8.htm

So is it the better performing, better equipped, better built E-class (but with the risk of buying it in Florida), or save $3,000 on the newer, less driven, under warranty, safer choice Genesis?

Well I make an average income, but I always have money in savings. So a high price repair wouldn't kill me, but if I had to spend $2,500 on something, I'd rather go to Disney World for a week than to fix the AirMatic suspension. If I had to do a repair like that, it would be no vacation for me that year. The E550 has only had some repairs to the sun visor and sun roof motor, and some gaskets and seals, nothing major so far.

I drive about 8,000 miles a year now, so even if that goes to 10,000 a year, I can keep the car for 10 years and that is 100,000 miles. So that pute the Genesis at 143,000 miles and the E550 at 170,000, which I think either car will last that long. There are a lot of 200-250,000 mile Mercedes out there, and a lot of 1980s Mercedes still out there, their cars last.

I ruled out the C-class because it is mostly C300s at that price and those are underpowered, and not as nice an interior as the Genesis or E-class. and I ruled out anything bigger than a Genesis, because an 06 S-class on paper might seem like a good idea, but they would be a pain in parking lots, parking garages, etc.

The Aurora has been big enough, it is a wide car too. But I am ready for something smaller and more agile, I don't want to go so small as a 3-series or C-class, and I don't like BMW styling anyway. E-class is a nice middle size, Genesis is as big as I would go. There is no Japanese car I like either, and the Jaguar XF's are too expensive, and the retro looking XJ is just too retro, and that is a long car, that is small on the inside.

I am leaning toward the E550, their V8 sounds good, the badge is better, and on resale, I think a Mercedes always has value, it is like Honda and Toyota, that even with 200,000 miles, some fool will pay $5,000 for it. The value quotient of the Genesis is hard to beat though.

No Infiniti M?

Never liked the looks of that car or the interior, but they are in the price range and I had thought about it. I have driven a G37 and didn't like it, it is too herky jerky, and isn't really all that luxurious.

It basically comes down to E550 or a Genesis with $3,000+ to spend on something else. I think I would be happy with either car.

G8 lacks the luxury and refinement of the Genesis or Mercedes and I already own a car from a dead brand.

If I did a lot of highway driving or drove 20,000 miles a year, the diesel E-class would have the win, but since I don't drive that much, it makes a V8 affordable, and this may be the last chance for a V8, because in 8 years or so the only cars with V8s will be ones I can't afford.

The Genesis doesn't have much cool factor or curb appeal, and it does ride a bit soft and have lighter steering, so it isn't too sporty. But it is cheaper to buy probably cheaper to maintain, so it is the more economical choice. E550 is more bad ass, and probably more fun to own.

The guy we see at the donut shop every other sunday or so has a black Genesis, it's a nice looking rig. It does have a presence about it.

The interiors I think they could have massaged a bit more ............

There really isn't a lot of RWD biased cars with v8 anymore, is there.

Is an STSv out of the question?

Cadillac_STS_V_1.jpg

Edited by regfootball

Speaking of size, 207" long and 74.5" wide definitely seems huge compared to my relatively small Jeep at my office's new reserved covered parking spots..esp. with pillars in every space they feel very narrow, and backing out it is a 2-3 point turn (been driving the DTS quite a bit lately).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

SMK hates the STS interior

I actually don't (I thought the 2008 refresh almost made it worse though with the metal trim), I like that interior, my complaint is the center stack doesn't angle toward the driver like the 03-07 CTS did. The interior is sort of cheap though, the level of materials isn't really up to German standards. I drove an STS years ago and thought it was sort of floaty, it is similar to the Genesis with that big car body roll in corners. The STS didn't really win me over, I'd rather have a Genesis from 2009-2010 over top of an STS from 2006-2008 because they are basically the same equipment and the Hyundai has more power and is newer.

STS-V I had thought about in the past, because they are cheap and look good, but I don't like the suede seat inserts, and 469 hp is overkill really, and it is really thirsty. If the 2009 E-class had a 300+ hp V6 that would be great, or a turbo V6 like they will offer this year, but since they don't I'd rather have the V8 than that 268 hp V6, because a 268 hp V6 sounds like what the Camry has.

I am pretty close to a deal on the E550, I drive alone almost always so I don't need a big roomy car, and the E-class is a bit better in handling and I like the look more with the AMG wheels. Plus the resale will be better on the E-class, assuming I keep either car 8 years, the E550 I could still sell for something, where as no one wants a 12 year old Hyundai. It is the same situation I am in now, a 13 year old Aurora is worth like $1500, but a 13 year old Mercedes or Lexus with 150,000 miles will sell for $6,000 just because of the badge. The E550 will cost about $3,000 more now, but I will get that back in the end I bet, so the price is a wash.

Speaking of size, 207" long and 74.5" wide definitely seems huge compared to my relatively small Jeep at my office's new reserved covered parking spots..esp. with pillars in every space they feel very narrow, and backing out it is a 2-3 point turn (been driving the DTS quite a bit lately).

In fairness to other long cars out there, the DTS has an unusually large turning radius for its size.

In fairness to other long cars out there, the DTS has an unusually large turning radius for its size.

I've noticed that..the parking spaces are also narrow, narrower than the regular uncovered ones in the lot and the area I'm backing out into is rather narrow--a row of covered parking along the back of the lot with the back of an office building across from the spaces, barely 2 lanes between the parking row and the building.

A lot of parking lot spaces are narrow, especially pay lots and garages because they want to squeeze in extra spaces for more revenue. In 10 years time we might all be driving electric boxes anyway. Look at the big cars of the 70s or 80s, then how there were less in the 90s, and now a LaCrosse and Avalon at 198 inches long are considered big. In 10 years, the Camry and Accord might be considered full size, while the Cruze and Focus become mid-size family sedans, because Sparks and Toyota IQs become what the Cavalier and Corolla once were.

how many miles on the Aurora now?

149,000. The check engine light has been on most of the year due to some air flow sensors, the check gas cap light is on, service stability system warning comes on daily, and the felt headliner on the sunroof cover is falling. I've replaced 3 of the chrome wheels since they corroded, the last remaining original needs replaced and 2 new tires, possibly brakes because they squeak terribly, and it burns/leaks 1 quart of oil every 3 months. The GM build quality is showing up in full force this year, and I really maintained that car and kept it clean over the years.

how many miles on the Aurora now?

149,000. The check engine light has been on most of the year due to some air flow sensors, the check gas cap light is on, service stability system warning comes on daily, and the felt headliner on the sunroof cover is falling. I've replaced 3 of the chrome wheels since they corroded, the last remaining original needs replaced and 2 new tires, possibly brakes because they squeak terribly, and it burns/leaks 1 quart of oil every 3 months. The GM build quality is showing up in full force this year, and I really maintained that car and kept it clean over the years.

My '01 Bonneville's at about 119,000 and I'm having some of the same problems you are, especially the "check gas cap" message, the stability system warning bell almost every time I accelerate from a stop, and the headliner coming loose.

I'd love to get into something newer (and RWD), but we'll be replacing my wife's '99 Maxima (just turned 160,000) first. Probably next year.

more than 22k, but i sht my pants yesterday as i actually saw a new Kia Cadenza in these fwd parts yesterday, with a new reg sticker on it. wait 11 months and you could prob get a new one for 25k!

edit: never mind. i thought the cadenza was rwd but i guess it is front.

Edited by regfootball

I decided to go with the Mercedes, it was $23k with tax, title, etc all total, and $600 to ship from Florida. I think it is pretty unbeatable for an E550, so I'll see how it goes. The E-class has been the go-to mid size luxury sedan for the past 25 years or so, I think it is a safe bet. The Genesis is a nice car, but doesn't have the track record of the E-class, the E-class is proven.

Kia does have a RWD car coming, the Quorros or something like that, it is based off the Genesis platform obviously, but I don't know if it is supposed to be Genesis size or Equus size or something in between. Rumor is Hyundai is working on a smaller rear drive sedan, more like ATS and 3-series size, 2.0T and 3.8 V6 with 8-speed transmission, could be a pretty nice package for those that want RWD in a smaller than full size package and can't afford BMW pricing.

[...] could be a pretty nice package for those that want RWD in a smaller than full size package and can't afford BMW pricing.

... or are completely opposed to paying BMW pricing. ;)

Congrats on the new ride though. Post pics if you're so inclined.

I decided to go with the Mercedes, it was $23k with tax, title, etc all total, and $600 to ship from Florida. I think it is pretty unbeatable for an E550, so I'll see how it goes. The E-class has been the go-to mid size luxury sedan for the past 25 years or so, I think it is a safe bet. The Genesis is a nice car, but doesn't have the track record of the E-class, the E-class is proven.

Kia does have a RWD car coming, the Quorros or something like that, it is based off the Genesis platform obviously, but I don't know if it is supposed to be Genesis size or Equus size or something in between. Rumor is Hyundai is working on a smaller rear drive sedan, more like ATS and 3-series size, 2.0T and 3.8 V6 with 8-speed transmission, could be a pretty nice package for those that want RWD in a smaller than full size package and can't afford BMW pricing.

Yes, I was confusing it with the Quoris.......

and congrats on the E! pictures! when they get it off the truck, hopefully unharmed in shipping.

I'll give you 1200 for your Aurora, I don't care about the headliner!

Edited by regfootball

Probably, the car overall is in pretty good shape, but it would need a wheel, 2 tires, and some sensors and the check engine light addressed. It will need an oil change and possibly brake pads in front, but a used car shop could do all that work and turn it around and sell it for $3,000. The driver's seat leather is in decent shape, the other seating positions the leather is basically like new. Most cheap used cars suck, the Aurora at least has auto climate, rainsense wipers, Bose stereo, rides well, and the V8 is smooth.